AFOS

Duke Togo

The AFOS was not sent "by" the Protoculture, they actually set foot on Earth, as such the AFOS has nothing to do with evolution per-say. From what little Kawamroi has given in interviews, it would more likely seem to be some sort of defense mechanism.

I thought Project M was started to research exactly how Minmei's singing specifically had so much effect on the Zentradi. Hence Project M

The defence mechanism idea sounds pretty good.

Edited by Anubis

My best guess is, as others have said, that the AFOS is some kind of Protoculture mecha...but I'm still wondering (as is everyone, I guess) about the blood forming Roy Waka...especially since the AFOS itself started bleeding at the end of episode 2...

Organic mecha is always possible.

The Evil "were" the Prototypes!

The whole "leave miclones alone" schtick was to prevent Zentradi from attacking Protoculture, or Protoculture influenced worlds. When contradictery orders were given so that the Zentradi could freely attack the Supervision Army (comprised of brainwashed Protoculture), the previous order was nullified. When the Protodevilin were finally put away, and the Protoculture decided that they wanted to reclamate the Zentradi into normal "culture," the Zentradi saw that as a threat, and used their new "free to attack miclone Supervison Army," as a free for all to attack anyone who threatened them.

As such, we have the end of the Protoculture.

Project M was indeed a project to replicate Minmay's effects.

Edited by Keith

The whole "leave miclones alone" schtick was to prevent Zentradi from attacking Protoculture, or Protoculture influenced worlds. When contradictery orders were given so that the Zentradi could freely attack the Supervision Army (comprised of brainwashed Protoculture), the previous order was nullified. When the Protodevilin were finally put away, and the Protoculture decided that they wanted to reclamate the Zentradi into normal "culture," the Zentradi saw that as a threat, and used their new "free to attack miclone Supervison Army," as a free for all to attack anyone who threatened them.

As such, we have the end of the Protoculture.

You said it yourself that AFOS might be some sort of defensive mechanism. My point was there might be more to the whole "leave the miclones alone" now. The continuity keeps changing, who is to say? And you are assuming that Protoculture = miclones, which I don't think it does anymore.

"Leave the miclones alone" may now mean more than just that the Prorotculture didn't want them to interfere. It might mean that the miclones were thought to be well defended and/or dangerous. Creatures like the AFOS could be the reason behind that.

The AFOS was not sent "by" the Protoculture, they actually set foot on Earth, as such the AFOS has nothing to do with evolution per-say. From what little Kawamroi has given in interviews, it would more likely seem to be some sort of defense mechanism.

Either that, or some kind of "destroy the evidence" failsafe. From Sara's visions, were given to assume that at some point, the AFOS is going to "wake up" and go on a destructive rampage. If AFOS were purely a defensive unit, and it was supposed to protect the Protoculture's experiment (if it was to protect the Protoculture themselves, they wouldn't leave it behind), you'd have to wonder why it goes nuts on them later.

Here's something to ponder, though. If the Protoculture landed on Earth and made humans a sub-Protoculture race... and did the same thing to the Zolans on Zola... did they also leave an AFOS somewhere on Zola?

Either that, or some kind of "destroy the evidence" failsafe. From Sara's visions, were given to assume that at some point, the AFOS is going to "wake up" and go on a destructive rampage. If AFOS were purely a defensive unit, and it was supposed to protect the Protoculture's experiment (if it was to protect the Protoculture themselves, they wouldn't leave it behind), you'd have to wonder why it goes nuts on them later.

Here's something to ponder, though. If the Protoculture landed on Earth and made humans a sub-Protoculture race... and did the same thing to the Zolans on Zola... did they also leave an AFOS somewhere on Zola?

probably , it depends on the date when Zola was colonized and the political situation of the Intergalactic republic

What I´m sure of is that the AFOS was closely involved in the genetic alteration of the early humans and that the bird people refer to it ; now , if the AFOS is an automated mecha , a suit or a tool , that´s still to be clarified :)

The AFOS had nothing to do with genetic altering, it's purely mecha (bio-mecha or otherwise). While it does appear to be a failsafe, most likely it's so in the effect that humans turned out to be "too" destructive, who knows.

To the people who say there were only seven protodeviln (and yes, this IS the correct spelling, I before L, hence "DEVIL", and thus "EVIL").... True, but that doesn't mean that there were only seven Evil units. There could have been more that didn't get posessed and the possibility is there that the AIPHOS or AIFOS or whatever is one of those. Just the same as how I used to think (and still do, actually) that the Natter-Valgo was just a Valgo-type Evil series unit which the Protodeviln used for a bit in The Galaxy is Calling Me. It wasn't possessed.

The AFOS had nothing to do with genetic altering, it's purely mecha (bio-mecha or otherwise). While it does appear to be a failsafe, most likely it's so in the effect that humans turned out to be "too" destructive, who knows.

Unless you´ve seen the entire OVA series already , I don´t know how you can say with such confidence that the AFOS was not involved in the genetic alteration of humans. there´s no doubt it was the Protculture who controled all this process but I seriously doubt they altered our genetic structure with their bare hands , they had to use some artifact , and as we can see in the OVA there´s a clear refference/image of the bird-people (probably some AFOSs ) with the two ¨coiled up snakes¨ (i.e. DNA ) connected to their tails and to a human figure. ;)

To the people who say there were only seven protodeviln (and yes, this IS the correct spelling, I before L, hence "DEVIL", and thus "EVIL").... True, but that doesn't mean that there were only seven Evil units. There could have been more that didn't get posessed and the possibility is there that the AIPHOS or AIFOS or whatever is one of those. Just the same as how I used to think (and still do, actually) that the Natter-Valgo was just a Valgo-type Evil series unit which the Protodeviln used for a bit in The Galaxy is Calling Me. It wasn't possessed.

Actually ,it is specified that there were only 7 Evil prototypes , that eventually were possesed by Protodeviln , so no there aren´t any other Evil prototypes left. Besides , in Ep.2 of M0 it was shown that the AFOS didn´t posses any sort of superdimensional organ , just a space/time folding system (like the ASS-1).

now , here´s the real questions stablished in M0 ... If the protoculture left this wrecked AFOS in earth , who would´ve attacked it ? why wouldn´t the protoculture take it away with them on their way out of earth ? and why does it appear hostile towards the natives ? I don´t know about you but I think it´s fairly obvious that there was some sort of conflict that we don´t know about ...yet.

Edited by Aegis!

So what were the prototypes to the Evil series? They can fly at the speed of light or better, can fold with out ships, and can destroy entire fleets by themselves. And those are the human sized ones. The bigger ones can destroy planets. There had to be a step between the giant human Zentraedi and the living ship Evil Series. Maybe this thing is it? Maybe it was destoyed in the war and crashed or maybe it was assigned to protect the Protoculture's experiment? Maybe that's why the crew of the ASS (why ASS???) was trying to get to earth? For reinforcements but they died on the way? Maybe after eons it ran out of power and died? We won't know until all of M0 is shown. And probably not even then.

Maybe that's why the crew of the ASS (why ASS???) was trying to get to earth? For reinforcements but they died on the way? Maybe after eons it ran out of power and died? We won't know until all of M0 is shown. And probably not even then.

Well as Keith said, the Evil WERE the prototypes. Still an intermediary test "mecha" or two could be interesting, but the AFOS/AIPHOS was probably something else, though also also probably not "conventional" (by Protoculture terms)... still with what we have to go on so far, that's as good a theory as anybody... I just expect Kawamori has something else up his sleeve.

The crew of the ASS is an interesting subject. It's supposed to be a Supervision Army gunship right? Just a coincidence that it headed to Earth? Or is there enough room for them to have been up to something? Aside from Zor coming back to Earth? <_<

• 3 weeks later...

From reading a lot of replies in this thread, I can see I'm missing out on a lot. Maybe I should check out M7 just to get more of the story. :/ 2 more days or so till Episode 3 comes out, according to http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/dbeat/magazi...ss/release.html. I'm still not sure what to think of the AFOS.

From reading a lot of replies in this thread, I can see I'm missing out on a lot. Maybe I should check out M7 just to get more of the story. :/ 2 more days or so till Episode 3 comes out, according to http://www.bandaivisual.co.jp/dbeat/magazi...ss/release.html. I'm still not sure what to think of the AFOS.

I've found Macross 7 to be a lot better than I thought it would be. I cheated myself out of it all this time. It has a huge chunk of the Macross story, so we have to see it.