Macross Frontier News Thread III *Read 1st post*

azrael

So silly question which i've read over and over again.... how did the term "pineapple salad?" come from?I know what it means but.... anyone give me a hand? thanks

This question are supposed to be in the newbie tread, but I answer it anyway.

Pineapple salad is the name of the episode where Focker died in the original Macross, he died due to internal bleeding while Claudia is serving pineapple salad.

http://www.macrossf.com/story/story_list.html

Screenshots of episode 15 in Macross F website.

Glowing Sheryl does look fake, her eyes are even covered. What's the text on the Ranka shot? I could see:

"Ranka is being concerned/consumed(?)

Image in daily life"

Zooming in and adjusting image colors don't help in bringing out the text :p Here's the photo I enhanced with levels, removed a bit of red.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/2140/storypic1503bo6.jpg

Further enhancement:

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/1482/storypic1503fr1.jpg

Edited by mike_s_6

Does anyone know whether the discs have any English substitle ? Don't mind getting them if it does.

Apparently it doesn't, includes just an audio commentary :(

Details (translated by google):

Color

173 minutes / (158 minutes + Bonus Features 15)

Dolby TrueHD (5.1ch) Linear PCM (stereo)

AVC

BD50G × 2

16:9 <1080 p High Definition>

Apparently it doesn't, includes just an audio commentary :(

Details (translated by google):

Color

173 minutes / (158 minutes + Bonus Features 15)

Dolby TrueHD (5.1ch) Linear PCM (stereo)

AVC

BD50G × 2

16:9 <1080 p High Definition>

Thanks, they don't give much bonus do they ? Only 15 minutes worth.

You know a character is popular when Tony Taka decides to make a comic about them. ^_^

*nods nods*

And I'll definately get a hardcopy of that issue of T2 Art Works when it comes out. Oh yesireee. And I won't share it with you guys. (partly due to stingyness and also partly due to fear of getting banned :lol:)

Loli Doujin? :ph34r: Klan is sure pupolar among certain fans

I do not appreciate Loli-doujin, especially of Klan. You filthy, filthy people. :p

Klan is an art form in herself. I appreciate her for her beauty....... especially when macronized >.>

I want that wristband!!! :lol:
Do they sell car windshield panels? The style you pop in for heat reduction when parked? :huh:

Awesome... Thank you very much!!!

So Yoko Kanno made the Nyan Nyan song pretty fast, hehe.... and Kawamori created the lyrics of Cosmic Brother Ship...!!! :ph34r:

I expected Yoko Kanno to do that the fastest (apart from the fact that it's the shortest song), she's pretty well-versed with commercial music writing/arrangement, I believe it was her first job from being discovered and she's still one up to now :)

Trivia for new Kanno fans - she wrote a piece for Microsoft and have arranged a piece for IBM's commercials. I thought that seeing a CM within the context of Macross was some sort of thing she herself suggested to Kawamori.

To Kawamori, I can only say, "Speed, Miracle, SPACY!!!" :lol:

food-smiley-021.gifLet's see what's in the paper (site updates):

• If you don't know about Macross Chronicle, you do now. Binder is 1,780 Yen.
  • You can experience the quality of Macross F on Blu-Ray via Playstation TV on your Playstation 3. See site for more details.
  • QUEEN DOLCE bar and cafe in Akihabara will once again be offering Macross-based cocktails. July 19th thru July 31st. (They will be closed on 7/22).
  • JOYSOUND will be hosting an event on July 27th at Zepp Tokyo. Karaoke and merchandise will be available.
  • Macross F Gashapons will go on sale in early August. Initial lineup will be Sheryl Nome, Ranka Lee, Alto Saotome, VF-25F, VF-25S (about 7 more VF-25s will be coming, different colors as well). 200 yen each
  • Macross F T-shirts will be coming back on sale. 3,000 yen/shirt.
  • blah blah blah Glass set and band score, 1,000 yen each
  • Framed pictures of Sheryl and Ranka, 1,500 yen each
  • 1/60 DX Chogokin VF-25 coming in Fall. http://www.tamashii.jp/

BTW, according to the site, the images are the prototypes->pic_080717_07.jpgpic_080717_08.jpg

• The August edition of BEAT Magazine will have 5-pages on Macross F (info on Blu-Ray and DVD, production info, a short Kawamori interview, merchandising)

H1_08_A.jpgDSC02484.jpg

HHAHAHAA :) Great interview. I especially liked this comment...

Kawamori: I’m already at that age where I wind up saying things like ‘young people these days..,’

He'd be right at home here on Macross World. We got more than a few of those :)

Those are some great scans and interviews but it's too bad for those who only speak and read in English. We have no idea what is said and will never get to see the magazines. :( Why don't American anime magazines have this stuff?

HHAHAHAA :) Great interview. I especially liked this comment...

Kawamori: I’m already at that age where I wind up saying things like ‘young people these days..,’

He'd be right at home here on Macross World. We got more than a few of those :)

Yeah, kids these days.... heheh.. I'm in no position to talk I know. I have to be at least 25 probably to say that but I know I will enjoy saying that one day.

Those are some great scans and interviews but it's too bad for those who only speak and read in English. We have no idea what is said and will never get to see the magazines. :( Why don't American anime magazines have this stuff?

+1

Yeah, kids these days.... heheh.. I'm in no position to talk I know. I have to be at least 25 probably to say that but I know I will enjoy saying that one day.

unhappyjokervu9.jpg Kids these days...

You're a kid if you're under 25, at least to me. :D GROW UP! :lol:

I know, I'm not lying to myself at all. I'd just like to be able to say that, but I know I can't just yet

Thanks for the scan links, Kresphy. As for what it says, I did a quick summary (while I was reading). I really summarized things to the interesting points, but hopefully it will help out. Now, if I can find a real copy of this Beat Magazine...

Macross F is the first Macross TV series Kawamori has directed. 7 was directed by Amino Tetsuro and even Macross Plus was a co-director position. His tastes change and are reflected in each “Macross” series.

Kawamori never wants to do the same thing. It took ten years from the movie to do Macross 7 and Plus because enough time had passed and he could do something different. Even with Zero he could add a mythology aspect to it.

Zero is not the first time CG was used in a Macross series. CG was used for 7 and Plus, but in an experimental phase. He felt animators had reached a limit on animating mecha action, which is why he wanted to explore CG. During Zero, he felt that the technology could be used for a TV series, although in Zero CG was used mainly for flight scenes, and a few test battle scenes with the battroids. It wasn’t enough for doing many scenes at the time, but he cleared the initial hurdle. The next test came with Aquarion and if CG could produce enough good action scenes. Once this was accomplished, Kawamori felt hand animation could be concentrated on the characters and song sequences and he could finally make the Macross TV series he wanted.

Mecha action, songs, and love are the themes of Macross. The idea of combining songs and war are strange, but Kawamori remembers seeing the Vietnam war on TV and then flipped the channel to a singing show and feeling that the singing show felt more real. The three points of Macross are a real constraint and in the beginning Kawamori was thinking of what the singer would do, how the hero and heroine would meet, and different love triangles (two males and one female, three females, etc.) . The most difficult part was tying songs to the enemy. He keeps changing ideas that the staff finally told him not to change it anymore. If he made a Macross just for the existing fans it would be easy, but wouldn’t be a challenge.

It’s been 25 years since the original series and there are so many things that didn’t exist back then, that the tempo is different and adding those things are interesting enough that non-mecha fans can enjoy the show.

Regarding Yoko Kanno, originally he only asked her to do a few songs, but after she read the planning notes she wanted to do them all, so he feels very lucky.

He leaves the song details to Kanno, but has ideas on differences between Ranka and Sheryl’s songs. And because the show is set in 2059, words like fold and gravity pop-up once in awhile. He’s glad that May’n and Megumi Nakajima sound different, because their voices leave different impressions. The Seikan Hikou sequence was animated from video of Megumi dancing. “Songs” are not used just as background music, but as a more integral part of the story linking to the battle sequences. Kawamori wants to make something that touches both the heart and stomach of the viewer (not just the eyes and ears).

The private army was devised for a number of reasons, mostly because Kawamori decided the lead would be a student and pilot. If he was in a real military, he couldn’t be a student at the same time (nor have long hair). He did research on private armies and how they work as well.

Regarding teenagers, he wanted them to feel a connection to Macross F by starting with a normal person (someone like them) and what it would be like to fight (like how wars are actually happening in the world). Frontier looks like a vinyl balloon house, and he feels like Japan lives in their own little greenhouse, and what would happen if some kind of culture shock happened.

Hiroyuki Yoshino is the one who adds all the homages into the series, like Alto rescuing Ranka in his Valkyrie. Kawamori has drawn this type of sequence three times (first TV series, movie, Macross F). Even with Episode 10’s reference to Macross Zero, he tries to change things a little bit to give different meaning. However, he doesn’t want to alienate viewers who don’t know Macross, so he warns the staff to be careful with the references.

About 3/5 through Macross F will surpass all Macross's and enter an adventurous storyline.

Regarding the three versions of episode 1, Kawamori really wanted to have something broadcast last year for the 25th anniversary, thus the De Culture edition. The De Culture edition is like a movie, while the TV version focuses on the characters and feels more like a TV episode. Bandai Visual asked for a complete longer episode, so music, BGM, etc. will be different on the extended version and Kawamori hopes the impression is different.

Regarding the DVD and Blu-ray release, Kawamori hopes that those with HD capabilities will enjoy seeing the details in space fights and the galaxy sequences, and even hear some lines that weren’t so clear in the broadcast version.

For those teenagers who are watching the show and will be alive in 2059, he hopes they watch this show and asks to continue everyone’s support.