Macross Frontier Episode 15 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 15 rating  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 15 poll

• Positive (After that last episode, I need a cigarette)
    • Neutral/No Opinion
    • Negative (ZZZZZZZ....Are we done?)

At least Cathy is an homage to Misa. Perhaps you consider yourself multi-generational in your Macross women. You have one for each series... but wait, Klan and Cathy are in the same series. Now I know you aren't planning on a threesome between you, Cathy, and macro Klan are you? :huh:

I think its like MisaForever x Cathy with chibi klan as their adopted daughter........ :huh:

As for Nanase, I think she was eaten by the baby Vajra, thats why she's absent in this episode. ^_^

I think its like MisaForever x Cathy with chibi klan as their adopted daughter........ :huh:

As for Nanase, I think she was eaten by the baby Vajra, thats why she's absent in this episode. ^_^

Poor Luca, he did not get to tell Nanase :) Now that all the players are in place, the episodes can only get better :)

You know, I was a bit mad at Nanase for how she treated Luca. :angry: I mean, she's a complete airhead!! She has absolutely NO idea that he's interested in her even though it's been obvious for some time. Yet she consistently seems to have no clue. <_<

Nah! I was mad at Luca because of how he treated himself! I mean he's rich, he's a genius, he's a pilot of the Skull squadron for macross sake! and more importantly he's a friend of a proven womanizer! but he can't deal with his feelings for Nanase?! I just don't get it.

I can't blame Nanase on not giving a sh!t about Luca, the dude looks like a girl, wears shorts to school to show off his milky white leggs, names his machines, can't pilot for sh!t, looks and acts like a girl, it's kind of a pervert, small, he's always ogling her and is surrounded by two dudes who are the top pilots of Frontier and can have any women they want... hahaha! I'd say if Nanase goes for him it's because too much blood is circulating on her boobies and she can't thing straight or just plain pity

Kawamori directed episode 15?? why would a clip episode need directing?? by the way, who directed episode 14 so I can send him angry e-mails!!! ;)

I can't blame Nanase on not giving a sh!t about Luca, the dude looks like a girl, wears shorts to school to show off his milky white leggs, names his machines, can't pilot for sh!t, looks and acts like a girl, it's kind of a pervert, small, he's always ogling her and is surrounded by two dudes who are the top pilots of Frontier and can have any women they want... hahaha! I'd say if Nanase goes for him it's because too much blood is circulating on her boobies and she can't thing straight or just plain pity

Kawamori directed episode 15?? why would a clip episode need directing?? by the way, who directed episode 14 so I can send him angry e-mails!!! ;)

Hey... there is nothing wrong with naming your machines.

However the rest of that is all of Luca's problems.

Re: The Megaroad/SDF/Macross: Global controversy

The more we look back at the brief colonization map sequence from the opening intro, the less sense it makes and more convoluted it becomes to explain. As much as I'd like to have a labeled diagram of all the fleets in the post SW1 era, I think it was just meant to be a couple seconds of eye-candy.

Yeah it's on screen and therefore "canon" but it just doesn't make any sense.

Re: The Megaroad/SDF/Macross: Global controversy

The more we look back at the brief colonization map sequence from the opening intro, the less sense it makes and more convoluted it becomes to explain. As much as I'd like to have a labeled diagram of all the fleets in the post SW1 era, I think it was just meant to be a couple seconds of eye-candy.

Yeah it's on screen and therefore "canon" but it just doesn't make any sense.

It could be related to the Vajra's diverse areas of influence, does anybody has a pic of the map shown during Episode 15...?

I think it was just meant to be a couple seconds of eye-candy.

To paraphrase Emperor Palpatine, "Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh."

Here is something that nobody seems to have noticed yet: in this episode Ozma mentions a "gun camera". This should be the reason why in episode 7 Brera destroyed Luca's gunpod. Casually, Kawamori was the director for both episode 7 and 15.

FV

Hmm, it's probably the small red protrusion near the tip of the gun, I recall in the same episode, it seems that Alto was using it to peek around corners.

Here is something that nobody seems to have noticed yet: in this episode Ozma mentions a "gun camera". This should be the reason why in episode 7 Brera destroyed Luca's gunpod. Casually, Kawamori was the director for both episode 7 and 15.

FV

Now it all makes more sense... :wacko:

I can see some problems with that idea.

First is that the data from the camera would be stored on the VF itself. So if the gun camera managed to get an image (say, when Brera stepped out to shoot the gun), then that would mean that shooting the gun to remove the camera would be meaningless.

Second is that the gun is attached to a perfectly fine Recon VF, meaning that the VF itself has much better equipment than the simple camera that's apparently attached to the gun.

Third is that shooting the gun doesn't seem to stop the recovery of some good quality images of the VF-27 after the gun is shot that Leon then confiscates from the SMS.

A little harsh, but so true. We can't help who we're attracted to, and Luca is in all likelihood overshadowed by his friends.

It reminds me of a very good friend of mine ... Now I'm not a bad looking guy at all, and have dated plenty of really attractive and intelligent women. My buddy Bryant, though, looks like he should have been a male model and has this natural charisma that makes it so you just can't help loving the guy to death. We used to go out to bars a LOT a few years ago, and it would just drive you completely up the wall to see every woman in the joint throwing themselves at him, despite his obvious interest in one thing and one thing only. In his defense, he'd just gotten out of a 5-year relationship, so I can't really blame him for playing the field. He never lied to them, or anything like that - He'd be the first to let them know he wasn't looking for anything serious.

So here I am, Mr Funny, sweet, intelligent, good looking guy, with every quality they'd say they were looking for in a guy, but I could hardly get a sideways glance whenever he was around. Inevitably, they'd always chase after the shiny pretty thing like a cat after a laser pointer. And then whine to me later on about how they never meet any nice guys. (sigh)

I feel for ya, Luca.

Edited by Batou

• 1 month later...

After a long break from Frontier; I have just finished watching episode 15. Here are my thoughts (please be mindful that I have yet to watch the remaining episodes 16-24) :) ....

"AAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo!!"

This was, I will admit, my first thought - as soon as the stock footage showed up and it dawned on me that this episode recaps the previous 14.

Imagine my bitter dissapointment at having not watching ANY Macross:Frontier in like...two months...and coming back in with THIS!! The Recap episode!! NOOOOO!!!

Here I was hoping to pick up with the story and instead I get a rehash...

But - in all fairness; it is a very very well done rehash, in contradistinction to the recap episode of the SDFM TV series, which I usually skip whenever I re-watch the series (which, I actually have been doing...again...)...

This is far better organized; or rather - as far as recaps go it's an utter mess. If you start watching Macross Frontier from this recap episode, you will have NO IDEA what the hell happened - even though they seem to tell you. But, since the chances of someone starting on episode 15 in this day and age are miniscule - that isn't a concern. In effect, you see that there is a gorgeous chick in BDSM get up singing and lots of robots blowing stuff up and transforming into super cool airplanes. I think that should be sufficient to get you interested :)

Mercifully, the recap action did not last and the Sheryl song they used to illustrate it wasn't all that bad (although she's still no Ranka)...

And then - we got back to the lovely, heart warming story - and ooooo what a WONDERFUL way to "end" this first "segment" of the story (aka the segment where the enemy was a total mystery and the characters were being fleshed out).

Even though the singing competition starts out of jealousy - I get the feeling that even Ranka and Sheryl warm to one another and real like one another and are happy to share a love for Alto. Alto's reaction is funny - the whole dialogue is funny - and yeah; I guess it also serves to recap - but it is a recap that at the same time manages to move the plot forward - because both girls openly profess their love to Alto in the best way they know how: through the power of song :)

AWWWWwwww shucks :)

I was also authentically scared for Ranka's future as soon as I noticed she'd been taken into the "care" of the Three Stooges (Leon, Brera and Grace). Of the three, the only one I "trust" is Brera - who seems to have a past life in which he was capable of moral reflection... Grace is pure evil... even if she is some wierdo "We" - and Leon...well...Leon is the classic REMF (Rear Echelon Mother Focker)... all of them, Stooge-like are of course playing with fire... and it would be almost absurd if not for the fact that it's actually quite typical for human beings to behave like them ...

Mr. Bilar and his fairy wonder land are nifty - a big Up to the Anime World - we'll all look like that one day (I hope) - wheelchair bound with a manshion that has internal dioramas of Atari Island and Iacon, served by good looking anime dressed girls :)

But in all honesty - it was the hospital song-duet that was the most lovely and moving.

But WHERE is Luca? Where is Nana? I get the feeling they were anywhere but in this episode?

Final comment: Luca might be all of those terrible things mentioned in previous posts - but here is something else Luca is:

1) Clearly very intelligent (not just because he can fly a Valk which seems to be no big achievement for a kid in the world of anime, but because he understands Space Fold theory and seems to have a good scientific mind)

2) Luca CARES for his friends very very much - he is loyal and authentically concerned for other people's well being.

3) The type of crush he has on Nana is of course "immature" - but if you think about it - any smart, self-respecting woman would want this kind of love; she would nourish it, help it grow and mature - but take advantage of its' purity, of the fact that Luca hasn't been hurt by a girl yet and this makes him all the more a potentially wonderful guy to be with...

So...if Nana is smart - she's stick with Luca - the Anti-Shinji :)

Sniff..but the duet :) sniff sniff :) Alto doesn't have a dilema anymore :)

Although...still...I think Misa and Minmey's more subtle "resolution" of this tension had its' beauty as well...

well...enough babbling. Best Anime Ever :)

Pete

I'm surprised you come back to the forums without having finished the current episodes. It's a walking deathtrap of spoiler mines. :) Especially with the final episode coming up...

Anyway, yeah, this was a pretty sweet recap episode. It's almost immediately followed by a lot of WTF moments, though.

Edited by DeeBot

I'm surprised you come back to the forums without having finished the current episodes. It's a walking deathtrap of spoiler mines. :) Especially with the final episode coming up...

Anyway, yeah, this was a pretty sweet recap episode. It's almost immediately followed by a lot of WTF moments, though.

It would be funny if a person who had only watched the first episode of this series came back now and looked at episode 24. Little Ranka now a giant image over the Vajra homeworld and Sheryl's little PA now being the main protagonist in the series. It would be a shock.

Taksraven

i think he might have already read the thread. otherwise, i have no idea how he would make a luca-shinji connection.

You're probably right. Pretty hard to make a luca-shinji connection without knowing the current turn of events. Entertaining thought though.

Well - you'd be surprised but - I have NOT read any of the threads or any spoilers about anything past episode 15 :)

I made the Luca-Shinji connection because I have recently watch the ENTIRE Neon Genesis Evangelion series; and when I saw people in this thread badmouthing Luca for being all goody-goody too-shoes, the first thing that came to my mind was "oh what? You think a girl would prefer a semi-suicidal masturbating loony toon like Shinji?"

Honest to gosh - it's just so logical if you think about Luca that he is - at least up until episode 15 - the anti-Shinji...

So...if Nana is smart - she's stick with Luca - the Anti-Shinji smile.gif

-Pete

This statement of yours will come back to bite you... once you watch ep24.

If Nanase was the one doing the biting - I would have nothing against it!

Pete

Well - you'd be surprised but - I have NOT read any of the threads or any spoilers about anything past episode 15 :)

I made the Luca-Shinji connection because I have recently watch the ENTIRE Neon Genesis Evangelion series; and when I saw people in this thread badmouthing Luca for being all goody-goody too-shoes, the first thing that came to my mind was "oh what? You think a girl would prefer a semi-suicidal masturbating loony toon like Shinji?"

Honest to gosh - it's just so logical if you think about Luca that he is - at least up until episode 15 - the anti-Shinji...

If Nanase was the one doing the biting - I would have nothing against it!

Pete

Crap...the fact that you're completely right about Luca vis à vis Shinji makes me think that perhaps you'll be right about the "Vajra Inner Beauty men," too...and I don't think I could handle that. :wacko:

I agree with you completely about the "sing-off," that Ranka and Sheryl seemed to be having some fun with it.

In fact, come to think of it...that's really the last time we saw either of them having a whole lot of fun, isn't it...? That makes me kind of sad.

Crap...the fact that you're completely right about Luca vis à vis Shinji makes me think that perhaps you'll be right about the "Vajra Inner Beauty men," too...and I don't think I could handle that. :wacko:

I agree with you completely about the "sing-off," that Ranka and Sheryl seemed to be having some fun with it.

In fact, come to think of it...that's really the last time we saw either of them having a whole lot of fun, isn't it...? That makes me kind of sad.

now you made me sad. :(

but i'm still holding out that everything will end relatively happy for everyone. except grace and leon. ;)

I believe you completely about your prophetic read on the luca-shinji analogy, but only until you make another "Misa Hayes" type of statement. :lol:;)

I believe you completely about your prophetic read on the luca-shinji analogy, but only until you make another "Misa Hayes" type of statement. laugh.gif wink.gif

I'm serious :) It just came to me with Luca and Shinji because someone listed all of his goody-too shoes traits which in my mind contrasted to sharply with Shinji (who was on my mind due to having watch him for weeks on end...just check the NGE thread in Other Anime and you will see the timing fits:) ) ...

Crap...the fact that you're completely right about Luca vis à vis Shinji makes me think that perhaps you'll be right about the "Vajra Inner Beauty men," too...and I don't think I could handle that. wacko.gif

The Vajra Inner Beauty men are deduced from Episode five where we actually SEE one of them...

Or was I the only one who noticed Leon's "pet" come alive in a most anthropomorphic fashion when Ranka started singing in the mall? :)

Well...judging by your Avatar Gubbaba... I shudder to think what awaits me in the following episodes...

Pete

Sheryl gets the meal in episode 23. And you get the impression that it's her version of Alto's wish to fly in a sky without a dome.

But WHERE is Luca? Where is Nana? I get the feeling they were anywhere but in this episode?

They're both supporting characters at best. And Nanase's probably the person who could be voted "most significant superfluous character".

And Nanase's probably the person who could be voted "most significant superfluous character"

This is one of those times I wish there was a way (is there a way?) to search out some of my old posts...

In short - I wrote a loooong post about why Nana was very important because unlike Minmey's "giggle girl friends" who basically show up in the episode where Roy tells Minmey that Hikaru is missing, Nana is an actual SUPPORTING character - without her Ranka would have never become brave enough to sieze her chance.

Pete

This is one of those times I wish there was a way (is there a way?) to search out some of my old posts...

In short - I wrote a loooong post about why Nana was very important because unlike Minmey's "giggle girl friends" who basically show up in the episode where Roy tells Minmey that Hikaru is missing, Nana is an actual SUPPORTING character - without her Ranka would have never become brave enough to sieze her chance.

Pete

Was it this post, perhaps...?

(And yes, there's a search button at the top of the screen. Conversely, you can search through all of your posts (or anyone's) by clicking on their name.)