Macross Ace Frontier for the PSP.

We need someone to translate those article A.S.A.P. I'm predicting they will have some customization to the valk unit just like Gundam Battle Chronicles, if they do this will rocks :blink:

Hope we get a VF-17, VF-22 Max and VF-171. I'm guessing we'll get at least the first 2, as Gamlin and M7 era Max are shown in the article.

After thinking about it, I'm sorta glad it's coming on the PSP. Buying a PSP will certainly be far cheaper than having to buy a new PS3 or X-Box360.

Excuse my extreme ignorance on the subject, but is there any way to convert PSP games to play on a PS2?

Graham

Wow, very cool! I'd much rather see a Macross game on a next-gen system, but still, I'll definitely be buying this one!

Excuse my extreme ignorance on the subject, but is there any way to convert PSP games to play on a PS2?

Sadly, no. But on the bright side, the PSP has no region lock. It'll play japanese games with no hacking necessary.

Well, I guess that's an instant buy.

Not necessarily. With Macross games, pretty graphics alone does not always a good game make.

All the pics of Macross M3 in the game magazines made it look great, but game play and control sucked.

Still, graphically, this is looking pretty nice and the range of VFs is great.

Graham

Here's hoping that it plays like SDFM on the PS2!

On a different note, I've always liked the proportions of the 1990s valks whenever they appeared in videogames (less bulky and fat, unlike in the anime) and this one seems to continue the trend

Edited by d3v

Presumably the reverse is true and Japanese or Asian PSPs will play US games without modification?

Indeed. As with all portable game systems to date, there's no region encoding on any PSP games.

Now, PSP MOVIES are a different story. But no one cares about them anyways.

Presumably the reverse is true and Japanese or Asian PSPs will play US games without modification?

Graham

It is, my PSP is a 1st gen Japanese model and it plays US games just fine.

Anybody know from the article if this game is multi-player?

Also, is the PSP capable of multi-player games? Sorry, I know next to nothing about PSPs.

If yes, how does the PSP handle multi-player games, wireless, infra-red, bluetooth, plug-in connection cables?

Sorry, I'm really clueless about handheld systems.

Graham

So this game isn't being made by Banpresto (SRW/ACE) or Sega/AM-2 (double darn).

It's being done by the folks who made Gundam Battle Chronicle (PSP).

The gameplay mechanics look quite similar so I have a feeling they'll do a great job.

Also, is the PSP capable of multi-player games? Sorry, I know next to nothing about PSPs.

If yes, how does the PSP handle multi-player games, wireless, infra-red, bluetooth, plug-in connection cables?

Sorry, I'm really clueless about handheld systems.

Graham

the PSP is capable of multiplayer games. It can establish an ad-hoc wireless connection with other units nearby and the PSP can also connect to a wifi network.

Yep, looks like it supports 4-player multiplayer :) It looks like only ad-hoc mode is supported, not infrastructure mode (meaning you can't play multiplayer over the internet)

What intrigues me is that screen on the first page where it shows pilots with hearts next to them with some form of triangle with the words "LOVE" next to it. Does this mean, we get to make out own love triangles?

Excellent news, as Artdink did an excellent job with the recent Gundam PSP games (really solid multiplayer too). The only worry is how they'll handle the transformation element, as it was a little wonky in the Gundam games. They're an experienced developer though and they know the platform really well, so they aren't going in blind thankfully.

What intrigues me is that screen on the first page where it shows pilots with hearts next to them with some form of triangle with the words "LOVE" next to it. Does this mean, we get to make out own love triangles?

The "love triangle" is not the standard Macross love, but your friendship level with other characters. From the following pages, it looks like if your "love" level with other characters are higher, they'll join you in battles?

Here are some bits from the interview pages:

The team mentions there will be more than 40 vehicles, 30 characters, and currently more than 80 missions in the game (including versus missions). You'll be able to have 4-player battles like in the Gundam Battle series.

The name "Ace Frontier" of course ties into Macross Frontier and was approved by Kawamori.

You'll need to upgrade your valkyrie and also your piloting skills, like in Gundam Battle.

The game uses the Gundam Battle engine, and also a lot of the same staff. The main difference is the transforming mecha. They're trying to be able to make the valkyries move like they do in the original TV opening sequence (VF-1J vs. the regults in the city).

They were asked about Basara in the game. He won't fight and will probably yell "Why are you shooting at me?" if hit during the game, but he will be a music friendly play with speaker pods. Actually details are being kept secret.

They'll announce what songs will appear in the game soon.

The love triangle is your friendship/trust level with other characters, so no romances between Hikaru and Isamu and Alto.

Transformation will be controlled through the analog pad, and should react quickly so you can transform in mid-air (like the other games).

"Will you be able to control the Macross?" - To be answered in the future...

They're aiming to recreate the dog fight scenes.

Finally, the game is 60 percent complete. Release is scheduled for the fall.

I think it's time to save up for a PSP now...

I'm actually more excited that it's being made by Artdink than any of the previous Macross game developers. Yes, including Sega/AM2. While the Sega one was good for a Macross game, it was still pretty mediocre as far as games at large go. On the other hand, I'm a HUGE fan of the Gundam Battle games, and if it plays just like (and the screenshots do look very similar, just with a more Macross-y HUD) them it'll easily be the best of the Macross games. Perhaps this will be the start of a series of Macross Ace games? Well, if MAF follows suit with the Gundam Battle games, you can expect a TON of different VFs.

I'm actually more excited that it's being made by Artdink than any of the previous Macross game developers. Yes, including Sega/AM2. While the Sega one was good for a Macross game, it was still pretty mediocre as far as games at large go. On the other hand, I'm a HUGE fan of the Gundam Battle games, and if it plays just like (and the screenshots do look very similar, just with a more Macross-y HUD) them it'll easily be the best of the Macross games. Perhaps this will be the start of a series of Macross Ace games? Well, if MAF follows suit with the Gundam Battle games, you can expect a TON of different VFs.

I thought From Software did an excellent job of dealing with Macross mecha in AC3 (ACE2 wasn't half bad either). I agree that Artdink will most probably do a great job of this.

Ah, it looks so good now I want a PSP, but I can't afford. I could save money for one and this game but I am saving for when the 1/60 DX VF-25 comes out (yes I believe it will turn out well). Hmm.. well maybe I'll just end up playing it late.

I thought From Software did an excellent job of dealing with Macross mecha in AC3 (ACE2 wasn't half bad either). I agree that Artdink will most probably do a great job of this.

Yeah, the ACE games were pretty good, but I was thinking of the purely Macross games (VF-X, M3, the Sega one). But I still like the Gundam Battle games better than the ACE games, so either way, I'm psyched. Between this and Megaman 9, I'm pretty psyched to be a gamer.