LA MW People

Ginrai

I don't mind commuting to work, but I don't want to commute for play. I want to be living in a cool place and drive a not cool place for work, like I already do living in SF and driving to SJ.

call me crazy but a nice loft in downtown long beach might be perfect for you. lots of nightlife and art nearby. just make sure you're in the right neighborhood cuz there are parts of long beach that are ghetto. westwood, silver lake, santa monica, pasadena, hollywood would all be good. i heard that recently a lot of artsy types are moving into chinatown as well.

Edited by cyde01

Related question for those from LA & greater California, who have moved away.

Have you ever encounter California hate from people?

lol when i lived out of state i actually encountered more socal hate from norcal people. peeps from other states were cool for the most part, until i started making fun of their accents.

Related question for those from LA & greater California, who have moved away.

Have you ever encounter California hate from people?

In 1993, when I left California [santa Barbara County] for Seattle, Washington, I was told to never tell anyone in Seattle that I was from California because the potential for nefarious acts against Californians was a rumor.

When I got to Seattle, I found that people in Seattle thought California was odd but I didn't encounter any hatred. Perhaps because I never felt like I belonged in California [even though I grew up in SB County] and feel in love with the Pacific Northwest; maybe they were being generous to me.

In 2001, I [sadly] found myself in a position where I had to start my life over and move back home to Santa Barbara County, California. Upon moving back, I discovered all this animosity between Southern and Northern California. I think it had always been there but it never seemed as pronounced as it does now.

Where I live, the central coast, always considered itself isolated from the North/South California wars but since living back here the last seven years, the central coast is pretty much considered southern California as the influence from L.A. is very big.

On the whole, I dislike California. There are certain places that I can tolerate, the bay area being my preferred spot, but I also dig West Hollywood and the Silver Lake district. I find California to be too crowded and expensive to live. I do love the non-homogeneity of places like S.F. and L.A. because quite frankly, everyone in Santa Barbara looks about the same, however, there are great opportunities to find in other states.

The "California life style" works for some and it doesn't work for others. If you are considering moving to California, that is one of the questions you should ask yourself.