Mass Effect

Indeed, picking him up involves a simple conversation and that's all. Just because they recommend getting Mordin first doesn't mean you are obligated to. I've had friends go get Grunt as their first character. Mordin is just nice to have early since he allows access to the upgrades console.

I finished ME 1 again yesterday, to get a female Paragon save ready to import. And realized at the very end, that since that was actually started with a newgame+ character, I'm going to have a "ruthless" paragon. :p

Though, it seems your "reputation" matters very little in ME 2, and I doubt it'll have much effect in ME 3. Just a line or two of dialogue I bet. Actions/choices are far more important.

Which leads me to hopes for ME 3 overall---I wish (but don't except much) that ME 3 will play out VERY differently depending on ME 1 and 2 choices. Since it's "the end" and won't need to "match up" to an ME 4 etc, they could have extremely different paths. Entire planets that do or don't appear due to choices made. Characters that will only join if you're a paragon etc. Perma-deaths midway through the game of essential members.

Just imagine how awesome it could be if say the first half of ME 3 is pretty "standard" but then it starts splitting drastically between paragon/renegade, and what allies you have etc. One path could have the final assault be a lone team against a reaper flagship in dark space, while the other could be a space-borne battle against the reaper fleet near Earth. Etc. A truly DIFFERENT game depending on what you do. (Valkyrie Profile 1 is still the best example of this, though Phantasy Star III also attempted it)

Also, opposite of "surviving ME 2", I'd like it to actually take some effort to beat the reapers. You have to TRY to kill Shepard in ME 2. I don't mean difficult as in actual combat of the final boss, but as in "you have to do more than the minimum plot missions". For ME 3, I'd like it so you can finish the game quickly and see AN ending, but if you want to actually beat the reapers, you better have a decent number of upgrades/companions etc.

I wonder how big impact

saving or destroying the collector base have on ME3. Perhaps it changes the difficulty as i imaging keeping the base and all its secrets would greatly help in defending against the reapers.

Also i wonder how much time is passed between ME2 and ME3. Since now the reapers have no access to the citadel mass relay its gonna take them a long time to get there unless they got some other secrets.

I wonder if there is 3 endings to ME3. Paragon (You fight the reapers and win), Neutral (You fight the reapers but eventually lose) and Renegade (You join the reapers or fall under their control...kinda like Saren).

Edited by David Hingtgen
Could you not post the final scene/choice of the game?

I think ultimately there will be more than 3 endings. All the choices of 1 and 2 will culminate in 3, who is alive, who is dead, who your allies may or may not be, who lives and who dies, as well as if the Reapers are totally defeated and at what cost and whether or not the Galaxy is united and equal or you put humanity on top.

Since they have no ME4 to worry about tying things up in, the potential variations on outcomes are quite large, and Bioware has said that they really want to open all of these up for players.

Since they have no ME4 to worry about tying things up in, the potential variations on outcomes are quite large, and Bioware has said that they really want to open all of these up for players.

I wouldn't be so sure about no ME4. Ever since EA bought BioWare they've been talking about the Mass Effect franchise, not just the trilogy. The next games might not be centred around Commander Shepard, but... Personally, I'd love a game starring David Anderson. I've really loved his character since I saw him headbutt a turian in the forehead in ME1 ^_^

Me? I have another problem. I just started a newgame+ in ME2 and I'm liking the choices I've made so far in this one as much as I did the first time around. This leaves me with the ultimate dilemma: which savefile do I use to carry over into my first ME3 game? :)

I wouldn't be so sure about no ME4. Ever since EA bought BioWare they've been talking about the Mass Effect franchise, not just the trilogy. The next games might not be centred around Commander Shepard, but... Personally, I'd love a game starring David Anderson. I've really loved his character since I saw him headbutt a turian in the forehead in ME1 ^_^

Me? I have another problem. I just started a newgame+ in ME2 and I'm liking the choices I've made so far in this one as much as I did the first time around. This leaves me with the ultimate dilemma: which savefile do I use to carry over into my first ME3 game? :)

That's different, Bioware has already said you wont see the end the ME universe with ME3. The choices you make, and the way 3 ends could be only minimally referenced in future ME titles. Furthermore if it was about Anderson, it'd be in the past and covering the events of Ascension or prior, so what happens in Shepard's story would have no impact.

"Although no images or prototypes were shown, DC Unlimited announced that the second series of Mass Effect will be released in December and will include Miranda, Legion, Mordin and Garrus"

Darn it, I want Samara/Morinth! And c'mon---Mordin? As an action figure? Samara/Morinth would have sold way better IMHO. Wave 3 seems kinda unlikely to happen, just not enough characters to warrant it, unless they do Samara/Jack/Ashley/collector. (hey, we need someone for all the heroes to shoot, and I think Ashley would sell decently)

I didn't really care for the first wave, especially since I don't like default Shepard, but Garrus and Legion are must buys. Though I guess there is a Grunt one too, so I'd get him as well.

Hopefully they do them all, I liked Samara a lot and would definitely pick up a decent figure of her.

Easy, obvious thing there's no way they'll do for the action figures:

Make a "female medium onyx armor" mold. Then use various repaints of that body for ME 1 FemShep, Liara, and Ashley. Onyx and Phoenix are the same design, just different colors, so it'd be perfect for Shep and Ashley. And maybe put Liara in colossus colors or non-N7 onyx.

I think ultimately there will be more than 3 endings. All the choices of 1 and 2 will culminate in 3, who is alive, who is dead, who your allies may or may not be, who lives and who dies, as well as if the Reapers are totally defeated and at what cost and whether or not the Galaxy is united and equal or you put humanity on top.

Hopefully the next Mass Effect game will run along the lines of an MMO.

Anderson's story was already chronocled in a novel. For the life of me I can't remember the title.

My only concern about future titles beyond Shepard's story is well...how do you top it? The guy (or girl) will save the universe from an extinction cycle that has lasted hundreds of thousands, if not millions of years. I mean how do you top Shepard? How does anyone in the galaxy even compare?

You're right that they can't really top the story that they've given us this time around in terms of scale, but it's a big universe, with lots of intrigue and complex relations. They could take a page out of George Lucas' book and set up an intergalactic war (or, for that matter, have players try to stop one). Or go with more of a stealth, Secret Squirrel, Specter based game. And who knows what type of galaxy we'll be left with after the 3rd game?

He's destroyed games way worse than he did ME2, though in this case I feel his issues are pretty valid. Instead of refining things like planet exploration and inventory, Bioware just hacked it out with a chainsaw. Still his commentary was pretty funny, as it usually is.

He's destroyed games way worse than he did ME2, though in this case I feel his issues are pretty valid. Instead of refining things like planet exploration and inventory, Bioware just hacked it out with a chainsaw. Still his commentary was pretty funny, as it usually is.
I would've said he wanked on it if that review was more vicious.

Well, Yhatzee gleefully ripped Mass Effect 2 a new one in his latest review. Not only that, he went and took a missive dump into the hole. Watch at your own risk.

Uh, its quite clear that he liked it. A few nitpicks aside (which I agree with), he is clearly praising the game, in his own way.

I really hope any future ME title is NOT an MMO. Making it an MMO would suck out everything that makes ME special

Yeah: story and your companions.

I think the obvious choice is a non-human-focused series/sequel. Play from the turian side or something.

I'm cool with that. Turians kick ass.

My only concern about future titles beyond Shepard's story is well...how do you top it? The guy (or girl) will save the universe from an extinction cycle that has lasted hundreds of thousands, if not millions of years. I mean how do you top Shepard? How does anyone in the galaxy even compare?

They don't. Look at it another way; Luke Skywalker and his friends blew up two Death Stars and single-handedly brought down the Empire. How do you top that? Despite the iconic nature of the films, a lot of other Star Wars material has been produced. Bioware themselves have crafted some of the better Star Wars fiction (Knights of the Old Republic), and Mass Effect's lead writer (Drew Karpyshyn) has had a bit of acclaim for his Darth Bane novels.

So yeah, while the Mass Effect universe is unlikely to have a character as larger-than-life as Shepard, who's every decision seems to have repercussions for the entire galaxy, that hardly means that Shepard's story is the only one worth telling.

I'd like to see a more open ended game after the trilogy sort of like Elder Scrolls Oblivion where you can be who you want to be and select any race you want. Mix that in with a good story and perhaps Dragon Age like origin stories for each race/class and it it could be pretty good in my book.

For example have the ability to buy your own ship, Turian, Asari +++ each ship has its ups and downs. Bigger ships have larger crews and you could get a bigger squad and so on. And you can name your own ship and it will appear on the outside in cutscenes (Not sure if this is possible but it would be sweet)

Save Thane! (short little animation, but a few neat references inside it)

I see the artist pulled the Renegade trigger dealing with Mordin (slamming him "El Cabong" style with the surgical tray was a nice touch). I can see why, though, because like most Salarians he does tend to have diarrhea of the mouth if you don't shut him up somehow.