Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

Ahh, very nice gameplay from just playing the training missions. I took a trip down to Shibuya to pick it up...maybe I picked the wrong store, but geez, 5040 yen! But...I love it! It has all of the best songs from Macross! The graphics are pretty good too, I was thrown off by the little intro video in which nothing looked very good. YF-19 baby! w00t! :lol:

It's about as I expected... boring gameplay with enough stuff to unlock to keep you coming back.

Controls and lock-on are poor, but only really cause a problem on the indoor levels.

Judging it purely as a game it's not very good, but Macross fans will like it a lot because of all the Valkyries, music, etc.

Hmm, so what's the big secret with the VF-19 Kai, obvioiusly Basara doesn't use normal attacks.

Also, how does the missile lock on work? VFX-2 & the PS2 Macross game had the best lock ons, with how long you hold down the button effecting how many targets you lock, and how many missiles you launch. I'm assuming it uses the more blah push button launch missile storm option though.

Hmm, so what's the big secret with the VF-19 Kai, obvioiusly Basara doesn't use normal attacks.

Also, how does the missile lock on work? VFX-2 & the PS2 Macross game had the best lock ons, with how long you hold down the button effecting how many targets you lock, and how many missiles you launch. I'm assuming it uses the more blah push button launch missile storm option though.

You can :

1.) fire missiles blindly by tapping the circle button and they will seek targets automatically.

2a.) hold down circle and it will lock on to multiple targets (like the PS2 game)

2b.) for some valkyies if you hold down the circle, the missiles will launch rapidly without lockon.

You can :

1.) fire missiles blindly by tapping the circle button and they will seek targets automatically.

2a.) hold down circle and it will lock on to multiple targets (like the PS2 game)

2b.) for some valkyies if you hold down the circle, the missiles will launch rapidly without lockon.

That depends on what you pick actually, the VF-1 has two kinds of missiles, the ones that ripple fire are best for short-range. Also, you will here a little beep to know you're locked on, not much of a visual cue unlike past games. I hope they come out with another for 360 or PS3 in the near future, I can only imagine how good it'll look. Right now I'm stuck on Hikaru, oh wellz. One thing I really like that the Gundam battle games lacked(well the ones I played) was the option to paint your VF. I like how the VF-171 comes with Gamlin's colors. The YF-19 comes with the VF-X Ravens scheme on it. The game uses the exact same engine as the Gundam ones, no surprise there really. The gameplay is pretty good IMO, especially for a PSP, I just wished that the game had a push-button weapon toggle instead of holding down the L button. In Gundam it worked because you had a shield, I'm not sure how the later VFs work with the whole shield thing. It's fun either way, a way to pass the time, when I got home, I did a few minor things and got absorbed playing it and didn't stop until 6PM over here. Do some of you find yourselves humming along with the BGM while you play? :wacko::lol:

I've spent about an hour with the game myself and everything is great except the controls. Its annoying how if you're flying away from the enemy and transform into mech to shoot at them, once you transform into fighter again you keep flying in the direction you were going before. If you turn around to shoot the enemy then upon transformation back to fighter the plane should go in that direction. Anyone who played the ps2 game will know what I'm talking about.

Everything else is great. The graphics look great for the psp, the music is of course awesome and its just fun playing in the macross universe. However, it looks like the ps2 will remain the king of macross games for now.

I'll put some more time into it and see if my impressions change, but these are my first impressions.

Just picked up a slim PSP and the game. The girl in the shop said it had IIRC 3.95 firmware, but when I put in the game to play, the PSP wouldn't let me play it and told me I needed to install 4.05, which it did automatically after I selected yes.

Bear in mind, I'm a total PSP newbie and know nothing about the various firmwares. Hope I didn't do anything too wrong?

Anyway, although I've played all the Japanese Macross games before without trouble, I did feel a bit intimidated by all the Japanese text in the menus. I hope somebody will be able to provide translations soon.

I wasn't able to find the tutorial mode, that people have been talking about, but I tried something called freeplay. No idea what was happening. There seemed to be 4 Valks in the play area. I just flew around for a while without shooting anything and without being shot and then the game just ended......huh?

Confused!!!!!!

Only had like 15 minutes to play.

Hopefully I'll be able to puzzle it out tomorrow.

Graham

Havent ventured into the campaigns yet, got too busy playing in freeplay mode. Looks like hours of fun.

@ Graham: Freeplay (as far as I have played ) is a 4 way death match with 3,5,10,15,20 minute rounds. Its kind of like quake when you die you just respawn.

Edited by adrianop

It's about as I expected... boring gameplay with enough stuff to unlock to keep you coming back.

Controls and lock-on are poor, but only really cause a problem on the indoor levels.

Judging it purely as a game it's not very good, but Macross fans will like it a lot because of all the Valkyries, music, etc.

Yeah, but you didn't like the Gundam Battle games either, so...

As someone who did, I think this is probably the best Macross game to date.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that the controls are a little sluggish compared to the Gundam Battle games.

Just picked up a slim PSP and the game. The girl in the shop said it had IIRC 3.95 firmware, but when I put in the game to play, the PSP wouldn't let me play it and told me I needed to install 4.05, which it did automatically after I selected yes.

Bear in mind, I'm a total PSP newbie and know nothing about the various firmwares. Hope I didn't do anything too wrong?

Anyway, although I've played all the Japanese Macross games before without trouble, I did feel a bit intimidated by all the Japanese text in the menus. I hope somebody will be able to provide translations soon.

I wasn't able to find the tutorial mode, that people have been talking about, but I tried something called freeplay. No idea what was happening. There seemed to be 4 Valks in the play area. I just flew around for a while without shooting anything and without being shot and then the game just ended......huh?

Confused!!!!!!

Only had like 15 minutes to play.

Hopefully I'll be able to puzzle it out tomorrow.

Graham

When you start a campaign, you pick your story, then you're taken to the hanger. You know it's the hanger because the word "HANGER" is splayed across the screen. You can either hit circle to go to the mission select, or press left or right to select another aspect of the game. The most important here will be player and partner, where you assign your characters mecha, tune the mecha, and color the mecha, as well as select pilot skills. If you already tapped circle when "HANGER" is on the screen, you can still move between the items with the L and R shoulder buttons.

If you do go to mission select, pushing left or right will change the era to any you've unlocked, or bring up the tutorial missions.

On the player screen (or the partner screen), you can push up or down on the d-pad to highlight either the Valkyrie head, the helmet, or the spray can. If you have the Valkyrie head highlighted, pushing left or right will scroll through the mecha you have unlocked. Press circle to assign one to your pilot. Press square to enter tuning mode. Press left or right to pick an aspect of tuning... basic stats, followed by your primary weapon, all your secondary weapons, then your melee. I don't have those translated yet, but I'll post them when I do.

If you highlight the helmet, pressing left or right will let you select between the pilot you created, and any pilots you've unlocked. If you press square, you can pick your pilot's skill. Sorry, don't have those translated yet either.

If you highlight the spray can, you can change your mecha's color. Scroll through them with left or right... there's one default, and three customs. Assign a color with circle. If you want to customize a color yourself, pick one of the custom colors (you can't change the defaults) and press square. Then you can highlight three colors and change them, but you can't change patters or anything.

Yeah, but you didn't like the Gundam Battle games either, so...

As someone who did, I think this is probably the best Macross game to date.

One thing I have noticed, though, is that the controls are a little sluggish compared to the Gundam Battle games.

You like it better than the PS2 version, really? Granted, it has more stuff to unlock... but the gameplay is just so... plain.

The missions rarely consist of anything more than shoot this, shoot this, shoot this, mission complete. Most of the difficulty in the levels comes from inherent problems in the game itself; such as the levels being too small, or the shoddy control and poor camera making indoors levels a chore.

For a licensed anime game it's not bad, but it's still not anything great. If it didn't have the Macross name attached to it, it wouldn't be worth anybody's time.

Is there a way to switch the controls so you can steer with the analog nub instead of the dpad?

yes, go to options.

When you're in the button layout where you see the default d-pad buttons just press the analog and it will replace the d-pad movements with the analog. You have to do this to every direction.

You like it better than the PS2 version, really? Granted, it has more stuff to unlock... but the gameplay is just so... plain.

The missions rarely consist of anything more than shoot this, shoot this, shoot this, mission complete. Most of the difficulty in the levels comes from inherent problems in the game itself; such as the levels being too small, or the shoddy control and poor camera making indoors levels a chore.

For a licensed anime game it's not bad, but it's still not anything great. If it didn't have the Macross name attached to it, it wouldn't be worth anybody's time.

Yeah, I do. I don't think that the PS2 game offered up anything better in terms of overall gameplay, it just put more of the emphasis on the Ace Combat-style flight simmish aspects. I know a lot of board members here seem to prefer that in a Macross game, but none of them have quite lived up to Ace Combat, so I'd prefer it get the Battroid combat down.

It could be deeper, sure, but I like the shoot this, shoot this, shoot this, mission complete gameplay. It's a good fit for the PSP. I also think that while the PS2 and VF-X games had some stages that emphasized fighter mode and some that emphasized gerwalk/battroid, I think that Ace Frontier does the best job of making all three modes work in the same stage.

My thought basically that it's a pretty good game. If you were hoping for something more like the PS2 version or with better flight sim aspects, you might be disappointed, and if you're a fan of the Gundam Battle games, you'll probably like it more, but taken for what it is, it's a good game.

I was playing this as a Destroid simulator until I got to the part where you fight Hikaru and he instantly kicks my ass every time. Is there a trick to beating him? I tried playing as a Valkyrie but I cannot control the fighter mode at all. I don't get why the camera doesn't follow you. You end up spinning your jet around and so I am somehow looking at the nose of my jet while supposedly controlling it. I don't get it at all. Why doesn't it work like a normal flight sim's camera? Any tips on this, guys?

I was playing this as a Destroid simulator until I got to the part where you fight Hikaru and he instantly kicks my ass every time. Is there a trick to beating him? I tried playing as a Valkyrie but I cannot control the fighter mode at all. I don't get why the camera doesn't follow you. You end up spinning your jet around and so I am somehow looking at the nose of my jet while supposedly controlling it. I don't get it at all. Why doesn't it work like a normal flight sim's camera? Any tips on this, guys?

The camera doesn't bother me. It reminds me of VF-X2. You could try holding L and hitting R... it should take the lock off. Also, do the tutorials. You'll get 500 tuning points for every mecha. You can also re-do levels to get more tuning points for the Valkyrie before you fight Hikaru. Another thing to do is save your special attacks until Hikaru comes out, then hold L and hit Triangle to do a special melee attack. For that fight, you're better off sticking to gerwalk and battroid.

Here is a trick that will serve you well for tough fights. Knock the character down to about half HP (you may have to play them several times to be able to last that long), then do the special and it should kill them. If you do the special while they have full strength, then it might not kill them and they will be left with low health. Low health bosses = trouble b/c they start doing their specials, which will eat you alive usually. Wait til you do the M+ arc and there is a mission where the YF-21 will one shot you with full health if he does his special (which is what he does at lower health).

I haven't tried this view, but you could always try the cockpit view instead. There may be an option to turn off the tracking too.

I've tried all 4 storylines, and I have found Mac 7 the most difficult one :blink: With Basara getting in the way, I got deprived of Spiritia... I must say that's a nice way to lose... not actually getting killed hehehe

When you start a game, you'll have to choose Mac, Mac +, Mac 7 or Mac F and the missions of that story will be the only ones available. But if you go back to the main menu and choose another, you can pick which story to play, you can have all 4 available in the "Hanger".

Graham: firmware 4.05 is the latest one that Sony released. It doesn't add much, but the PSP will bug you to update the firmware.

Does someone know how to unlock the last training options?

OK, spent an hour on the bus this morning while travelling to work getting to grips with the game. Currently going through the tutorial missions. The VF-171 is a blast.

A couple of questions: -

1) I went to the custom controls screen and changed the direction controls from the D-pad to the joystick, but when I play the tutorial mission, directional control reverts back to the default D-pad settings. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I haven’t tried to see if the custom control settings work in the proper missions yet.

2) On the screen for customizing the color of your Valk, on the left side of the screen there are three different sections numbered 1,2 & 3 for changing the color. No. 1 changes the main color of the Valk. What do 2 & 3 do?

Graham

There is no timeframe missions is there? I hope it's free for all with my magically unlimited micro missiles and gunpod ammo to clean up 100%. :p

There's only one for me so far, which is the infamous "Transformation" episode. Cop out though since we never see the SDF-1 actually DO anything. No Macross Cannon fire. No Daedalus attack. Nada. What a cop out. <_<

I was looking at my war record and realised there's no VF-19 ,YF-21 nor VF-27 displayed in the list of mecha that I can unlock. Does this mean i can never get those mecha in the game?

OK, spent an hour on the bus this morning while travelling to work getting to grips with the game. Currently going through the tutorial missions. The VF-171 is a blast.

A couple of questions: -

1) I went to the custom controls screen and changed the direction controls from the D-pad to the joystick, but when I play the tutorial mission, directional control reverts back to the default D-pad settings. Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? I haven’t tried to see if the custom control settings work in the proper missions yet.

I think that's normal. I remember it bugged me in the Gundams. Try the first regular mission and see.

For the record, double-tapping the d-pad does a sort of side-step dodge. Honestly, I think it's best if you don't treat Ace Frontier as a flight game, and keep movement on the d-pad.

2) On the screen for customizing the color of your Valk, on the left side of the screen there are three different sections numbered 1,2 & 3 for changing the color. No. 1 changes the main color of the Valk. What do 2 & 3 do?

The trim. For example, say you're using Hikaru's VF-1J. You can change the white part to black, and change the red stripe to green. On VF's, like Hikaru's VF-1J, that seem to only have those two colors, the third might change the visor.

There's only one for me so far, which is the infamous "Transformation" episode. Cop out though since we never see the SDF-1 actually DO anything. No Macross Cannon fire. No Daedalus attack. Nada. What a cop out. <_<

I was looking at my war record and realised there's no VF-19 ,YF-21 nor VF-27 displayed in the list of mecha that I can unlock. Does this mean i can never get those mecha in the game?

Did you finish the Mac+ storyline (I'm assuming that you chose the YF-19)? I chose the YF-21, and after finishing the Mac+ storyline, I got the YF-19.

I've finished all the stories but Frontier, and I saw hide nor hair of the VF-19F of VF-19S.

Hmm, But we get to use the Macross herself (from reports...) , so i'm hoping we can recreate some of that goodness.

lol, i doubt the SDF-1 would be variable to the player, but that would be nice.

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

You may find these translations from gamefaqs.com useful:

UPGRADE MENUS

>Mechanic

First Tab:

HP: (Health Points, duh)

Range Defence: (Defence against ranged attacks) [Direct-translation: Shooting Defence]

Melee Defence: (Defence against melee attacks)

Mobility(?): (Increases the mech's speed)

Thruster: (Increases the thruster's duration)

Barasosa...?: (Enhances the mech's balance)

Rotation: (Increases the mech's rotation speed)

Radar: (Increases the effective range of the radar)

2nd Tab [Main Weapon] ----> 3rd, 4th and 5th [sub Weapons]:

Power: (Increases the weapon's power)

Accuracy: (Increases the weapon's accuracy/aim)

Rapid/Multi-fire: (Increases the maximum number of shots of multi-fire weapons)

Range: (Improves the weapon's effective range)

Speed: (Increases the speed of bullet/shot/weapon/fire, w/e you wanna call it)

Reload: (Shortens the time it takes to reload)

Ammo: (Increases the number of ammos)

Last Tab [Melee]:

Power: (Increases the attack power)

Accuracy: (Increases the weapon's accuracy/aim)

--------------------

>Pilot

Stamina

Shooting

Melee/Grapple

Defence

Speed

Focus/Concentration (?)

Awakening

Pilot Special Skills

1st Row:

Rolling Plus: Can roll up to 3 times in fighter mode

Steel Wall: 2x Defense strength, will not wobble/knockback being attacked

Thousand Mile Eye: Can lock on to all enemies on the map

Taunt: Enemy attack strengh 2x, pilot experience 2x

Dash Plus: Can continuous dash one more time

Chaff: redirect missiles locked onto you

2nd Row:

Repair: Repairs self and friendly plane in vicinity by 1/5th

Anima Spiritia: Friendly unit all skills 1.5x

Drop Missile: Intercepts incoming missiles. *Some units cannot use

Awakening: Reload all weapons, decrease period between attacks, become invincible

Unlimited Boost: Stops increase of boost gauge

Grapple Descendant/DNA: Grapple attack power 3x, cannot guard

3rd Row:

Love, Do you remember: Decrease strength of Zentran weapons and units carrying Zentraedi. Strengths other weapons

Circus Flying: Can fly with units that have no flight capability

Shock Guard: Repels enemy grapple attacks when guarded

My Friends: Friendly unit all skills 1.25x

Ace: Attack strength, Speed and Boost amount 1.5x

Reflection: Reflect beam type attacks. Nullify ballistic type attacks

4th Row:

---still unlocking---

-------------------------

>Color Edit

Default, Set 1, Set 2, Set 3 (left and right, press [ ] to go into color edit)

On the right:

Color 1 - Shoulders and head, could differ from mech to mech. (not completely sure)

Color 2 - This one's for the mech's body.

Color 3 - The 'eyes', or w/e you wanna call them.

Start Menu from the Hangar:

- Back to era select -> First menu ask you if you want to exit -> Second menu ask you if you want to save

- Control option

- Load

- Save

- Network mode

- Return to top menu

Controls

Move: D-Pad

Boost: X

Main Weapon: Square

Sub Weapon: Circle

Melee/Roll: Triangle

Lock-on/Switch Target: R

Guard/Direct towards target: L

Fighter Mode: Up on Analog

Gerwalk Mode: Left or Right on Analog

Battroid Mode: Down on Analog

L+Triangle: Charge Attack

L+ Circle: Multi-Lock Attack

L+X: High Boost

Square+X: Pilot Special

Circle+Triange: Mech Special

L+Square = Switch Sub Weapon

L+R Remove lockon

EX Mission Passwords From Famitsu magazine is : LAMGV

Edited by Sorata

well, i been playing this a lot all day and yesterday. i beat all of the macross storylines, and now into the extra section. it gets pretty hard here as missions make u fight multiple valkyires and has like a time limit of 20 mins. pretty hard now since its so long and my valkyire gets damage and dont have enough HP for later enemies that show up. ask me any questions about this game if need help.

Okay, I finished every story (which, for three of the four stories, adds some extra missions where you can play for the other side... only able to finish the Vajra missions...), and the first two EX missions. I'm still missing some mecha, but I'm throwing in the towel for the night. One thing I'm starting to miss from the Gundam Battle games is those few really stand out mecha, like the Quebeley. It doesn't matter really which mecha you pick, a lot of the boss pilots get REALLY hard to hit. If I had to pick a favorite, though, maybe the VF-25G, runners up being the VF-22, VF-171, and VF-17S.

Oddly, despite the VF-171EX's appearance in the game, the Frontier story seems to end about halfway through the series (around the episode after Grace used the Dimension Eater on that planet and Alto was trying to rescue Ranka from the Vajra ship).

So, what I'd like to see for the next Macross Ace game:

-More mecha. While it's true I'm missing some, I didn't see a couple of paints for the VF-1 family, no armored Thunderbolt, no armored VF-25, no FAST packs at all aside from the VF-1S and VF-11C, and while we're at it, how 'bout the VF-4, VF-9, VF-14, VF-3000, VF-5000, VA-3, VB-6, and VF-19? Macross II mecha? The Stealth Wing Experiments? Destroid Cheyenne or Cheyene II?

-A more complete storyline for Macross Frontier.

-A storyline for Macross Zero.

-EX missions for Stealth Wing Experiment, Macross II and M3.

hehe ive been playing the macross campaign with the reg.VF-1D hehe

Know that you can max out the points you give your VF, cuz i have pts rightnow and cant upgrade it anymore.

list of VF's

VF-1A

VF-1D

VF-1A max

VF-1J

VF-1J(A) armor

VF-1S(F)

those and acouple misc i got atm.

BTW* breetai's a bitch lol

Edited by punkr13