Canon ship names for the VF-1?

David Hingtgen

Before I commit my irreplaceable Anazasi decals, I'd like to be sure of what ship names to use on the tailfins of my VF-1's. Now, on my first Roy VF-1S, I had stickered it with Prometheus, as that's a cool name and the only one that is a name and not a hull number. But I'm wondering if that's right? The instructions for the Hasegawa kits have Roy's VF-1S with SDF-1 on the tails, but Max and Milia and Hikaru's -1J's as being from the Prometheus.

I doubt it's ever seen on-screen but are there any canon refs for which ship each valk belongs too? Skull squadron on SDF-1, Vermillion on Prometheus?

PS---the Hase kit instructions for the STRIKE VF-1S for Roy has the boosters themselves marked for ARMD-1 (tailfins not visible). Is the difference TV vs DYRL? FAST packs vs the valk itself?

In the DYRL game the Skull Squad came from the Prometheus and they were carried into space when the Macross folded. So it would make sense that the ship name was The Prometheus... But the Fast Packs were built on the Macross I think. But it makes me wonder if there were Destroids already there since in the series, they stored the Destroids on the Deadalus.

that's what i figure too.

they were originally from Prometheus, it got confusing because of the FP's which were from SDF-1 or ARMD-1

and Hikaru & Max's 1s's were from SDF-1.

so Roy's VF-1 should still have Prometheus on the tailfins, but the FP's are marked with SDF-1, possibly ARMD-1

then again, we're not really sure where the FP's come from.

at least it's just either SDF-1 or ARMD-1, which could be correct either way.

Its depending on which version you plan to build. Movie or TV series VF-1S

TV Series VF-1S:

SDF-1 markings = First few episodes until the Prometheus docks with the SDF-1 after space fold

Prometheus markings = After movinging the flight deck from SDF-1 to Prometheus because of residential area

Edited by TSP

Difficult questions from the Master.

I normally default to Hasegawa but that seems to be the source of error.

TV Roy's VF-1S minus Fast Packs Prometheus. The SDF-1 was not in service prior to the attack in first episode. Roy's squadron would have been serving on Prometheus prior to the launch of the SDF-1. The SDF-1 had yet to be tested or flown. It really pokes holes in the storyline because the ship should not have had a full crew or complete stock of ordinance at the time of a test launch.

DYRL Movie Roy's VF-1S SDF-1 or ARMD. Misa and Hikaru find the remains of the Prometheus beached even though she was at sea when sunk at the beginning of the video game. So the game must have departed slightly from the movie story line. It is a question of command structure and the Table of Organization for equipment. You would have to see which ARMD was used during the movie opening for the launches. That is assuming that the command and complement of each ARMD remained independent when docked with the SDF-1.

DYRL Game Roy's VF-1S Prometheus. As EXO said and the video shows Skull Squadron launched from Prometheus.

Hikaru's VF-1J Prometheus. The Prometheus and Daedalus were docked with the SDF-1. The carriers seemed to have differing operations that were coordinated/directed... but were they commanded by the SDF-1? They were referred to by name. Yet unlike the ARMD, the carriers could not operate independent of the SDF-1 in space. If each command was killed during the fold, it might be unreasonable to have each respective command and complement remain separate of the SDF-1.

TV Max VF-1A/VF-1J Prometheus. All flight operations were from Prometheus when he comes along.

TV Miria VF-1J ?????. Didn't she get her own aircraft after the SDF-1 was in a pond. Prometheus wasn't being used for flight operations. What was the name of the airfield they were flying from? All maintenance and support was from the hard stand or in a hanger not ship based.

Canon source!!!??? Wish we had one. I'd like to know myself.

Misa and Hikaru find the remains of the Prometheus beached even though she was at sea when sunk at the beginning of the video game. So the game must have departed slightly from the movie story line.

I don't think she was beached, exactly. I think the ocean content in its area was actually evaporated by the Zentraedi attack, leaving Prometheus high & dry, and its crew cooked within its hull. :(

I thought about that and it raises the question at what depth did she sink in and how much of the evaporated oceans would have returned as rain during the time the SDF-1 was gone.

Yet, It does explain why part of that underwater city had become visible.

Oh well, it is anime and they had a storyline to advance.

Looking at the beginning of the DYRL game the support personnel are wearing naval uniforms.

In the TV show they look like air force.

So which do you use in a diorama Deck Crew or Ground Support?

I thought about that and it raises the question at what depth did she sink in and how much of the evaporated oceans would have returned as rain during the time the SDF-1 was gone.

Yet, It does explain why part of that underwater city had become visible.

Probably a great deal had evaporated. I'm assuming the City was pretty deep to have gone unnoticed until that point, and didn't raise itself. That level of evaporation probably isn't scientifically accurate, but more for dramatic effect - especially so, perhaps, for an audience in an 'island nation' like Japan. [Recall the film "Japan Sinks"]

Edited by AcroRay

OK, different question:

Are there any names that would probably be WRONG to put on Roy or Milia? If determining the right one is impossible, are there ones that they certainly couldn't be?

Checking my older valks, both valks themselves are labeled for Prometheus, but Roy's FAST packs are ARMD-1 and Milia's are SDF-1. (that's just my own choices back when) Would it be "probably wrong" to re-use those?

Roys Fast packs are ONLY if you going to make the DYRL. Roy was already dead when the Fast Packs were Ready in the TV show. 90% of all TV versions of the VF's you do will be Prometheus. As for the Airfield they took off out of it was New Macross City. I have and I think i have seen a Decal with NMC on the side. I will have to take a look and get back to you.

PS I am FREAKING Anal when it comes to accuracy of the TV show kits. My kits that I have done are to spec. Sad I take 2 or more weeks sometimes just to Make sure I have all the colors right.

Edited by Ranger565

Eh, I'm somewhat more loose with the labeling of kits. Kawamori isn't really sure about canon, so I wouldn't be a stickler on what was where. I believe he himself has stated that the reality sits between both. For example, I kinda think Fast-Packs on VF-1s probably existed during most of the TV-timeline. While that might conflict with the Boobyduck episode, its difficult to imagine how the Valkyries could effectively operate in space otherwise.

That doesn't mean I'm also not anal about realism at all, but I like making realistic what ifs. I've got a couple of VF-1s in alternate schemes, and I'm finishing a F/A-18E in UN Navy colors carrying a single RMS-1 a set of AMM-1s, and a few other missiles; something from the Anti-UN Uprising. I think its highly realistic, but its not exactly canon.

What i did is I labled my Hikaru VF-1J with the Prometheus sticker. Then I labeled ARMD-1 with my Roy and Hikaru VF-1A... I hope i'm correct... Hehehehe

P.S.

What sticker can I put on my Canon fodder VF-1A? ^_^