Yamato 1/60 VF-11b under development

I see COMPROMISES in all modes... in other words: balance. Freaking great! Don't get me wrong, the YF-21 fighter is great but the robot modes is very very VERY disappointing. I'm with the YF-19 "looks better as a complete package" camp.

This time Yamato has opted for a more balanced look and I really like what I see. Nothing is "perfect" but none of it is "meh" either.

Yamato should really reinvent the Macross GN-U line into a partsforming/swapforming line (they don't have the full GN-U skeleton anyways). That way we could get line art accurate valks in both modes as well as balanced perfect transforming valks.

like I said numerous times in the DX thread...if Yamato had made the DX we would be in front of yamato HQs with torches and pitch forks ready to run them out of town.

Well, the thing isn't line art accurate in any mode either and so far nobody is yelling "this sucks ass" or "cancel order now"; just the very civil "well, tail fins are short". Nice to see a more normal thread (sometimes it is better not to read the DX one :wacko: ) :)

Graham, the cat is out of the bag; show us your better pics!!

The only thing I will say, as I've previously stated, is that the tailfins blow. The point of doing a v.2 of something is to IMPROVE on the previous design. And those fins look like they haven't even been touched or thought of.

Actually, even though they're still tiny, they've grown by maybe 50% over the 1/72, and the placement is much better. On the old one, the tails weren't even as large as the outer part of the canards, and didn't quite reach above the top of the engine. You can't really see them from the front at all. The new ones look to be mounted at a slightly different angle, and are much higher in relation to the wing, so they stretch a good deal more into the airstream than the old ones. They're nowhere near perfect, but they did improve them.

Edited by Chronocidal

it is a macross plus valk ... so anime magic everywhere

the result of yamato design is great IMO

there is no gaps by the way :lol:

I love the battroid mode !

I can live with small tailfins.... it will be display in space combat configuration

I do hope we will have more panel lines on it and hope it will come with a darker grey .. it is the flash and lightening effects ??

At the moment I will get 1

it rocks !

I want new pics

And if it looks better I will get a sqadron :p

Edited by Ghostkiller

Ok I gotta say that after looking at it more, I really do like it. The issues we all see I can live with since after all this Valk was designed without CAD and such like what was done with M0 and MF so its look does change depending on who was drawing it at the time. Still would have prefered a more rounded look around the legs and the upper intakes though.

Chris

yes VF-5000

How much time passed between when the YF-21 pics were first released and the toy was released? I’m guessing that would be a good way of estimating when we could expect these to ship.

And I will most certainly be getting one of these. The 19 and the 11 are my favorite. I’m in heaven

Oh my God!!! That thing is just AWEFUL!! I mean - look at it!! That's just such laziness! The aft thruster is vertically perpendicular to the modular landing gyro-structure at the .0046 angle! It's frickin' obvious to anyone who has watched the opening sequence of Macross Plus in VV4 HF micro-resolution quant scale! The line art VISIBLY AND CLEARLY SHOWS THIS!! What kind of morons do they have working on this!? Why didn't Yamato notice MY GENIUS and hire me to do this!? Ahh! The sky is falling! Besides - the color is all wrong! The teal grey lemony blue mixes with a dab of sunflower yellow on the right side of the projector! Now - MOST PEOPLE do indeed think that the color is actually maroon brown there - BUT - if you watch CAREFULLY - you will see that this is the result of the sun SETTING! So of course the coloring on the anime represents and lighter/darker color combination - but it is not the ACTUAL color of the JET!!! Is there no decency anymore! Where is the outrage?!!?!?

I want my money back!

Pete

Hmm...Battroid looks abit chunky and the fightermode aren't as sleek as it should be but overal its not bad.

Thats what I thought too but there not the stupid chicken hands if you look at them for a few different angles they look like an MG gundam hand.

Oh my God!!! That thing is just AWEFUL!! I mean - look at it!! That's just such laziness! The aft thruster is vertically perpendicular to the modular landing gyro-structure at the .0046 angle! It's frickin' obvious to anyone who has watched the opening sequence of Macross Plus in VV4 HF micro-resolution quant scale! The line art VISIBLY AND CLEARLY SHOWS THIS!! What kind of morons do they have working on this!? Why didn't Yamato notice MY GENIUS and hire me to do this!? Ahh! The sky is falling! Besides - the color is all wrong! The teal grey lemony blue mixes with a dab of sunflower yellow on the right side of the projector! Now - MOST PEOPLE do indeed think that the color is actually maroon brown there - BUT - if you watch CAREFULLY - you will see that this is the result of the sun SETTING! So of course the coloring on the anime represents and lighter/darker color combination - but it is not the ACTUAL color of the JET!!! Is there no decency anymore! Where is the outrage?!!?!?

I want my money back!

Pete

As usual, the meta-complainers blow the moderate criticisms out of all proportion. :lol:

Well I answered my own question, thought some of you would like to know though.

We saw the first scans of the YF-21 on July 24th 2007

We started to receive them May 29th 2008.

Looks like a 10 month gestation period before we can get our hands on a VF-11 if the 21’s timeline is similar. :(

Anyone have more optimistic news than that?

We don't have G-Man's input this time round Squid.

Are you saying there may be less time between when we saw the first pics and when it’s released because the G man got the scans to us earlier on the 21? That would be good news I suppose.

I just went back and checked. It looks like we got scans of the 21 that look like the ones of the 11 in this thread on November 22nd 2007. Now if that is more representative of the current gestation period then it will be about 6 months before the 11 hits the streets.

Edited by sqidd

Thats what I thought too but there not the stupid chicken hands if you look at them for a few different angles they look like an MG gundam hand.

no, they look like the YF-19's chicken hands, in fact I think they ARE the YF-19's chicken hands.

it looks like they'll have the pegs for gripping the gunpod, but they're still rather lame. (Why couldn't they have done nice hands like the one's on the YF-21)

Been looking at the pics versus the lineart a lot. I think they did alright. I'd rather the cockpit be a nice size, rather than be cramped and tiny to make battroid look good. Also glad the nose isn't longer, or we'd have a needle-dick battroid on our hands like the 1/60 VF-1 V1. The wings don't tuck as well as lineart battroid, but considering everything it's not exactly possible. And if you look at the lineart there should be a part covering the wings slightly that disappears in the lineart.

Also taking into account Graham saying that the picture looked squished which made the proportions look off.

I like it. :) Hope the QC and engineering is good. Also hope we get some Protect Armor for this baby! :D

I'll just say that the tiny tailfins don't look any better than the old toy... what happened to 'Fighter First'? LOL.

they gave up on that a while ago, Yamato's current design philosophy is "Balance between modes" (i.e. every mode is compromised)

YF-21?

I think the 1/60 ver 2 was the turning point... but my guess is that for this design the battroid was favored due to the armor pack in order to not repeat the 1/48 oversized sumo suit.

and the yf-21 fighter mode would just plain be broken if the necessary compromises were made to give it a more anime friendly battroid mode.

Edited by eugimon

One thing I'm really curious about on the 11B is the heat shield. I LOVE how it's orange - but I HATED the old 1/72 wierd heat shield attachment.

I presume this one is perfect transformation - but where are they going to tuck that Heat shield? Where will it emerge from? How will it cover the cock pit?

I can't seem to find a credible answer and I am hoping it won't just be an add on part...?

Pete

One thing I'm really curious about on the 11B is the heat shield. I LOVE how it's orange - but I HATED the old 1/72 wierd heat shield attachment.

I presume this one is perfect transformation - but where are they going to tuck that Heat shield? Where will it emerge from? How will it cover the cock pit?

I can't seem to find a credible answer and I am hoping it won't just be an add on part...?

Pete

well, at least the lower part looks like it pops out from under the nose cone, you can see a bit of orange peaking out in the pic.

I'm thinking the cockpit is on a swivel or gimbal of some kind, press the canopy down and the lower part is geared to pop out and then the upper half is exposed to be pulled out.

Edited by eugimon

I refuse to believe that. It has to be perfect transformation. Or at least it has to tuck away somewhere in the fighter mode - under the arm-shield or...hey...

I KNOW!!!

I'm sure the cockpit ROTATES! It rotates and the clear-see through cockpit goes under and the heatshield orange comes out.

It makes perfect sense.

ROTATE IT Yamato!

Pete

I dunno I still think the hands aren't chicken hands as the fingers look a lot more bunched up instead of sprayed out like the old hands. Notice how the bottom pinky finger if you will doesn't retract an angle, but straight in like normal with the rest of the fingers.

Well, I'm also happy because the VF-11B is the EASIEST variable fighter - it's transformation is so smooth that all Yamato has to do is make sure the blasted legs don't fall off this time :) This is gonna be one sweet figure...

But...what will they make now? In terms of new valkyrie?

They have no choice but to do the Macross 7 valkyrie? Retool the YF19 and so on? I mean - everything else is done and Frontier belongs to Bandai now :)

Pete

I have a feeling the entire heatshield will fit inside the nose somehow. There isn't enough room on the other side of the canopy and the ejectionpod takes up most of the space below.

I wonder if the heatshield logo will be tampoprinted or if it will just be some sticker.

And why are people exepecting an armored pack ? Isn't that a Macross 7 thing something Yamato don't have the rights to make ?

Though it would be sweet if they did make one for the 11.

Need to see more of a side profile look in fightermode before i make up my mind. Still its sort of a must-have if im gonna complete my M + lineup in 1/60 scale.

I have a feeling the entire heatshield will fit inside the nose somehow. There isn't enough room on the other side of the canopy and the ejectionpod takes up most of the space below.

Here's a close-up which may support that notion. Note the exposed little red piece underneath the gap between the nose and cockpit canopy.

Theory:

Looks like one pushes the cockpit downwards/inside the fuselage, in order for the heatshield to move from under the nose. One then slides the heatshield over the cockpit, thus locking it into place.

Perhaps once the cockpit is pushed inside the fuselage, a small pin is revealed underneath it, which allows better locking between the midsection and the nose in battroid mode (just simply push the pin back in for fighter mode).

Ok, I'm putting too much thought into this. XD

vf11_red.jpg

Edited by OmegaD3k

No no - this is fun speculation :) I still say it rotates; because it just looks impossible to fit the heat shield into the nose and then slide it out in any meaningful way. I mean - in battroid mode, the heatshield is not attached to anything anywhere - except for to the place where the cock pit is supposed to be.

This leads me to believe that the cockpit gets pressed down and then rotated around - the little orange is the heatshield on the other side of the cockpit.

it's fun to guess how these things transform :)

Pete

The more I look at this the more excited I get for it!! I can't wait to see more pictures. especially a good profile shot which both the YF-21 and the V2 VF-1S had. I agree with you VFTF1 that this Valk does have a pretty staight forward transformation. Hopefully we'll get good QC on this release.

Chris

The question as to what is next after this... Well there still isn't a VF-0D. Big IF, if Yamato has the license still for VFX2, then they arguably can make the VF-11 Protect Armor, the VF-17, the VA-3, and the hijacked Battle 13. Battle 13 I don't think is very likely. Who knows what else they can do, considering that they made the fixed modes 1/200 VF-9 as part of their trading figure sets.

Want to see more pictures. :D