VF-22S Conversion Parts for 1/60 Yamato YF-21

PsYcHoDyNaMiX

Blah... with school starting I wanted to get more done with this project. Here is what I have so far. There is still alot more that needs to be done. ALOT. I am more determined to finish this project within the next month (before October), maybe sooner.

P.S.

I've already ordered magnets from the recommended link by eugimon.

post-4919-1220501384_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1220501406_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1220501413_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1220501425_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1220501437_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1220501447_thumb.jpg

Work and school is always a downer, except the money from work. :lol:

On the belly plates, I can see that you have used sheet platic for the construction but what is the green stuff?

How did you keep it from sticking to the origional parts.

The canopy and face plate are perfect. They will look great in color.

Looks like lots of hard work.

Fly4victory:

The green stuff is a two part modelling epoxy called "Kneadatite". Sculpts pretty well (better with water) and cures in 4-5 hrs with max strength in 24 hrs. I had a supply of the ribbon form, but it seems they sell it in a tube now. If you get the ribbon and don't want it to cure on its own you can slow down the process by keeping it in your freezer. Mine has been there for like uhh... 4 years now? LOL, good stuff however.

***EDIT***

Oh yea to answer you question about how I kept "it" from sticking to the original parts. I used a petroleum based jelly (Vaseline) or in minor cases chap-stick... lip balm. I applied a thin layer of the petroleum based jelly to the original and set the part on to form the shape w/o sticking. Let the part sit for a few minutes to cure (depending on what you're using to capture the shape) and when its about right remove the two parts.

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I wouldn't worry too much about getting this project out ASAP...school and work are important. But man, these pics are looking awesome. When these parts are casted, are they gonna be casted in the blue color?

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

After sand down/trim the canopy the parts will get primed for more sanding/puttying. I was able to gut out some of the excess putty for the bay covers to reduce it's overall weight (some more will be removed eventually).

Pics...

***EDIT***

Quick note: changes which I have made from the previous pics. I was able to start working on the actual visor for the battroid's faceplate (trimming, shaping, etc...). I was able to round out the front of the bay covers (near the intakes) and fill/smooth out the joining of the seams. I was able to round out the main canopy window some more and I am currently working on it's framework.

post-4919-1226301008_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1226301022_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1226301033_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1226301040_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1226301048_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1226301056_thumb.jpg

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hey Everyone,

I've been on break the past week and a half. Aside from the holidays, family events and stuff I made some more time to start up on the project again.

I was able to work on the canopy some more and get some more sanding done. I primed up the parts for the smoothing out process and any other rough areas I may have missed with my eyes. I still have to etch/detail all the parts, and define the mounting holes on bay covers (for the display mount).

Here are some more pics, enjoy:

post-4919-1230858983_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1230858994_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1230859002_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1230859008_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1230859015_thumb.jpg

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Hey Everyone,

I've been on break the past week and a half. Aside from the holidays, family events and stuff I made some more time to start up on the project again.

I was able to work on the canopy some more and get some more sanding done. I primed up the parts for the smoothing out process and any other rough areas I may have missed with my eyes. I still have to etch/detail all the parts, and define the mounting holes on bay covers (for the display mount).

Here are some more pics, enjoy:

Great to see this is still coming along. I am still on the pre-order list, right?

Wicked- Yea, you're still on the list. When the project is complete and a casting window becomes available then I'll create a separate thread for orders. I'll go through this thread to check with everyone who stated they were originally interested and see if they still are.

Max

• 1 month later...

any updates? I'd love to get a kit in time for the mac aus con 09' in May this year, but i doubt that might happen, but i can speak for everyone else

we are keen to see how it's all going! :D err yeh BUMPA! seriously can't let this thread disapear. :p

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

Hey guys,

I've worked on the project since I've last posted, but haven't had the chance to taking more pictures and posting them. I'll try to get some up by next week. I have this programming project I need to get out of the way for my OS class. -=X

I've started etching out the panel lines and other markings. You'll see them when I post up the pics.

Max

"School has me in the gutter atm... >.>"

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I apologize for the lack of updates, better pics and more primer, but school has got me good this semester (especially my Operating Systems class, the professor "isn't that great"). I made some progress about a month ago, but never got around to doing more work and taking better pictures.

Max

P.S. I've been working with Maya and made a YF-19 which is going to be included in a 20 second animation for my groups final project. I wanted to put more work on the 19 since the 19 is one of my favorite planes, but my team member wanted to keep it low poly and I'm still new to Maya. However, it was good enough that my professor thought it was one of the better models of the entire class.

***EDIT***

Of course any constructive criticism, comments are welcome. Thanks!

post-4919-1238796116_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1238796127_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1238796137_thumb.jpg

post-4919-1238796150_thumb.jpg

YF_19_Maya.bmp

Edited by PsYcHoDyNaMiX