Graham reviews the new Yamato 1/60 VF-1

Shawn

@ lowviz:

hmm, redtube, I have to check that out :)

Question:

Someone's selling a 1/48 DYRL Roy with Super and Strike Parts for the same price as that of a brand new 1/60 V2. I was planning to get a second 1/60 roy for a diorama until I saw this. If you were me, would you buy this 1/48, or go with the 1/60 instead?

Edited by pochimus prime

youtube wouldn't allow that. Maybe redtube, but I don't see much gay pron on that one (nor would I be looking for it unless its the girl kind). :D

<_<

It would be nice if everyone would let it drop. And stop trying to make jokes that only serve to further derail the thread and subtley (or even unintentionally) serve to antagonize or encourage the participants. Please discuss the toy while we figure out if we need to scrub phrases such as that from the topic. Quoting it certainly doesn't help.

Depending on the price your talking about, I'd go for the 1/48. I would think that the 1/60 version will be more available later on if you decide to switch, though the 1/60 strike is sold out for now. Every time I see a 1/48 for sale I feel like buying it, even though I got doubles of everything. It's like my Catcher In the Rye from Conspiracy Theory.

Depending on the price your talking about, I'd go for the 1/48. I would think that the 1/60 version will be more available later on if you decide to switch, though the 1/60 strike is sold out for now. Every time I see a 1/48 for sale I feel like buying it, even though I got doubles of everything. It's like my Catcher In the Rye from Conspiracy Theory.

A new 1/60 sells for about $145 here, and the second-hand 1/48 with FP I saw was exactly the same price :)

Question:

Someone's selling a 1/48 DYRL Roy with Super and Strike Parts for the same price as that of a brand new 1/60 V2. I was planning to get a second 1/60 roy for a diorama until I saw this. If you were me, would you buy this 1/48, or go with the 1/60 instead?

Yamato will be coming out with more weathering 1/48 types.

See here:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26955

If I were you I would wait till a price is announced and get them. Buy the FP cheap when everyone offloads their old 1/48 on ebay.. Is that what everyone is going to do now that 1/60s version 2 has made it obsolete? I think the whole reason you;re seeing them go cheap is because yamato has finished with it and people are going to upgrade to version 2 1/60. So they are getting rid of old stock to bring in new stock. But after they become hard to find later, (discontinued) the 'collectors' may be willing to pay a higher price for them if they have way too much money and want to complete their 1/48 line. (these are the people who never open their boxes!)

But that's just me. If you've never had a FP roy, get the cheap 1/48. These may actually go up in price after the initial trend to sell them off quickly, due to yamato eventually phasing it out so that there is no more 1/48 releases.

...But if you want something new: maybe wait for more news of these 1/48 weathered specials or the TV series VF-1A max. (assuming yamato isn't going to make them super duper expensive for no other reason than "they are weathered". I mean low vis was normal-priced right?)

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

Yamato will be coming out with more weathering 1/48 types.

See here:

http://macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=26955

If I were you I would wait till a price is announced and get them. Buy the FP cheap when everyone offloads their old 1/48 on ebay.. Is that what everyone is going to do now that 1/60s version 2 has made it obsolete? I think the whole reason you;re seeing them go cheap is because it will be dicontinued in future. So they are getting rid of old stock to bring in new stock. But after they become hard to find later, the 'collectors' may be willing to pay a higher price for them if they have way too much money and want to complete their 1/48 line. (these are the people who never open their boxes!)

Is there a seperate thread for comparing the two? I feel like the 1/48s have a different type of customers base, unless it's someone that would buy both, like me. But I'm totally fond of the 1/48s due to the larger scale. I don't think that the 1/60s made it obsolete as much as I think that they've just exhausted it as much as they can. The only scheme that I feel they can do after the Max is the Kakizaki TV-1A, if they decide they can even sell it.

If I had to choose I'd always buy the 1/48s. But luckily I dn't have to choose and they added enough features on the 1/60s for me to want to buy them... mostly the tampo printing and the promise of having a complete line this time.

That is a good price for a 1/48 even by Philippine standards. I just bought a new 1/48 GBP from a guy here who got it from Singapore. Damage: $80 converted. Pretty happy with it considering my first one costs about double that price.

Although I am eagerly awaiting to get my 1/60, the new found prices of the 1/48 is too hard to resist.

Can somebody tell me where I can pick one up online? I put an order in with HLJ on Tuesday and have yet to receive the payment request. I was wondering if there's another etailer I can order this from? I've checked over-drive but they are OOS. Thanks, this will be my first Yamato.

But collectors won't be able to buy both if the 1/48 line starts getting harder to find (like how some people still like to buy vintage chunky munky of the rarer valk types?) in future.

That's all I'm saying. It could be yamato lied when they told graham that 1/48 wouldn't be getting any new releases or reissues, (since 1/60 is their focus now) but actually change their mind and intend to re-release and reissue new 1/48 but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assume that 1/48 DO one day get discontinued at all stores like the 1/72 or any older yamato toy. And if collectors (who like owning stuff for the sake of having all releases of something) come in at some later date, that is probably when the price goes back up in future. So what might happen is all those angel birds that are floating around out there might one day be the one thing the collector still needs to buy to feel complete. These people have too much money and just buy everything. :D

One of the reasons I don't collect is the doubling-up of releases. Toynami's 1/100 is an example. They are releasing fast packs for the non-fast pack 1/100 and then now they are going to release valks with fp boxed inside them. So it feels like they "double-dipped" and made you buy more than you wanted. Instead of just releasing 1/100 with FP in the beginning you were tempted to just get non-fp toys earlier. Urgh.

The only scheme that I feel they can do after the Max is the Kakizaki TV-1A, if they decide they can even sell it.

alaska base tv green valk! :p

Is there a seperate thread for comparing the two?

someone should make one imo. Would be good for noobs who still haven't bought any yamato before and want to take advantage of these new bargain priced 1/48s vs the new cheaper 1/60 vf-1 so they can make a choice. As I said the only reason they are cheap for now is because stores want to clear stock imo. Then over time, when the numbers of them out there dwindle, the collectors will start wanting to find and hunt the few they didn't or couldn't buy because they were too busy buying other stuff at the time. As an example: the CF SV-51 might be going cheap now, because "it's just an unpopular cannon fodder and doesn't look as good as the ace pilot valks" but ..... to a collector that might one day be the one valk they wish they bought when it was available. (assuming yamato will never ever reissue it - but there is no reason to think that, I'm just using that as an example of how prices might go high again after stores clear it, when something is vintage/rare/hard to get in future to all those people who are mad collectors)

The only reason I don't buy the CF SV-51 is "other stuff is out right now" not because I think it's not a bargain or anything. I like cannon fodder. Who cares about popularity? I think Shin's grey vf-0A looks cooler than the white roy vf-0s. (except for the head turret) Just because roy is popular, doesn't mean much to me personally.

Generally I see 1/60 vf-1 as an "upgrade from 1/48" to a lot of people. Maybe not lovers of larger sizes. Because it will

-be in scale to so many other toys out there,

-better posability,

-playability,

-two seaters

-may get better-proportioned gbp (just speculating here because the old 1/60 gbp looks better than the 1/48 one)

I see what you're saying. I was trying to answer Pochimus based on his private dilemma. but yeah... if you're jumping on the band wagon now, by all means start on the new 1/60s. But if there's anyway you have the cash to get all the 1/48s... good luck and get them. Unless there's a 1/48 v2.0 coming up! :D

Question:

BUY it! ist a good deal if you havent had a 1/48 yet.

i dunno about you guys, i will not sell and replace my 1/48's for the new 1/60 vf-1's (1/48 forever!)

ill have them all :)

Edited by Vegas Valkyrie

i dunno about you guys, i will not sell and replace my 1/48's for the new 1/60 vf-1's (1/48 forever!)

dang, did you get the credit card black valkyrie also? i'd like to complete my 1/48 collection too but these weathered versions are messing up my plan.

dang, did you get the credit card black valkyrie also? i'd like to complete my 1/48 collection too but these weathered versions are messing up my plan.

well except for that and that meteor buster?

Unless there's a 1/48 v2.0 coming up!

I actually want it to happen and would prefer it over the 1/60. I find that because the VF-1 is *popular + it's *"milkable" plus the fact that is IS smaller than the other newer valkyrie designs, it deserves a higher detailed release with improvements. If they can cram more detail into a smaller space for 1/60, imagine what they can do for 1/48? But...... I would want better joint system with clicks and stuff. Maybe leave out the diecast FP and make them plastic, but improve joints so they don't just rely on friction from the rubber inside the shoulder and hips. As you can see with the bigger mecha like the VB-6 monster and the 1/60 Qrau, you need those clicky joints for these bigger guys. Espceically if you like to display them in battroid mode flying or floating with limbs spread out to the sides or whatever. That should be the main selling point to upgrade from old 1/48 to new 1/48. Aside from better sculpt and improvements like the shoulders "hanging so low from the bottom of the fighter" problem.

Two seater pilots (minmay and hikaru in the vf-1d, or DYRL hikaru and Misa in the Super Ostrich) would have more detail so it would make it worth doing.

*as in it had a popular tv series based on it, plus is recognisable to many generations of macross fan due to exposure and also had so many paintscheme variations to justify many releases.

I wish I am like you bro hehehehehe, My 1/48s here are slowly disappearing to make way for the 1/60s, cant have it all:(

Got this email from over-drive.

Sir Thank you for your enqiury sir. The word is that the 1/60 StrikeValkyire set will not be re-released. You will probably have to get them separately as 1/60 VF-1S Valkyrie (Roy Focker Version) and Super/Strike parts for 1/60 VF-1S Valkyrie.

Links to the item will be provided below. They should be released shortly.

1/60 VF-1S Valkyrie (Roy Focker Version)

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/produc...products_id=457

Super/Strike parts for 1/60 VF-1S Valkyrie

http://www.over-drive-inc.com/store/produc...products_id=458

Sorry for the incovinience but the new 1/60 Strike Valkyire set isalmost totally sold out in Japan.

Best Regards-- -- OverDrive Info <info@over-drive-inc.com>

I'm a bit worried about the t-bar hatch transformation part. I wonder why they changed it. Other than the pegs, the 1/48 worked fine. And I really liked how the 1/60 VF-0 had removed the problem of fishing those pegs out.

Ohhhhhh Yeeaahhhh! Just got mine today from HLJ via SAL. They shipped on 7/21 and I received it today 7/31. Not too bad of a wait. A little bummed about their packaging. The outer box was banged up a bit and caused some stress marks on the toy box :angry:

The toy itself looks flawless!! I haven't transformed her yet though...

1/48 stealth in awe of V.2 1/60 goodness... :lol::lol::lol:

This photo made me laugh out loud! Fuking brilliant!!! This should go up in the hall of fame poses too. you brightened my oh so melancholy day. You and the vodka.

why's that?

I said i can imagine them not bringing it out again, just like the stealth combo pack, VF-1J Hikky TV Super pack 1/48... etc.

:edit: sorry i was busy doing something at the same time, yes anyways, i'll just... drink more rum..

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Doubt it's a revision, but would be nice to correct the ever so slightly crooked skull on the right tail fin. But meh.

As for the over tightness, do we want to trust them to do that? maybe they'll fudge it the other way and we'll screm we want it tighter! :lol:

Get the Strike version, you might not get the combo Roy pack again.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hey, so is it better to order the combo or separately? Do you guys think the standalone version is a newer revision?

That is a good question. I would be surprised if it was a newer version but I supppose it is possible. Maybe ask graham. Personally I like having the fast packs. But if you are not attached to the super and strike parts then it is less money for the stand alone version. For me it is a quesion of how long I can wait it out. If I was strong, which I am not, I would wait for the VF-1J and VF-1D which are the ones I really want but I will probably break down and either get the super VF-1A or the Strike VF-1S.