AFOS

Duke Togo

Finally got around to watching Macross Zero Episode 2 (gotta love ffdshow!), and I couldn't help but think looking at "AFOS" that is was a Protodeviln. Reminds me of Natter-Balgo/Valgo combo from M7: The Galaxy Is Calling Me. The thing on/in its chest, the wings, Gavil as its head... got to thinking about that Mayan legend deal, with the being coming from the AFOS's head.

I dunno, maybe this has been done/said before, I don't read here as much as I used to. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say about this.

Well both the AFOS and the Protodevelin were built by the Protoculture, it's not surprising that they'd be stylistically similar, while not necesarily being directly related.

Well both the AFOS and the Protodevelin were built by the Protoculture, it's not surprising that they'd be stylistically similar, while not necesarily being directly related.

So the odds of seeing a fossil SoundForce fighter are pretty slim?

Watch Episode 2 and The Galaxy is Calling Me back to back, and you'll see exactly what I mean. That thing in its chest is WAY too big of a coincidence. Its clear as day in The Galaxy Is Calling Me.

does anyone have pics on the macross 7 thing duke is talking about?

I've never had a problem with the Protodevlin, only the character designs of some of them. There's no such issue with the AFOS. I'd certainly have no problem if it was related to the Protodevlin or the eVil series , but I doubt this is the case if it has more to do with the Protoculture themselves.

Of course, maybe the Protoculture that came to Earth were wiped out by this Protodevlin, which they managed to destroy before it could finish the job and destroy all life on Earth.

Yeah I don't know it could be protodevilin related, then again it could just be a humanoid looking ruin. They did also mention something in the second episode about it having a fold system. But there is also kindof a spiritia tie in with Sara's singing at the end of the second episode, and pulling an E.T. with the flowers. So if you look at it from a technical perspective, I don't believe Protodevilin have fold systems inside of them in which case it's a protoculture ship or something. However if you look at the possible Mac 7 tie in it could be a protodevilin.

I think it could go either way folks.

this has been debated at length previously. While the AIPHOS certainly bears a resemblance to protodevlin, and there is little to no doubt that it is somehow connected to the supervision army, I have a lingering doubt that it's not so easilly classified. I guess we'll see when the time comes.

I've never had a problem with the Protodevlin, only the character designs of some of them. There's no such issue with the AFOS. I'd certainly have no problem if it was related to the Protodevlin or the eVil series , but I doubt this is the case if it has more to do with the Protoculture themselves.

Of course, maybe the Protoculture that came to Earth were wiped out by this Protodevlin, which they managed to destroy before it could finish the job and destroy all life on Earth.

If I recall, according to Mayan lore, the head becomes the wife of the first human, before returning to space at some point. Following the design in The Galaxy Is Calling Me, this would be no different than Gavil seperating from the beast (which would then die) and living on Earth. The Protodeviln in this case could have fallen for this *singing* earth creature (song is already been shown to have a strong supernatural influence in Zero), much as we see them turn in Macross 7 because of the power of song.

Gotta be Protodeviln.

From the Macross Compendium:

PC 2870

A Protoculture survey ship stops temporarily on "Earth." By genetically reconstructing the native life, it plots the emergence of a sub-Protoculture adapted to the planetary enivronment, "Humankind," to prepare for future colonization. During its return to its home planet, the survey ship is destroyed by military ships opposed to the Stellar Republic. Records of Earth and Humankind are eventually lost.

This is Pre-Protodeviln. Though, this really changes little, as the AFOS could have visited Earth later on, while the native life was still "evolving" along the path it was pushed too by Protoculture.

Huh? The Protodevlin in Galaxy is Calling Me were Glavil and Guravil, weren't they? Valgo was the guy who had the little pink "minion" critters come out of him didn't he?

But I was thinking exactly of Protodevlin during episode one. And well... we all know the obvious comparisons to Sara singing. ;)

But whether the AFOS is Protodevlin or not... their records in M7 indicated only 7 Evil series were complete, didn't they? But yeah obvious similarities would exist due to the Protoculture origins... maybe it's a prototype or something? Or an earlier idea just not powered by the other dimension or what not...

The AIFOS isn't protodevilin, it still appears to be more towards the mecha side than the biological side.

Just as Natter-Valgo wasn't Protodevilin (from GICM) it was just a piece of Mecha for Gabil to use as an assisting unit.

It betcha that APHIOS is the protoculture thing that planted the retro-viruses into things that caused stuff to evolve. It just happened that humanity just revolted against it and killed it. Its some sort of cousin of the protodevlin.

It betcha that APHIOS is the protoculture thing that planted the retro-viruses into things that caused stuff to evolve. It just happened that humanity just revolted against it and killed it. Its some sort of cousin of the protodevlin.

The Protodevilin are inter-dimensional beings comprised of energy, they don't "look" like anything, they wouldn't be on Earth, and even if they were on Earth, they wouldn't be dormant with Spiritia flowing on an island right freakin' above them! It isn't a Protodevilin, end of story!

It's not even an Evil, as it's not "biological" enough to be, it's just some leftover Protoculture tool/weapon. The Protoculture themselves came to visit Earth, leaving it behind, then left (hence the leaving). There's no way the fish people, nor protoculture evolved humans could have done a lick of damage to anything the Protoculture made, so that's right out too. Most likely, it just rotted over the years under the ocean.

I'm siding with justvinnie and Keith on this one...only seven Protodeviln were ever released in this universe, and all of them are still sealed on Varauta at the time of M0.

My best guess is, as others have said, that the AFOS is some kind of Protoculture mecha...but I'm still wondering (as is everyone, I guess) about the blood forming Roy Waka...especially since the AFOS itself started bleeding at the end of episode 2...

It's entirely possible for the protoculture to have somebiomechanical attributes in their ships. We've never seen anything from them other than ruins so this is new territory. I will wait and see, but I don't think its a protodevlin or derivative.

From what I can gather I would assume that the AFOS is some kind of artifact/mecha used by the protoculture to alter the pace at which the early humans evolved , the only odd thing here is why would the protoculture make an entire mecha for the sake of making chimps evolve , I mean , they could´ve just made some kind of stationay machine ..mmm..maybe the AFOS is a multi-purpose protoculture mecha they just sent to Earth instead of coming here themselves and do the dirty work , I mean , they did the same with the Zentrans for war , why wouldn´t they make specialized mecha for altering native life-forms for colonization ?

so maybe , just like the Zentradis were sent by the protoculture for fighting their wars , the protoculture sent this ¨AFOS¨ for colonizing other planets instead of themselves ; that would certainly explain all the bird-people thingy and the AFOS involvement in human evolution , i.e. either the bird-people were the AFOS artifact and not the protoculture themselves or they were personal mecha/spacecraft that were used by the protoculture to infect early humans and the AFOS was one of the suvivors of the protoculture wreck :)

Macross Zero is WAY to adult-targeted to include the stupidity of the Homodevlin. cussing.gif Just from a marketing perspective affiliating the two shows wouldn't be feasable or possible.

post-2-1064437144.gif

Watch Episode 2 and The Galaxy is Calling Me back to back, and you'll see exactly what I mean. That thing in its chest is WAY too big of a coincidence. Its clear as day in The Galaxy Is Calling Me.

Actually, the thing in the chest, when seen from near (at the end of ep. 2), does suspiciously resemble Escaflowne's energists. The whole birdman thing recalls Escaflowne, and even Shin as a character recalls Van.

At the same time there seems to be some connections with Arjuna and Macross 7. I view Macross Zero as a symbolic sum of Kawamori's works.

FV

Just from a marketing perspective affiliating the two shows wouldn't be feasable or possible.

They already have with the Anima Spiritia portions. All those flowers and such moving in response to Sara's song... And that was joined at the hip with the Protodevlin in M7...

Symbolic sum of the works? That sounds possible, but I think there might also be an in-story reason why this is a prequel... and given the spiritia connection, it's definately gonna be along M7's lines...

Just from a marketing perspective affiliating the two shows wouldn't be feasable or possible.

They already have with the Anima Spiritia portions. All those flowers and such moving in response to Sara's song... And that was joined at the hip with the Protodevlin in M7...

Symbolic sum of the works? That sounds possible, but I think there might also be an in-story reason why this is a prequel... and given the spiritia connection, it's definately gonna be along M7's lines...

Allong M7 lines (involving song energy) is a whole lot different than having the Homodevlin flying around. There will be no evil space monsters in M7.

Allong M7 lines (involving song energy) is a whole lot different than having the Homodevlin flying around. There will be no evil space monsters in M0

Already half way there. :lol: You wanna lay odds whether Project M begins at this point or not? ;)

Allong M7 lines (involving song energy) is a whole lot different than having the Homodevlin flying around.  There will be no evil space monsters in M0

Already half way there. :lol: You wanna lay odds whether Project M begins at this point or not? ;)

Sure.