Super Dimension Century Orguss

Veoh has subbed & raw episodes. Wasn't the ImaginAsian discs region 1?

Thanks. I'm watching it right now, hehe...

^_^

This might be old news, but since there are a million Orguss threads already I don't want to search through all of them, so I'll just post here.

ORGUSS IS BACK, BABY!!

Well, kind of. In video game form.

http://superrobotwar.wordpress.com/2008/06...obot-wars-z-pv/

Not sure what platform this is, but anyway, Super Robot Wars actually makes sense now! (It seems they use the Orguss concept of parallel universes beig jumbled up together, which is cool.)

Other interesting appearances include Eureka Seven and Aquarion. B))

Yeah...!!!! I just got made 2 screenshots from the one in the link...

Enjoy!!! :lol:

post-7862-1218088444_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1218088453_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

At first the name doesn't ring a bell. It still doesn't. Then I looked at the Palm Action Nikick toy and I suddenly remembered something.

I HAD that toy once as a kid! (not the current Megahouse one, of course. But it was a Nikick) I remember.... trashing it as well ;_; It was the crotch beak that reminded me xD Obviously I don't know which manufacturer made it at the time. Heck, I didn't even know it came from Orguss! (Not that I cared then even if I DID know). The best feature that caught my young mind back then was the nifty sliding chest piece that's used to tuck the head inside :p Ahhhh good times.

Edited by renkenjutsu

Neither, apparently, has Renato :lol:

That's just because of all the part-swapping BS on the arms that I couldn't be bothered with. Besides, it isn't WRONG per se, this version of the Gerwalk is actually used in the episode where some kid and an old guy steal the orguss and Kei decides to help them out in exchange for the guy's grand-daughter or something, the player that he is.

I LOVE this show!

As for the aesthetic issue, I agree that it's a like-it-or-hate-it thing in a way, but Drifand makes a good point that the mecha is so diverse, there must be something to like, be it from the Emaan, Terram or Mu worlds, or even the Bronco II etc.

While I don't like all the mecha designs in Orguss (didn't like the angular enemy bots as much), some did end up being very memorable, even after 20+ years of not watching that show or owning an Orguss toy. End up getting myself a Takatoku 1/40 Orguss not too long ago. :D Love that organic look and red/white color scheme, with a head that almost look like an eagle head, with a green visor on the mouth. Very unique.

Edited by mpchi

As for the aesthetic issue, I agree that it's a like-it-or-hate-it thing in a way, but Drifand makes a good point that the mecha is so diverse, there must be something to like, be it from the Emaan, Terram or Mu worlds, or even the Bronco II etc.

I love the Bronco II. It's my favorite mecha from Orguss.

I love the Bronco II. It's my favorite mecha from Orguss.

The Bronco II is one of my favorites too. I kick myself every time I think of the 1/48 model that I passed up as a kid, on sale for $2.99 or somesuch ridiculous price. Honestly, I love all of the Orguss mecha. Miyatake really did a great job. The Takatoku representations are uniformly excellent, even though the durability could at times be suspect. Doesn't matter though.

Renato, sorry, I was just busting your balls there :lol:. I don't even have the Palm Action toys, even though I had preordered them well in advance of release... A certain E-tailer promised to order them for me, but never came through (they're still on 'pending' in my shopping cart, lol). For anyone not in on the joke, the Gerwalk mode of the Orgroid has the arms folded back under the fuselage and between the legs (hey, hey.)

I agree, Renato, this series is kick-ass. Kei is most definitely a playa.

Edited by Hiriyu

Yuech, i can't stand orgus design.

The ironic thing is that the Orguss itself seems to have influenced some of Kawamori valkyrie designs afterwards... No wonder, since practically all the mecha from Orguss was designed by Kazutaka Miyatake, one of Kawamori's influences (Kawamori said that in an interview) and who worked with him in SDF Macross... (In Macross Miyatake designed the big ships, the SDF-1, The Destroids and the Zentradi Power Armors among other things...).

I just love the designs from Orguss... They remind me a lot of the original Macross... (and still they are quite different...). ^_^

post-7862-1218201529_thumb.jpg

post-7862-1218201684_thumb.gif

post-7862-1218201787_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I'm about 10 episodes into the series. Just watched "Barbarians" this morning. The concept of the show is great, and I like how it allows many different types of stories to be told and mecha to be seen. I also like all the little Macross jokes that they've tucked in. Kei seems like kind of a D-bag sometimes, though.

The odd thing is that, by watching this at the same time as Frontier, I keep thinking my computer is slowing down. The difference in animation technology and frame rates almost perfectly replicates the mkv hanging on my old system.

I'm about 10 episodes into the series.

How many episodes are there? I remember I read somewhere that there was an official subtitled release in VHS (or was it DVD?), but it was incomplete...

Is there an official Orguss DVD English subtitled compilation? :blink:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

How many episodes are there? I remember I read somewhere that there was an official subtitled release in VHS (or was it DVD?), but it was incomplete...

Is there an official Orguss DVD English subtitled compilation? :blink:

I heard that someone was coming out with one, but I've never seen it. I haven't looked too hard, though.

And the old U.S. Renditions VHS version was dub only, unfortunately. And they only got up to episode...16? 17? Somewhere around there. I think there were 35 episodes total...which you can find subbed a couple of torrents. There were also the two Orguss Memorials, which I have somewhere on an aged VHS tape. As far as i know, those are nowhere on any of the internets.

• 2 weeks later...

Need some help here, hehe... I managed to download and record the whole SDF Macross series to DVD using *.avi files in 1 DVD with 4 episodes in it and 4 other DVDs with 8 episodes each without any error.

However, I just made a DVD with the first 8 episodes of Orguss (which were in *.ogg format). The subtitles do not work well (they appear sporadically)... I tested the DVD in my Pc and apparently the subs fail there too. Could it be a simple recording error or does the *.ogg format with subs doesn't convert well into DVD format? I used Convert x to DVD and never had any trouble before with that program... (using *.avi or *.mkv format that is...)

The 8 episodes of Orguss are *.ogg files from LAI subs...

:wacko:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

So who thinks Macross Frontier is going to end with a guy setting off a super dimensional bomb on a planet with a space elevator?

I believe Gundam 00 has Space Elevators in it...

Btw... I got into the VSO forums and I was told that convert x to DVD has a bug that munches the subtitles out of *.ogm/*.ogg files...

Sadly, all the episodes of the fan subbed Orguss series are *.ogm files. Does anybody know about a decent ogg/ogm to DVD converter outthere? Damn... I want to see Orguss in my DVD Player A.S.A.P.!!! :wacko:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

• 1 month later...
This one? It was subbed by ILA subs I believe...

Btw... I didn't know there was an Orguss game released in the 80s...

i'm watchin' orguss now, fansubbed by ila. i just finished mospeada, fansubbed by gray phantom, and it was aight. i am on episode 3 of orguss (i took a break to come to MW).

I believe Gundam 00 has Space Elevators in it...

Btw... I got into the VSO forums and I was told that convert x to DVD has a bug that munches the subtitles out of *.ogm/*.ogg files...

i'm watchin' orguss now, fansubbed by ila.

Sadly, all the episodes of the fan subbed Orguss series are *.ogm files. Does anybody know about a decent ogg/ogm to DVD converter outthere? Damn... I want to see Orguss in my DVD Player A.S.A.P.!!! :wacko:

i just saw a link for one on another forum. i'll have to find it and post the link.

Edited by DJ Loe Kee

There aren't nearly enough Orguss toys out there. I love the old Takatoku Orgroid and even the tiny Megahouse Orgroid, but there needs to be some choices between those. I'd love to see what Bandai or even Yamato would do with the license.

Nah, I'd like to see CM's do all of the mecha in a common scale (1/48?) with a quality level on a par with the brave Gokin Patlabor stuff. I'm pretty excited how their Dorvack release turns out.

• 2 weeks later...
the ending of orguss is "WTF?!?". talk about a major cliffhanger...

Cliffhanger? That's not the word I would have chosen :lol:

The ending is meant to be an illustration that all has been put right within the super-multi-dimensional-general-mishmash of things, by the actions of Kei and Olson. The effects of the Super Dimension bomb have been cancelled out, and all possible worlds have reverted to... well, their own worldly possibilities. Hence the slide show at the end, which shows the [possible] result(s) of the non-existence of the singularity set up by the bomb in the first place.

Pretty simple, really ;)

Edited by Hiriyu

Cliffhanger? That's not the word I would have chosen :lol:

The ending is meant to be an illustration that all has been put right within the super-multi-dimensional-general-mishmash of things, by the actions of Kei and Olson. The effects of the Super Dimension bomb have been cancelled out, and all possible worlds have reverted to... well, their own worldly possibilities. Hence the slide show at the end, which shows the [possible] result(s) of the non-existence of the singularity set up by the bomb in the first place.

Pretty simple, really ;)

ok. i was confused at first at. i was like "did kei and olsen just kill themselves in order to set the world's right?". so i wasn't sure if they lived or died.

aaaaah. i liked mhoohm. she didn't make it...

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...

CM's might be working on an Orguss toy as part of their Brave Gokin line.

http://hk.myblog.yahoo.com/iam-cybergundam/article?mid=25103

See the silhouette on the bottom right? Looks like a Orgroid right? Also, the text on top says "Toki no nagare, nori koe" (trans. overcome the flow of time). That's a line straight from the Orguss opening theme song.

I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned here yet.

post-1142-1243028266_thumb.jpg

Edited by Vifam7