Macross 7 Remastered w/ Subs

Seems pretty easy, I'm using Aegisub, and all I pretty much have to do is sync it to the video, usually by popping the timing back about 1-30 sec. That and change the Default from 20 pt. Arial to 30 pt Arial. The positioning is a little different for some of the songs, but for what amounts to a few minutes work it ain't bad. I might see if there's a place I can toss up the subs now timed and set up for the [TV-Japan] Raws. I've also been going through the VIP subs and changing all the names to the correct Macross verions, mainly for personal benefit, up to about ep 24. I haven't seen any really bad Japlish, so props to PsyKORPS for doing these.

Might I also add that no fancy fonts or Karaoke subs makes me GIDDY? I think I shall.

Anyhoo, fourth time seems to be the charm with this one, still parts of it I find annoying as all hell, (the guitar flightsticks are exceptionally absurd) but there are parts the series does really well. Some other parts it doesn't. At least the combat scenes are improving past the halfway point, early on it was AWFUL.

Edited by bishopcruz

Seems pretty easy, I'm using Aegisub, and all I pretty much have to do is sync it to the video, usually by popping the timing back about 1-30 sec. That and change the Default from 20 pt. Arial to 30 pt Arial. The positioning is a little different for some of the songs, but for what amounts to a few minutes work it ain't bad. I might see if there's a place I can toss up the subs now timed and set up for the [TV-Japan] Raws. I've also been going through the VIP subs and changing all the names to the correct Macross verions, mainly for personal benefit, up to about ep 24. I haven't seen any really bad Japlish, so props to PsyKORPS for doing these.

Might I also add that no fancy fonts or Karaoke subs makes me GIDDY? I think I shall.

Anyhoo, fourth time seems to be the charm with this one, still parts of it I find annoying as all hell, (the guitar flightsticks are exceptionally absurd) but there are parts the series does really well. Some other parts it doesn't. At least the combat scenes are improving past the halfway point, early on it was AWFUL.

I would be very interested in the .ass files if you decide to release these; as it appears that VIP has dropped the project.

As soon as I'm done with em, I'll try to toss 'em up then. Pretty easy work, but don't expect anything too fancy. I know the end credits are a bit messed up, but other than that it seems cool. Also, these are for the final 17 eps, which you can find as the [TV-JAPAN] torrent. It's not quite as nice as the VIP rips (640x480 instead of 720x480) but it's hard to tell the diff. Just be prepared for a slow ass DL, seriously, it can go from over 100k to about 2.5 in a matter of minutes, with no real rhyme or reason. I might also release em with the name corrections I've done on the first 24 episodes (I guess I can do the other 8 as well), but this will likely be after finals and stuff, give it a week at least.

I've planned on scrubbing through all of these myself at some point, but I'm concentrating on SDFM tv dvd, DYRL, and AVCHDs for stuff available in HD.

I haven't watched Macross 7 in a long time, but if I remember correctly they used naval english equivalents for ranks. Its my personal nitpick; one day I'll scrub through them and change them into their army equivalents.

Ok, almost done, having spent time on this that I clearly should not have. Anyways, I noticed in that RAR that the subs for "Fleet of Strongest Women" is not there. Does ANYONE have this sub? It's the last thing that I'm missing in getting this whole shebang done. It'd really suck to have to do it by hand, and honestly, I'm not sure I could w/o a script at this point.

Ok, almost done, having spent time on this that I clearly should not have. Anyways, I noticed in that RAR that the subs for "Fleet of Strongest Women" is not there. Does ANYONE have this sub? It's the last thing that I'm missing in getting this whole shebang done. It'd really suck to have to do it by hand, and honestly, I'm not sure I could w/o a script at this point.

You could always watch the old, unremastered version...the quality's not THAT bad...

That would be the easy way out. You know me, I get obsessed with doing these things.

Found a PsyCORPS script, untimed, did it all last night, and kinda wanted to cry, but I did it, with timing for both Aioboeteimasuka and Tostugeki Love Heart (first verse only).

Kinda proud of this one, the script could be a pain, a bit rife with errors, and kinda dry. Hopefully fixed that.

As soon as I'm done with em, I'll try to toss 'em up then. Pretty easy work, but don't expect anything too fancy. I know the end credits are a bit messed up, but other than that it seems cool. Also, these are for the final 17 eps, which you can find as the [TV-JAPAN] torrent. It's not quite as nice as the VIP rips (640x480 instead of 720x480) but it's hard to tell the diff. Just be prepared for a slow ass DL, seriously, it can go from over 100k to about 2.5 in a matter of minutes, with no real rhyme or reason. I might also release em with the name corrections I've done on the first 24 episodes (I guess I can do the other 8 as well), but this will likely be after finals and stuff, give it a week at least.

Would you be open to releasing the .ass/.ssa files without the the name and other corrections?

Edited by Sketch

I'd actually have to do another editing pass in order to take them out. The files aren't much different than what has shown up in the rar linked in this thread. I'm just giving everything a once over, and that'll be that. They'll be done soon, outside of the Omake, I have everything except for Encore 2 done. I'll probably have them out by week's end.

If you are in a hurry to see the eps, basically grab the SSA's, grab AegisSub, and push the timings back until the first line of the opening song is at 0:00:15:20 or so. They won't be perfect, but they are watchable. Only a few problems here and there with font size and spacing.

What I'll likely do is release 33-49 + Encore + Dynamite + Movie in *.ass as a pack. Also, I'd love to put the *.mkvs themselves up, but honestly where I'm at SUCKS for seeding.

Isn't it supposed to be Navy? I always figured Spacy=Navy.

Anyhoo, done with 33-49, though there are still some errors, getting on to Dynamite 7 now. This'll be the longest one, mainly because eps 1-2 are in .js format.

That actually makes a lot of sense, but the issue is that the Japanese use the same ranking titles for Army and Navy, unlike the USA. In the USA armies have Generals and navies have Admirals, but in Japan the rank is Taishou for both services.

In Macross Plus, it is established that Millard is a Colonel. The rank of Colonel does not exist in the american navy rank system. The equivalent rank of Colonel in the Navy is "Captain."

Major Fokker is Army style. Captain Fokker would be a navalized rank. This is why some DYRL subs will have Ensign Ichijo vs 2nd. Lt Ichijo.

The Spacy is a unified service, so it should have a consistent rank structure. With the fact that we already have a Colonel Millard, for the sake of consistency this would mean that Army style ranks should be used, in my opinion. This is the approach used in Gundam translations as well.

The Macross Compendium lists army style ranks for all cases.

Last but not least, in SDFM I'd rather use army style Sgt. Max Jenius instead of calling him Petty Officer Jenius.

I think the only exceptions should be to navalize General to Admiral and Lt. Col to Commander as appropriate, only because I think it is better for the sake of english translation.

Isn't it supposed to be Navy? I always figured Spacy=Navy.

Actually, it should properly by Army/Air Force. In most countries with active space programs, military operations in space fall under the jurisdiction of the Air Force.

"Spacy" is a contraction of "Space Agency".

Edited by Seto Kaiba

If I'm not wrong, Macross has a UN Army, UN Air Force, UN Navy and UN Spacy i.e. Spacy is another branch of the services specifically for space operations. Certainly, the backstory for the VF-19 mentions both, with the VF-19 A/F with Canards selected by the UN Air Force, and the VF-19 S/ etc selected by the UN Spacy for better space performance.

If I'm not wrong, Macross has a UN Army, UN Air Force, UN Navy and UN Spacy i.e. Spacy is another branch of the services specifically for space operations. Certainly, the backstory for the VF-19 mentions both, with the VF-19 A/F with Canards selected by the UN Air Force, and the VF-19 S/ etc selected by the UN Spacy for better space performance.

All of that is besides the point. The issue is that the japanese language uses the same rank titles for all branches. The highest senior ranking officer is a Taisa.

US army equivalent = Colonel

US navy equivalent = Captain

In Japan, he is a Taisa no matter what branch he is in. So the issue is "how do we translate this to english?" Figuring out which branch is what won't solve the problem, because within the anime characters will all refer to each other as the same rank anway, even if they come from different branches.

1. This means the anime must have a consistent rank structure to reflect the language being translated, unless you want the army/navy issue to be decided upon by each individual translator. The Spacy is a unified service, IMO. And it's dang confusing.

2. With Mac+ choosing to put Colonel Millard inscribed on the door, that means they have chosen to translate their ranking system through US army terminology.

3. "All english army translation method" provides consistency that is needed in the anime, since rank titles are the same across all japanese language branches.

4. All army would allow us to use Sgt., Corporal, etc. instead of Petty Officer and Seaman. No Seaman on my space scifi show please....

4. However, I advocate exceptions in favor of Admiral over general and Commander over Lt. Col, (only where appropriate for ship officers), because I beleive that would serve the translation of the work for an english audience.

I was actually responding to Seto, but anyway.

In the original SDFM, Global's rank progression (as given by the Macross Compendium) is :Commander, Colonel, Brigadier General indicating that a mix of (traditional) Navy and Army are used in UN Spacy. So you are both right (in the case of Commander) and wrong (in the case of General). Since Macross Compendium is SK approved and more or less the officially sanctioned english site for all things Macross, I think you should work out your unified rank structure from there.

I was actually responding to Seto, but anyway.

In the original SDFM, Global's rank progression (as given by the Macross Compendium) is :Commander, Colonel, Brigadier General indicating that a mix of (traditional) Navy and Army are used in UN Spacy. So you are both right (in the case of Commander) and wrong (in the case of General). Since Macross Compendium is SK approved and more or less the officially sanctioned english site for all things Macross, I think you should work out your unified rank structure from there.

Global was a Commander in the UN Navy on the submarine Marco Polo, not the UN Spacy...

Edited by OptimusX

4. However, I advocate exceptions in favor of Admiral over general and Commander over Lt. Col, (only where appropriate for ship officers), because I beleive that would serve the translation of the work for an english audience.

I would actually be inclined to avoid that sort of thing, except where tradition dictates such titles... like having the captain of a ship being called "Captain" regardless of his/her actual rank, and extending that to "Admiral" being the title for a fleet commander, regardless of rank.

I would actually be inclined to avoid that sort of thing, except where tradition dictates such titles... like having the captain of a ship being called "Captain" regardless of his/her actual rank, and extending that to "Admiral" being the title for a fleet commander, regardless of rank.

The japanese already do this similarly to how we have done it in the west, actually with the title "kanchou."

We do the same here, the title of captain is given to anyone is commands a ship regardless of rank. In WW2 submarine commanders were given the title of "captain," but they typically had Lieutenant rank.

So in Macross DYRL, "Global kanchou" is still Captain Global, and "Global junsho" is Brigadier General Global (or navalized to Admiral). In the dialogue he is referred to as both right after the Max/Millia battle.

Anyway, I basically agree with you about navalizing only in instances of tradition, especially if it serves the translation for english audiences.

sorry for taking this thread off topic! I tend to get nitpicky about ranks because I'm a former army brat.

Anyway, I'm glad to see people taking on Macross and translations!

You could always watch the old, unremastered version...the quality's not THAT bad...

Especially compared to the old VHS rips from before CA. Man were those awful. I should post screencaps to show how far we've come with this show in english.

Especially compared to the old VHS rips from before CA. Man were those awful. I should post screencaps to show how far we've come with this show in english.

Those were the old days...when fansubs were traded via VHS! I remember I was stoked b/c someone sent me his old VHS master, which was replaced by his new S-VHS master, lol.

Those were the old days...when fansubs were traded via VHS! I remember I was stoked b/c someone sent me his old VHS master, which was replaced by his new S-VHS master, lol.

I was at my parent's place a while back and found boxes and boxes of VHS fansubs. The real gems were Macross 7, Zeta Gundam, and Double Zeta in their entirety. Too bad I don't have a VCR anymore, lol.

Edited by Sketch

I was at my parent's place a while back and found boxes and boxes of VHS fansubs. The real gems were Macross 7, Zeta Gundam, and Double Zeta in their entirety. Too bad I don't have a VCR anymore, lol.

I had a similar experience a couple years ago. When I was 14-15 I didn't think about the possibility of VHS being replaced...I knew the average life span of tapes, how many times they can be viewed, etc. Some of the fansubs I had were on custom spooled Fuji tapes and some of the really good fansub "distros" would make custom labels.

I remember waiting until it was my turn on the waiting list for my first few Macross 7 tapes.

Anyway, my dad wanted to turn my old room into an office and had me clean out the closet. I had mountains of old VHS fansubs...like you said they were gems. I spent so much time keeping them in top notch condition so that they could last "forever," like keeping them reround and upright, etc. Except for a few nostalgic keepsakes...I threw must of them away...I had since gotten many of them on DVD anyway!

Are you still need them? I've got subs for all "Macross 7 Encore" movies, but haven't got for Macross 7 Dynamite, only old hardsubbed version. I can share this subs, if you need.

Well, the real problem with the VHS rips wasn't the VHS part (though the generations didn't help) but rather the primitive compression methods. Come to think of it, the disc I had them on might've been lost. If anyone has any VHS fansubs they don't want, I'll gladly take them. I've got 4 VCRs in active service.

Are you still need them? I've got subs for all "Macross 7 Encore" movies, but haven't got for Macross 7 Dynamite, only old hardsubbed version. I can share this subs, if you need.

If you can toss me the subs for 1 and 2 it'd be keen, I technically have 1 finished, but 2 still has to be merged and it is a pain in the rear end. I basically redid "Fleet of Strongest Women" by hand off of a psycorps script, and am pretty proud of it, but I could take a look at that one too, see if I'm missing anythng.

As I said, for now the series is subbed except for encore 2, in the next few days I'll be giving the scripts a once over, as well as scrubbing the ones that VIP released for consistent naming.

Also if anyone has a list of ranks and what they SHOULD be, I can see if it's not too hard to fix them all.

I'm also looking for scripts for all of the omake, I have it all as part of the torrent, and I think they would be cool to have subbed. PsyCorps has scripts for about half of them, though timing would have to e done by hand, and that takes a while. The omake are about 5 minutes each, tops, and if there are no scripts, maybe we can get some forum members together to get them done. Sadly my listening comprehension isn't where it needs to be yet, but soon, it will be.

Edited by bishopcruz

If you can toss me the subs for 1 and 2 it'd be keen, I technically have 1 finished, but 2 still has to be merged and it is a pain in the rear end. I basically redid "Fleet of Strongest Women" by hand off of a psycorps script, and am pretty proud of it, but I could take a look at that one too, see if I'm missing anythng.

As I said, for now the series is subbed except for encore 2, in the next few days I'll be giving the scripts a once over, as well as scrubbing the ones that VIP released for consistent naming.

Also if anyone has a list of ranks and what they SHOULD be, I can see if it's not too hard to fix them all.

I'm also looking for scripts for all of the omake, I have it all as part of the torrent, and I think they would be cool to have subbed. PsyCorps has scripts for about half of them, though timing would have to e done by hand, and that takes a while. The omake are about 5 minutes each, tops, and if there are no scripts, maybe we can get some forum members together to get them done. Sadly my listening comprehension isn't where it needs to be yet, but soon, it will be.

All 3 subs in 1 pack - http://rapidshare.com/files/225866027/Macross_7_Encore.rar

Enjoy!

PM'd you regarding ranks.

• 1 month later...
No any news about central_anime subs? They are abandoned on 32-nd episode?

It looks like VIP may have called it quits. There is a rumor that CA will be doing their own remaster release, but i have yet to see anything.

It looks like VIP may have called it quits. There is a rumor that CA will be doing their own remaster release, but i have yet to see anything.

The scripts have been released, but they need some cleaning up since they are adapted from the old Jacosub format. I'm helping with some Macross DVD subbing projects, but I'm mostly on the sidelines for the moment.

I might consider picking this up as a primary project. If I do it will be for DVD only and leave it for others to make smaller file size re-encodes.

Like OptimusX said, the scripts for Macross 7 came in the old SSA format what it means basically that all the lines of the script needs to be checked because the styling process is line to line (color, position, etc)

That could be done, but takes a lot of time. I'm remember that I tried to do it for the last DVD of M7 that I subbed, but in the meantime CA released the pack so I left them

Let me know when you guys finish the whole project. I'll gladly pay someone for a perfect sub of the DVD remasters in DVD quality on DVD's. Also, DVD! :)

Sucks being an old man who doesn't trust torrent software...

Edited by Keith

Let me know when you guys finish the whole project. I'll gladly pay someone for a perfect sub of the DVD remasters in DVD quality on DVD's. Also, DVD! :)

Sucks being an old man who doesn't trust torrent software...

Well, it's on MY list, but I most likely won't start working on it until mid-2010 (I have a lot to finish between now and then...).