Poll: Is your v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?

miriya

Yamato v.2 1/60 VF-1S broken or perfect?  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Broken or Perfect? Lets see the numbers.

• Mine is Perfect! Thank you Yamato!
    • Mine is Broken! Thanks for nothing!
    • Mine is not broken or perfect but I have complaints.

This reeks of BP8, some problems only afflicting a few valks, couple of people moaning about it for years.
BP8 is much easier to avoid breaking. My Hikaru 1S is still in good shape. It won't break so long as you do not push it past the stopper and are careful attaching and removing FAST packs.

The v2 1/60 shoulder hinge is far different. Broke is broke, and this hasn't been even a year yet.

Reading all these is what keeps me from buying a Yamato, well also the price and the plastic they use, although I always wanted the VF-1D and might buy it since it's not that expensive.

It's their decision to overlook potential breakages and rush these out into the market that gets me. The shoulder hinge is the only blemish on an otherwise very sturdy design, sturdier than even the 1/48. Once it is, well if it is ever fixed, it will be a sturdier toy overall than the 1/48.

My point of view on this matter...

It's a crack. It's not good. It should be fixed, if only so that later models/ variants won't have this problem.

Am I ok with it? Sort of. The problem's so far minor on mine: a hairline crack. Balance that against the great aesthetic of the VF-1 v2, the general solidness of construction, and general ease of use. It's like the difference between scoring 99% and 100% for a test; it might/ will make a difference to somebody, but most would just call both scores damn good and leave it at that.

Coming back, so someone did try to route down the metal pin? Got to give it a go then.

i think the poll should be re open because a lot of people change the opinion included me

i am paying a lot of money and i dont have the obligation to fix a defect of production until now i have 2 vf 1s and both are broken and one of them with only one transformation (no broken or stress mark after that) without even touching it

Am I ok with it? Sort of. The problem's so far minor on mine: a hairline crack. Balance that against the great aesthetic of the VF-1 v2, the general solidness of construction, and general ease of use. It's like the difference between scoring 99% and 100% for a test; it might/ will make a difference to somebody, but most would just call both scores damn good and leave it at that.

Mine started as a hairline, and grew. I brace the shoulders when I move them, lift the hinge over the stopper when going from gerwalk to battroid and back, and loosened the shoulders months ago. It may start small, but the crack will grow, it's inevitable. It will grow to the point of splitting apart, which mine is starting to do.

on a lighter note...

...and here i thought i was cheap, thinking that changing the pin would be the cheapest solution (no required re-tooling or re-design)... Yamato totally got me with their "we-will-tell-the-factory-workers-to-be-more-careful-inserting-the-pins" solution! :blink: :blink: :blink::wacko:

but it is the same old story. We all know the 1s strike roy is plagued. When we start seeing reports of later and recent releases having the same issues, then I'll care.

Didn't we have a few reports of 1As and 1Js broken as well earlier in this thread? Granted its only 1 or 2, but still..

but it is the same old story. We all know the 1s strike roy is plagued. When we start seeing reports of later and recent releases having the same issues, then I'll care.

Hello Eugi

The thing is that they are more carefull during assembly in the factory now

But the design and the movments allowed will make it weaker....

When you adjust the arm position it brings a lot of stress on the hinge location

I am sure some of us had no crack brand new and then cracks appeared... and don't tell me it was micro cracks

let's see how many survive with time....

the vf-1 is still pretty new

;)

Hello Eugi

The thing is that they are more carefull during assembly in the factory now

But the design and the movments allowed will make it weaker....

When you adjust the arm position it brings a lot of stress on the hinge location

I am sure some of us had no crack brand new and then cracks appeared... and don't tell me it was micro cracks

let's see how many survive with time....

the vf-1 is still pretty new

;)

oh, I agree with you that the design itself is fragile. It's like the neck joint on the 1/60 yf-19. It can be broken by poor assembly or poor handling but it's not the same as saying it will break.

Yoda told me: Broken the arm will be

this arm issue is more pervert than the neck of the 19, it can happen by adjusting pose... think about it ...

:p

Well, no problems on the other arm and no problems on the 1j. If we start seeing a flood of reports on the 1a, the 1j, 1s hikaru, etc, then I'll agree with you that the design is flawed. ^_^

All of mine are still in perfect working order except the one Roy who's minor hairline fracture was epoxied.

Have I mentioned that I never move the arms on any of them unless I'm also holding the "box" shoulder hing firmly?

This might help for those of you who are moving the arm on the joint without securing the box hinge - thereby taking that pressure off of it.

In general, this is the best transforming jet fighter figure made in a decade IMO :)

Really really really great stuff.

Pete

how do i raise the cockpit hatch to see the pilot seat? it feels like it is going to break. Also when I try to fold the tail of the plane over and then as I try to fold it back, it seems like it is stuck and I have to lift it a certain way to fold it back down. How come everything feels like it is going to break! lol is this normal? btw this is my first valkyrie toy and i am being very careful because i'm thinking it can break any moment. haha i really want to check the hinges but i'm waiting to go home to watch the video on how to transform it (at work).

Got the replacement "hinges" from Overdrive today. Have to say I am happy as a Pig in Sh**! :)

FYI replacement hinges included arms (minus hands) as well which I find a little bit troubling (Yamato could have just sent the hinges and I would have been happy) but I am not complaining! Oh and I see I will have to take these arms apart as well and adjust the screws a bit on that ball joint (as others have mention on this forum) for the arms is still a bit to tight. I think it could be a factor in the cracking on my existing arms.

Edited by logos

now that i finally got the nose to wrap around the swingbar i can't take it out. i popped the swingbar out but the plastic piece on the nose is making it impossible to get it out. basically it's like stuck. any help?

after opening the cover under the nosecone... just lift both sides of the cover with your index fingers and slide out the swing bar from the semi-circular catch... legs should be perpendicular to the nose/fuselage.

Edited for clarity...

Edited by m0n5t3r

i mean i am able to open to cover and pop the swingbar out but there's no room at all to slide the bar out because the plastic cover is blocking it. maybe i did something wrong with the transformation. im scared. i just got it and i have been trying for an hour. sighh

pls. see edited reply...

you are the best man. :) im so happy now.. lol let me tell you i could break this toy if i wanted to. it's a beast. the hinge is the only thing sucking..

no prob. glad you're enjoying it. i'm antsy for the 1D :wacko: ... BTW, there's a preventive DIY fix for the hinges if you're brave enough to try it and if you notice stress marks like i saw on my hikky and roy 1S's. :)

no prob. glad you're enjoying it. i'm antsy for the 1D :wacko: ... BTW, there's a preventive DIY fix for the hinges if you're brave enough to try it and if you notice stress marks like i saw on my hikky and roy 1S's. :)

i think i'm going to get replacement parts from overdrive and try the preventative on those. for now i'll see how long these hinges last.. haha my fingers are still hurting from working on it for so long. thanks again for saving my valk! btw can you explain to me what the method is to prevent cracked hinges? thanks

Fob, did your shoulder joints crack? Regardless, when I handle my 1A, to prevent the inevitable, I usually hold the entire shoulder joint so the plastic doesn't bend around too much, reducing the stress on the plastic. You can also try loosening the shoulders, but you'll have to take off the shoulder pads first.

now that i finally got the nose to wrap around the swingbar i can't take it out. i popped the swingbar out but the plastic piece on the nose is making it impossible to get it out. basically it's like stuck. any help?

Make sure to angle the swing bar. Pull back on the backplate, which dislodges the swing bar. Then simultaneously swing both hip parts forward/downward, this will pop the nose hatch open, then just push up/forward on the hip bar or legs and this will pop the bar out.

Fob, did your shoulder joints crack? Regardless, when I handle my 1A, to prevent the inevitable, I usually hold the entire shoulder joint so the plastic doesn't bend around too much, reducing the stress on the plastic. You can also try loosening the shoulders, but you'll have to take off the shoulder pads first.

no the sholder joints are fine so far. i'm just really paranoid. when going from fighter to gerwalk mode i have to swing the arms around to the outside of the legs. it took some force and i didn't know if it was suppose to be like this. then i had to get the arm over the stub which required bending. this can be good for the hinges. is there an easier way and is this bad for the toy itself? lol

hopefully yamato upgrades the hinges and so we can just swap them out. these seem so fragile imo; does anyone know the part number for the hinges?

BTW I just wanted to say this toy is amazing. Everything is sturdy and there are no loose parts. The joints are nice and tight and it doesn't flop over. I am impressed with my first valk purchase. It's definitely a high quality toy. I'm use to collecting bandai MG kits and so this is a nice change. Transformation seemed difficult at first but I think it's getting more fun. Looks perfect in all modes. I am really impressed. The incident I had with the swingbar being stuck resulted in me trying to pry it apart until (for like an hour) someone gave me the proper advice on how to slide it out.. lol It's a very durable toy because I used a lot of my strength to pry it apart and it just would not budge and I consider myself to possess decent strength. The cover for the nose is hence very strong and the nose itself is strong. No bends no breaks. After struggling with the toy and having my sweaty fingers all over it, the tampo stayed never faded so that's a relief. Good job Yamato :)

Edited by Foblander