Yamato 1/60 VF-11b under development

The tail fins actually look fine in that comparo shot. Can anyone deduce if the VF-11 has been signifcantly upped in size? Looks slightly bigger than a VF-1.

And it's sitting on it's rear bay doors with wheels extended. Seriously, the bay is twice as long as that wheel. Why Yamato why??

Edited by DarkReaper

got mine preordered a while back. very nice and expensive at the same time. anyone think the canopy will get scratched up over time by the heat shield sliding up and down or there will be enough clearance?

The heat shield looks awesome, Yamato already gets high points for that redesign!!

Also I see they borrowed some VF-0 ideas with the leg armor shields, nice touch!!!

Edited by 505thAirborne

Looks cool. Personally I love the "dish soap" effect on the canopy. Looks reminiscent of contemporary canopys on jets like the F-16.

Would like larger tail fins but I think I could live with it. Now I just have to recover from the YF-21 I bought that is supposed to show up today.

Edited by logos

Just FYI, the VF-11 does have short rear landing gear, as valks go.

As for bay/gear size---I'd assume it's the same reason as the last toy--the tailfin gets in the way in battroid mode. The bay is twice as long as the gear---but note that the half of the bay where the gear isn't, is half as deep--presumably to allow the tailfin to fold in closer there or something. The front half of the bay only exists to have an anime-accurate forward door there, not to allow for larger gear. The bay would have to be deepened there to fit a longer gear strut, and then the tailfins wouldn't fit inside. (they don't fit as it is---they only fold like 95% away, leaving a bit hanging outside--but it's obviously worth it as it lets them be like 2mm bigger)

AMAZING!!! I'm so glad that I pre-ordered it now. The last picture also shows it quite a bit smaller than the YF-19/YF-21--- has the size been retconned back down again? I just hope its not fragile!

I'm also glad that they were able to retain the VG wings from the 1/72!!

Edited by edwin3060

Meh, I just like the idea of folding landing gears. Conserves space; more room for internal missiles :)

Every valk ever has been designed that way---it just took until recently for a toy company to engineer them to match the line-art. (and quite few real fighters do it too)

As for VG wings---it's part of the transformation, it kind of HAS to have them. :)

Every valk ever has been designed that way---it just took until recently for a toy company to engineer them to match the line-art. (and quite few real fighters do it too)

Anything that makes it more line-art accurate is a plus. Basically a law around here. I hope they start doing every other valk this way too... and even 2nd/3rd editions. Even though the toys don't have weapon bays, its just cool to think about potentially having the space XD

Well, really it's only done to make skinnier fighter modes. The new YF-21 especially would be a lot fatter or just plain wrong without the folding gear. (the YF-19 doesn't need it at all, so no toy will likely ever do it, even though the line-art says it should)

Just FYI, the VF-11 does have short rear landing gear, as valks go.

As for bay/gear size---I'd assume it's the same reason as the last toy--the tailfin gets in the way in battroid mode. The bay is twice as long as the gear---but note that the half of the bay where the gear isn't, is half as deep--presumably to allow the tailfin to fold in closer there or something. The front half of the bay only exists to have an anime-accurate forward door there, not to allow for larger gear. The bay would have to be deepened there to fit a longer gear strut, and then the tailfins wouldn't fit inside. (they don't fit as it is---they only fold like 95% away, leaving a bit hanging outside--but it's obviously worth it as it lets them be like 2mm bigger)

the real gears are small, but the toy ones still look a little dinky, not as bad as the DX but still not great. I'm more worried about whether the rear gears will lock in the down position, I really hate how the YF-21's rear gears tend to collapse if you try to role it backwards.

I think the length of the bay is making the size of the landing gear look worse than it is. looking at the line art, it seems like it should be shorter. I think they should have connected the gears closer to the front door and reduced the length of the rear door. (they might have had room for more tail fin that way.

vf-11b-landinggear.gif

Well, really it's only done to make skinnier fighter modes. The new YF-21 especially would be a lot fatter or just plain wrong without the folding gear. (the YF-19 doesn't need it at all, so no toy will likely ever do it, even though the line-art says it should)

you know, I've never seen line art of the YF-19's landing Gear. the only line art I can find is for the VF-19 fire valk.