Macross in Japan

arrow

I'm guessing popular enough to warrant Yamato expanding what they're releasing. Going from 1/60+1/48 Valkyries, to branching out and making GN-U valkyrie figures, 1/200 scale trading figures of the valkyries in three different modes, and starting up the 1/60 scale Destroid line probably means that it's pretty popular.

The airing of Macross Frontier is probably only helping things. :)

Well my friend who lives there says most anime fans know what it is but 10x more people are into Gundam so it will never be mainstream. In Shinjuku I was known as Macross san by the staff in the Yodabashi model shop due to my Roy Spacewar 1 era hair cut. the sales assitant came over to me and proclaimed that I was Roy. Then they just called me Macross san.

Lots of shops sell Macross stuff but the usually sell all the other Mecha type stuff too. One thing to remember Robots in japan are as normal tho the populus as Football (soccer) is in the U.K. To us they are a big deal in Japan if your tv advert doesnt have a robot in it then its lame.

But as Sumdumgai says Frontier is only helping. Most people know that transforming mecha is eaither Transformers or Macross though.

Hello.

I'm a Japanese Macross fan.

I think Macross Frontier is so popular in anime fans. There are hundreds of post in Macross community in mixi (the Japanese biggest SNS) every day.

OST is selling very well too.

However, Gundam is more famous generally, to our regret .

The Gundams were originally meant to be all white as a tribute to the storm troopers in SW. However, the producers apparently wanted them to be "red, white, blue and yellow to be more American" or something like that.

Most people though don't know what Macross is in the general public. About 1 out of every 100 people i've met has every even heard of it.

Hello.

I'm a Japanese Macross fan.

I think Macross Frontier is so popular in anime fans. There are hundreds of post in Macross community in mixi (the Japanese biggest SNS) every day.

OST is selling very well too.

However, Gundam is more famous generally, to our regret .

Welcome to the board!

I've always wanted Macross to be big enough to warrent more shows, ovas, or movies. It's sad to see Macross come up only every 5-10 years from its last series.

I've always wanted Macross to be big enough to warrent more shows, ovas, or movies. It's sad to see Macross come up only every 5-10 years from its last series.

Still better than none at all.

How stale would it be if we only had the original and DYRL to talk about. We'd be probably going Gundam la la la la by now.

i seem to recall that DYRL had a movie theater premiere. don't know if that's a big thing, or if they do that often for anime. did gundam have any of that? just curious

The original gundam series was cut into 3 theatrical movies and I think Char's Counter Attack was one as well. There may be others.

i seem to recall that DYRL had a movie theater premiere. don't know if that's a big thing, or if they do that often for anime. did gundam have any of that? just curious

Yes it did I have one of the tickets from it.

I'm Japanese.

I can tell you that every male anime fan that was a kid during the 1980's knows and loves Macross. Basically my generation. If I were to rank '3 most popular anime' of my generation - it would go-

1. Space Battleship Yamato

2. Mobile Suit Gundam

3. Choujikuuyousai Macross

Interesting to note that all 3 had theatrical movies made which were extremely popular.

In regards to toys, I'd bet that every 80's kid in Japan (who are now otaku) has at least one 1/55 Takatoku/Bandai Valkyrie in their collection. Especially those of us who had parents that wouldn't/couldn't buy a chogokin for us back when.

Edited by Vifam7

I'm Japanese.

I can tell you that every male anime fan that was a kid during the 1980's knows and loves Macross. Basically my generation. If I were to rank '3 most popular anime' of my generation - it would go-

1. Space Battleship Yamato

2. Mobile Suit Gundam

3. Choujikuuyousai Macross

Interesting to note that all 3 had theatrical movies made which were extremely popular.

In regards to toys, I'd bet that every 80's kid in Japan (who are now otaku) has at least one 1/55 Takatoku/Bandai Valkyrie in their collection. Especially those of us who had parents that wouldn't/couldn't buy a chogokin for us back when.

How is the reception of the fandom over there in regards to Bandai making the Macross F toys? Are they excited, over predominantly dissapointed that Yamato doesn't have the license, like most fans over on this forum? At the same time, are they excited for the Origin of Valkyrie 1/55 reissues, or skipping those in favor of the new 1/60 VF-1?

How is the reception of the fandom over there in regards to Bandai making the Macross F toys? Are they excited, over predominantly dissapointed that Yamato doesn't have the license, like most fans over on this forum? At the same time, are they excited for the Origin of Valkyrie 1/55 reissues, or skipping those in favor of the new 1/60 VF-1?

Although I'm Japanese, I live in the states and I haven't spoken to Japanese fans lately. But I do read a good many Japanese blogs and frankly there doesn't seem to be much talk about the DX toy.

There's much more excitement/expectation about the model kit. Interestingly, fans in Japan are expecting/wanting the model kit to have transformation and MG quality. One thing I read recently that caught my eye is that some folks in Japan are saying that the sculpt of the model kit is actually handled by Hasegawa while the transformation gimmick is being handled by Bandai. I don't know if that's true and I can't find any solid proof of that info but more than one blog has mentioned this. It's most likely BS rumor though.

Edited by Vifam7

I like the transforming model more than the toy too. But the toy is cool and I will probably get it as well.

When are the japanese going to just build a robot for real that can transform into a fighter? They must have limited space surely? So it would save money having everything transform into something.

Edited by 1/1 LowViz Lurker

I like the transforming model more than the toy too. But the toy is cool and I will probably get it as well.

When are the japanese going to just build a robot for real that can transform into a fighter? They must have limited space surely? So it would save money having everything transform into something.

Probably about the same time Volkswagen deliver my new hover car :)

Seriously though I'll bet money that when we all have robots a la "I Robot" they'll all be from Japanese Manufacturers. They (Japan) will rule the technological world one day.

I did a trend search in Google.

http://www.google.co.jp/trends?q=macross%2...=ytd&sort=0

It seems that in terms of "internet search" world wide, gundam wins... <_<

When comparing the most recent series Macross Frontier VS. Gundam 00, Gundam 00 seem to have lead over Macross Frontier when both series were on. However Macross Frontier passed Gundam 00 as of mid APR 08. :rolleyes:

http://www.google.co.jp/trends?q=macross+f...=ytd&sort=0

Then again , Gundam 00 ended around that time. :wacko:

This is just in one trend search.....

zebu

Probably about the same time Volkswagen deliver my new hover car :)

Seriously though I'll bet money that when we all have robots a la "I Robot" they'll all be from Japanese Manufacturers. They (Japan) will rule the technological world one day.

It'll be from a Japanese manufacturer but the product will likely be built in China resulting in QC defects that make the robots go bonkers or fall apart. :)

My Yamato sexaroid came with a loose XXXXX!

Edited by Vifam7

I'm sure limited space plays a factor in what they want. It's one reason why they like the 1/144 scale for Gunpla.

Edited by Vifam7

It'll be from a Japanese manufacturer but the product will likely be built in China resulting in QC defects that make the robots go bonkers or fall apart. :)

My Yamato sexaroid came with a loose XXXXX!

LOL

you can imagine the world wide recall due to the hips being loose and the shoulders being cracked. Oh wait isn't that almost the plot to I Robot.

I recently got back from a 10 day trip in Japan. I had the pleasure of cruising around Tokyo for several days and frequenting the model and manga shops. Macross seems to be doing very well there. There was alot of advertisement and press for Macross Frontier, including an awesome display I saw with nearly every soundtrack CD from the original Macross all through Plus, 7, DYRL, and Frontier. You also couldn't walk into a store without hearing Cheryl singing. That or the Caramel dansen song. It never ended. It was everywhere.

That being said, I saw relatively few Macross toys for sale. As people have said before, I saw tons more Gundam. Of course I did see "some" 1/48s floating around, but not nearly as many as I would have thought. Probably a good thing too. It would have been fun to try and pack a few 1/48s for the 14 hour flight.

Well my friend who lives there says most anime fans know what it is but 10x more people are into Gundam so it will never be mainstream. In Shinjuku I was known as Macross san by the staff in the Yodabashi model shop due to my Roy Spacewar 1 era hair cut. the sales assitant came over to me and proclaimed that I was Roy. Then they just called me Macross san.

So they are impressed by your Vanilla Ice hairstyle from the 80's? :lol:

So they are impressed by your Vanilla Ice hairstyle from the 80's? :lol:

LOL

It's all gone now just a short back and sides almost military style shows my gray hair up nicely.

Now I'm just another tall Engrish guy.

• 3 weeks later...

That is cool you found a chart of comparison between Gundam and Macross. I think Gundam got popular than Macross in many countries because there are more Gundam animation than Macross animation. Hopefully, Macross Frontier will help getting more Macross fans. B))

I did a trend search in Google.

http://www.google.co.jp/trends?q=macross%2...=ytd&sort=0

It seems that in terms of "internet search" world wide, gundam wins... <_<

When comparing the most recent series Macross Frontier VS. Gundam 00, Gundam 00 seem to have lead over Macross Frontier when both series were on. However Macross Frontier passed Gundam 00 as of mid APR 08. :rolleyes:

http://www.google.co.jp/trends?q=macross+f...=ytd&sort=0

Then again , Gundam 00 ended around that time. :wacko:

This is just in one trend search.....

zebu

I'm sure limited space plays a factor in what they want. It's one reason why they like the 1/144 scale for Gunpla.

Yeah but think of it this way, the robots could do construction work like in the patlabor anime.

The other day I read an article about Lilypad cities. There is something about this that reminded me of patlabor and how they had aritifical islands. And then the robots were made to help build them. I'm thinking giant robots could be built using construction robots but the robot is also for other things like disaster relief and such. (think of how whenever the macross city inside the sdf-1 got attacked they could use the destroids to aid in picking up heavy objects and stuff to help clean up)

If say there is an earthquake, the labors could aid in carrying rubble out of the way or let's say in the future (assuming the polar caps melt and we experience global flooding) we could build artificial island like the patlabor ones. (make them high)

Or they could build an "SDF-1 for the sea". Giant submersible ship with a city inside it. All the japanese people can live inside a giant transforming sub. Holographic images are all over the insides of it to remind them of earth before the flood. (sort of like megazone 23)

Yeah but gundam has far more shows to remind you that it's still around.

Macross fans are like members of a secret society too embarassed to admit the still talk about a "20 year old robot show" Why? because it's so old! It's not hip! Nobody you know remembers it. Ahaha just admit it. You get teased by the little kids on the street, and it reminds you that you are too old to be watching these shows! :D Most people are not going to remember something they saw 20 years ago. That's a huuuge gap.

Oh and don't say macross 7 - we all know that was just a dream sequence like the one hikaru had when he was unconscious in SDF:M. He wakes up from the dream and tells misa: "I had the strangest dream about singing to whales and valkyries with faces and furry mice that were so intelligent that they could understand human language and respond to it, even technology like how to shut off the power that runs an alien prison to rescue people. Pink valkyries, Milia singing, polka dot paintschemes...strange..There were even space elves and military valkyries with boobs!"