Starship Troopers 3 toys.

Roger

Did you know that there was a Starship Troopers 3 movie coming? Did you know that there are going to be powered suits in it? Did you know that there are going to be toys of them?

Would you like to know more?

http://starship3.jp/news.html

(Yuck.)

Good Lord, Heaven All Mighty, WHY? WHY I ask you? I watched "Melrose Space" AKA Starship troopers and it was ok. Not great. I skipped #2 as I heard the reviews sucked and it went straight to video. But 3? And they have toys? Oh hell no.

Would you like to know more?

Awesome. <3

Good Lord, Heaven All Mighty, WHY? WHY I ask you? I watched "Melrose Space" AKA Starship troopers and it was ok. Not great. I skipped #2 as I heard the reviews sucked and it went straight to video. But 3? And they have toys? Oh hell no.

I actually loved the Starship Troopers film. If you take it as a parody of fascistic millitarism (as it was intended), it is really quite a good flick. Lots of self-reflexive black humor. The second film on the other hand, sucked.

I don't give two craps about all of Heilein's sociopolitical allegory... I just want to see the Mobile Infantry in powered armor.

I don't give two craps about all of Heilein's sociopolitical allegory... I just want to see the Mobile Infantry in powered armor.

I actually loved the Starship Troopers film. If you take it as a parody of fascistic millitarism (as it was intended), it is really quite a good flick. Lots of self-reflexive black humor. The second film on the other hand, sucked.

I'm doing my part!

*leaps onto a rampaging bug and dies*

I personally LOVE the first movie... it retains just enough of the book's feel to have the same messages if you look for them, and is full of really good action... I haven't watched the second one yet. I didn't realize there was an anime series... all I've seen are the first two eps of the CGI mini-movies, which are decent, but would be much better with more gritty and realistic sound-effects...

ZEEEEEEERRRGGGGGSSSS!!!!

Quickly, produce a bunch or terran marines!!!!!

We're talking about Starcraft 2, right?

Nooooo????? aaawwwwwww.... :(

Didn't even know there was a ST2 movie. One was really good, despite the cheesiness, with really cool action-packed scenes and enough politically-incorrect not-so-subtle statements.

I just wish Sony would release their stranglehold on the StarShip Troopers CGI cartoon and make a movie of the last 3-4 episodes of that great cartoon series.

That would be the day. The cartoon series was where it was at. Granted they had to tone down alot of things to make it somewhat appropriate for Saturday mornings, but even with that in mind it was a great series with pretty good character development, good action, and an overarching story that tied alot of things together. How much i would have loved to have seen them finish up the last story arc with a proper ending.

Official Trailer shows not this amour with the power...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7DTy_5ijV0...feature=related

OK; after watching the trailer, I have to admit-- I want to see this now. Even though it looks a little more over-the-top than the first film, it seems like it is trying to stay true to the first film's 'feel'.

It has to at least be good for a laugh or two. :rolleyes:

Is that Jolene Blalock? It is her according to IMDB. Now seeing the trailer, it is more goofy than action. I mean you can see the overacting... Casper is back? Worse than the ghost itself.

I think the trailer is SUPPOSED to be goofy. The original movie was very tongue-in-cheek. As the other posters have noted, it really is a parody of fascism.

I think the director, Verhoeven, was playing a nasty joke on Americans with the first movie. He was trying to show American audiences could get excited at watching a propaganda film just as the Germans were manipulated by Nazi films. Unfortunately, the film sorta flopped, so I guess the joke was on him!

The Nazi imagery in this trailer was over-the-top, though...

I read the book a long time ago, but is it me or the main character was always the social context? I could never quite relate to Johnny Rico or Carmen Ibañez, (even tho' we're supposed to be countrymen. I'm from Argentina too), they seemed devices to guide the reader trough the ST universe, more like actual characters to me.

In the book they were actually supposed to be Filipino. Rico states at the end of the book that his native language is Tagalog. I think they changed their country to Argentina because Verhoeven wanted to use Aryan -- err, white people for the film.

I think characterization was always a Heinlein weak point. Starship Troopers is really a big polemic for right-wing libertarianism. I think he would have been deeply offended that Verhoeven made it into a Nazi propaganda film...

While I'd love to see a more faithful Starship Troopers movie with powered armour, I'd like even more to see an adaptation of Joe Haldeman's "Forever War". That also has combat with powered armour, but because Haldeman was an actual Vietnam vet (Heinlein never saw combat), it is both grittier and more anti-war than Starship Troopers. It wouldn't need any parody to make it interesting.

Edited by Daigoro

Hey, where's the new Athena class troopship, I can see they still going with the Rodger Young class on the trailer. And where's the nuke rifle we saw on the first movie? ^_^

I agree with most people, its better than ST 2. Darn, I was hoping to see some power armour when I read "Marauder" :angry:

While I'd love to see a more faithful Starship Troopers movie with powered armour, I'd like even more to see an adaptation of Joe Haldeman's "Forever War". That also has combat with powered armour, but because Haldeman was an actual Vietnam vet (Heinlein never saw combat), it is both grittier and more anti-war than Starship Troopers. It wouldn't need any parody to make it interesting.

And yet Starship Troopers is the only Scifi novel on 4 out of the 5 US Military Academies reading lists.

And yet Starship Troopers is the only Scifi novel on 4 out of the 5 US Military Academies reading lists.

That wouldn't be the least bit surprising if you'd read "The Forever War."

Think about it. Starship Troopers presents an "ideal" right-wing society of volunteer soldiers, fighting a righteous war with a well-run army. It's written by a former Naval Academy graduate who was discharged due to medical reasons before he could see any action in WW2.

In "The Forever War," the protagonist gets drafted by a lying government into a nightmarish war with virtually no chance of survival. It's written by a former combat engineer in Vietnam who, like his protagonist, was severely wounded in action and spent time recovering in an army hospital.

Hmm, now which book is a US military academy going to pick?

But seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if they picked Starship Troopers not for ideological reasons but because it is the earlier, more "seminal" work. The fact that "The Forever War" won both the Hugo and Nebula awards was probably irrelevant to them...

For me, I didn't find Starship Troopers particularly enjoyable as a story, but as a teenager it had a profound intellectual effect on me. I was already pretty libertarian, so I liked a lot of the ideas in the book, though I think Heinlein's ideal society couldn't possibly work as well as he imagines. (Flogging people for drunkenness?) But after reading The Forever War, I'd have to say it just blew Starship Troopers away as both entertainment and as a literary work. Mandela is a much more interesting character than Johnny Rico (who hardly seems to have any personality at all), and the situations he finds himself in were so much more memorable. I can hardly remember any of the "plot" in Starship Troopers, but many years later I can still vividly remember many parts of The Forever War.

Edited by Daigoro

Forever War was a great book, but there's another 'future-war' novel that I think would more easily make the transition from page to film-- John Steakley's Armor. This book reads like a darker version of Starship Troopers, and focuses more on the psychological than the political. Steakley's description of Power-Armor combat is incredible; I highly recommend that fans of either Starship Troopers or Forever War check it out.

Hey, where's the new Athena class troopship, I can see they still going with the Rodger Young class on the trailer. And where's the nuke rifle we saw on the first movie? ^_^

Was it or was all the action and starship scenes recycled from the first movie?

Whoa, the power armor looks very Battletech-ish to me. After finally reading the book I imagined the armor to be pretty much a kangaroo hopping frame with some boosters and such.

Whoa, the power armor looks very Battletech-ish to me. After finally reading the book I imagined the armor to be pretty much a kangaroo hopping frame with some boosters and such.

I believe Heinlein refers to it as looking like an "armored gorilla."

That image of the design from the movie looks a little better, but still not great. If it's powered suit-sized, I can't see how somebody's legs would fit into it. Maybe it's much bigger and the pilot sits in the chest.