History of MacrossWorld...

Today, when I'm surfing MW site, I 'suddenly' paying attention to the banner of the main page. Or to be precise, the phrase "Unofficially serving the Macross Fan since December 1st, 1999". I'm wondering, can someone brief me of the great history that is MW, and anything interest that happens for this 9 long years? :)

PS: Wow, MW is indeed a very old website...

Once upon a time, there was a place on the internet called a Usenet newsgroup, where Macross fans converged to talk about the series. Then, one day, a couple of pen pals named Shawn (from the San Diego, CA, area) and Graham (from Hong Kong) decided to take their love of Macross and put it on the World Wide Web.

[Cue music: "The Wings" by Gustavo Santaolalla]

Once Macross World went online, more fans showed up, sharing pictures of their collections. And then, on July 2001, the very first Macross World Convention was hosted in Downtown Los Angeles, CA. Since then, Macross fans have traveled great distances to show off their collections, buy & sell rare merchandise, watch Mari Iijima perform live, and play some poker.

And they all lived happily ever after. :lol:

Edited by areaseven

• 3 weeks later...
Once upon a time, there was a place on the internet called a Usenet newsgroup, where Macross fans converged to talk about the series. Then, one day, a couple of pen pals named Shawn (from the San Diego, CA, area) and Graham (from Hong Kong) decided to take their love of Macross and put it on the World Wide Web.

Once Macross World went online, more fans showed up, sharing pictures of their collections. And then, on July 2001, the very first Macross World Convention was hosted in Downtown Los Angeles, CA. Since then, Macross fans have traveled great distances to show off their collections, buy & sell rare merchandise, watch Mari Iijima perform live, and play some poker.

Any history of Macrossworld that doesn't reference doorknobs, isn't really a history of Macrossworld at all.

• 2 weeks later...

hmm I remeber 1998/1999.. I discovered this site while surfing on a computer during my boring internship.. i was 19 years old.

Then I saw all the art, toy pictures and scans of everything about Macross on this site and I felt like a kid in a candy store.

The forum was pretty active those days. It ran on a different forum engine.

Many peeps who havent got alot of money bought a joon or jetfire(in my case) because the only full transformable valkyrie was the old banday/takatoku that went $500,- + over the counter on ebay. Joons were like $60,-.

But all in all Macrossworld was my first introduction to forum discussion boards and it was/is fun to share thoughts with other macross fans in the world!

I once recall a dude here on the forum that owns a toystore in Hong Kong and many members here order the latest stuff from him.. like the yf-21, vf-11 etc.. toyline.

Btw the homepage of Macross world is practicaly unchanged which is nice.

Edited by Kin

A little bit of Macrossworld.com history for ya:

On February 13th 2004 fifbeat becomes a member.

I love that guy.

WOW! Someone that's more vane than I?!? :blink:

:ph34r:

...."Unofficially serving the Macross Fan since December 1st, 1999"....

Hmmm, so the real server is onboard the real ASS-1 which crash to Earth around that time. <_<

o! please tell me more about yoshinol. i entirely missed learning about it when i was but a wee one here.

that and doorknobs.

I must have missed the beginning of the Yoshinol thing...so I don't know how it got started, but there was a pic of some drink (?) called Yoshinol that had the Macross kite on it. I have no idea if it was real or not, but it became a drink that was offered to anyone who renounced Robotech in favor of Macross.

The doorknobs are easier...it's an Agent ONE thing. IIRC, someone was talking about how some guy had stolen his girlfriend, and Agent ONE suggested that a good solution would be to go to the girlfriend-stealer's house (when he wasn't home, of course) and masturbate all over guy's doorknob.

Interesting advice, but I sincerely hope it was not heeded...

Edited by Gubaba

I must have missed the beginning of the Yoshinol thing...so I don't know how it got started, but there was a pic of some drink (?) called Yoshinol that had the Macross kite on it. I have no idea if it was real or not, but it became a drink that was offered to anyone who renounced Robotech in favor of Macross.

Been digging the old forum, and finally found one :lol:

This is MW treasure.

edit: removed the second pic of Millia and Yoshinol since kinda NSFW

post-653-1219182534_thumb.jpg

Edited by Morpheus

Been digging the old forum, and finally found one :lol:

This is MW treasure.

edit: removed the second pic of Millia and Yoshinol since kinda NSFW

Ahhh, Yoshi and Beware of Blast. I wonder where they are now.

Vostok 7, the Lil' Valk comics, AgentOne's doorknobs and "bang anus please" (good thing he's back, dammit).

The Nanashi debacle. Edo Andromedo C. WM Cheng's LEGENDARY threads back then when the Hasegawas just came out (some things never change, thanksfully).

All those little things that are part of the History of Macross World

... dammit kids, you just gave this long time mostly-lurker member a bout of nostalgia.

Wait...what was the Nanashi debacle? Was that when someone wanted to use his scans, and he didn't want them to...? I remember a lot of people getting mixed up in that one.

As far as I remember (I was out during most of it, so I pretty much only caught the aftershocks), it was something like if Mr March had gone fulltime batshite loco overzealous of his work at the M3 cleaning up and restoring the scans for his site. Nanashi's idea was that since he had spent so much time and money hunting down those scans and their sources and photoshopping them so they will look good, he owned the images and no one else could use them (or even have them in their hard drives - his site was programmed so people couldn't right click anything in there) and he kind of tried to enforce a copyright on them. The only problem was that those images were already Big West's properties and, therefore, he could make no claim about the use and abuse of them (because, hell, this is the internet, and what one dude can encrypt another can crack, so people were posting his images here and there) and a lot of people in the forum reminded him of that. He didn't like that concept and hilarity ensued (not really).

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by Lindem Herz

That's how I remember it going down as well. There were threats of site closures and then he left in a big huff... I think he burned up whatever goodwill he did have around here as well as quite a few people were happy to try and meet him halfway.

Great idea for a thread, even if it is a little narcissitic, (forgive my shabby spelling).

I think that most of us could put down the date that they became a member as a day in history. I started lurking here in the Macross Zero days and I have been looking at the Macross Compendium since Macross Plus. (What happened to that live action macross series that was mentioned there).

Its also thanks to this site that I first discovered the true joys of bittorrent and turned my back on Kazaa, yay......

Overall, this website and forum is a great experience. Nice people to talk to, interesting topics to cover, the occasional scandal and bitchiness that most net people thrive on, very nice mods who like a bit of brownnosing, :lol::lol: etc......

The only aspect that bugs me at times and this is more of a general gripe about Macross fandom in general rather than this site in particular, is the snobby attitude that some people have towards those of us who originally discovered Macross through Robotech. Some people can't understand that, especially in some areas, Robotech was the only way for teens to get access to Macross.

Anyway, lets continue to celebrate the history of the site and have fun.

Taksraven

you missed out some bits...

Everyone had Bandai 1/55's because they were the best and many threads were written about them. Then came Yamato and everyone rejoyced and wrote some more about them. Then they wrote some more about how they broke easily and everyone was unhappy.

Then Yamato made some more and everyone was happy again.....

And then the site got hacked (cue dark demonic music) and the members all rejoyced when the site went back up again.

Then ......

you missed out some bits...

Everyone had Bandai 1/55's because they were the best and many threads were written about them. Then came Yamato and everyone rejoyced and wrote some more about them. Then they wrote some more about how they broke easily and everyone was unhappy.

Then Yamato made some more and everyone was happy again.....

And then the site got hacked (cue dark demonic music) and the members all rejoyced when the site went back up again.

Then ......

don't forget the great yamato versus toynami debates! Many Shuvs and Zuuls knew what it was to be roasted in the depths of the Slor that day, I can tell you!

WHAT? you discovered Macross thru Robotech??? Sucks to be you!

haha, j/k.

The boards aren't as bad againts the techies now... remember SkullOne??? :o

Which one? The "skullone" I remember the most was from Greece. That guy was insane....he'd go on and on about the crimes of HG and the injustices done to SDF Macross..but had never seen it lol.

and when he finally did see it.. he didn't like it lol

and Edo..what a nut job... :blink::lol:

Edited by dejr8bud

RIP

ALT.FAN.MACROSS - one of the first there and one of the last holdouts

btw, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rosario Love and the stolen money/no goods shipped custom 1/55 debacle.

Edited by ComicKaze

We should have a timeline...

BMW - EXO born

1999 - MacrossWorld created by Shawn and Graham...

2000 - EXO blamed for creating MacrossWorld

I just realized MW was created the year the ASS-1 crash landed. And Before Macrossworld has the initials BMW... another cease and desist letter waiting to happen.

We should have a timeline...

BMW - EXO born

1999 - MacrossWorld created by Shawn and Graham...

2000 - EXO blamed for creating MacrossWorld

I just realized MW was created the year the ASS-1 crash landed. And Before Macrossworld has the initials BMW... another cease and desist letter waiting to happen.

BLAME >EXO<!!! :lol::lol::lol:

ASS-1 = >EXO< :lol::lol::lol::p

:ph34r:

btw, I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Rosario Love and the stolen money/no goods shipped custom 1/55 debacle.

Now THAT's one I didn't remember at all. And, I mostly don't, now that I think about it. Care to elaborate?

And while we're at it, I do remember having emailed Edo a couple of times. He was kind of cool when talking about stuff that had nothing to do with Macross (he was a fellow Final Fantasy VII and Digimon fan - don't ask, I was still back in school then). I don't remember what caused his ultimate demise from the forums, though.

Anyone remember the attention whore? Quadrono or something like that, who insisted that Yamato make a special version of a figure in her honor because she thought she was the best at some game or another?

Quadrono 639 and Macross VO? A special figure by Yamato for her? Jeezus, I knew that she was a showoff, but that's Kakizaki level, dammit!