Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

which one unlocks battle frontier?

Just got the VF-27, and Battle Frontier is unlocked along with the VF-27. You get both when you finish all normal Frontier missions, plus the two EX Frontier missions. To get the EX My Boyfriend is a Pilot and Sad Sniper, you must get at least an S rank in the normal versions of both levels first.

Edited by Mellow Yellow

I think it has something to do with Sharon Apple. There is even a pilot skill that makes that happen to enemies. So I believe it's just part of the stage and trying to recreate the "disorientation" Sharon makes people feel.

Ahh, the good ol' RPG "confusion" effect.

Bleh.

yellowlightman: grind with easier stage to raise your stats. Dump points into defenses, gunpod and your melee attacks.

Yeah, I ended up tweaking the point balances on the VF-1D and took Britai out really quickly with a team special attack.

Anyone else finding the SDF Macross path missions a bit harder? I'm not sure if it's because I was used to the more powerful M+/M7 mecha, but I've had a much harder time scoring A's and S's than I did when playing through M7 or M+.

Got this from gamefaqs. This solves ALL our problems.

Seems like there's alot of question about unable to get S-rank for many missions. Actually most of them just have one simple requirement: Killing the ace the moment they appear.

See the zero in the point count screen that comes up after every mission? Usually that's what it is.

It's the "mement that they appear" part that is the problem though, because for THIS game it is meant to be literal.

Pretty much impossible to pull off most of the time, right?

There is one simple way to do it though.

First off, you need to clear all 4 era (plus EXTRA? I don't know if that is included, but when I figured it out I already did all the ones I had. You can try for yourself). No need to S them, and you don't need to do the non-passworded EX-missions. Just all the regular ones. As long as you pass all of them, even a D should work (Again, I have not test that part out. Did get a D when I successfully finished a mission though).

At this point you should unlock the cross-era mode that let you use all mechs in all era.

Now the key is the YF-21. It is the only mech in game with the Kamikaze special attack. Like in the original, it's a hyperspeed booster-ram attack with both high power and damages. It's almost a guarenteed on-shot-kill if you max the melee attack, even against the giant bosses one strike'll take out a large chunk of their HPs.

So take the YF-21, max the melee(last weapon, on the right) and radar(lowest slection on mech tune screen) missile-spam everything and store up SP until you see the "warning" screen. Immediately cycle through the enemies until you see someone with a name. Kamikaze him rightaway.

All other enemies you can wait for later, it's the Aces that you have to kill in seconds. When that's done though, getting S or even SS for acekilling missions is going to be like a cakewalk.

(The YF-21 is a well-rounded mech, with trigger missiles, activation-based forcefield barrier and a great superattack. Just forget about the beam laser and slow main gun, and put every extra points into missile reload and range, and you can take it out for most every missions.)

YF-21, VF-1J Armored (slower than heck, but clusterbombing rocks), VF-1S Superpack and the Tomahawk for two specific occations. I haven't run through every mech in the game yet, but these are what I'm generally using.

I really don't understand how some of you guys have gotten through the game so quickly?

Do you not have jobs, wives, kids, families, not need to sleep, not need to eat, not need to take potty breaks etc?

I picked my copy up on Thursday, but because of commitments to work, family and friends, I've only had a grand total of about 3 hours to devote to the game so far in the last two and a half days!

Does my time management really suck, or do you guys just live for gaming at the exclusion of all else?

Sometimes when I read on the forums about the amount of anime some of you guys have time to watch or the amount of gaming you do, I think that either a) I've forgotten what it was like to be young, free and single or b) you guys all live in a parallel dimesion where there are 48 hours in a day.

Graham - very jealous and feeling like the old, middle aged, married fart I am.

I really don't understand how some of you guys have gotten through the game so quickly?

My secret has been the 2+ hours I spend on the train per day, the short missions make it easy to bust out the PSP and play a few games on my commute.

Is there a secret to doing the specials? It seems like sometimes I can pull them off fine, but sometimes I have to mash the buttons a few times to get them to work... and sometimes they don't seem to want to work at all. Yes, the special bar is full when this happens.

Do you not have jobs,

Sadly, not at the moment.

wives,

Yes.

kids, families,

No.

not need to sleep, not need to eat,

Two meals and six hours

not need to take potty breaks etc?

PSP's portable, y'know? You can keep playing on your potty breaks.

As has been mentioned, it helps if you're not into TV. Basically, I played it most of the day while the wife was at work. I cooked dinner for the wife on Wednesday and Thursday, and she wanted to go out on Friday. I watched a little TV with her, then played some more when she wanted to study for the CPA exam. End result is that I put about 15 or 16 hours into it over three days. I'll probably play it more today and tomorrow between the usual weekend activities, use the advice posted for getting S ranks (at least on the missions to unlock the remaining mecha and EX missions), then go back to job hunting on Monday.

They live in a parallel dimension. That, and a lack of a *real* job. (sorry, couldn't resist :p )

Feel the same as Graham at the moment...

>.<

Do you not have jobs, wives, kids, families, not need to sleep, not need to eat, not need to take potty breaks etc?

I picked my copy up on Thursday, but because of commitments to work, family and friends, I've only had a grand total of about 3 hours to devote to the game so far in the last two and a half days!

Does my time management really suck, or do you guys just live for gaming at the exclusion of all else?

Sometimes when I read on the forums about the amount of anime some of you guys have time to watch or the amount of gaming you do, I think that either a) I've forgotten what it was like to be young, free and single or b) you guys all live in a parallel dimesion where there are 48 hours in a day.

Graham - very jealous and feeling like the old, middle aged, married fart I am.

Got this from gamefaqs. This solves ALL our problems.

Well, not all. The EX missions in the eras (as opposed to the missions in the Extra section... confusing, I know) are quite difficult, especially since no matter how much you tune your units, they're un-tuned for those missions.

The EX missions are

MACROSS:

Longest Birthday

Pine Salad

MACROSS PLUS:

Dogfight

Whatever the last mission is called.

MACROSS 7:

Can't remember the names. First one is where you have to defend the Destroids in the city from Varauta fighters. Second is when you're taking out FZ-109s in the canyon, with Grabil at the end.

MACROSS FRONTIER:

Miss Macross

Friendly Fire

I finished Longest Birthday, Dogfight, and both the 7 missions. On Pine Salad, I can finish the first part, but Miria mops the floor with me seconds into the second part. The Ghost took me out in the Plus mission. Klan's Q-Rea doesn't last long in Miss Macross, and Brera took me out in Friendly Fire.

The YF-21 trick works great for getting S ranks to open EX missions, as well as beat the Extra missions, though. Even if there isn't one particular ace that pops up to kamikaze, spamming missiles is good for a combo score.

I finished the game yesterday. Couldn't clear the ace and enemy gauntlets yet though. I am abit disappointed that the Frontier arc seemed very half-done. The campaign ends with the part where Alto and Brera save Ranka from the Vajra queen. That's it. :angry: And like Graham said, there's NO fast or armored packs for the VF-25s which sucks since its heavily featured in the anime series....there just seems to be no reason not to have them. I finished the Frontier missions including the vajra ones but haven't seem to unlocked the VF-27 nor the battle frontier (which has the gunship mounted on the right shoulder. Interesting)

I have yet to unlock the VF-0 as well....probably have to get a SS rank somewhere or something. Disappointing that the Zero did not get a proper campaign when they could have easily added in seeing how maps are recycled blatantly.

This game pales in comparison to GBU. GBU has tonnes of unlockables, generally better game depth, and differentiation between weapons and much more missions. This game is too short and now i'm only playing to unlock the various hard to get secrets.

Had time to go through about 6 of the M7 missions last night after my son went to bed and my wife went to work (she's on night shift ATM). Got my first 'S' rank and 'A' and 'B' on all the rest, so I must be getting a bit better.

Quite enjoying the game. Playing the VF-17D. A bit disappointed that the designers made the same mistake as with VF-X2 in that they made the VF-17's gunpod a beam weapon, insted of a 7 barreled 30mm.

One thing that's strange is that after completing one of the M7 missions, I seemed to unlock the big and small Vajra and VF-171, but then they disappeared again and I couldn't find them. No idea why they were unlocked (if that is the case) during an M7 mission, or where they went to?

Also, what if anything is talking to the operator during a mission supposed to do?

Graham

Had time to go through about 6 of the M7 missions last night after my son went to bed and my wife went to work (she's on night shift ATM). Got my first 'S' rank and 'A' and 'B' on all the rest, so I must be getting a bit better.

Quite enjoying the game. Playing the VF-17D. A bit disappointed that the designers made the same mistake as with VF-X2 in that they made the VF-17's gunpod a beam weapon, insted of a 7 barreled 30mm.

One thing that's strange is that after completing one of the M7 missions, I seemed to unlock the big and small Vajra and VF-171, but then they disappeared again and I couldn't find them. No idea why they were unlocked (if that is the case) during an M7 mission, or where they went to?

Also, what if anything is talking to the operator during a mission supposed to do?

Graham

Shouldn't they be in the Frontier era? You unlock the vajra units when u complete the frontier era. You should be able to select them in the new missions appearing below the final mission as SMS.

I still have not unlocked battle frontier and vf-27 despite completing all missions (except the GULD EX one.... and the gauntlets)

I finished the game yesterday. Couldn't clear the ace and enemy gauntlets yet though. I am abit disappointed that the Frontier arc seemed very half-done. The campaign ends with the part where Alto and Brera save Ranka from the Vajra queen. That's it. :angry: And like Graham said, there's NO fast or armored packs for the VF-25s which sucks since its heavily featured in the anime series....there just seems to be no reason not to have them. I finished the Frontier missions including the vajra ones but haven't seem to unlocked the VF-27 nor the battle frontier (which has the gunship mounted on the right shoulder. Interesting)

I have yet to unlock the VF-0 as well....probably have to get a SS rank somewhere or something. Disappointing that the Zero did not get a proper campaign when they could have easily added in seeing how maps are recycled blatantly.

This game pales in comparison to GBU. GBU has tonnes of unlockables, generally better game depth, and differentiation between weapons and much more missions. This game is too short and now i'm only playing to unlock the various hard to get secrets.

I agree, GBU is a better game. However, it's the 4th GB game if I recall correctly, so they've had plenty of time to tune it. Now that they have so much effort put into Macross, I'm assuming they will make another, more complete game b/c they can use all the stuff from this game, throw in more fighters and maybe make fast packs/armor an add on option for any valk and make a couple new levels and BAM, new game in the spirit of the GB series. So it wouldn't shock me to hear them say they are making another one in a few months due out in a year or so. However, this game does have a few things that make it different and I like them.

So, quick summary...they put a lot of work into this one, they can port all that work directly into the next game, which makes the next one like 65% done or more and have PLENTY of material to put into the next game. So they most likely will make another.

As far as no armor for the frontier valks...that's just lazy on their part. Hell, half the Frontier pics IN THE GAME have armored versions of the valks...

Edited by protostar8

Graham

Having a beam gunpod on the VF-17 is really, really irritating. Maybe Kawamori really meant it to be a beam gunpod with seven 30mm barrels.

I agree, GBU is a better game. However, it's the 4th GB game if I recall correctly, so they've had plenty of time to tune it. Now that they have so much effort put into Macross, I'm assuming they will make another, more complete game b/c they can use all the stuff from this game, throw in more fighters and maybe make fast packs/armor an add on option for any valk and make a couple new levels and BAM, new game in the spirit of the GB series. So it wouldn't shock me to hear them say they are making another one in a few months due out in a year or so. However, this game does have a few things that make it different and I like them.

So, quick summary...they put a lot of work into this one, they can port all that work directly into the next game, which makes the next one like 65% done or more and have PLENTY of material to put into the next game. So they most likely will make another.

As far as no armor for the frontier valks...that's just lazy on their part. Hell, half the Frontier pics IN THE GAME have armored versions of the valks...

Sigh....they should complete it and release it later. The half completed Frontier campaign gives me the feeling that the dev staff didn't know what happens in frontier after eps 14 and the ppl on top pressured them to release the game ASAP.

Anyway....i completed all the Extra missions on SS except one or 2. Unlocked VF-0S, Glavil, Bodolza, Vritai and the Macross SDF-1. Still no sign of VF-27 and Battle Frontier. :(

So which version of the VF-171EX is in the game, the standard version, or Alto's Squadron Leader version with extra armor (or Protect Gear as they call it IIRC).

Graham

Standard version. Can't really tell though.

Having a beam gunpod on the VF-17 is really, really irritating. Maybe Kawamori really meant it to be a beam gunpod with seven 30mm barrels.

Beams can't hit crap in this game. They're pointless. >_<

But a fully upgraded YF-21 kicks serious a** and is broken. My YF-21 was used to beat most of the Extra Missions. The gunpods are super accurate , fast rate of fire, lotsa ammo, and damages pretty mad!

But a fully upgraded YF-21 kicks serious a** and is broken. My YF-21 was used to beat most of the Extra Missions. The gunpods are super accurate , fast rate of fire, lotsa ammo, and damages pretty mad!

Is there much difference between the YF-21 & VF-22?

Graham

I'm thinking that we only get half the Frontier missions, as the game developers were probably only given the Frontier storyline up to the halfway mark.

The end of the series may not have even been finalised by then.

Still no excuse for no armored and super packs though.

Graham

Okay. For everyone saying beams are useless, I think you may not be using them correctly. One thing I haven't seen mentioned by people about controls is that for beam weapons, if you hold the square button down, it will begin to "lead" the target and pretty much become a guaranteed hit w/ the exceptions of bosses and a couple of enemies. I think beam weapons can be a devastating weapon (and can easily "break" the game if used correctly). That's how you can basically beat GBU if you use something like that. I've found it to work fairly well here too.

Is there much difference between the YF-21 & VF-22?

Graham

There probably is in terms of stats but not sure. Weapons are the same....but the SP move is different. YF-21 has the broken GULD-RAM and the VF-22 Max/Miria is the standard weapon barrage or melee chain.

Anyway whoever's on Xlinkkai and wants to play a game can add my xtag, "WoLF-[x]". No room created for MAF yet but guess we can just meet somewhere and see how it goes.

Okay. For everyone saying beams are useless, I think you may not be using them correctly. One thing I haven't seen mentioned by people about controls is that for beam weapons, if you hold the square button down, it will begin to "lead" the target and pretty much become a guaranteed hit w/ the exceptions of bosses and a couple of enemies. I think beam weapons can be a devastating weapon (and can easily "break" the game if used correctly). That's how you can basically beat GBU if you use something like that. I've found it to work fairly well here too.

Tried that but didn't seem to work to well neither. Hmmm.

There probably is in terms of stats but not sure. Weapons are the same....but the SP move is different. YF-21 has the broken GULD-RAM and the VF-22 Max/Miria is the standard weapon barrage or melee chain.

Weapons actually aren't the same. Well, yeah, Max's VF-22 has the same missiles that spam a single target if you hold the button down that the YF-21 has. Miria's VF-22 has the missiles that can lock on to a bunch of targets when you hold the button.

But yeah, the big difference is that the YF-21 has a super move that can take out most enemies in a single hit when you hit Triangle+Circle. As powerful as that is, though, and as helpful in getting S-Ranks as it is, it's not as game-bustingly powerful as those of you who haven't played the Gundam games might think. Quebeley had a funnel attack special move that also took down most enemies with one barrage... the difference being that you can't really miss with it, and you can often hit more than one target.

Weapons actually aren't the same. Well, yeah, Max's VF-22 has the same missiles that spam a single target if you hold the button down that the YF-21 has. Miria's VF-22 has the missiles that can lock on to a bunch of targets when you hold the button.

But yeah, the big difference is that the YF-21 has a super move that can take out most enemies in a single hit when you hit Triangle+Circle. As powerful as that is, though, and as helpful in getting S-Ranks as it is, it's not as game-bustingly powerful as those of you who haven't played the Gundam games might think. Quebeley had a funnel attack special move that also took down most enemies with one barrage... the difference being that you can't really miss with it, and you can often hit more than one target.

But here's the thing. You can see it when Quebeley's attack comes, giving you enough time to block. The YF-21's attack , you have almost no chance to block it as it comes to you at blinding speed. You can only dash at the last moment or attempt a block, which i have yet to succeed at either but the AI seems to be able to do the dodging. :lol:

Anyway whoever's on Xlinkkai and wants to play a game can add my xtag, "WoLF-[x]". No room created for MAF yet but guess we can just meet somewhere and see how it goes.

Tried that but didn't seem to work to well neither. Hmmm.

arrrhhhhhh BROKEN GULD RAM

sorry sorry, doube post. :(

So does his 21 Shed the arms and legs to actually have the broken mode?

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

About Ace Frontier not being as polished as the GB games, for a (hopefully) first gen game in the series, it's already above Gundam Battle Royale (second gen in that series), so it's off to an awesome start. Hell, the PSP can pull off a surprisingly awesome Itano Circus, that in itself is a great feat.

I've been playing since yesturday afternoon on & off, and I'm partway into the 7 arc. I'm very impressed with where this games at, and can easily see much more content being added in future revs. One change I'd like to see, an actually Macross style missile lock sound being added. But as it stands, the missile lock is implemented perfectly for the different types. Another nice touch, the VF-19 Kai is equipped with missiles, never to be used by Basara :) What I hope for in the next game, aside from proper fast pack varients for Frontier mecha, are era seperations for TV & DYRL, Zero, an original inbetween era with the 9, 3000, etc, Dynamite, II, more songs for the FB mecha, A Sheryl varient VF-25, a Sharon Apple varient Macross (nice touch with the controls going wonky btw), Graham, hell, there are so many possabilities.

One other achievement this game has, wigns in battroid. Again I laugh at robotech battle cry :)

BTW, has anyone figured out to set up multi-player campaign? I thought there was supposed to be a co-op for going thorugh stages.

BTW, what difference does the pilot stat change make at the very beginning during character creation. I dodn't play with it because I had no idea what it did. Also, is there a list of what the different pilot skills do?

BTW, what difference does the pilot stat change make at the very beginning during character creation. I dodn't play with it because I had no idea what it did. Also, is there a list of what the different pilot skills do?

I never bothered to find out...not in GBU not here. And neither does it affect me in combat. Haha. In any case almost all my stats are already maxed out at 99.

I was messing around playing with the SDF-1. Melee attack does the Daedalus Attack...which is kinda hilarious because after it punches, it falls over and lands on its knees. :lol:

---orz <<--- macross

I found some MAF rooms on Xlink but i think they are japanese and they have their own friends since i can't read what they are typing and i'm usually kicked out of the room. :(

Have not tried multiplayer.

On one of the early M7 missions, I think it’s around the 4th or 5th mission, there are some boxes in a crater on a moon. What are you supposed to do on this mission?

No matter how many Fz-109A I destroy or how quickly I destroy them or destroy Gigil in his Fz-109F, I always only get a ‘B’ ranking. In all other missions I’ve either got an ‘A’ or an ’S’, so I think I must be missing something.

Graham