Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

If so, is it difficult to play on the PSP with several controls missing?

Not really... it IS more complicated than using a Playstation control, but nothing that renders the game unplayable. I found out last weekend that the analog joystick works as the two missing shoulder buttons... :huh:

If somebody is interested in this game for a modded PSP, PM me and I'll upload somewhere for you :)

Disclaimer: I own the original disc, so this would be like lending the game to someone, right? :rolleyes:

Not really... it IS more complicated than using a Playstation control, but nothing that renders the game unplayable. I found out last weekend that the analog joystick works as the two missing shoulder buttons... :huh:

If somebody is interested in this game for a modded PSP, PM me and I'll upload somewhere for you :)

Disclaimer: I own the original disc, so this would be like lending the game to someone, right? :rolleyes:

I honestly wouldn't mind getting that from you if you upload it somewhere.

P.S. - I actually own VFX, VFX-2, Macross Plus, Macross side scroller, and Macross M3 (for dreamcast), so I also have no issues with it.

I honestly wouldn't mind getting that from you if you upload it somewhere.

P.S. - I actually own VFX, VFX-2, Macross Plus, Macross side scroller, and Macross M3 (for dreamcast), so I also have no issues with it.

If you have the original disc you can convert it to a format playable on the PSP very easily, there's a number of programs that will do it.

Who has Xlinkai? Who wants to multiplay when the game comes out? :D

I was a bit disappointed when I read that the game would use the local PSP network thing instead of real online play for multiplayer mode, but when I read that post and did a search, I got all excited again, so for those who don't know:

http://www.teamxlink.co.uk/

XLink Kai: Evo VII tricks your console into thinking that the other users it is connecting to over the Internet, are actually part of a Local Area Network. This is the basis of system-link gaming, where friends would gather around in the same house and play over 2 or more consoles. With XLink Kai: Evo VII, you now have the option to test your skills out with anybody in the world.

Pretty damn cool. We should all get this (I still haven't read most of the info, so I don't actually know how good or easy it is to use)!

If you have the original disc you can convert it to a format playable on the PSP very easily, there's a number of programs that will do it.

That's true. I'm just kinda lazy when it comes to doing stuff like that. I won't make any lame excuses for not having done that already.

And about Xlink Kai....it's a great concept, but it has lots of problems when it comes to routers unless one of the newer versions has fixed that. For instance, my router (actually fairly common for it's age) is not supported (or at least wasn't 6 months ago, I haven't checked recently). That seems to be a major issue with the program.

Edited by protostar8

I was a bit disappointed when I read that the game would use the local PSP network thing instead of real online play for multiplayer mode, but when I read that post and did a search, I got all excited again, so for those who don't know:

Pretty damn cool. We should all get this (I still haven't read most of the info, so I don't actually know how good or easy it is to use)!

Wow, that sure is a great gimmick. I'll be giving that link to me mate, he also knows how to copy original discs and smacks em straight

onto the memory card so he can go (and try very hard) to beat me in Valkyrie combat. :p

We can have weekend MacrossWorld MAF touneys!!! With saved replays for all to see! (maybe)

Its really easy to use. Its just like MSN and has game channels for many games. I suppose they'll make a Ace Frontier one when the game comes out otherwise we just share our xlinkai IDs or something.

That's true. I'm just kinda lazy when it comes to doing stuff like that. I won't make any lame excuses for not having done that already.

And about Xlink Kai....it's a great concept, but it has lots of problems when it comes to routers unless one of the newer versions has fixed that. For instance, my router (actually fairly common for it's age) is not supported (or at least wasn't 6 months ago, I haven't checked recently). That seems to be a major issue with the program.

Don't go with the router solution. Buy a wi-fi adapter, plug it into your USB and you're set. Use the GW-US54MINI2G for guranteed and hassle free connectivity. More info here:

http://www.planex.net/support/xlink/index.html

Works with all known consoles like PS3, Wii and Xbox360 too!

Two more days...

Well, I have a 1st gen PSP with modded firmware, and I'll keep it that way. But there's really only a handful of PSP games I've been into, so I'm thinking about getting a PSP-3000. Play my games on with the bigger screen, or hook it up to my TV, maybe, and keep the old PSP for homebrew.

SO which Valk is everyone looking forward to piloting?

VF-25 Armored or Super.

VF-17.

Not sure if the VF-171 is in the game.

Not interested in the VF-1. Too old tech for my tastes. :D

Might be interesting to play a red Vajra.

Graham

VF-22 is confirmed. There have been several pics posted already of Max's pale blue VF-22 from M7 and Max wearing hs M7 flight helmet.

I may be remembering wrongly, but I'm pretty sure that Milia's red VF-22 is also in the game as well.

Graham

The only VF I'm really looking forward to is the Fire Valkyrie, I'm pretty curious to see how it handles and besides it hasn't been in a video game yet (I'm gonna ignore the GBC game).

I plan on picking it up after school Friday, hopefully the Bic Camera near Shibuya station has it or else I'll have to go on a city-wide hunt.

VF-22 is confirmed. There have been several pics posted already of Max's pale blue VF-22 from M7 and Max wearing hs M7 flight helmet.

I may be remembering wrongly, but I'm pretty sure that Milia's red VF-22 is also in the game as well.

Graham

Well, it's good to know my favorite VF is in the game, but I'm crossing my fingers on a Diamond Force paint.

Just got the iso. The first mission in the Frontier section has you flying a VF-171 battling vajra to Sheryl's "Don't Be Late". So much win :D . Pretty much the same controls as the Gundam Battle games. With default controls, the analog is used for: left/right for gerwalk, up for fighter, and down for battroid. Also, it has the wingman commands just like Gundam Battle Universe did. Still haven't played enough to take in the awesomeness, I gotta start over in chronological order at the SDF Macross section, I just had to jump into the Frontier section to try their valks :lol: . Looks like I'll be falling asleep in class tomorrow hehe.

Edit: Here's how I get my psp fat to display on my tv. Needless to say, scaling the psp's screen up to something that big makes it look noticeably crappier =/

post-1073-1223449341_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mellow Yellow

Fighter mode is like Gundam Battle flight forms with the barrel rolls, but I don't think the mobile suits could do loops like the macross fighters can. I quite like gerwalk mode, it's quite versatile with the shooting in one direction while flying in another (naturally, lol) The turn speed and radius is pretty slow and wide in fighter, but that's probably because my valk is still stock and none of the stats are tweaked yet. You can also keep your camera focused on your target with the L trigger while turning, just like the Gundam games. Since this is macross, you can give the d-pad a quick double tap down for a short gerwalk slowdown type maneuver. Also, if you have the sp to spare, you can use a special ranged attack to go gerwalk while you fire a salvo of missiles at your target and then back to fighter; it also has chest lasers! This is all with the VF-171, so it might be different for other fighters.

Edited by Mellow Yellow

Hey Mellow, i'm curious about your setup. How did you output the PSP to your laptop and then to your TV? Are you using the original SONY cables to output to your TV? How bout the laptop? :wacko:

Just got the iso. The first mission in the Frontier section has you flying a VF-171 battling vajra to Sheryl's "Don't Be Late". So much win :D . Pretty much the same controls as the Gundam Battle games. With default controls, the analog is used for: left/right for gerwalk, up for fighter, and down for battroid. Also, it has the wingman commands just like Gundam Battle Universe did. Still haven't played enough to take in the awesomeness, I gotta start over in chronological order at the SDF Macross section, I just had to jump into the Frontier section to try their valks :lol: . Looks like I'll be falling asleep in class tomorrow hehe.

Edit: Here's how I get my psp fat to display on my tv. Needless to say, scaling the psp's screen up to something that big makes it look noticeably crappier =/

Nice setup Mellow Yellow.

How is the fighter mode play. Is it decent, or is the game mostly geared towards battroid mode?

Graham

As a game based on the Gundam Battle engine, you might think it leans toward Battroid, but it's really quite balanced between the three modes. Having played Battle Chronicle/Universe, I can see they've integrated Valkyrie flight much better than the flying mobile suits. Each mode has its advantages depending on the level - Fighter is good all around, and GERWALK is a nice way to speed around on the ground and mow people down. One interesting touch is that when you go Battroid on a planet, you don't just stay in the air forever like in VF-X2 and you'll eventually land on the ground. Makes things a bit interesting because if you use Battroid you have to watch out that your moving target doesn't move out of your range as you fall.

Hey Mellow, i'm curious about your setup. How did you output the PSP to your laptop and then to your TV? Are you using the original SONY cables to output to your TV? How bout the laptop? :wacko:

I'm using a plugin called Remotejoy lite. Since the fat psp doesn't have any tv out, I connect my psp to my laptop with remotejoy through usb, then I use my HDMI out on the laptop to connect to the tv, though it makes the graphics look like VF-X1 on the tv lol

Are maps larger than thsoe in the gundam Battle games?

I'm not sure what Gundam Battle saves I have on my memstick... at minimum I have a Gundam Battle Universe save. So I hope to answer your questions about map size and bonuses in... about a half hour.