Yamato 1/60 VF-11b under development

Ya know, I'm not bowled over by fighter mode either. I'll buy it, but I think I liked the 21 when I saw it's initial mock-ups more. The tailfins do make it look a little less aggressive.

Edited by jenius

I'm quite sure there's a few extra things to tweak on this project before it is ready to go. The tailfins protrude more than before, hopefully they can make it protrude further. As for the shoulders, they do look a bit too big, but, it's a liberty that I don't mind all that much. I'm sure they had to do it in order to make the fighter mode look good. It doesn't appear that it's highly detailed, and since these seem to be the first pics, I have some confidence that the VF-11 will be detailed more as time goes on.

So far, I definitely like what I'm seeing. It's a great Valkyrie, and I think this thing will get the just articulation and design it deserves.

I'm disappointed with the tail fins, but everything else is a remarkable improvement. Fighter mode looks a bit (pardon the unintentional pun) plain, I'm hoping that's just because of the lighting or something, preventing us from clearly seeing the panel lines which would make all the difference. I'd love a repaint, like that Club-M. That's the VF-X2 colour scheme, right? I'm digging the FAST packs. I'll probably display mine with the FAST packs, making the tail fins less of an issue. I still wish they'd been able to do more with those, though.

I'm quite sure there's a few extra things to tweak on this project before it is ready to go. The tailfins protrude more than before, hopefully they can make it protrude further. As for the shoulders, they do look a bit too big, but, it's a liberty that I don't mind all that much. I'm sure they had to do it in order to make the fighter mode look good. It doesn't appear that it's highly detailed, and since these seem to be the first pics, I have some confidence that the VF-11 will be detailed more as time goes on.

So far, I definitely like what I'm seeing. It's a great Valkyrie, and I think this thing will get the just articulation and design it deserves.

I doubt that we'll see any changes on the sculpt from here on in. I expect the only changes will be in the finish and tampo printing.

Hmmm... looks OK considering all the anime magic they had to overcome, but the small fins and blocky protruding intakes kill the lines of the fighter mode, which happens to be my favorite Kawomari fighter design <_< . The CAD top and side views aren't much better. Battroid looks pretty good, if not exactly line-art accurate.

Pics from Yamato -Enjoy :D

Arraghhh! NICE NICE NICE! Thankyou Dashgtr! Does look a little chunky. (can't win!) I always thought the vf-11 fighter mode was funky anyways.

ABSOLUTELY LOVE BATTROID. I'll get a couple....

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it hasn't been drastically improved over the original (though I'd say anything is an improvement over the originals)

but it still looks rather ugly. the nose and cockpit section in fighter mode is hideously stubby, but it seems like the stubbyness is mostly because of how tall and fat it is because it still looks massively over sized in batroid mode.

the whole thing looks WAY too boxy. and the tail fins, ventral fins, canards, arms, hands, and feet all look undersized. also the gunpod looks really skinny. it's definitely a big improvement and I'm sure plenty of people will like it, (lot's of people liked the YF-19), but like the the YF-19, the whole design and appearance of the thing is terribly compromised in all the worst ways possible, so every mode looks inaccurate and ugly.

considering what was done with the YF-21, I really was hoping for another home run from Yamato, but it look's like this will be another on item from yamato to add to my list of things to pass on.

:edit:

I wiped up a quick comparison to the official line art (pics from he M3)

post-4286-1226031657_thumb.jpg

Edited by anime52k8

It's already been said that Kawamori himself retconned the size of the VF-11 to be bigger. I would actually not mind if he retconned the way the vertical stabilizers were stored in battroid, hell as inaccurate as this would be, I wouldn't care if Yamato just opted to leave out the sliding mechanism, and just folded the vertical stabilizers downwards towards the outside of the the leg.

Whoa, I think you're in the minority there. Folding the fins down onto the outside of the legs would be way too much of a compromise for me. I'd take the small fins over that.

But I agree with you and everyone else that the fins are still way too small. There should be more room in the leg than that...we've got fan-made animations in this thread showing that a properly sized fin could theoretically fit.

Sorry but it looks too chunky to me. The nose and the front fuselage are too short and thick :(

Proportion wise the 1/72 fighter looks better to me. Hope the 1/60 grows on me.

The YF-21 is perfect but this VF-11 should be sleeker!!!

I agree the fighter shud look more sleeker. Battroid looks fine for me.

:edit:

I wiped up a quick comparison to the official line art (pics from he M3)

That's cool, thanks for that.

Fuselage is a bit squashed. It's placed too far forward and the canards are too. In the line art the canards are mostly behind the cockpit and on the Yamato they are more below it. Oh well...that's fairly extreme nitpicking on my part.

What really bothers me other than the tail fins, is the feet. What's going on there?? They look small and there is some kind of weird mid-joint there that I didn't even know existed. The line art of the B-mode is certainly not standing with the front portion of the feet bent like that.

Whoa, I think you're in the minority there. Folding the fins down onto the outside of the legs would be way too much of a compromise for me. I'd take the small fins over that.

I realize that but it is a compromise I'd accept.

There should be more room in the leg than that...we've got fan-made animations in this thread showing that a properly sized fin could theoretically fit.

Not that this would happen since the project has already reached the colored prototype phase, but if Yamato made the nose a tad bit longer/thinner, enlarged the canards, and made the outer sides of the lower legs wider, we would have a more animation accurate VF-11B along with enough room for the vertical fin to slide inside. Slightly widening the lower leg on the outer side wouldn't interfere with the landing gear, since doing this adds space rather than takes space away. The legs might stick out to the sides a bit more in fighter mode, but look better in battroid mode. I'd accept that kind of compromise.

Bit stumpy towards the front in fighter, a bit chunky in battroid. I'll have to see more pics. It's not turning out as well as I was expecting after the 19 and 21, but the essence of it is there. What would probably help is some panel lining to break up all that grey (not expecting any).

Part of the thickness of the main body is probably to accommodate the landing gear, much like the gullet on the YF-19.

The fast packs look much better than on the old version. The gunpod seems a bit on the thin side, but I'm thankful it's not ungodly massive like on the GN-U. Glad to see no more shoulder bars. :)

Interesting to note the two part heatshield, and the ejectable/removable cockpit like in Macross 7. I wasn't really expecting that to be featured at all.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it hasn't been drastically improved over the original (though I'd say anything is an improvement over the originals)

but it still looks rather ugly.

I think the comments on the improvement, certainly my own, are more of an indication of how bad the 1/72 was. I agree with a lot of the observations you make. Especially the note on how boxy it looks. The VF-11 lineart, and many of the models, are very rounded in appearance, where the Yamato toy seems to have sharper, more defined edges. I prefer the more rounded look.

I wonder how large it will be? Given its appearance in the photos, I would guess possibly larger than the 1/60 VF-1, but still significantly smaller than the 21, 19, or SV-51.

Awesome pics!! =D Battroid mode looks great, gerwalk is awesome, fighter mode is ok, but the nose cone needs to be a wee bit longer. XD

Lookin' good! Love the escape pod!

I have yet to find out how the headshield works...

Edited by OmegaD3k

WTF are you talking about did you misread the part about me stating that the squashed fuselage on the Club M suck?

hehe...chill dude, I was just joking about someone else commenting how you're one of the few who is liking the VF-25, bad joke I guess, my apologies beersmily.gif

Seeing that compared to the lineart, it appears that the nose from the front of the cockpit on needs to be elongated. I think we all agree on the tailfins needing to be more pronounced. It's my opinion that battroid doesn't look bad at all. Out of all the Valkyries, the VF-11 looks very beefy as for battroid. For fighter though, it looks a bit chunky. Could just be the photo angle, but I do think a more elongated feel for fighter would take the chunkiness out of it. Making the nose a bit longer would help.

That is a really bad squashed up pic. Looks like it's been photoshopped to make it all squashed looking. Real thing looks 10x better.

Graham

Graham, I am putting my trust in this statement. It doesn't look too detailed in those pics either, but I trust that when this thing hits the market, it'll look like a gem (crossing fingers)

The more I see it, the more I like it, especially Bat mode. The smaller tail fins are certainly not a deal breaker for me, I really don't see them as a defining characteristic of the Valk anyways.

If Graham is right (and I have no doubt that he is) this thing will have a very special spot in my collection. It may actually be the first valk I buy multiples of, especially if they do all kinds of repaints.

Wow I like how it looks but the comparison shots to me ruin it, but comparing a solid 3Dimensional object with that of 2D anime line art is just weird to me.

The nose does seem rather short, the stabilizer wings are too short along with the armor plates on the shoulders are to fat, and yeah the tail fins are horrible.

But if good ol' Graham says it looks better in person then I'll believe him. I don't think he's ever steered us wrong or mislead us a bit. Alot of the stuff he's said and have graciously told us helps myself make a decision if it's something I want to buy. And god help me if I get another job, the moment I see this mother for preorder I'm snagging it.

At the moment I would like to say that it at least looks solid. The only thing that I'm not amazed at is the GERWALK mode. Alright though. Fighter could be sleeker, but the Battroid mode looks damn good. I'm in for 7.

Am I really the only one who thinks the feet look stupid? Or are they mis-transformed? I don't even know what that SV-51 style toe-hinge is for. Do the toes hinge in G-mode?

No you are not the only one, that foot joint is horrible.

And I completely disagree that Battroid mode looks good.

The head is too small, the whole chest/fuselage area is too big (homage to 1/48 ?) and the feet are too small compared to the legs they are sitting in. And lets not even talk about what looks like minimal articulation on the hip area like with the VF-0.

Again, all in the name of fighter mode. I was very disappointed with the over-emphasis on fighter mode for YF-21 and the shitty approach to Battroid mode and it doesn't look like it's going to change this time around.