Macross Frontier Episode 14 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 14 Rating  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Rating?

• Positive (VF-171 in action = BOMBA!)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Luca x Nanase = LOSE)

I'm not commenting on Gallia 4 anymore, this looks like one that could go on until next Thursday when the new episode will make us forget it.

As for time in learning to fly a Valk. Shin definitely had it down by episode 5 of Zero, at least he was doing pretty decently but before that he was shaky. Hikaru master the VF-1 within 2 months because besides his little jaunt in the VF-1D he never touched one until episode 6. That episode had his first sortie but also they said it was 2 months into their trip which is why they were already at Saturn. The Macross's voyage home was really glossed over in the 10 episodes it happened in considering it was a years time.

I'm not commenting on Gallia 4 anymore, this looks like one that could go on until next Thursday when the new episode will make us forget it.

As for time in learning to fly a Valk. Shin definitely had it down by episode 5 of Zero, at least he was doing pretty decently but before that he was shaky. Hikaru master the VF-1 within 2 months because besides his little jaunt in the VF-1D he never touched one until episode 6. That episode had his first sortie but also they said it was 2 months into their trip which is why they were already at Saturn. The Macross's voyage home was really glossed over in the 10 episodes it happened in considering it was a years time.

I remember being surprised by that when I first watched R***tech. From the beginning, I noticed similarites to Star Blazers, so I figured it would be a long, long journey. Thus, I was a little disappointed that they reached Earth so quickly.

However, Hikaru and Minmay were wandering around in the hold for quite a while...I'm sure they were sad to have missed seeing Uranus, which is big and gassy. ^_^

(YES! I finally made a "Uranus" joke on Macrossworld!)

Ok, this ends this conversation.

Have you personally ever watched a Dimension Eater detonate? No? Then you have NO IDEA what it would do to a planet. :D EOS

MisaForNaught, you must live such an exciting life full of very amazing and unspecific events. Considering you hate speculation even when it is for fun's sake and you don't even want to theorize how something hypothetical may work I wonder what it is you do when you are reading all the stuff on this forum where everyone is guessing what is going to happen or how this did that? Perhaps think of new ways you can get more Klan Klan in your life? :lol::p

Edited by Master Dex

I don't care about Galia 4 core or Uranus, I'm curious about Ohgota, did he really survive in the orbital module?

Besides, during the Frontier Battle, I guess the Dulfim crew is still under quarantine ^_^ I want to see that ship in action.

Have you personally ever watched a Dimension Eater detonate? No? Then you have NO IDEA what it would do to a planet. :D EOS

I concur. For example, the fold bubble itself could be extremely cold, freezing the molten interior instantaneously during the consumption process. Makes sense to me, anyway; there's really no basis for speculating on the physics of it.

Of course, the planet should then quickly collapse in on itself... but that doesn't have to happen instantaneously. We're talking about a planet the size of Earth, here. Even accelerating at 1g, objects don't move that fast on that scale...

Edited by DeeBot

hah, well, not only does this end the discussion on the DE, but on all tech speculation on MW. good job, you killed macrossworld. :angry:

:lol:

hah, well, not only does this end the discussion on the DE, but on all tech speculation on MW. good job, you killed macrossworld. :angry:

:lol:

Hey, there's a lot to Macrossworld besides tech stuff...but I still think it's best that the engineers stay out of the character and plot discussion threads, and the English majors (like me) stay out of the mecha threads...

So, um, scoot back to your part of the website, and talk about hardpoints and reactive armor and 45-degree angled control sticks and whatever else it is that you guys talk about there. Meanwhile, we'll stay here and talk about how Alto is learning to relate to people better and why the Vajra Queen was trying to communicate with Ranka.

Pausing occasionally for Uranus jokes and speculations on whether homosexuality makes one an unfit battleship pilot, of course... :p

Hey, there's a lot to Macrossworld besides tech stuff...but I still think it's best that the engineers stay out of the character and plot discussion threads, and the English majors (like me) stay out of the mecha threads...

So, um, scoot back to your part of the website, and talk about hardpoints and reactive armor and 45-degree angled control sticks and whatever else it is that you guys talk about there. Meanwhile, we'll stay here and talk about how Alto is learning to relate to people better and why the Vajra Queen was trying to communicate with Ranka.

Pausing occasionally for Uranus jokes and speculations on whether homosexuality makes one an unfit battleship pilot, of course... :p

I find this idea of segregation in Macross World to be distasteful. I am an engineer (ok student, but it is close enough) and I like talking about mechanical stuff but I like talking about character things as well. Just because we don't have the same idea on our minds at all times does not make us that different, perhaps it makes us the same... ;):p

I find this idea of segregation in Macross World to be distasteful. I am an engineer (ok student, but it is close enough) and I like talking about mechanical stuff but I like talking about character things as well. Just because we don't have the same idea on our minds at all times does not make us that different, perhaps it makes us the same... ;):p

I find it rather distasteful, too, which it why I was making fun of that attitude in my post...(although I do find that I sometimes have no idea what people in the mecha thread are talking about...but that's clearly MY fault, not theirs).

Just a thought: There is only enough room in the universe for one Macross-level ship.

Hence, Battle 25 will be on the verge of preparing, after many episodes, to finally enter battle... when it's obliterated by a surprise attack.

It's then up to the Quarter to pick up the slack.

Seriously, why have both of them? And the Quarter is clearly more important, plot-wise. I get a red shirt vibe off the crew of Battle 25...

Just a thought: There is only enough room in the universe for one Macross-level ship.

Hence, Battle 25 will be on the verge of preparing, after many episodes, to finally enter battle... when it's obliterated by a surprise attack.

It's then up to the Quarter to pick up the slack.

Seriously, why have both of them? And the Quarter is clearly more important, plot-wise. I get a red shirt vibe off the crew of Battle 25...

There's no such thing as too many Macross class ship ^_^

If you watched Macross II, there are over four titanic Macross Cannon class ship and one original Macross (which are all vaporized) and then there's another two Macross Cannon survivor. ^_^

I concur. For example, the fold bubble itself could be extremely cold, freezing the molten interior instantaneously during the consumption process. Makes sense to me, anyway; there's really no basis for speculating on the physics of it.

Of course, the planet should then quickly collapse in on itself... but that doesn't have to happen instantaneously. We're talking about a planet the size of Earth, here. Even accelerating at 1g, objects don't move that fast on that scale...

One other thing to consider is that space folds open up a portal into the Super Dimension. We have no idea what it's physics are, let alone how they distort the physics in our own dimension. The only thing we know is that when humans and aliens in the Macross universe enter the Super Dimension, they have to bring a chunk of our dimension with them (inside the fold bubble.)

I'm beginning to think that the bomb didn't so much fold out the planet, but fold in a chunk of Super Dimension Space. And without an active fold generator, objects from one dimension return to the other (example Hikaru and Misa returned to our dimension after being sucked out of Buritai's ship mid-space fold in DYRL.)

I find it rather distasteful, too, which it why I was making fun of that attitude in my post...(although I do find that I sometimes have no idea what people in the mecha thread are talking about...but that's clearly MY fault, not theirs).

I too was making a joke out of it so there is no problem. Even sometimes I wonder about some of the character theories I see, but then I think about some type of shiny aerospace craft (mech or not) doing something cool and I get over it.

So the Vajra attacked Frontier according to Grace plan, so she probably use the purple crystal thingy to lure them away. Or is it the release of Tori no Hito movie that trigger this? As I predicted in other thread few weeks ago, Ranka's 'Aimo' got something to do with Vajra, either it annoys them to hell or they are die hard fanatics of Aimo. :unsure:

Ok, just watched this episode. My thoughts:

1. This is a far better dramatic rendition of an action episode than episode 7 was. I think one of the reasons for this is that they weren't ready to actually have anything significant HAPPEN, plot wise, in episode 7. Galaxy was attacked, so Frontier came to their "rescue" - and really, other than the tension between Alto and Sheryl, and a bit of Ranka being worried, you didn't have as much raw danger and "plot thread resolution" going on - largely because they were still building up the characters. In this respect, given episode 14, episode 7 is EVEN WEAKER. But I digress (as usual!)...

2. Luca. I hope he's ok. We don't see his fate - but he is a brave boy; he saved Sheryl's life; and probably Mikeal's as well...oh...wait! Where the heck is Mikeal?! For all intents and purposes - he seems to be a fatality.

If Mikeal is dead, I will be surprised - he is the last person I would expect to be killed - but sometimes a situation is greater than any person's particular skills. Soldiers who got chopped down on D-Day weren't killed based on their lack of skill - it is often times the nature of mass warfare to dilute any sense of "honorable sorties against the enemy" or a "dual of skills" - and be all about random chance.

The Pixie dying seems somewhat gratuitous - in fact; it seems almost indicative of the writers being...afraid?...to kill of any of the main cast as such?

Anyways - back to Luca - this was really his episode. He asked Nana on a date, even if he didn't quite put it that way, and he's mustering up the courage to reveal his feelings to her. He acted bravely; and sortied very well - IMO.

3. Interesting to find out that Canalia does indeed have a kid... I wrote earlier that she is probably soft spoken because she has a private life and doesn't need to be flirty and friendly and go out "with the gang" - I hope this is the case; that the kid lives on Frontier with Dad...and not that the kid was killed long ago in a tragic attack which compelled Canalia to join SMS (I just don't like the idea that EVERYONE has to have some traumatic terrible past which brought them to where they are now - can't some characters have a fairly normal and happy life? Look at Max from SDF M TV - all of the terrible things happening didn't stop him getting married and having a family)....

4. Ozma - just when you thought Ozma had become a cool guy he goes back to being a dork. Maybe it was in jest; the whole "Fail and I'll kill you" thing - but it was just unnecessary really. It was just as unnecessary as punching the guy. I guess I'm making too big a deal about it - Roy did tell Hikaru at one point "I don't care if you die; just make sure nothing happens to the girl!" - but every time Roy delivered a line like that, he laughed, smiled and spoke in a voice full of brotherly warmth. Ozma sounds like some really pissed off Japanese guy who wants to roast your nutts on an open fire...I don't know the language - but just listening to the tone that Roy Fokker spoke in and comparing it to Ozma...

5. Speaking of tone.... I think the voice acting is at times TOO melodramatic. SDF M TV didn't have people screaming all the time and there was far less of this pathos going around. EVERYTHING is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. EVERY WORD IS EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL. I think they could do a better job toning done the "YAAAARRRometer".... I understand LUCA being melodramatic - he's a little kid; for someone like him - this is as big as it gets. He has every right to be melodramatic in his love to Nana, in his fighting...everything... But Alto...Alto just overdoes it.

6. Someone mentioned "feeling" for the Vajra - how one couldn't help but feel for the Vajra in this episode... well... I didn't feel for them. In fact, I felt that Frontier finally got its' just deserts; finally got a chance to pummel the Vajra. The NUNS especially - I was pleasently surprised by them.

In fact - let me stop a moment to discuss NUNS. I can imagine a wonderful sidelines fanfic for Frontier - dealing with NUNS. You start out with a bunch of loser; demoralized, lower class unambitious dregs who joined the army for money, job security, free food, cool mecha, or plain dumb stupidity. These guys are treated as cannon fodder by the higher ups - easily replacable low lifes. They are poorly paid, ill equiped and sent out on the front lines to confront the Vajra.

Now - trace their development to the culmination which is episode 14 - where suddenly NUNS takes charge; and I don't mean Leon and El Presidente - I mean the VF-171 cannon fodders who suddenly fight effectively and with gusto.

I would love to imagine to myself the kind of evolution in thinking that the events of the past 14 episodes had brought about amongst the ranks of NUNS grunts to make them fight like this. It would make a great story.

7. Grace "lived" - or is she really just a computer program and they created a new body for her?

8. Did the Vajra queen take on a more anthropomorphic form and start singing to Ranka as an attempt to communicate with her?

9.Hmm...what else is there to say?

I don't like cliff hangers of this sort. What is the fate of Luca? Of Mikhael? And how does Brera Stern expect to explain his past actions; not always beneficial to Frontier - or at least STRANGE?

10. Sheryl. Well - Sheryl...tried to fly. Good. Sheryl is a tough cookie. Sheryl ... is clearly ...hmm...tough. She doesn't give up. In this episode; she was sidelined, shot down, unsung... but she just doesn't quit.

overall, a fantastic episode. TERRIBLE if taken as a stand alone - because it would probably come across as way too melodramatic ...but as a kind of culmination of numerous plotthreads - it's great.

After these events - things will have to be different.

Luca (if he lived) will confess his love to Nana (hoping!), Mikael.... I think he's dead. Really. I just don't see him in a hospital saying "gee that hurt" - we had that with Ozma - but this is entirely different. Mikael looked dead when Sheryl tried to wake him; and the fighter exploding couldn't have helped matters much. If he were still alive; he was clearly profusely bleeding. If he survived the fighter explosion and was tossed into space - I really can't see how he would have been rescued; or by whom, or in what state for that matter.

And was the Zendradi Pixie who was killed the same one that Alto tagged during training?

VFTF1

7. Grace "lived" - or is she really just a computer program and they created a new body for her?

It's possible she's cyborg enough that they could back up her "brain" and restore it to a cloned/rebuilt body

At which point it's a point for the philosophers if she lived or not.

My review(just watched, missed umpteen-bajillion pages of discussion, so sue me):

Epic battle!

The VF-121 is QBerting awesome!

Alto is becoming a piloting jenius!

Everything gets QBerting nuked!

The Quarter transforms without the battle becoming farcical!

I give it two thumbs up. Way up. Zentran-sized.

Also: New barrier tech! No glowing green aura of defensiveness!

Yea they gave Raramia the Gundam Seed death(Astray girls) where it didn't really seem to matter simply because they didn't really have any screen time.

Was there any clear indication that a main character was going to die in this episode? There were about 2 or 3 times where they lead on to Luca dying but obviously not, his dish got destroyed and nothing else.

Well I'll be damned, I thought they completely got rid of the M+ tech but there it is, the Diamond squad using the pin-point punch like the YF-19(I didn't see M7 yet).

Overall a good episode, it went by quick though because there wasn't much of the story taking place in this episode.

overall, a fantastic episode. TERRIBLE if taken as a stand alone - because it would probably come across as way too melodramatic ...but as a kind of culmination of numerous plotthreads - it's great.

If you think about it, episode 14 isn't just the conclusion of the "Gallia IV" story arc (11-14), it also acts as a conclusion to the previous 7 episodes as well (8-14) paying off for certain things that were set during those episodes (Sheryl joining the pilot class, Brera's appearance in Frontier). At the same time, it sets things up for the next "arc" of episodes (just like episode 7 set things up for Brera's appearance/interference/intervention in Frontier.

Mikhail, dead? That seems like a really odd conclusion to come to. Injured, sure, but he didn't actually look to be bleeding any more than Isamu by the end of Macross Plus. You really don't think Alto or Luca could have rescued him, it didn't seem to be Sheryl they were bringing the medical cot out for when the group of them arrived back at the Quarter. I'll be incredibly surprised if Mikhail is dead.

Well, the last time I set off a dimension eater in my backyard the planet survived.

Have I look, I filmed it, enjoy.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DOMSITyrlQ

Taksraven

5. Speaking of tone.... I think the voice acting is at times TOO melodramatic. SDF M TV didn't have people screaming all the time and there was far less of this pathos going around. EVERYTHING is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. EVERY WORD IS EXTREMELY EMOTIONAL. I think they could do a better job toning done the "YAAAARRRometer".... I understand LUCA being melodramatic - he's a little kid; for someone like him - this is as big as it gets. He has every right to be melodramatic in his love to Nana, in his fighting...everything... But Alto...Alto just overdoes it.

Alto = Isamu ^_^

I don't care about Galia 4 core or Uranus, I'm curious about Ohgota, did he really survive in the orbital module?

Besides, during the Frontier Battle, I guess the Dulfim crew is still under quarantine ^_^ I want to see that ship in action.

Which reminds me. Whatever happened to the Dulfim and its crew? :blink: Last we saw them thet were moored on one of Frontier's Modules. :mellow:

But during this episode in the scene were the Vajra hits Frontier from behind we don't see even the silhoutte of the Dulfim. :huh: