VF-2SS Model

Pawn_of_Evil

Wow~! Your model looks really nice. I am very curious about the renders though. Besides texturing, how did the model on the last picture eventually became what it is on the other pictures. The model looks a lot smoother on the post-textured pictures. Also, I have a certain appreciation for the VF-2SS and was wondering if you are planning to make the fast-pack for the valkyrie?

The Battroid image is a quick proportion test made using the block in that I did for the fighter. This is why it lacks a head, hands, and finished arms. The higher quality renders are of the same model in jet form, with set smooth turned on and a subsurf modifier added to each piece. Doing this will generally make objects a little too round. This can be countered by adding edge loops close to other edge loops with the loopcut tool, then sliding them with the edge slide tool (in the ctrl-e menu set) until you have the sharpness required. This will drastically increase the poly count, as this model went from 4158 polys to 10044 polys, not counting the polys added with the subsurf modifiers. Alternatively, if you wanted to keep the poly count low and still have edges that look good in set smooth mode, you can select the edges that are supposed to be sharp, go into the ctrl-e menu and choose mark sharp, then add an edgesplit modifier.

With the exception of the chest plate, the model is not really textured. I used vertex groups to assign different materials to different polygons, and created a UV map for the chest plate using a simple projection.

I do plan on creating the fast pack, and am debating on whether I should do a quick block-in of it now or wait until I have the regular model finished, textured, and rigged. It all depends on how much time I can find to work on it while being a full time college student and working two part-time jobs.

The Battroid image is a quick proportion test made using the block in that I did for the fighter. This is why it lacks a head, hands, and finished arms. The higher quality renders are of the same model in jet form, with set smooth turned on and a subsurf modifier added to each piece. Doing this will generally make objects a little too round. This can be countered by adding edge loops close to other edge loops with the loopcut tool, then sliding them with the edge slide tool (in the ctrl-e menu set) until you have the sharpness required. This will drastically increase the poly count, as this model went from 4158 polys to 10044 polys, not counting the polys added with the subsurf modifiers. Alternatively, if you wanted to keep the poly count low and still have edges that look good in set smooth mode, you can select the edges that are supposed to be sharp, go into the ctrl-e menu and choose mark sharp, then add an edgesplit modifier.

With the exception of the chest plate, the model is not really textured. I used vertex groups to assign different materials to different polygons, and created a UV map for the chest plate using a simple projection.

I do plan on creating the fast pack, and am debating on whether I should do a quick block-in of it now or wait until I have the regular model finished, textured, and rigged. It all depends on how much time I can find to work on it while being a full time college student and working two part-time jobs.

Wow! From reading your comments, you are extremely talented. When I was working on the YF-19, I would get my pieces and just animate them by adding a LocRot on a different frame of time. I would then flip between markers to make sure the battloid, fighter and gerwalk modes look nice. Because of the mirror modifiers, I cannot always have my cake, but this method is good enough for me. (I did not rig or anything, just a simple LocRot!)

I also wanted to say thank you for the tips for high polycount modeling. Lastly, in my case, any presentations of a model, that I am currently working on, helps me by keeping my motivation level high. If it helps your motivation, then making a quick block-in sounds great. I hope to see more pictures from this thread~!

• 1 month later...

Finally had some time to work on this sucker. The only way I could arrange time was to have this be one of finals for one of the modeling classes I am in.

Anyways, he is currently sitting at 961496 quads not counting the hands. I should have a textured and transformed version up by tomorrow, since that is when it is due. Enjoy!

post-8625-1217958168_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1217958175_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1217958180_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1217958188_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1217958192_thumb.jpg

Finally had some time to work on this sucker. The only way I could arrange time was to have this be one of finals for one of the modeling classes I am in.

Anyways, he is currently sitting at 961496 quads not counting the hands. I should have a textured and transformed version up by tomorrow, since that is when it is due. Enjoy!

That model is so going to get you an A++!!

Finals are over and I can go back to sleeping on a regular basis. The textures didn't come out nearly as well as I wanted them too, probably because I ran out of time. My modeling instructor, who is also a Macross fan, was really impressed by this project, despite the poor textures, I am in the process of redoing the textures so that they look more realistic. I am also in the process of finishing the modeling of the parts used in the conversion to battroid, such as the swing bar.

On the topic of a toy: while I won't be making a 1/60 Yamato-caliber toy, I will attempt a papercraft version that may or may not transform if I can find the time during the next semester (in other words: it won't be finished for a long time).

Please enjoy these updated pics.

post-8625-1218447492_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1218447513_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1218447537_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1218447544_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

With Finals now over for the semester, I finally found time to work on this thing again. Finished up the texture maps and added a cockpit. I have still not rigged the model, just moved parts around for the transformation. No deformation necessary. Special thanks to Mr. March and the Macross Mecha Manual, as well as W.M. Cheng for his brilliant model. Modeled in Blender, textured and rendered in Modo. Enjoy!

post-8625-1229433392_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1229433404_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1229433420_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1229433434_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1229433451_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1229433463_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1229433472_thumb.jpg

post-8625-1229433481_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pawn_of_Evil

With Finals now over for the semester, I finally found time to work on this thing again. Finished up the texture maps and added a cockpit. I have still not rigged the model, just moved parts around for the transformation. No deformation necessary. Special thanks to Mr. March and the Macross Mecha Manual, as well as W.M. Cheng for his brilliant model. Modeled in Blender, textured and rendered in Modo. Enjoy!

I swear, the VF-2SS is darn cool. Your model: really really darn cool.

Very nice work, Pawn of Evil. Or perhaps I should say Pawn of Awesome :)

I've never seen a CG version of the VF-2SS, so this is a treat. The proportions of the 3D model turned out quite well for what was originally a 2D creation. Nice work.

I'm glad my website helped you out.

• 11 years later...