Do you think we'll get a second season of Macross Frontier?

UN Spacy

The other question to be asked is "Does it need a second series"? I think that SDF:Macross was originally supposed to end with episode 27 but due to its success they dragged it out for more episodes. (and most of these were pretty dreary until the last two)

I just hope that if they plotted Macross Frontier to only go for one season thats all they do, rather than "padding" it out.

I have to admit though it would be pretty cool if the last episode of frontier ended on a major cliffhanger and all of a sudden we realised "OMFG, there's going to be another season". If they could spring it on us as a surprise, it would be brilliant.

Taksraven

I can't seem to find an answer to this question; but how many episodes was M7 originally slated for?

I wouldn't mind a 10 episode arc chronicling the Vajra's integration (Meet the Applegates?) but considering how tight and the depth Frontier seems to have been laid out with so far I'd be worried about it feeling tacked on if they were to stretch it out... especially if they had to keep things going with the love triangle aspect.

Somehow I doubt it, especially since Satelight's series doesn't seem to exceed 26 episodes usually.

Also would a second seasons be a good idea ? Sometime it's nice to just let if go and quit... and a second season can be a very bad idea (I'm looking at you Code Geass !)

I'd definitly go for another Macross TV series after Frontier, but I'm not sure I'd want a second Macross Frontier. I'd rather have something different.

-Sergorn

I can't seem to find an answer to this question; but how many episodes was M7 originally slated for?

I wonder about that, too...since 49 episodes aired but 52 were made...

As for Frontier...if they planned it for two seasons, it should run for two seasons. If they only planned one season, I'd rather they didn't drag it out.

If they can continue the story after the end, though, I certainly hope they do. Macross Dynamite F, anyone...?

It definitely has the popularity to get a second season going by music sales and I'm sure dvd sales will back that up, but personally I'll only want a second season if they intended to do so in the first place, not something cooked up afterwards because of it's popularity.

Aren't the ratings for MacF incredibly low? That doesn't sound good...

Either way I wouldn't mind a second season. More Macross the better, especially since the way things are going now. Frontier is the best anime I've seen in decades. Has heart, soul, and amazing music (score and rock/pop) to back it up.

Definately wouldn't mind seeing some OAVs or even a movie. It certainly has the potential for it, though I'm more doubtful on the latter.

As for a second season... not neccessarily unless they always intended one... one of my main gripes with Macross 7 was that it was just dragged on across too many episodes.

"Incredibly low" is a bit of an exaggeration, but "breakout runaway hit" would also be a stretch.

Besides, ratings are one thing. DVD sales are another.

Ratings for late night shows are meaningless, late night shows are pretty much adverts for dvd sales which are what matters. Code Geass Season 1 and Haruhi rated in the 1-2% range and ended up as the 5th and 6th highest selling anime titles on dvd when you avg their sales by volumes.

Look at any horrible raws release (since they keep the ads in), most of the advertisements are any late night show are for the actual show itself in some form or manner, dvds, music cds, video games etc.

The only time ratings matter are when it's aired in Prime time which is why something like Kekkaishi got it's timeslot changed from 7pm on a Monday (IIRC) to 2:30 am some time during the week... and it was rating around 5-7% when it got moved and it was rating 7-9% earlier in it's run.

When Rurouni Kenshin got canceled for low ratings back in the day due to those horrible filler arcs... I think those ratings which got it canceled would place it first or second every week for the last 3 years....

I wonder about that, too...since 49 episodes aired but 52 were made...

It was successful when it aired tho... maybe they just cut extraneous episodes to make up for skipped weeks (and to milk OVA sales). Regardless, I haven't seen it anywhere that 7 was intended to be xx episodes and got extended... maybe it was intended to be 2 seasons from jumpstreet?

On a slightly different topic... If SDFM hadn't been extended an extra 9 or 10 episodes, and taken the story where it did, I gotta wonder if it'd be the lasting franchise it is today. There's alot of great character and political depth in those last episodes, if they're a little bit short on action. Not that it wouldn't have been a great series, but... I don't think it would have felt anywhere near as 'real'.

I dunno. I'd still imagine Kawamori runs the show here, and he makes new Macross shows whenever he damn well feels like it and not a minute before. Once the story of Frontier is told, I doubt he's going to want to revisit it, even for the promise of massive merchandising sales. He's had the opportunity to milk the Macross cow for decades now, but hasn't gone the way of Gundam yet (i.e., new show every year, most of them crap, but cranking out merchandising tie-ins ad nausea). I somehow doubt he's going to do that now.

I would (obviously) absolutely love a new Macross series after this, whether something completely new or a continuation to Frontier. Given the Froating Head's past actions, though, I just don't think it's going to happen. There will be more Macross, but I'd be very surprised to see it before 2010-2012 or thereabouts. As long as the gap btwn Zero and Frontier, at least. I do hope I'm wrong.

And for the record, I'm going to go through a minor bout of depression about a week after the Frontier finale ... just as soon as it sinks in that there will be no new Macross goodness to savor for what will seem an interminably long time ... :(

It's been one heck of a ride so far, at least.

It was successful when it aired tho... maybe they just cut extraneous episodes to make up for skipped weeks (and to milk OVA sales). Regardless, I haven't seen it anywhere that 7 was intended to be xx episodes and got extended... maybe it was intended to be 2 seasons from jumpstreet?

I haven't seen that anywhere, either...and it wouldn't make sense, since very little of any import happens in the first 26 episodes...things don't really start moving until they get to Lux. If it had been a short series that was extended, it most likely would have been the reverse. So I assume it was planned as 49~52 episodes from the start.

On a slightly different topic... If SDFM hadn't been extended an extra 9 or 10 episodes, and taken the story where it did, I gotta wonder if it'd be the lasting franchise it is today. There's alot of great character and political depth in those last episodes, if they're a little bit short on action. Not that it wouldn't have been a great series, but... I don't think it would have felt anywhere near as 'real'.

I like the last nine episodes, but they really make me lose sympathy for Hikaru ("MAKE UP YOUR MIND, DAMMIT!"). I definitely agree that it adds a lot of depth to the series to show the world a year or two later, and makes one realize that nothing was tied up into the neat little bow that episode 27 seemed to promise. Life always goes on, and there are always problems.

IIRC, Ishiguro said that the last episodes were his favorites, but Kawamori said they were completely disposable. Funny that the staff would be so divided over them...

I think we'll get another season for Frontier.

if they extend the show for a few more episodes, i hope it wont affect the overall story or ruin the ending with an anti-climax.

a new series or OVA pops up every 5 or so years....i can be patient and wait for it.

Edited by polidread

Like most people I say if they planned to do another season then I'm all for it. I think a second season shouldn't be just a continuation of all the stuff from the first though. Like a new enemy entirely and a different situation but our same SMS people on Frontier. Kind of how Full Metal Panic did it with their 2nd season (or 3rd if you go chronologically and include Fumoffu as the 2nd) where it was different stuff but still linked somewhat in the end.

However if not planned then they should leave it alone but that doesn't mean it can get the same treatment as Mac7 with an OVA and/or a Movie.

When Rurouni Kenshin got canceled for low ratings back in the day due to those horrible filler arcs... I think those ratings which got it canceled would place it first or second every week for the last 3 years....

Random cursing in backdrop. With an entire manga arc finished and never explored (as well as the mangaka's subsequent series largely tanking), why why why isn't this being optioned for a new series? >0(

I actually think MF is in a good position to continue. I've seen shows like Darker than Black also enter the OVA /second season discussions recently in spite of the concerns about low audience share. DVDs and merchandise are an important part of recouping money in Japan.

Besides which I've seen this show come out of nowhere and go neck to neck with Bleach, Code Geass, Vampire Knights in many forums and online communities. I think the one thing this show really is doing well is adding a new fanbase to Macross. The question is whether the younger folks will show support in buying merchandise and DVDs. (Or if the old ones like me will turn out in force and buy... )

if they extend the show for a few more episodes, i hope it wont affect the overall story or ruin the ending with an anti-climax.

These days, there's not much in the way of extending shows. If they want extensions, they'll probably ask the studio for another season. The Fall schedule, by this point, is going to be set in stone. We already know that Gundam 00's 2nd season is set to premiere in October, on Sundays @ 5PM. I think things now are set, so chances of an extension are very unlikely.

hmmm...I don't think Frontier will have a second season, they're using a very big budget for the series to try and make it OAV like quality, and with episode 14 where they just cram everything like a stuffed turkey I think budget might be getting a bit tight or something, besides, Kawamori said this was going to be the best macross that was going to tie everything toguether so I think a 2nd season will be a no no...

hmm...so the last 9 episodes of SDFM Macross weren't planned?? so I guess Kawamori doesn't like to clear love triangles, if SDFM would have ended in ep 27, we wouldn't have gotten a clear view of who Hikaru ended with, and now I wonder is Misa was originally planned to end up with him

OOOOOH MANNNN, I want to comment soo bad!!! But I promised I wouldn't speak evil of Macross 7, and Gubaba is holding me to that promise!!! :lol:

Don't get me wrong, Macross 7 was good not great, but you know you have a problem when the Big Bad Protodevlin start singing their hearts, thats if they have hearts, leave the singing to the rock stars. FIYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA (Insert rowdy rock fans here) BOMBMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.

What would be super cool is yes a second season, but a whole new storyline.. every year a new macross.

Would love to see a new story focusing on the DYRL era.

Or the VFX Ravens story, nothing wrong with seeing more of the VF-19 and the outstanding, the magnificent, the extravagant VF-22 Sturmvogel II.

OOOOOH MANNNN, I want to comment soo bad!!! But I promised I wouldn't speak evil of Macross 7, and Gubaba is holding me to that promise!!! :lol:

And I even spoke well of Carl Macek in another thread!

Basara Loves you yeah! ^_^

By the way, does anyone have a reference for Kawamori saying that Macross Frontier would tie up all the loose ends...? Or is that just a rumor?

Aren't the ratings for MacF incredibly low? That doesn't sound good...

Either way I wouldn't mind a second season. More Macross the better, especially since the way things are going now. Frontier is the best anime I've seen in decades. Has heart, soul, and amazing music (score and rock/pop) to back it up.

Again merchandising is what really matters, the original Gundam series almost got canceled due to low ratings but was saved due to merchandising.

Or the VFX Ravens story, nothing wrong with seeing more of the VF-19 and the outstanding, the magnificent, the extravagant VF-22 Sturmvogel II.

Yes, and why don't we call it Gundam while we're at it.....

By the way, does anyone have a reference for Kawamori saying that Macross Frontier would tie up all the loose ends...? Or is that just a rumor?

I don't recall any article mentioning it.

Not knowing how Frontier will end, I hope Frontier introduces a whole new generation of fans to the Macross franchise. And if that happens, I'd like to see more, but different Macross. I'd want to see a new OVA - maybe something in that 30 year gap between SDFM and Plus. I'd like to see a new TV series - but something different from the deep space fleet stories in M7 and MF. It'd all have to be done carefully, as I don't want to see Macross blow up and become overdone like Gundam.

I don't recall any article mentioning it.

I don't, either...which leads me to believe that anyone expecting Frontier to tie up all the loose ends is simply setting themselves up for a big fall. Much like those here who convinced themselves that Macross Zero would somehow tie into the beginning of SDF:M, when Kawamori had promised no such thing.