Yamato 1/60 VF-11b under development

That seems to be case. And since the landing gear stores in the neck section, there's plenty of room for that gimmick. Beisdes, if you check this pic carefully, there's a tiny bit of the heatshield peeking from underneath the front of the cockpit. Obviously the heatshield is stored in the nose in F mode.

Ugh that pic makes the inner portion of the canards look really thick and ugly...

My 1/60 YF-19 disagrees with you on the "no gaps" point, but ah well.

Not sure, but I looked at my 19, and took some pics of the usual gap issues I hear about here. Doesnt seem to be an issue? Or is it something else Ive missed? My cell camera sucks though. The shoulders pop up only slightly but not really a huge issue. And there is that modification to fix that one pretty easily.

post-9474-1228458069_thumb.jpg

post-9474-1228458085_thumb.jpg

post-9474-1228458093_thumb.jpg

post-9474-1228458101_thumb.jpg

Not sure, but I looked at my 19, and took some pics of the usual gap issues I hear about here. Doesnt seem to be an issue? Or is it something else Ive missed? My cell camera sucks though. The shoulders pop up only slightly but not really a huge issue. And there is that modification to fix that one pretty easily.

Is your's a fast pack version or the standard one?

Is your's a fast pack version or the standard one?

standard. The landing gear issue is present. Too lazy to fix it right now, but will get a small drill to open the hole a bit. Thats all I can find though.

Edited by Cent

NOOOO!!!!.....just push it to the outside to it's position and the plastic around it will bend slightly and allow the landing gear to be in place

Uhh... I read that someone said that in the 19 thread, but I tried it, but it wont budge and I don't see that happening naturally. At all. I can only forsee terrible splits in the landing gear casing.

I hope someone comes out with some aftermarket resin tailfins that can either slip over or replace the stock ones. Even if it makes transforming to Battroid difficult. Unless, of course, Yamato pulls some anime magic on us and releases the thing with significantly bigger tailfins and a less squashed nose.

It's a shame they changed philosophies with the VF-11. After all the complaints about the original you'd think they'd stay with the "Fighter First" philosophy they had for the VF-0, SV-51, YF-21 and YF-19 that made those things so sexy. Then you get to the VF-11 and it's like they dropped the ball. I can see the differences between the original and the 1/60 but in a lot of ways the new 1/60 looks like they just made the 1/72 bigger and added some improvements.

And it's very very clear that despite supposedly trying for "a balance", they obviously focused heavily on the Battroid mode, considering it's the most line-art accurate mode.

I could overlook the stubby nose and oversized body in fighter mode if they had only made the tailfins lineart accurate somehow. It would have improved the look 100x.

So in the end, as much as I was looking forward to the 1/60 VF-11B mostly for the idea of larger tailfins since that was my only real complaint about the old one, I'm gonna have to pass on the new one unless someone makes an upgrade like I mentioned. I love the VF-11B. It's just really sad that no one has given it's fighter mode justice which is arguably it's best looking mode :(

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

so...is it confirmed that the heatshield will not require us to flip the cockpit over? i.e perfect transformation?

I dun know if it's confirmed but it's probably the reason why the nose/canopy is a little more pudgy compared to the line art and the 1/72

so...is it confirmed that the heatshield will not require us to flip the cockpit over? i.e perfect transformation?

Graham said it definitely has an integral heat shield so it will be perfect transformation. How the heat shield works isn't confirmed.

meh, the 1/60 vf-11 is a HUGE improvement over the 1/72. The 1/72 had major flaws in every mode, imo.

I admit, the battroid mode is muuuuch better than the 1/72. I just usually buy on the strengths of a fighter mode, as that's my favorite. If I wanted a good Battroid, I'd buy the GN-U, as it's extremely accurate and a heck of a lot less expensive.

The fighter mode is exactly where the 1/60 fails :( Though, the GERWALK is no great shakes either.

It's too bad Hasegawa doesn't make a fighter mode of the VF-11 :(

Vostok 7

I can see the differences between the original and the 1/60 but in a lot of ways the new 1/60 looks like they just made the 1/72 bigger and added some improvements.

And it's very very clear that despite supposedly trying for "a balance", they obviously focused heavily on the Battroid mode, considering it's the most line-art accurate mode.

I could overlook the stubby nose and oversized body in fighter mode if they had only made the tailfins lineart accurate somehow. It would have improved the look 100x.

So in the end, as much as I was looking forward to the 1/60 VF-11B mostly for the idea of larger tailfins since that was my only real complaint about the old one, I'm gonna have to pass on the new one unless someone makes an upgrade like I mentioned. I love the VF-11B. It's just really sad that no one has given it's fighter mode justice which is arguably it's best looking mode

Agreed! The tailfins are my main complaint, they are part of what makes the VF-11's appearance so unique. The VF-11 has one of the best fighter modes in Macross, in my opinion, I wish that the tailfins were at least bigger, 8 years ago it was tricky for Yamato to implement retractable landing gear and sliding the tailfins, yes these new ones are substantially bigger but I think they could make even bigger ones. Just widen up the lower legs make it like the battroid line art, that should not only make it even more accurate in battroid mode, but provide the room necessary for fitting the tailfins in without any edges sticking out.

I admit, the battroid mode is muuuuch better than the 1/72. I just usually buy on the strengths of a fighter mode, as that's my favorite. If I wanted a good Battroid, I'd buy the GN-U, as it's extremely accurate and a heck of a lot less expensive.

The fighter mode is exactly where the 1/60 fails :( Though, the GERWALK is no great shakes either.

It's too bad Hasegawa doesn't make a fighter mode of the VF-11 :(

Vostok 7

"fail" is a little harsh, I think. I agree it's the weakest mode but at least everything lines up this time around the glove doesn't have that huge screw bolted on underneath. And it doesn't suffer from the over-sized canards yamato used on the 1/72 to hide that clumsy shoulder hinge.

"fail" is a little harsh, I think. I agree it's the weakest mode but at least everything lines up this time around the glove doesn't have that huge screw bolted on underneath. And it doesn't suffer from the over-sized canards yamato used on the 1/72 to hide that clumsy shoulder hinge.

Agreed on all points, honestly. Like I said, I can live with the stubby nose, it's the tailfins that kills it for me. They are a huge part of the lineart and anime image of the VF-11, and it was sad they missed the mark with them even the second time around. That's the only reason I use "fail". They did such a good job improving everything about the YF-21 and the YF-19... Why not the MAJOR complaint about the VF-11 besides the weak hips and shoulder bars?

I'm going to wait with non-bated breath for the official release and see what it looks like and decide then.

But really, how hard would it be to mould a couple anime and lineart correct tailfins for it as an upgrade? I'm sure someone in the community could do it. If it was done, I'd seriously consider buying the VF-11. I remember back in the day people were actually making paper tailfins that would slip over the tailfins of the 1/72. Improved the look immensely.

Vostok 7

Edited by Vostok 7

I understand Vostok's feelings: I felt very disappointed at the 1/60 YF-21 for similar reasons: Unlike Vostok, I'm a Battroid person and the 21 is my fave Battroid ever. That time around Yamato favored fighter mode, wich made Battroid suffer quite a bit, so I decide to pass on it out of pure scorn.

Now I just want the whole Mac+ line, so I'll get the 21 eventually regardless.

GNU 21's anyone?

I have a bigger problem with the snub nose than anything else, but there's not really a lot that can be done about it. Is it better than the 1/72, yea. But is it good enough to warrant buying and displaying it in fighter? No.

Agreed on all points, honestly. Like I said, I can live with the stubby nose, it's the tailfins that kills it for me. They are a huge part of the lineart and anime image of the VF-11, and it was sad they missed the mark with them even the second time around. That's the only reason I use "fail". They did such a good job improving everything about the YF-21 and the YF-19... Why not the MAJOR complaint about the VF-11 besides the weak hips and shoulder bars?

I'm going to wait with non-bated breath for the official release and see what it looks like and decide then.

But really, how hard would it be to mould a couple anime and lineart correct tailfins for it as an upgrade? I'm sure someone in the community could do it. If it was done, I'd seriously consider buying the VF-11. I remember back in the day people were actually making paper tailfins that would slip over the tailfins of the 1/72. Improved the look immensely.

Vostok 7

Yeah, I agree that the tailfins are a big disappointment. It doesn't ruin fighter mode for me but I can see why it would be for you and others... it really breaks the illusion of a believable fighter mode. I'll probably end up keeping mine with the fast packs on as a result.

Yeah, I agree that the tailfins are a big disappointment. It doesn't ruin fighter mode for me but I can see why it would be for you and others... it really breaks the illusion of a believable fighter mode. I'll probably end up keeping mine with the fast packs on as a result.

It would be soooooo much easier if I liked the fast packs for the VF-11 :(

Vostok 7

Back when Valk Factory was still online, either the owner or a friend of his posted a way to make bigger tailfins for the VF-11 merely using cardboard sheet handouts for color samples found at Home Depot or something. That was the cheapest DIY method that I have ever seen with great results. All you did was fold the paper, and put it over the existing tailfins.

Back when Valk Factory was still online, either the owner or a friend of his posted a way to make bigger tailfins for the VF-11 merely using cardboard sheet handouts for color samples found at Home Depot or something. That was the cheapest DIY method that I have ever seen with great results. All you did was fold the paper, and put it over the existing tailfins.

HA! I think that's the one I remember. :lol: I remember it looked pretty decent (despite all the 1/72s other flaws).

Vostok 7

I have mi gripes, but I think fighter mode is pretty spot on. Granted the nose in the lineart is quite bigger and bulbous, but maybe that's due to Kawamori's trademark fisheyed fighters. Methinks that exact nose in the toy would've looked too goofy. Nothing can be done about the tailfins tho'.

post-1636-1228546485_thumb.jpg

post-1636-1228546499_thumb.jpg

Edited by Lonely Soldier Boy

I'm comparing LS's pictures and my 1/72 -11 w/Fast packs now, and the improvements really are pretty good:

1)Sleeker nose

2)Larger, more accurate intakes

3)No more intake screws(which lead to the smaller intakes on the model)

4)Larger, more accurate dorsal fast packs

So, if you want this but hate the tailfins, just go the Fast pack route--- those, at least, are line-art accurate!