Nanase... yea? or nay?

stray

So, I was talking with some like minded folk about Nana-chan, and it seems as though there is some... hrm. Quite a few people just don't seem to like the girl (I KNOW, right?). Sadly, all I can profess for her myself is indifference. Like some textured wallpaper that's nice to grope at first, but in the end is just kind of... there.

So anyway I figured I'd put the question out there. Are you a Nanase hater? lover? If so, why?

Hater...cuz pig ugly mammaries are ugly.

I prefer the more "modest" characters in MacFrontier.

;)

PS: Btw wondering if u have a hi-res of the Jenius family image on your avatar.

Edited by wolfx

Add me to the "hater" camp as well. She doesn't really seem to add anything to the show and her appearance and personally aren't all that attractive. I'd prefer the screen time spent on Nanase were transferred to Canaria.

Well, shes' not flat but well rounded enough to make some of our member drool over her....she deserve her own Custom VF-11MAXL without the sound booster.

Wow, I'm surprised by some of your reactions. O.O I definitely have nothing against her but I can see where she's not pivotal.

I'm surprised, too...she's not pivotal, she's not even very important (yet, at least)...seems like she should be below the haters' radar.

It's like hating one of Minmay's giggly friends, or Hikaru's nurse, or one of the Pin Point Barrier Girls...

So, all ye who hate Nanase...what has she ever done to YOU, besides strive to entertain you with purple hair, cute glasses, and jiggly goodness?

or one of the Pin Point Barrier Girls...

Gubaba, you make me want to watch Macross TV series again to see those girls in action. They are the true defender of SDF-1, stopping dozens of attack while screaming hysterically.

Gubaba, you make me want to watch Macross TV series again to see those girls in action. They are the true defender of SDF-1, stopping dozens of attack while screaming hysterically.

And since there are (I believe) six Pin Point Barriers on the Frontier, it's double the decibels in 2059! :lol:

And since there are (I believe) six Pin Point Barriers on the Frontier, it's double the decibels in 2059! :lol:

Though I would imagine the classic trackball system has been replace with a touchscreen allow them to point and click where to put the barrier now.

check out my avatar :wub:

lol...

notice that even though she seems non-pivotal, Nana-chan appears in every single episode except ep 7. i think its a safe bet she'll continue to appear in most if not all the rest of the episodes. :)

luckily i'm not in the haters camp :lol:

Edited by Shun

not a nanase fan, although i gotta admit i wouldn't mind ogling her.

i think though that her role, while not pivotal, is essential for adding contrast and depth to the sheryl-ranka rivalry.

nanase is the keystone to ranka's support structure, which is much more personal and genuine to what sheryl has -- grace (who's actions are increasingly dubious and apparently out of self-interest) and a multitude of fans in lieu of friends.

later sheryl muscles in on ranka's male friends, but ranka strikes back by winning her own fans. they may end up with a draw on that front leaving only nanase/grace as the defining element. it's a classic juxtaposition: fame vs friendship.

nanase makes it possible to portray ranka as a normal average girl who just happens to have extraordinary talent. a girl who succeeds through the support and encouragement of friends, which makes her easily likeable, more accessible, forgivable for her faults. again in contrast to sheryl's fiercely independent nature that conceals her vulnerabilities. sure, a combination of other characters can play the support role for ranka, but perhaps not as effectively (imagine michael or luca forming a fans club? and who would gossip to ranka about sheryl and alto?), and so nanase serves as the lens to embody that support. she also exemplifies the normalcy of it -- how many girls that have a very close bestfriend do you know, compared to sheryl-types?

finally, what is luca to do without nanase? :lol:

Okay, I'll have to say exactly why I don't like Nanase... her design insults me (this is a personal reaction) because she seems to have been put there to satisfy some people's need to see a bunch of bouncing breasts. I certainly excuse Sheryl's breasts, she's a pop star and that's a given. I can also excuse Klan's because she's interesting enough. But Nanase, apart from supporting Ranka she's just not interesting at all! And it is more surprising that she's neck and neck in popularity with Ranka who's a more dynamic character. It's definitely the breasts, and I find that insulting (the fact that people root for her because she's got big boobies?!), don't you? No? Then I'd agree to disagree ;) Peace.

Edited by mike_s_6

Okay, I'll have to say exactly why I don't like Nanase... her design insults me (this is a personal reaction) because she seems to have been put there to satisfy some people's need to see a bunch of bouncing breasts. I certainly excuse Sheryl's breasts, she's a pop star and that's a given. I can also excuse Klan's because she's interesting enough. But Nanase, apart from supporting Ranka she's just not interesting at all! And it is more surprising that she's neck and neck in popularity with Ranka who's a more dynamic character. It's definitely the breasts, and I find that insulting (the fact that people root for her because she's got big boobies?!), don't you? No? Then I'd agree to disagree ;) Peace.

Actually, as I've said elsewhere, the boobies really do very little for me. I like the glasses. And the hair.

Which is also, coincidentally, why my favorite Frontier bridge bunny is Mina.

don't care either way. not that much of an interesting character to begin with, but she does have her purpose to the series (although it is admittedly quite minimal). as gubaba said, she's too much of an insignificant character to either love or hate, imo. (although i wouldn't go as far as comparing her to Hikaru's nurse). ultimately, as a character, she just doesn;t have any substance.

On the other hand, i don't think she's supposed to have any. otherwise, she might just steal some character development time from sheryl-alto-ranka. and i wouldn't like that. so in her lack of substance, she does serve a purpose. ;)

i think it's more of the rabid (mmm, too harsh? :p ) fan reaction to Nanase's figure that has brought about this thread. but character-wise... nah, still nothing. :mellow:

Actually, as I've said elsewhere, the boobies really do very little for me. I like the glasses. And the hair.

I really do like the matched purple look she's got going on.

To be fair I never even thought much about Nana-chan... she's just kind of there to me. On another forum (which shall remain nameless) it was like a support group tho, one person confessed their dislike and it was like the whole room could breathe, as they shouted "I hate her tooooo!!!"

Definitely made me curious, though, since everyone loves Nanase over here it seems.

I like Nanase and I don't see how anyone can hate her. Nanase hasn't done anything that seems worthy of hating her. She is also a very attractive girl as well. I just love girls with glasses.

Actually, Frontier is one of those few anime where I like pretty much every character. Leon is honestly the only character that I can say I really dislike.

Stray if you had let me make the thread instead it would either have twice as many replies or be locked by now :lol: :lol:

My take on Nanase.... she's a worthless one dimensional ugly looking (This show had 2 character designers? lol apart from Sheryl and Cathy everyone ranges from average to bad) big breasted girl who's sole purpose in 12 episodes has been to wave around Ranka Lee poms poms. You know I don't mind that she's fully on Ranka's side... why wouldn't she be? She's her best friend but when halfway through an entire show that's the only thing she's done... what a waste of screentime. She's on the level of Klan's 2 pixies and the bridge bunnies but she has had more screentime than all 5 of them combined. Houko's other character in the show Canaria is much better than Nanase and if anyon likes her because of her big breasts I suggest you watch Sekirei because there's about 10 girls in the show who actually look hot and have more of a personality along with their big tits.

I really do like the matched purple look she's got going on.

To be fair I never even thought much about Nana-chan... she's just kind of there to me. On another forum (which shall remain nameless) it was like a support group tho, one person confessed their dislike and it was like the whole room could breathe, as they shouted "I hate her tooooo!!!"

Definitely made me curious, though, since everyone loves Nanase over here it seems.

maybe them people are somehow so threatened by Nana's boobiliciousness. :lol:

How so when those commenting are also fans of Klan and Sheryl? o__O

Yeah... my top 3 Frontier girls are Sheryl, Klan, Cathy and I'm really enjoying the latest season of Ikkitousen (Kanu ftmfw) and can't wait for Sekirei (Tsukiumi!!!). Size of her boobs have nothing to do with it, she would be just as worthless if she was flat.

Edited by Westlo

Stray if you had let me make the thread instead it would either have twice as many replies or be locked by now :lol: :lol:

Quite possibly both actually... :lol:

It doesn't have the same ring as "Nanase the worthless big titted character" sadly, but I'm like Switzerland.

edit:

I can't think of any Macross character I just hate. Nanase does kind of remind me of Tsugumi from Aquarion tho, who kind of irritated me, but it's not overwhelming.

Edited by stray

Dunno exactly what their issue is, then. Don't exactly care.

I'm a fan of Klan and Sheryl, too.

Afaik, Nana's got the perfect boobage among the female characters. B))

You know what, it seems from what you're saying, that "if not for the boobs, what is the issue?" There are issues more than the boobs of course! Klan and Sheryl are both hotness and attitude, and Nanase is quite lacking in that. She's like boobs without that much substance. (That didn't come out right.)

Quite possibly both actually... :lol:

It doesn't have the same ring as "Nanase the worthless big titted character" sadly, but I'm like Switzerland.

edit:

I can't think of any Macross character I just hate. Nanase does kind of remind me of Tsugumi from Aquarion tho, who kind of irritated me, but it's not overwhelming.

Tsugumi in her intro episode alone has been more entertaining than Nanase was in 12 episodes.

Ok, time for me to step in and show just how important Nana is as a character. Behold:

1. Who do you think kept Ranka focused on her job at the Chinese restaurant? Without Nana there, Ranka would have been fired long ago, but Nana always calmed her down and reminded her to focus on her job. Ranka would have been totally intimidated by that shrieking Chinese Chef if not for the support of Nana who was always by her side at work.

2. Do you seriously think Ranka would have stayed in the wardrobe at the Miss Macross competition if Nana hadn't given her the "you're beautiful, forget about all these boobies!" speech? Sure, Sheryl's later kind words also encourage her, but it is NANA who goes with Ranka, Nana who tells her the most encouraging words - and it is NANA - not Alto - who is in the audience up until the very end.

3. If all of the above isn't enough - Nana bravely tells Ranka that she will go to jail with her friend if they are discovered violating the Environmental Acts. She does this because she values her friends' feelings and fondness for the litttle creature that comforted her above any government regulations.

Nana has a big heart and lots of character - and people who say that she's just wallpaper are flat wrong. Wallpaper doesn't talk, it doesn't cheer you up, it doesn't worry about you when you've run away from your Big Brother and organize Micheal and Luca to search for you, wallpaper doesn't comfort you, wallpaper doesn't promise to go to jail with you, and wallpaper doesn't jump for joy when it sees you after a long time no see.

There's a reason Nana is in the show as much as she is - it's because she's a key character - a CORE character, if you will. Nana is much more important than the bridge bunnies or Pin Point Barrier Bunnies -

Now - as for the comment about less Nana and more Canalia - I like Canalia - but I think part of the nature of the character is that she doesn't talk much, she's not an extrovert - and in a show like Macross; heck - in any show - it's hard to "focus" on an introvert. But Canalia is as she is; there's not much else to show of her. She works, she's a doctor, and when she needs to - she pilots a Monster. Case closed. The girl would become interesting if she went on dates or had girlfriends to gossip with - but she doesn't. I exepct she has a husband and a nice, private, quiet life.

VFTF1

Ok, time for me to step in and show just how important Nana is as a character. Behold:

1. Who do you think kept Ranka focused on her job at the Chinese restaurant? Without Nana there, Ranka would have been fired long ago, but Nana always calmed her down and reminded her to focus on her job. Ranka would have been totally intimidated by that shrieking Chinese Chef if not for the support of Nana who was always by her side at work.

2. Do you seriously think Ranka would have stayed in the wardrobe at the Miss Macross competition if Nana hadn't given her the "you're beautiful, forget about all these boobies!" speech? Sure, Sheryl's later kind words also encourage her, but it is NANA who goes with Ranka, Nana who tells her the most encouraging words - and it is NANA - not Alto - who is in the audience up until the very end.

3. If all of the above isn't enough - Nana bravely tells Ranka that she will go to jail with her friend if they are discovered violating the Environmental Acts. She does this because she values her friends' feelings and fondness for the litttle creature that comforted her above any government regulations.

Nana has a big heart and lots of character - and people who say that she's just wallpaper are flat wrong. Wallpaper doesn't talk, it doesn't cheer you up, it doesn't worry about you when you've run away from your Big Brother and organize Micheal and Luca to search for you, wallpaper doesn't comfort you, wallpaper doesn't promise to go to jail with you, and wallpaper doesn't jump for joy when it sees you after a long time no see.

There's a reason Nana is in the show as much as she is - it's because she's a key character - a CORE character, if you will. Nana is much more important than the bridge bunnies or Pin Point Barrier Bunnies -

Now - as for the comment about less Nana and more Canalia - I like Canalia - but I think part of the nature of the character is that she doesn't talk much, she's not an extrovert - and in a show like Macross; heck - in any show - it's hard to "focus" on an introvert. But Canalia is as she is; there's not much else to show of her. She works, she's a doctor, and when she needs to - she pilots a Monster. Case closed. The girl would become interesting if she went on dates or had girlfriends to gossip with - but she doesn't. I exepct she has a husband and a nice, private, quiet life.

VFTF1

I can't believe I'm agreeing with someone who has Basara as their avatar. But there it is.

And it's a Yea for Nanase.

Yeah... my top 3 Frontier girls are Sheryl, Klan, Cathy and I'm really enjoying the latest season of Ikkitousen (Kanu ftmfw) and can't wait for Sekirei (Tsukiumi!!!). Size of her boobs have nothing to do with it, she would be just as worthless if she was flat.

Nyahahahah!!! Kanu Unchou for the win!!! :D:lol::wub: She's damn sexy. :)

I should add that after thoughtful consideration, I've come to the conclusion that Nanase would make the perfect wife.

In fact, upon reflection, she is shaped pretty much just like my girlfriend, with the one exception being that my girlfriend doesn't wear glasses, but rather has the Sheryl complex (sunglasses as hairdband) - but she does have all of Nana's personality traits: loyal, dedicated friend, reliable. This makes me wonder about Nana's faults. Also, my girlfriend doesn't have purple hair... bummer.

After all - Macross Frontier doesn't really show us anything bad about Nana. Now, you can argue that the character is two dimmensional, takes up too much screen time etc etc - but these are faults in the script and plot if anything, but not in the character. Has Nana ever done anything that angered anyone? I don't recall...really.

I wonder about this because once I realized that my girlfriend has a lot of her positive traits - I naturally started wondering whether therefore Nana has any of my girlfriend's faults?

So...do you think Nana is:

a) Paranoid

b) Pedantic

c) Shy (although this one isn't necessarily a bad thing)

d) Manic-Depressive

This isn't a multiple choice question - it's more of a "here are some bad things about my girlfriend - do you think Nana has any of these traits. And just to be clear; I think that all "bad traits" are just mirror images of what is good in us - so paranoid translates into "loves you so much that sometimes she gets a bit too jealous," "pedantic" translates into "enjoys cleaning and doing my laundry so don't complain when she asks you to tidy something up", "shy" translates into "feminine aka attractive," and manic-depressive translates into "pensive and an interesting person to talk to about life" ... it all depends on the context.

Nana hasn't really been shown in a context where she wasn't supposed to be comforting Ranka. It's almost as though nothing is going on in her life - no boyfriends, no ambitions, no worries - she's just there to worry about Ranka...

But clearly there has to be SOMETHING more to her - and if we got different context, maybe we could see different traits?

VFTF1

ps - elsewhere I wrote that my girlfriend looks like Misa Hayes - which is true; except that the correct combo would be Nanase's legs + Misa's thighs + Nanase or Misa's breast depending on the time of the month (they tend to inflate sometimes) + Misa's face/hair.... ergo my taking note of Nana in a positive "she reminds me a little of my girlfriend" way...just putting that in there to clarify :)