Poll: Is your v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?

miriya

Yamato v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Broken or Perfect? Lets see the numbers.

• Mine is Perfect! Thank you Yamato!
    • Mine is Broken! Thanks for nothing!
    • Mine is not broken or perfect but I have complaints.

I don't think scrapping it makes much sense because it would continually need to be rebuilt as shoulders will continue to break the longer people have the toys. If we scrapped it, everyone voted again, then once again six months later we'd be right back in this perdicament. I think we should just trust David's efforts to get this to as close to accurate as possible.

My thought are that if the poll is scrapped, not everyone's going to vote again. And we'll certainly get like 99% "it broke" votes since the people who WOULD vote again are probably the people who had one break after they voted it was fine.

So anyhow, I got along to fixing my broken Roy Right Shoulder. (The broken Roy Left Shoulder has been long since fixed.)

I was transforming to battroid when the latch caught the weakened shoulder. That twisted the hinge part, meaning I can no longer ignore it. So I stripped the valk apart. Turns out, I couldn't quite get the part to simple glue back together, because of a couple of reasons:

The blurr in the pin at this point was clearly too big for the hole. This is something Yamato claim to be fixing.

The second part is that there apparently a mold line on the swing arm portion which will agitate the hole area whenever you swing the shoulder out. This I don't think has been discussed previously, so you guys might want to keep an eye out for it.

Long story short, I dremeled the pin down, AND I dremeled the swing arm down too. That made it possible to reglue the hinge in and now everything seems to be ok. I'm not going to include pics because I think some of us can't stomach the thought of dremeling into such an expensive toy -- but due to the too-perfect fit for these moving parts, I think a little bit of filing in that area doesn't hurt for this situation.

The blurr in the pin at this point was clearly too big for the hole. This is something Yamato claim to be fixing.

nobody else modded the pin to prevent the hinge from cracking all the way though... ha... i also think the sloped part of the hinge contributes to the problem... less plastic, less area to take the stress...

also noticed that there are supposed to be detents for the wings but it doesn't work coz they didn't make it too well... B))

nobody else modded the pin to prevent the hinge from cracking all the way though... ha... i also think the sloped part of the hinge contributes to the problem... less plastic, less area to take the stress...

also noticed that there are supposed to be detents for the wings but it doesn't work coz they didn't make it too well... B))

With a dremel, everything's sandable. :D It works out ok because you just need to take a bit off, a tungsten carbide cutter does the trick fine. Gotta be careful to keep it even though.

The detents, I suspect is related to the extent to which you screwed the retaining pins in. Too slack and there's no detent. Too tight and it's ALL detent. Hard to get it just right.

The right shoulder on mine has a crack, had no idea until a few days ago. Noticed that the hinges were noticeably looser, knew of the crack on the left hinge, looked at the right, found it cracked.

No rough housing, no man handling, none of that. Played with yes, posed a lot yes, transformed a lot yes, messed with detrimentally? No. Not at all.

Both hinges are cracked, towards the end where the burred side of the pin is. I'm afraid that if I remove the pins, sand them down, glue the hinges at the cracks, and reinsert the pin that the hinges will crack again due to tension from the pin moving.

Edited by Shin Densetsu Kai 7.0

No rough housing, no man handling, none of that. Played with yes, posed a lot yes, transformed a lot yes, messed with detrimentally? No. Not at all.

I treat my valks the same. Come to find out while posing yesterday during transformation into battroid. The left side on my Roy 1S is cracked and the right side on my Hikaru 1A is cracked as well :( . I guess you can chalk me up on the list. How does this OverDrive parts replacement deal work out $ wise?

How does this OverDrive parts replacement deal work out $ wise?
I think you just email them with a request, tell them which parts you need, and they get back to you when they get the parts from Yamato. I think you just pay the cost of shipping via paypal $8 or so. The bad thing being that recently someone here got replacement shoulders that were cracked right out of the box.

I'm really, really hoping that the smaller diameter pin kills off the cracking hinge problem. Such a solid toy except for those hinges. I've analyzed the toy thoroughly, fix those hinges and you have a toy more durable than the 1/48 which itself was very durable to begin with. I can transform it with no problems, the nose hatch is a breeze to get the hip bar in and out of.

Does anyone have have problems transforming the Hikaru VF-1s? I currently have it in battroid mode and can't get the leg swing bar out of the fuselage. Its really tight. I even tried the rotating the legs forward technique that collection dx did in their review of the Hikaru vf-1A.

I haven't encountered this problem with my other v2 1/60's (4). I'm afraid that I will break it trying to transform the darn thing back to fighter mode.

I think you just email them with a request, tell them which parts you need, and they get back to you when they get the parts from Yamato. I think you just pay the cost of shipping via paypal $8 or so. The bad thing being that recently someone here got replacement shoulders that were cracked right out of the box.

I'm really, really hoping that the smaller diameter pin kills off the cracking hinge problem.

I guess I will wait a bit. Does the 1J and/or 1D have smaller diameter pins?

No, according to Graham the factory workers were just told to be a lot more careful installing the pin which means the plastic isn't fatigued right off the bat (and probably the burr end isn't as fat) and that's why those don't seem to have a problem in comparison to the original VF-1S that had lots of broken shoulders.

Does anyone have have problems transforming the Hikaru VF-1s? I currently have it in battroid mode and can't get the leg swing bar out of the fuselage. Its really tight. I even tried the rotating the legs forward technique that collection dx did in their review of the Hikaru vf-1A.
You have to make sure the swing bar is at an angle, if it is parallel to the back, the hip bar will be difficult to take out. Pull on the back section so that it will angle the swing bar, then swing both hips forward simultaneously. This should pop out the bar.

You have to make sure the swing bar is at an angle, if it is parallel to the back, the hip bar will be difficult to take out. Pull on the back section so that it will angle the swing bar, then swing both hips forward simultaneously. This should pop out the bar.

Thanks Shin!!! I've tried to transform this darn thing for 2 nites in a row, and with your suggestion I get it under 2 minutes. :p

No, the upcoming Max releases are supposed to.

Ah I see...then what's so special about the 1D. I mean...it feels different. Is this feeling the POM?

The left shoulder of my VF-1S Strike Roy finally developed a crack this weekend <_<

BOOOOOOO! <_<

• 2 weeks later...

nothing big. I just cut out a thin strip of metal and cut into the wall (where the arrow is pointing to) to anchor it and glued the strip against it. Then I folded the strip over the busted hinge, used a nail the same thickness as the hinge pin to punch out a hole and then replaced the hinge pin.

Oh, and shaved down the inside of the hinge a little with a file so it would still fit. Did it a few months ago and it's held up to repeated posing/transformation.

• 4 weeks later...

Opened the box of mine today. Some paint chipping on the left black and yellow fin on the leg upon inspection. Shoulders were fine, no stressmarks, nor after transformation.

This thread has lost all relevance, given that a growing number of members who initially posted all manner of praises for the perfect condition of their newly purchased valkyries and voted accordingly in the poll, are now coming back reporting breakages, but the belated breakages aren't reflected in the poll.

I hope Yamato isn't using the numbers on this poll to show someone that "Look! Even the gaijin say our toys are, for the most part, flawless!"

• 2 weeks later...

My vf-1s hikaru has stress marks. I knew one side had them but I just noticed it on the other side as well. It's my second time transforming it since I got it 8 months ago. Will the stress marks get worse over time and break? Sigh hopefully the yf-21 I'm thinking of ordering is not of high maintenance. :(

Always remember to lift the shoulder when you swing it in or swing it out to go over that notch on the body.

Anywa, I wish this shoulder piece is in metal like the inner chest plate that hold the chest plate and thighs.