Stan Winston, RIP

Man another great one has passed. One of the innovators, most of the recent most popular monster movies and creatures are credited to him. From the Terminator to Predator to Aliens and countless more. The man was a true visionary and there are few like him left, everyone wants CGI now. You will be missed, and you were a master of the game. I am actually truly upset by this passing, though I didn't know him he touched all of our lives with his magic.

Holy Cow... and I find out about this on MW???

Stan I hope they bring you back as a Terminator in the future... and not the sexy kind.

*tips 40*

I dunno, I'm secure enough to handle a sexy Stan Winston cyborg.

:(

Oh man. It's so weird because I was just thinking about his book the other day. Sorry to hear this fella go.

OMG I was just reading the book the day before. I really wanted to be like that guy everything he did was great even if the story/films sucked.

Prop making is one area I would sell my soul to work in. A tragic loss to the whole film industry.

An absolute legend but at least he has achieved a kind of immortality through his work. In a world where physical SFX are generally going out the window in favor of CGI he MUST be remembered as a legend.

God protect Rob Bottin, John Dykstra, and all the other remaining legends of the traditional SFX.

Taksraven

You guys do realize that Winston not only co-founded Digital Domain with James Cameron, but founded his own company Stan Winston Digital, right?

Just checking, before this thread goes too far off the rails with the usual "OMG teh CG!" business.

You guys do realize that Winston not only co-founded Digital Domain with James Cameron, but founded his own company Stan Winston Digital, right?

Just checking, before this thread goes too far off the rails with the usual "OMG teh CG!" business.

Yeah he often used CGI to realise his charaters before they made them in solids, also had CGI compliment the physical stuff as in T3 and Zathura