Graham reviews the new Yamato 1/60 VF-1

Shawn

Im thinking of getting the 1J with FP's, getting a Roy without FP's, transfering them across and then getting the eventual GBP armour for the 1J. Then i can have a TV Skull Squad with FP's, and a movie squad with FP's, and then some just standalones.

Wow, it's just wrong that some people are still waiting for their preorder to arrive when I just placed my order on Sunday and already have it. I haven't had any problems with HLJ yet (well, one problem which was entirely my fault) but I know lots of people do. I need to find some wood to knock on.

STILL waiting. Yep.

LOL...no, not yet. I had originally ordered the FP version, but with their delays getting them and me figuring I wouldn't be using the FP's much as I'm not a big fan, I decided to go with HLJ for the stand alone version.

*EDIT*

Whoo-hoo, according to the EMS tracking, it arrived here in the U.S. @ JFK airport in under 24 hours from the time it was shipped from Japan. :D

-Kyp

Edited by Kyp Durron

Is this a good company to buy from? Has anyone here had experience with them? I am tempted to put up my preorder now but I have never heard of this company before or seen the site.

He's been around for a very long time, and very well respected in the Transformers communities. I've been ordering exclusives from him for many years and have never had a problem.

Ordering is through email and rathr informal. Shipping can be really expensive tho, so make sure you get a shipping quote before placing an order. Expect a response withn a few days tho - F2F is something he does on the side as he has a full-time job as well.

Otherwise I would recommend over-drive-inc.com. Similar services and prices but more formal and faster response times. F2F require a deposit, OD require full payment w/ shipping up front.

Or just wait for HLJ.com to list it :p

HIKARU's 1J came with grey FP's? The 1/60 V.2 FP's looks to have the same color as on the 1/48 version.

Nah, it's just MARKETING at work. Yamato pulled the same stunt back with the old 1/60s.

You WANT TV-style fast packs for Hikaru's inherited VF-1S? Guess what? THAT Super Valk ain't coming out.

Buy THIS one + a Hikki 1S and there you go.

So, that means I can buy a separate GBP-1S armor set for the 1J?

Maybe. But the bundled 1J + GBP-1S set will probably have some exclusive option parts to tempt you into double-dipping.

Got it? :-)

My 1/60 Roy VF-1S stand alone came in from HLJ!!! I probably won't be on for a while, lol. But there will be pics of it with my YF-21 when I do get back on. :p

-Kyp

Great. Now I am the only one who is STILL waiting for this friggin plane. I'm never ordering from HLJ again after this.

Great. Now I am the only one who is STILL waiting for this friggin plane. I'm never ordering from HLJ again after this.

not true....I am waiting till this afternoon till mine comes. :D

:ph34r:

What shipping option did you pick?

Well, I must say, after owning a 1/48 Hikaru 1J, I can honestly say that this new 1/60 has everything about the 1/48's that I loved (And more!!) and nothing that I didn't like.

It's more solid that any valk I have ever owned and even more solid than my YF-21 which WAS the most solid valk I had. It's even more solid than the 1/48.

This valk for me is the new benchmark for everything else that Yamato puts out from now on. I usually don't mess with the stickers, and while I didn't go as all out as I could have, I did place all the other stickers I thought were major.

And has promised here's a quick pic with the YF-21 :

PICT2783.JPG

I owned the 1/60 Super Ostrich and this makes it look like something made for toddlers by Playskool. :mellow:

I'll take more here in a minute.

-Kyp

you're not alone bro...I'm still waiting for it too...HLJ reshipped mine on Friday and it's clearing customs according to tracking

WOOT WOOT!!! Got mine today! I must say...so far...even though I have only handled it in Fighter and Gerwalk modes...it is SUPERIOR to the 1/48. Whatever was loose now is tight. It has a good weight to it. And the missiles attaching better....OOOOO LA LA!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! ALOT of pics to come in one of the pose threads. Gotta cook dinner and hang with the wifey... :( ...I'm only saddened by this cause I can't play with my new toy.

WOOT WOOT!!! Got mine today! I must say...so far...even though I have only handled it in Fighter and Gerwalk modes...it is SUPERIOR to the 1/48. Whatever was loose now is tight. It has a good weight to it. And the missiles attaching better....OOOOO LA LA!!! WOOOOO HOOOOOO!!! ALOT of pics to come in one of the pose threads. Gotta cook dinner and hang with the wifey... :( ...I'm only saddened by this cause I can't play with my new toy.

Was I right, or was I right? Ain't it awesome? :D

All hail the new 1/60 VF-1 Overlords!!! B))

-Kyp

I fixed my VF-1S' loose shoulders with Mr Cement and now they stick together hard. ;)

Tried the missiles on for the 1st time and damn they are tight. Had abit of trouble getting them out but realised there was a slight groove on the hard points that lock them in place securely. You have to turn the missiles towards the fuselage all the way and voila...missiles pop-off easily.

Generally no complaints about the toy except:

1.) the shoulders which has limited poseability in gerwalk due to the new design and how it hits on the wings

2.) the gunpod is too small. A side by side comparison with the 1/48 confirms that it is too small for a 1/60 gunpod. This problem irks me most. There is also loss of panel line detail to the gunpod. 1/48's gunpod is superior to the 1/60's.

3.) the visible backpack locking hinge....and i worry about its durability. The hinge seems like its connected to the backpack via a small unseen bar. When you lock it in battroid mode, the lock is very very tight (remember to push in the middle fuselage flap pass the grooves) and I worry if the unseen bar can hold the stress especially with the strike packs on....unless its made of metal cause from the looks of it the bar is very very thin.

Edited by wolfx

What shipping option did you pick?

SAL. And It has never taken anything this long to get to my location. Lesson learned. I will never use SAL again. Personally, I think it was nicked. There is no reason for it to take this long to show up.

Edit:

Well. We're past two friggin weeks now. HLJ better be ready to replace this thing. I am f-ing pissed.

Edited by Impreszive

SAL. And It has never taken anything this long to get to my location. Lesson learned. I will never use SAL again. Personally, I think it was nicked. There is no reason for it to take this long to show up.

Edit:

Well. We're past two friggin weeks now. HLJ better be ready to replace this thing. I am f-ing pissed.

Have you tried emailing or calling them about this? I'm sure if you told them about this, they might be able to check on it.

-Kyp

I'm still waiting on a response. I e-mailed recently.

If you go for any more v.2 1/60s...I personally would suggest laftoys.com. I have had nothing but GREAT experiences with LOS!

If you go for any more v.2 1/60s...I personally would suggest laftoys.com. I have had nothing but GREAT experiences with LOS!

How is the pricing? Is it a bit more? Are their shipping options quicker? I have a sad feeling that I am going to have to save up and get a Fokker 1/60 again at this point. Nice having to pay almost $300 for one 1/60th scale valk.

I am incredibly disappointed with HLJ (and myself for picking SAL). I work in shipping and receiving, and I have never, ever seen a SAL package take this long to show up. The fact that I have to wait three friggin months to file a complaint is terrible terrible terrible!

I was really looking forward to this plane. This has just been the biggest let-down. I am getting jealous of everyone here who has one now, and that is just wrong.

I only pre-ordered my Roy from LAFtoys last week, and it shipped today. Cost me $151 including shipping. I expect to get it pretty quick, since it's only 3 states away. Would have been a bit cheaper if I went for parcel post instead of priority.

Personally, I've had good luck with SAL from HLJ, but I haven't ordered anything for a while. I do plan to get my 1/72 VF-25 kit from them that way though.

How is the pricing? Is it a bit more? Are their shipping options quicker? I have a sad feeling that I am going to have to save up and get a Fokker 1/60 again at this point. Nice having to pay almost $300 for one 1/60th scale valk.

Once LOS received his shipment it took only 3 days for me to get mine via USPS Priority mail. I also received a delcon# with it. I paid the preorder price and with shipping the total was $149.15 USD. Not too bad if you ask me...which you are... :lol::lol::lol:

EDIT-----> He also does one hell of a job with packing.....also I believe mine is quick cause I live in Colorado and I think LOS is in Texas.

Edited by misterryno

Once LOS received his shipment it took only 3 days for me to get mine via USPS Priority mail. I also received a delcon# with it. I paid the preorder price and with shipping the total was $149.15 USD. Not too bad if you ask me...which you are... :lol::lol::lol:

Damn that's it??? The sellers overseas are charging about the same if not a little more with shipping. Looks like I will be dealing with Los on these. Plus he's only 4 hours away and I can get pretty quick.