Favourite Variable Fighter

What's your favourite variable fighter?  

179 members have voted

1. 1. Note: Read my post for my choice of poll option.

• VF-0 "Pheonix"
    • SV-51
    • VF-1 "Valkyrie"
    • VF-4 "Lighting III"
    • VF-11 "Thunderbolt"
    • VF-17 "Nightmare"/ VF-171
    • YF-19 "Alpha One"/ VF-19 "Excalibur"
    • YF-21 "Omega One"/ VF-22 "Sturmvogel II"
    • Az-130A "Panzerzorene"
    • FBz-99G "Saubergeran"
    • Fz-109 "Elgerzorene"
    • VB-06 "Konig Monster"
    • VF-25 "Messiah"
    • VF-27
    • Others (Please mention them in your post)
    • I don't care! I love all Valkryie!
    • No, I HATE THEM! Queadluun-Rau and Regult owns them all!

Hey, it's been my desire to find out the favourite Variable Fighter of my fellow MW forum friends, so here's a poll to decide the answer to my question once and for all! :)

A note about the poll option:

I only included those Variable Fighter that appear in the animated series that has involvement by our great Shoji Kawamori, so there's no option for, as example, VF-5000 "Star Mirage" or VF-2SS "Valkyrie II", and those Valk goes into "Others" option. Also, in cases like YF-19/VF-19, since VF-19 are derived from the prototype YF-19, so I merge them into one option as they share similiar build. But if you have preferable variation, such as you like YF-21 more than VF-22, you can always stats that in your post. :)

EDIT: BTW, I forget to put VF-5000, VA-3 and VF-14 into the poll option, which is my fault for being careless. :p So for those who which to vote for them, you can choose the 'Other' option.

Damn, I wish there's an edit button for the poll...

Edited by Sulendil Ang

I love the VF-4 Lightning for several reasons. First, just love the design. In comparison to the VF-1, the nose is about the same, the rest is just different enough to be intriguing. Second, every time I see a picture of it, I think of the song "Angel's Paints," which I love. And third, it makes me think of the original characters 'riding off into the sunset' at the end of Flashback 2012. To me it was like watching childhood friends (not to mention a cherished part of my childhood itself) leave and knowing they were never coming back.

AFAIK, the VF-5000G "Star Mirage" and VA-3C Invader were animated in Dynamite 7. Also, the VF-14, albeit an early version of the design (not the finalized one shown in M3) was shown in the Macross 7 P*L*U*S epside "Spiritia Dreaming."

As for favorites, nothing like a classic VF-1A in DYRL Hikky colours.

Edited by d3v

AFAIK, the VF-5000G "Star Mirage" and VA-3C Invader were animated in Dynamite 7. Also, the Vf-14, albeit an early version of the design (not the finalized one shown in M3) was shown in the Macross 7 P*L*U*S epside "Spiritia Dreaming."

As for favorites, nothing like a classic VF-1A in DYRL Hikky colours.

Yeah, you're right, d3v. I'm a careless person, so thanks for the reminder. :)

As for myself, I always loves the YF-19. VF-11 and YF-21 are the close seconds.

Here are some screenshots of the VF-5000G and VA-3C if anyone's interested.

post-8290-1214128535_thumb.jpgpost-8290-1214128540_thumb.jpg

This is probably the only time we'll ever see these 2 animated, unless they're included in All That Valkyrie (and I hope that SK an co. do prove me wrong).

Out of topic, seeing the Patrol spec VF-5000 and VF-19 makes me wish for a series based on the Patrol, kinda like Patlabor but set in the Macross universe.

Edited by d3v

Here are some screenshots of the VF-5000G and VA-3C if anyone's interested.

post-8290-1214128535_thumb.jpgpost-8290-1214128540_thumb.jpg

This is probably the only time we'll ever see these 2 animated, unless they're included in All That Valkyrie (and I hope that SK an co. do prove me wrong).

Out of topic, seeing the Patrol spec VF-5000 and VF-19 makes me wish for a series based on the Patrol, kinda like Patlabor but set in the Macross universe.

ah? where did they make those apprearances?

I find the Kawamori Valkyries offer plenty to appreciate compared to most mecha. I think the intricacies of the transformations and the way they can be appreciated as both mecha and aircraft makes them quite unique. I think the VF-1 Valkyrie still sits atop my list, as it seems to be a design with which I'm rarely bored and I always come back to the VF-1 finding I still appreciate it time and time again. My top three are:

1- VF-1J Valkyrie (includes Super and Armored variants)

2- YF-19/VF-19A Excalibur only

3- YF-21/VF-22S Sturmvogel II

I think the VF-25S Messiah (especially the Full Armor and Super variants) have taken up the next spot. The VF-25 has greatly impressed me and I love the variations they made for the design, like the "G" and "RVF". The transformable Full Armor pack is also a favorite of mine, as I have always loved armored variants of my favorite mecha (like the original Armor Valkyrie and the Full Armor Gundam Alex). I think I can say the VF-25 Messiah has displaced the other runner up Valkyries like the VF-11 Thunderbolt and VF-17 Nightmare.

Voted VF-11. IMO it's the perfect hybrid between the YF-21 and YF-19.

Wings come from the YF-21.

Rear jet engine parts on top of fuselage come from the YF-21.

In fighter mode the part behind the cockpit comes from the Y-21.

Legs come from YF-19.

Shield comes from the YF-19.

Canards come from the YF-19.

It's just sexay!!

VF-11 is still my overall favorite. It's the first valkyrie we see being used to kick @$$ since the VF-1. I love the design in all three modes, and I love the canards on it that become part of the upper torso in battroid mode. It looks cool that way. Plus, despite the designations, it still has the classic cyclops eye head. It looks good with fast packs too.

Runners up:

2nd+3rd: tie between YF-19/VF-19A and YF-21/VF-22

4th: VF-25

5th: VF-4

6th+7th: tie between VF-1 and VF-0

I'm going to keep voting VF-4 until Yamato gets it through their thick skulls that a 1/60 would be EATEN up by the fans.

Don't make me wait until I'm in my 40's guys. ARGH. Graham? We all know it'd be a BIG SELLER.

I gotta say the VF-1 was and still is my all time favourite. I used to also really love the YF-19 design but I don't as much I used to. The VF-9 was also one of my favourites (got a thing for those forward swept wings) even though I never saw much of it (that's probably part of the reason). And I guess the VF-25 and VF-171 round out my top 5.

For other mecha I really like the Variable Glaug and Konig Monster (don't consider this a VF).

I'm surprised you didn't include the VF-14 "Vampire" in the poll. Is an official craft. Is very well designed and appeared both in the Macross M3 game and Macross 7.

It also resembles my favorite plane of all time, the SR-71 (Jetfire in Transformers 2)...

Yeah I mentioned that as well, the 14's were originally seen in Macross 7 P*L*U*S in "Spiritia Dreaming."

Although the pics of the VF-5000 and VA-3 probably made people miss me mentioning that.

The problem with the Macross 2 Valkyries is that while they are some of the nicer things to come out of Koichi Ohata's brain (the not so nice things being MD Geist) they're kind of an anomaly with the established tradition set down by the VF-1 and VF-4 of having fighter forms somewhat grounded in reality or at least realistic aesthetics. I hate to say this, but they're almost Star Trek TNG in their looks with the curvey "futuristic" curves without any real functionality. The VF-2JA is particularly puzzling because despite being the atmospheric Valkyrie, it looks like a low polygon VF-1J. And the gunpods look like phaser rifles and not, well, guns.

I love them all, but if I have to pick a top 4...

4th goes to the sv-51. - it was easily more than a match for the vf-0 - hell it was designed primarily to kill other variable fighters and whatever else it came across... just look at it's tactical versatility! those things enabled their pilots to employ tactics that no valk has used *ever* to my knowledge. The main reason that it is in 4th place for me is that there is no way to know how it would have fared had the 0 had its fusion turbines instead of the old school jets.

3rd place goes to the VF-0/1 - I really dont consider the 0 and 1 as being unique designs... more like the 0 was the prototype for the 1, pushed into service early due to the appearance of the sv-51 on the battlefield, and hampered somewhat by the lack of the 1st gen fusion turbines.

2nd place is reserved for the VF-25. 'aint nothin like the latest version of the old skool.

and the winner is...

the YF-19/ VF-19A. I don't care one whit for any of its' other production variants or one offs like the kai. this:

c0039801_481c21af0181c.jpg

is the ultimate pilot's machine. (sorry I used the pen- prefix before... must have heard the word used in the wrong way somewhere - probably some news channel or something)

Edited by Shaka_Z

My personal favourite valk is the VF-XX from Macross II, I like it slim yet aggressive design, too bad it appear doesn't have any gerwalk mode (official one).

VF-2SSAP is another favorite design. :rolleyes:

the YF-19/ VF-19A. I don't care one whit for any of its' other production variants or one offs like the kai. this:

c0039801_481c21af0181c.jpg

is the penultimate pilot's machine.

The forward swept wings of that airframe always did interest me. Made me wonder though if it means that even in the 2040s, most dogfights still occurred at subsonic speeds with the 19 pushing it by being able to effectively dogfight at higher transonic speeds where it's FSW would give it the most advantage.

Edited by d3v

is the penultimate pilot's machine.

If that's the penultimate machine, then what's the ultimate one...? :ph34r:

Edited by Gubaba

If that's the penultimate machine, then what's the ultimate one...? :ph34r:

The YF-21, of course!

:p

What can I say? Between the QRau styling of the battroid and the forward-looking technology, it's just awesome.

That and the fighter mode looks positively deadly.

(I've come to the conclusion I just don't like how forward-swept wings look. I demand the VF-171 be given a chance to shine in Frontier!)