Why Alto must hook up with Sheryl *spoilers*

ssfsx17

Alto has issues with people telling him what he should be and how he should act. He takes great offense to people telling him that blood determines things. His response is to go flip the bird, then go fly like a bird.

Now there's Sheryl... her whole life was basically engineered, it would seem. Despite everything that's happened to her, she seems to understand Alto in a way that nobody else does. They have all the right things in common - they like to explore new frontiers, they love the sky, and they love flying. Alto can understand her better than anyone else ever could too - he understands all too well what it's like for outside forces to control your life and what not.

And Ranka? She's selfish, and only wants Alto all to herself because he's pretty, and because Sheryl used to get in the way of her singing. She doesn't understand his desire to fly, nor does she understand why her brother or anyone else flies. She likes the feeling of Alto grabbing her but she doesn't talk about much else besides her singing and the act of getting rescued.

And Ranka? She's selfish, and only wants Alto all to herself because he's pretty, and because Sheryl used to get in the way of her singing. She doesn't understand his desire to fly, nor does she understand why her brother or anyone else flies. She likes the feeling of Alto grabbing her but she doesn't talk about much else besides her singing and the act of getting rescued.

Ranka is Selfish?

Sure...that's why she risked her life to save Sheryl, Alto, and avert a Zentran civil war. That's also why she cares so much about Ozma, and of course it's why she sings - because she wants to promote herself and not because she believes "culture is love, song is culture, so song is love" - oh wait!...

Seriously - Ranka is, of course, selfish, insofar as she is a happiness-oriented person. She seeks out that which brings happiness and spreads it her self because spreading happiness is as rewarding as recieving it. But she is not "selfish" in the bad sense of being self-absorbed or shallow. She loves Alto because Alto INSPIRES her - not because he's "pretty."

As to understanding why people fly...Ranka has NO PROBLEM with people flying. She is, however, worried about people fighting in wars.

Big difference. To blame Ranka for worrying that her loved ones will die while also calling her "selfish" is totally contradictory.

And about Sheryl "getting in the way of her singing" ...umm...Ranka was herself a big Sheryl fan in the beginning - and in fact Sheryl is STILL an inspiration to her.

Heck - the biggest Sheryl fangirl in the show is Ranka!

Ranka demonstrates that she has compassion for Sheryl in episode 6, where during the concert Ranka supports Sheryl all the way.

I can't understand why anyone would have anything bad to say about Ranka.

Add to that the fact that she is way cuter than Sheryl and sings better.

VFTF1

Ranka's problem isn't that she's selfish per se. It's that she doesn't stop and think about what other people actually want.

As a result, you get her rather silly birthday gift of summoning Alto to her special place (i.e. Griffith Observatory) so that she can give him a bag of cookies that she baked. While she obviously couldn't offer Alto the same thing that Sheryl did, she could have come up with something more appropriate for who Alto is.

I also sometimes get the impression that she's convinced that she'll eventually end up with Alto simply because she's the one going through the Cinderella story.

As I said, she's not selfish per se and she's not unkind. She just doesn't stop to think about what makes the people around her different. She offered Alto what she would want as a birthday gift instead of thinking about what Alto would want.

Ranka's problem isn't that she's selfish per se. It's that she doesn't stop and think about what other people actually want.

As a result, you get her rather silly birthday gift of summoning Alto to her special place (i.e. Griffith Observatory) so that she can give him a bag of cookies that she baked. While she obviously couldn't offer Alto the same thing that Sheryl did, she could have come up with something more appropriate for who Alto is.

I also sometimes get the impression that she's convinced that she'll eventually end up with Alto simply because she's the one going through the Cinderella story.

As I said, she's not selfish per se and she's not unkind. She just doesn't stop to think about what makes the people around her different. She offered Alto what she would want as a birthday gift instead of thinking about what Alto would want.

That's a very good summary/explanation as to why some people feel that Ranka is selfish as in "self-centered".

I personally want Alto to end up with Ranka, but he'll probly end up with Sheryl, plus if he did end up with Ranka, wouldn't.....wait....whats Frontiers age of legal consent? Misaforever what was it again? :lol::p

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

I wouldn't blame her for this - after all, she was very caught up in her work; and I get the feeling that she hasn't quite learned how to balance out her personal life with her newly found profesional life at that early stage which was Alto's birthday.

Griffith Observatory is not Ranka's "special place" - it is Ranka AND Alto's special place: in Ranka's eyes, at least - this is where she fell in love with him; this is where Alto told her so many kind words and encouraged her and asked her to sing for him. Can you really blame her for thinking, for hoping, that Alto also has such fond memories of this place? It's like Star Hill in Macross Plus: it's a place full of fond memories of first love. Ranka is being ROMANTIC asking Alto there - not selfish...

As for Sheryl really giving Alto what he wished for - well - look how that turned out.

lesson: if you don't want to get caught in an internecine Zentran civil war, attacked by bugs and almost eater by a planet consumming dimmensional eater: pick cookies and Ranka!

VFTF1

I wouldn't blame her for this - after all, she was very caught up in her work; and I get the feeling that she hasn't quite learned how to balance out her personal life with her newly found profesional life at that early stage which was Alto's birthday.

I'm not blaming her. I'm just pointing out that she's got a very basic character flaw, and it's why at least some of us aren't all that fond of her (besides the fact that she looks and often acts like a 12 year old).

Griffith Observatory is not Ranka's "special place" - it is Ranka AND Alto's special place: in Ranka's eyes, at least - this is where she fell in love with him; this is where Alto told her so many kind words and encouraged her and asked her to sing for him. Can you really blame her for thinking, for hoping, that Alto also has such fond memories of this place? It's like Star Hill in Macross Plus: it's a place full of fond memories of first love. Ranka is being ROMANTIC asking Alto there - not selfish...

No, it's RANKA's special place. She's only seen him there once. We've seen her retreat there other times as well (such as in episode 8), indicating that it's a place that she likes to go to when she wants to be alone. And I've no doubt that Ranka's a romantic. That's why she's blinded by her Cinderella story. Alto, on the other hand, is quite clearly not that sort of romantic and anyone who pays attention to him (as Sheryl does) can quickly pick up on this. That gets back to the problem I mentioned - Ranka has trouble opening her eyes and seeing that everyone else doesn't necessarily like the things she does. And it's why Griffith Observatory was not a good place to invite Alto on HIS birthday (on Ranka's birthday, on the other hand...).

Or in other words, if Ranka lowered the blinkers from her eyes for a few minutes and actually thought about what kind of a person Alto is and the kind of things that he likes, she'd have realized that asking him to meet her at Griffith Observatory so that she could give him some cookies wasn't really going to be all that great of a gift for him.

As for Sheryl really giving Alto what he wished for - well - look how that turned out.

lesson: if you don't want to get caught in an internecine Zentran civil war, attacked by bugs and almost eater by a planet consumming dimmensional eater: pick cookies and Ranka!

But then one of his friends would be dead (Since Ranka wouldn't have pushed Michael to do something without the immediate threat to one of her friends, which means that Luca wouldn't have thought of the new fold booster, which means that Michael wouldn't have been on hand to fly Sheryl away from Gallia 4. Note that I am NOT saying that as something negative about Ranka. It's basic human nature.).

Or in other words, if Ranka lowered the blinkers from her eyes for a few minutes and actually thought about what kind of a person Alto is and the kind of things that he likes,

But it's those blinkers and her faith and romantic vision of life that make Ranka so lovable.

If anything, Alto needs to stop being such a stuck up prude who constantly views every situation in life as a battle between will and fate and just learn to accept love :)

Sometimes, I think Sheryl "wins" him over because she is argumentative and stubborn and Alto likes to quarrel with people. Look at his friendship with Mikhael or his relationship with Ozma (punch! "I'll kill you!" etc). Everyone that Alto has a connection to is always someone who mouthed off to him when ever he got uppity. Heck - even Canalia, who gave him a quiet albeit somber lecture on "reasons for joining SMS"...

Ranka is the only one who doesn't mouth off to him or argue with him - she's just normal and nice to him.

If anything - it's Alto who's acting like a 12 year old by seeking out confrontation in every situation.

In fact - since we're on the subject of his birthday - you know what I think Alto should have done?

Naturally I think he should have gone to his dad! He didn't necessarily have to quit being an SMS pilot - but he should have accepted the invitation and at least showed that he cared for his dad and tried to convince him that he was serving honorably as a pilot; and accepting the praise for being in Birdhuman.

Alto could have also brought Ranka with him - to meet his dad and to create a situation making it impossible for his dad to get angry and start yelling at him (for fear of making a bad impression in front of a stranger/woman).

But Alto acted like a 12 year old and ran off into a dangerous situation with a buxon blonde.

Thankfully, the mature sensible Ranka saved him :)

VFTF1

If anything, Alto needs to stop being such a stuck up prude who constantly views every situation in life as a battle between will and fate and just learn to accept love :)

He's fine with love. He just sees Ranka as a little sister - at least up until episode 12. And that's entirely appropriate for someone who's his age and has a weird girl (his words) hanging around him who looks roughly 12 years old.

Sometimes, I think Sheryl "wins" him over because she is argumentative and stubborn and Alto likes to quarrel with people. Look at his friendship with Mikhael or his relationship with Ozma (punch! "I'll kill you!" etc). Everyone that Alto has a connection to is always someone who mouthed off to him when ever he got uppity. Heck - even Canalia, who gave him a quiet albeit somber lecture on "reasons for joining SMS"...

Funny you should mention Sheryl...

In episode 5, Sheryl states why she's spending time with Alto. It's because Alto doesn't treat her like "Sheryl". Alto treats her like a normal person. He's the only person she knows that isn't blown over by her fame. Ranka's blinkers mean that she doesn't treat Alto like a normal person. Instead she sees him as the larger than life inspiration who is the love of her life and who will go and live with her in the castle at the "And they lived happily ever after" stage of her Cinderella story. Or in other words, Ranka treats Alto an awful lot like the way that regular people treat Sheryl.

Ranka is the only one who doesn't mouth off to him or argue with him - she's just normal and nice to him.

Actually, Luca doesn't mouth off to him either. Alto seems to get along quite well with Luca.

If anything - it's Alto who's acting like a 12 year old by seeking out confrontation in every situation.

As I noted above, Alto doesn't get into arguments with Luca. Coincidentally, Luca's the only person who doesn't seem to enjoy winding Alto up at every opportunity.

In fact - since we're on the subject of his birthday - you know what I think Alto should have done?

Naturally I think he should have gone to his dad! He didn't necessarily have to quit being an SMS pilot - but he should have accepted the invitation and at least showed that he cared for his dad and tried to convince him that he was serving honorably as a pilot; and accepting the praise for being in Birdhuman.

And that just shows that you don't understand what that was all about.

First, going back to his father wouldn't have allowed him to keep his SMS job. His successor stated repeatedly that Alto was still "acting", and that deep down inside he didn't really care about flying. That should have hammered home to you that no, there is no way that Alto could have returned home and kept flying. Returning home meant submitting to his father. And it meant turning his back on his dreams.

Second, given what his father does I suspect that he wouldn't have cared at all about Birdhuman. His father is a classical actor, and probably would give it about the same amount of consideration that Ozma did (i.e. it's "vulgar" entertainment). Additionally, Alto's "part" was basically a simple stunt job. It's not the sort of thing that you draw genuine praise for.

Third, episode 4 showed that it's his father who has turned his back on Alto and not the other way around. In episode 4, Alto was clearly ready to talk to his father. But instead his father denied knowing who Alto was. Alto turned his back on acting, but has shown that he's willing and able to talk to his father. But his father appears to have taken Alto's rejection of the family business quite personally. Given that and the conversation in episode 11, the offer to Alto was clearly an offer to "come home, all is forgiven provided you abandon this flight school foolishness and resume your role as a classical actor."

Alto could have also brought Ranka with him - to meet his dad and to create a situation making it impossible for his dad to get angry and start yelling at him (for fear of making a bad impression in front of a stranger/woman).

His father would have found a way to talk to Alto privately without Ranka present, and probably would have been annoyed at her presence (gauging it specifically to be an attempt at manipulation for the exact purpose that you described it to be for). If Dad says, "Son, I need to talk to you privately," then there's going to either be a private talk or a public argument.

But Alto acted like a 12 year old and ran off into a dangerous situation with a buxon blonde.

Yes, perish the thought that Alto should actually be allowed to chase his dreams!

Episode 11 gave Alto three options -

1 - Return home. This would have represented him turning his back on his dreams.

2 - Hang out with Ranka. This would have represented him subordinating his dreams to the image that Ranka has projected onto him.

3 - Go with Sheryl. This represented him chasing his dreams and pursuing what he really loves to do with an opportunity that he likely wouldn't see again for years.

It's as the dialogue between Alto, Clan Clan (another person that Alto hasn't argued with), and Sheryl goes in episode 5 - Some people are simply meant to do certain things. Alto is meant to fly.

He's fine with love. He just sees Ranka as a little sister

I would say he's not so much "fine with love" as he is oblivious to love. If he sees Ranka as a little sister, then he certainly sees Sheryl as a big sister if anything - he is certainly prudish, as Sheryl notes on numerous occasions, and even proves in episode 10 with the kisso.

In episode 5, Sheryl states why she's spending time with Alto. It's because Alto doesn't treat her like "Sheryl". Alto treats her like a normal person. He's the only person she knows that isn't blown over by her fame.

Yes, but this is testimony to how lonely and sad Sheryl is, not to how wonderful Alto is. Alto isn't blown over by Sheryl's fame because Alto doesn't think much of anybody. It's not some special emotional ability that Alto has worked hard on for Sheryl's benefit. His pesonality is just such that he isn't the type to be bowled over by other people's achievements. I mean, he requested that Ozma give him a Valkyrie just because he thinks he did a pretty good job flying one. He didn't care that Ozma was a Vet, had to go through training etc etc. Alto thinks himself to be the best there is - both in terms of his piloting skills, and in terms of his looks (mirror scene). Sheryl annoys him on a different level, but still annoys him - just like Ranka does. It's not like Alto ever DIDN'T act annoyed with Sheryl.

So the point here is that it's not that Alto is such a great guy, it's just that Sheryl has mental and emotional problems and needs someone like Alto; who doesn't care about her fame. How is this different from Ranka needing Alto as an inspiring figure in her life?

And that just shows that you don't understand what that was all about (the going back to Dad thing).

Maybe I just didn't make myself clear.

First, obviously just because someone plans on doing something in the hope of achieving a certain outcome, doesn't mean the real outcome will be anywhere close to the one hoped for...

But - so what if his Dad didn't want to talk to him in episode 4? Ozma punched him in Episode 2, but did that stop Alto from coming back? Mikhael told him he would jeapordize other people, but did that stop Alto from entering SMS? Alto is stubborn - if he really wants something he is capable of achieving it.

So...why can't he confront his Dad like a man and tell him that he loves flying and that will all due respect, he will continue to be a pilot and wants his Dad to be proud of him?

Reason: because Alto is scared. He "runs away" as Mikhael always puts it.

Alto is a natural pilot - so we shouldn't think him extremely brave for flying a Valkyrie, since that's what he's good at. It doesn't take much courage to do what you enjoy and what you're skilled in doing.

It WOULD take courage to try to reunite with his Dad. And the fact that his Dad is being stubborn and sill about it is no surprise - after all - Alto had to get his silly stubborness SOMEWHERE.

But taking Ranka along WOULD have worked because Ranka is a miracle worker. Remember how Alto and Sheryl started quarreling in the airlock, and then Ranka offered everyone Maguro Mans which looked like breasts?

Anger turned to laughter and smiles.

Alto's Dad was sick, he was afraid of maybe dying. He just wanted to see his son again - but being a stubborn SOB, he of course concocted the whole "tell him to come back and all will be forgiven" - and I'm sure the Successor also proded the old Man, out of fear that he might die without seeing his son (the "his life is not in danger" line should be taken with a grain of salt. Any time a fellow can't move out of his bed and people start saying "his life is not in danger"...then you know that old age or illness is starting to get the better of them!).

Alto should have brought Ranka. So what if Birdhuman was vulgar? Ranka is a wonderful girl and very persuasive.

I think ultimately part of the reason Alto has trouble with girls is because he, like his father, is too focused on his work and doesn't want to open up with his emotions.

If Alto really wants to be free of his past, it's not enough to pilot a valkyrie instead of being a classical actor. He is obviously behaving EXACTLY like his father and making all the same mistakes. Notice that we haven't seen Alto's Dad interact with ALto's mom AT ALL.

Maybe that's why both Alto Jr. and Senior are so gruff, stubborn and insensitive? Because they don't have the soothing love of a good woman.

Alto will make a big mistake not accepting Ranka's love.

So what if it's a Cinderralla story? If a cute girl like Ranka is in love with you and wants to give herself to you - you TAKE :)

VFTF1

Ranka is Selfish?

Self centered.. though episode 12 she took a step in the right direction though her treatment of Sheryl might as well count as a step back as well.

Sure...that's why she risked her life to save Sheryl, Alto, and avert a Zentran civil war. That's also why she cares so much about Ozma, and of course it's why she sings - because she wants to promote herself and not because she believes "culture is love, song is culture, so song is love" - oh wait!...

The only person that mattered than to her was Alto, they made that blatantly clear.

As to understanding why people fly...Ranka has NO PROBLEM with people flying. She is, however, worried about people fighting in wars.

That's going to be a problem for her...

Heck - the biggest Sheryl fangirl in the show is Ranka!

Ranka demonstrates that she has compassion for Sheryl in episode 6, where during the concert Ranka supports Sheryl all the way.

Which is why from episode 12-14 Sheryl might as well not have existed in her mind and she didn't care when Sheryl collapsed when she was looking at it on Luca's screen.

I can't understand why anyone would have anything bad to say about Ranka.

Add to that the fact that she is way cuter than Sheryl and sings better.

VFTF1

/facepalm

Edited by Westlo

Which is why from episode 12-14 Sheryl might as well not have existed in her mind and she didn't care when Sheryl collapsed when she was looking at it on Luca's screen.

I think that's due to the hostage situation. If Sheryl had just collapsed, it would just be "poor sick Sheryl, I wonder if she's ok?" - but since they were taken hostage then that shot to the forefront of Ranka's concerns.

Sure, her primary concern was Alto, who she is in love with - but you can't deduce from the fact that she loves Alto the presumption that she doesn't care about the fate of Sheryl or any of the others.

It would be impossible for Ranka to have sung her song and turned the Zentrans if she totally didn't care about the welfare of others.

Heck - it would be impossible for her to love Alto - I mean - love is not infatuation; and Ranka has demonstrated that she is not blindly infatuated; she is a caring person and she loves Alto.

So it's not right to say she doesn't care about Sheryl - although certainly as the episodes progress, she is becoming a bit wary of Sheryl... but Sheryl is also becoming wary of her: the girls ARE after all competing for the affections of the same guy.

But this doesn't mean that Ranka has to hate Sheryl or wish her dead.

Also; thus far, it is Ranka who has succeeded in a combat situation (episode 12) while Sheryl has failed miserably (episode 14) largely because Sheryl does not believe in her music, while Ranka does.

VFTF1

Also; thus far, it is Ranka who has succeeded in a combat situation (episode 12) while Sheryl has failed miserably (episode 14) largely because Sheryl does not believe in her music, while Ranka does.

VFTF1

Could follow your reasoing until here. Ranka wasn't flying the VF-25 in episode 12, Mikhail was. Said Mikhail was out of commission in episode 14 thus Sheryl had to rely on her own pilot abilties. Believing in your own music had nothing to do with it.

But you don't have to fly a Valkyrie to be in combat. Ranka was in combat the moment she flew in. Mikhael was piloting, she was singing - with the cockpit open, standing up and then out in the open where should could have gotten shot, and not wearing any protective armor...and she managed to win: because she believed in her music.

Sheryl had pilot training, protective armor, and a Valkyrie - but managed nothing except to put Mikhael's life at risk and get the Valkyrie destroyed...because she doesn't believe in her own music.

VFTF1

But you don't have to fly a Valkyrie to be in combat. Ranka was in combat the moment she flew in. Mikhael was piloting, she was singing - with the cockpit open, standing up and then out in the open where should could have gotten shot, and not wearing any protective armor...and she managed to win: because she believed in her music.

Sheryl had pilot training, protective armor, and a Valkyrie - but managed nothing except to put Mikhael's life at risk and get the Valkyrie destroyed...because she doesn't believe in her own music.

VFTF1

Well ok, I can see believing in your music part applying to Ranka in episode 12. You wouldn't even do something like that, if you didn't believe in it.

I still think its unfair comparison, given that it was a pure piloting scene in Sheryl's case. Sheryl didn't sing to the Vajra. That wouldn't even have been an option for her since the "soundboosters" weren't installed anymore. She was trying to get herself and the wounded Mikhail away from a rather dangerous situation having only her own limitied pilot training to rely on. Though I can see people arguing that attempting to fly away instead of staying put may be what ultimately attracted those Vajra that shot them down, that's still a different ballgame. Wether Sheryl believes in her music or not has nothing to do with her being shot down in episode 14.

Well, I won't press the point because my intention is not to bad mouth Sheryl, but rather to defend Ranka. Of course it's actually very hard to know "What to do" in emergency situations. To be fair to Sheryl, I remember getting stuck in an elevator once. I pressed the alarm button...didn't work. I tried calling out...didn't work...nobody responded...I waited patiently, since there was a small window in the elevator door and I was stuck between floors, so I could see if people were mulling about - and I saw them - and called out to them...they didn't hear me...or maybe they just ignored me...

In the end, I don't know whether it was claustrophobia or a vision of Bruce Willis in Die Hard walking on all that glass, but I leveled back and kicked through the window, shattering it.

That got everybody's attention :) People appeared ... sadly - contrary to my hopes - they started yelling at me for being a vandal :)

Finally, some kid helped me get out of the elevator... but most of the people kept yelling at me for breaking the glass :)

My point here is that one never knows what will happen and what will work and what won't... so - yeah - I'm not saying Sheryl sucks or anything... I'm just saying Ranka is a more preferable girlfriend :)

VFTF1

And I just thought the comparison was a little out there, a much more relevant one IMO, would be say Mylene trying to tame the Meltrandi in Fleet of strongest women in M7. Fits the reasoning perfectly ^_^

And funny story. Did anyone try and make you pay for the window? :p

Self centered.. though episode 12 she took a step in the right direction though her treatment of Sheryl might as well count as a step back as well.

This is something that always baffles me :blink: The person that has better manipulation skills is perceived as less self-centered. And I'm saying this liking both Sheryl and Ranka, it's not a critic to Macross Frontier. The episode that first showed Sheryl as someone likable has her forcing Alto to follow her by stealing his lucky charm, and even ignoring him for a while just because she had an inspiration. What is always pointed as the key deed that Sheryl thinks about other people (her birthday present) would casually have her stealing her love rival their common object of affection, in a totally premeditate way, just like Sheryl stole Alto's first kiss, and without any kind of remorse :ph34r: Yet, when the same is done to her, people cry foul.

To say that Ranka is self-centered is going out on a limb :ph34r:

FV

To say that Ranka is self-centered is going out on a limb :ph34r:

The point isn't that Sheryl isn't self-centered at times. The point is that Ranka is unable to figure out that people might like different things than she does or be uninterested in what she likes.

I like Sheryl, but I'll be the first to admit that she's not perfect.

This is something that always baffles me :blink: The person that has better manipulation skills is perceived as less self-centered. And I'm saying this liking both Sheryl and Ranka, it's not a critic to Macross Frontier. The episode that first showed Sheryl as someone likable has her forcing Alto to follow her by stealing his lucky charm, and even ignoring him for a while just because she had an inspiration. What is always pointed as the key deed that Sheryl thinks about other people (her birthday present) would casually have her stealing her love rival their common object of affection, in a totally premeditate way, just like Sheryl stole Alto's first kiss, and without any kind of remorse :ph34r: Yet, when the same is done to her, people cry foul.

Well, THAT's easy enough to explain...behavior that is "charming" in a romantic comedy would likely get one slapped with a restraining order in real life. It's the same principle.

My point here is that one never knows what will happen and what will work and what won't... so - yeah - I'm not saying Sheryl sucks or anything... I'm just saying Ranka is a more preferable girlfriend :)

VFTF1

For you maybe...perhaps not for Alto. :p

I think alto should stay single as he is quite the douche

Its his birthday and he blows off ranka to go flying in a atmosphere ok thats fine but tell the girl... then after the girl that took him there even though she was sick and he realized that collapsed was being shot at and poo he doesn't check up on her instead he takes ranka out flying... and ranka's too dumb to care that he blew her off to get with sheryl then blew sickly risked her life to make him happy sheryl to fly off with ranka... Not to smooth alto... not at all... if only anime women had a lick of intelligence.

Now if he HAS to end up with one or the other I hope its sheryl or theres a time jump cause I know japan's all into pedophilia and moe poo but ranka is just TO much to be cool with :S