Macross Frontier Episode 12 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 12  

250 members have voted

1. 1. Episode 12 Rating

• Positive (Zentradi! Deculture!)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Pixie Squad is the only Zentradi-love I need)

Watched it.

Surprised!

Here I thought Sheryl made this great ploy to snag Alto - and bang! Ranka gets him, saves the day AND makes an homage to Sound Force!!!

On that note - what in the world does Sheryl SEE in Alto anyways? He's clearly somewhat...err...well - cruel is the wrong word... but maybe she likes him for being that way.... Hikaru was a bit similar, but I always thought that on Hikaru's part, it was his youth and shame....Alto doesn't come across that way - he's just...cold?

All in all - a FUN episode!

VFTF1

Great episode in my opinion. Nice to see Ranka make a gigantic comeback with regards to the love triangle, although seeing Sheryl's reaction made me feel really sorry for her. I get the feeling that no matter how the love triangle turns out, I will still feel really bad for one of them. They really make you attached to the characters in this show.

Ranka's appearence and song was definitely the highlight of the episode for me, although the Macross at the end was a huge surprise. What with the next episode being called "Memory of Global", hopefully we'll get some answers. I would assume Global definitely is not alive at this point due to his age (if he is, and he hopefully is not, it will be a major WTF moment), so it'd probably be a memoir left behind by him or something similar to that. Whatever the case, next episode should hopefully provide us with tons of background info.

I'm personally a bit iffy on Zentradi looking like Breetai, Kamjin, and Exedol. I like homages, but making characters who look almost exactly like previous characters is a bit too much for me.

On that note - what in the world does Sheryl SEE in Alto anyways? He's clearly somewhat...err...well - cruel is the wrong word... but maybe she likes him for being that way.... Hikaru was a bit similar, but I always thought that on Hikaru's part, it was his youth and shame....Alto doesn't come across that way - he's just...cold?

I think she said it herself in one of the previous episodes. Alto is a person who has always treated her like a normal person, and not as the Songstress of the Galaxy. And to a lonely orphan who had no friends and no family growing up, it probably means a lot to her that someone is treating her like a normal person, perhaps almost like a friend. It's allowed her to let down her guard, take off her mask, and start acting like a normal person too. Perhaps for the first time in a very long time, she's able to feel human, after being surrounded by cyborgs most of her life.

So, in other words, Alto is just a victim of circumstance because yes, I agree, there are a lot of better guys out there.

Hot, lonely, desperate-for-attention females who end up being easy to snag for it, FTW! B))

Awesome episode! It was eerie to see the SDF-1(?) inert and moss-covered. Actually it worries me from a continuity standpoint. I mean, like everyone else I'm thinking 'what the heck is it doing here near the center of the galaxy when it should be on Earth sitting in a lake?' As long as they don't do any retconning I'm willing to accept whatever story they can cook up. However, a couple of things make worry:

• The VF-1S on top of Mihoshi Academy: it looks like the one used by Hikaru in DYRL. If it's just a monument to a hero why wouldn't they use Focker's/Ichijo's yellow-striped 'Skull Leader' 1S on top of this prestigious school instead of a 'fictional' red-striped 1S.
  • What's with the Zentradi look-alikes? When did the Zentradi start cloning former soldiers/commanders? And if they were cloning, why the heck would they clone the 'Ally-Killer' Quamzin knowing his penchant for insubordination, insurrection and indiscriminate violence?

Oh, btw, someone mentioned feeling Mac+ being channeled in this episode. What if Grace decides to take a header off the WTF-1 like Sharon's manager? Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Oh, btw, someone mentioned feeling Mac+ being channeled in this episode. What if Grace decides to take a header off the WTF-1 like Sharon's manager? Weeeeeeeeeeee!!!

Now that you mention it, I wonder if Marge was a clone of Max that had some "issues" (as in totally bat-$h1t insane). I mean I could imagine Max looking like that under the character designer of Macross Plus, and he had the same voice (as it was the same seiyuu that does Max's voice)... :ph34r:

The Macross does look like it's been there for quite a while with all the growth and stuff on it.

WTF.

Well wasn't it mentioned in one of the other series (Macross 7 maybe?) that the SDF-2 which was part of the first colonization fleet went missing towards the center of the galaxy? And isn't Frontier heading through the center of the galaxy? Seems pretty straight forward but I could be wrong.

Well wasn't it mentioned in one of the other series (Macross 7 maybe?) that the SDF-2 which was part of the first colonization fleet went missing towards the center of the galaxy? And isn't Frontier heading through the center of the galaxy? Seems pretty straight forward but I could be wrong.

I thought that too but as the subs have said this is the original our big question is just how.

I thought that too but as the subs have said this is the original our big question is just how.

Well subs can always be wrong, even writers can make mistakes.

I just find it too coincidental for it to not be the SDF-2. SDF-1 was destroyed and the Megaroad was it's "sister ship" that flew out with Minmay, Hikaru, and Misa.

Anyone knows why the skin colours of all the giant zentrans in Galia 4 are green whereas the miclone zentrans have natural skin colours ? Something to do with the miclone process ?

Magical Girl Ranka ! :)

magicalgirlranka.jpg

Edited by vanpang

I just find it too coincidental for it to not be the SDF-2. SDF-1 was destroyed and the Megaroad was it's "sister ship" that flew out with Minmay, Hikaru, and Misa.

I agree but we have to figure out why if it is the SDF-1 19 years were so hard on such a beautiful ship. If it is the Megaroads then we can have some answer on what happened to Minmay, Hikaru and Misa.

SDF-1 was detroyed? When did this happen?? Also, I don't see how it could be the SDF-2 (Megaroad-01) since it was a non transforming colony ship, essentially a city dome with engines.

SDF-1 was detroyed? When did this happen?? Also, I don't see how it could be the SDF-2 (Megaroad-01) since it was a non transforming colony ship, essentially a city dome with engines.

Still the matter of this is how the SDF-1 or a Macross class that looks identical got there. Last we saw the SDF-1 it was parked in the lake in the middle of Macross City and that was nineteen years before Frontier takes place. The way that ship looks means either that ship took a royal pounding or there is something we seeing something new a secret mission perhaps that we never knew about.

The way that ship looks means either that ship took a royal pounding or there is something we seeing something new a secret mission perhaps that we never knew about.

Does no one watch the "next episode" teaser anymore? :rolleyes:

Awesome episode! It was eerie to see the SDF-1(?) inert and moss-covered. Actually it worries me from a continuity standpoint. I mean, like everyone else I'm thinking 'what the heck is it doing here near the center of the galaxy when it should be on Earth sitting in a lake?' As long as they don't do any retconning I'm willing to accept whatever story they can cook up. However, a couple of things make worry:

• The VF-1S on top of Mihoshi Academy: it looks like the one used by Hikaru in DYRL. If it's just a monument to a hero why wouldn't they use Focker's/Ichijo's yellow-striped 'Skull Leader' 1S on top of this prestigious school instead of a 'fictional' red-striped 1S.
  • What's with the Zentradi look-alikes? When did the Zentradi start cloning former soldiers/commanders? And if they were cloning, why the heck would they clone the 'Ally-Killer' Quamzin knowing his penchant for insubordination, insurrection and indiscriminate violence?

1 - its a VF-1A (pic). maybe it just happens to be the same color. or it could be a replica in memory of the MIA Hikaru... and not forgetting most people in the Macross world will remember him by the red/black stripe coz of the "DYRL movie" bastardization... just like what Robocrap did to many people in our world... :p

2. perhaps they didn't know how to select which ones to clone, or there is no such options to select? they just push a button and the cloning machine churns out a battlion complete with a commander, an advisor, a squad leader, and all the soldiers. knowing zentradi are not experts in anything other than war. :p

This was one of those episodes that takes the series from "cruising on the straight highway" to "off-roading at a hundred miles an hour." They've either got something massive up their sleeve as far as the plot is concerned, or we're in for some Tarantino-style craziness for the next half of the season.

I'm a bit lost as to what the Zentraedi were talking about at the very beginning, though - what was the line about the Protoculture hearing the song supposed to imply? We see in the next episode preview the big ugly green crab thing, and in this one we see the underwater eyeball that shorted out Alto's VF-25, was that possibly what they were talking about?

The original Japanese is 第1世代型マクロス艦, which is literally "first-generation model Macross ship". I translated it as "A first-generation Macross" in our (gg's) sub, for better or worse. In any case, Japanese viewers are also confused about whether it's the original, a copy, or something else.

I'm a bit lost as to what the Zentraedi were talking about at the very beginning, though - what was the line about the Protoculture hearing the song supposed to imply? We see in the next episode preview the big ugly green crab thing, and in this one we see the underwater eyeball that shorted out Alto's VF-25, was that possibly what they were talking about?

I don't think so. Our translation of the opening lines:

'What is their reply?'

'The same. "Hurry up and show us this Protoculture song."'

'They also demand that we yield to them.'

Our scripts are available at http://ggkthx.org/Scripts/MacF/ if there's anything else you want to check.

Edited by creamyhorror

Actually the stuff about Macross 13 hadn't been posted before I clicked on reply... after I replied all that showed up.

Ah. Then, I apologize for accusing you of unliteracy.

Please don't step on me, Mr. Lord Breetai, sir...I'm just a little ball of fur, unworthy of your attention and ire.

Clearly in the opening lines, Ogotai and the advisor are talking about the negotiations with Temjim faction.

I'm 99% certain that the WTF-1 is indeed the SDF-1, just look at the bridge section, if you look at the lineart for the SDF-2 (Before being converted to the Megaroad), the bridge section looks really different. If the Spacy did build another Macross class ship, I bet it would have the modern, SDF-2 style bridge and not the older SDF-1 style one.

Also the WTF-1 have first generation ARMD carriers attached to it, while if it's a newer ship it should have the bigger and newer ARMDs as seen attatched to the Megaroad-1

I'm thinking the WTF-1 is there due to some sort of fold-dislocation-disturbance-something-or-other. My prediction for the next episode: We see Ranka and Alto exploring the wreckage as a sort of parallel to Misa and Hikaru exploring the PC wreckage in DRYL. They stumble upon Global's voice records and get a history lesson. Then they'll have a tea party using old dishes found in the wreckage. Next thing you know, we'll see Ranka emerge from around the corner zipping up her flight suit.

Three things:

Super. Dimension. Cinderella. :lol:

I wonder what Gloval has anything to do with the SDF-1, since there was a different captain who was at the helm during MacPlus. If they do find any records, they have to be from someone who came after him.

The next episode should be VERY interesting. Can't wait!

I think it is really Macross. And I think we have another scorched and anhilated earth.

My theory: Vajra attacked earth a long time ago, but New UN goverment hides it from the people. Also that's why President Glass act as President of all UN goverment. Macross escaped from earth but crushed at Gallia-4.

hmm..."first generation Macross ship" what's so hard to understand about it, the SDF-1 was the first battlecruiser to be crissen "Macross", The Macross; I think I read in the compendium that some Megaroad fleets encountered enemies and later fleets were assign a fleet with a variable battlecruiser as their main defense flagship, maybe the Battle 7 we see in Macross 7 is a 2nd geneation Macross ship, perhaps in Frontier, the Battle 25 is an updated version as a 3rd generatioin Macross ship, and the Quarterpounder could be a 4th generation Macross ship....

Edited by Valkyrie addict

Anyone knows why the skin colours of all the giant zentrans in Galia 4 are green whereas the miclone zentrans have natural skin colours ? Something to do with the miclone process ?

Magical Girl Ranka ! :)

magicalgirlranka.jpg

The Sparkles man, the sparkles. With the power to bring down full-grown Zentraedi. :blink: There hasn't been a sadder day for a Zentran-fan since that extra episode in Macross7, though I admit I have watched this one several times just for laughs. <_<

The SDF-1 was distroyed, in a little show called Robotech, but in Macross it should be fine(though I forget if it's dead in the VFX-game line). Are we officially calling this one the WTF-1? :lol: I think this had more to do with the Protoculture artifact, the ship suddenly showing up that is.

I wonder if Grace is really supplying bad people with personal info - maybe she has a trojan. ;)

Ok, I can't take this. Lets get everything straight here people. The SDF-1 was never destroyed, at all, never. It was damaged badly at the end of Macross but refitted and sat in that lake fine for at least 31 years up to the time of Mac+ which is the last time we saw it since it wasn't shown in Macross 7. The events in VF-X2 do have the rebel UN guys taking over the Macross but they are defeated and the Macross is fine and nothing happened to it, the ship that was destroyed in the game was the Macross 13 which is a New Macross class vessel. Completely different.

Now, hopefully everyone knows the truth about SDF-1 now. It was never destroyed unless something happened to it after the events of Mac7 (I assume they would have said if it was lost or destroyed in Mac7 so I think anything that happened was after) and before MacF. Hopefully no one will be confused now about the SDF-1 now that I've straighten this up (not much chance of that though). Now we can continue to guess why the WTF-1 is there, we just have to remember if it is the SDF-1 then something just happened after 2040 (or 2050 if you count VF-X2 like I do) to make it end up there or there is a serious retcon (I hope not). I just want everyone to know the SDF-1 was perfectly fine the last we saw it.

Ok, I can't take this. Lets get everything straight here people. The SDF-1 was never destroyed, at all, never. It was damaged badly at the end of Macross but refitted and sat in that lake fine for at least 31 years up to the time of Mac+ which is the last time we saw it since it wasn't shown in Macross 7. The events in VF-X2 do have the rebel UN guys taking over the Macross but they are defeated and the Macross is fine and nothing happened to it, the ship that was destroyed in the game was the Macross 13 which is a New Macross class vessel. Completely different.

Now, hopefully everyone knows the truth about SDF-1 now. It was never destroyed unless something happened to it after the events of Mac7 (I assume they would have said if it was lost or destroyed in Mac7 so I think anything that happened was after) and before MacF. Hopefully no one will be confused now about the SDF-1 now that I've straighten this up (not much chance of that though). Now we can continue to guess why the WTF-1 is there, we just have to remember if it is the SDF-1 then something just happened after 2040 (or 2050 if you count VF-X2 like I do) to make it end up there or there is a serious retcon (I hope not). I just want everyone to know the SDF-1 was perfectly fine the last we saw it.

THANK YOU!!

(And you might want to add that there was only one SDF-1 style Macross...unlkess they made a giant prop for DYRL, which seems...unlikely.)

Just to emphasize. The WTF-1 we see at the end of episode 12 cannot be the Megaroad-01. As a cruiser the forward section that would make up the macross cannon on the SDF-1 is fused together and hollow. It's see through and likely contains the civilian population of the colony.

THANK YOU!!

(And you might want to add that there was only one SDF-1 style Macross...unlkess they made a giant prop for DYRL, which seems...unlikely.)

Heck, they didn't make full sized props of the mecha for the Macross Zero movie, and thats totally doable.

Just to emphasize. The WTF-1 we see at the end of episode 12 cannot be the Megaroad-01. As a cruiser the forward section that would make up the macross cannon on the SDF-1 is fused together and hollow. It's see through and likely contains the civilian population of the colony.

It also doesn't transform. ^_^

THANK YOU!!

Only if you ignore the canon existence of the Megalord.... (granted it was damaged and then refitted after SW-1, but the plans still existed for a warship based on the Macross).

sdf-2_ship.gif

Keep in mind that just like every variable fighter is a "Valkyrie" type fighter, every transformable cap ship is a "Macross" type of ship in the universe...

Both are iconic symbols of the post SW1 civilization.

Edited by Zinjo