Newbie Questions on Macross

Enjoy the ride, man. :D

LOL...for sure...yesterday was Sports Talk driving home, today it was Sheryl Nome & Ranka Lee! ^_^

Grabbed a screen of an Cheyenne II tonight...next series must have more Destroids!

Edited by Zor Primus

This'll probably get merged into the Newbie thread by the first mod who runs across it, but s'long as it's here...

So what happened to Isamu after Macross Plus? Did the army kick him out? Did he get a metal for being so awesome?

Your guess is as good as mine... as Agent ONE said, he got the girl and that's all we really know. Like most of Macross's protagonists, he exits stage left after his story is over and that's that. I'd like to think he and Myung hooked up and she beat some self-control into him with a frying pan, but there's really no way to tell.

Any info on this in the literature?

No... at least, not in any reliable source. I'd have to dig it out and check, but I don't think his character sheet in Macross Chronicle goes beyond the events of the Macross Plus OVA/movie. It's possible there's more about his career in Variable Fighter Master File - VF-19 Excalibur, but that's an unreliable book to say the least.

Thanks for the replies, it was nice to have a topic not moved to the newbie section before being answered :)

That is a good point about the protagonists disappearing after the series, kind of a Macross staple so I shouldn't be surprised (Shin quite literally disappears).

As far as triangles go (and perhaps someone can correct me), Mac7 is the only one that doesn't seem resolved, all others including SDF Macross are wrapped up IMO(though until recently I didn't see the signs in Macross Frontier).

Seto, when we talk about male Macross protagonists that need self control beaten into them with a frying pan, Isamu isn't the first one who comes to mind (my mind at least) :D

As far as triangles go (and perhaps someone can correct me), Mac7 is the only one that doesn't seem resolved, all others including SDF Macross are wrapped up IMO(though until recently I didn't see the signs in Macross Frontier).

7 and Frontier are the only ones unresolved, although if the liner notes for the latest Fire Bomber album are to be believed, Basara never returned to the Macross 7 Fleet after Dynamite 7.

7 and Frontier are the only ones unresolved, although if the liner notes for the latest Fire Bomber album are to be believed, Basara never returned to the Macross 7 Fleet after Dynamite 7.

So then Mac 7 is resolved?

As for Frontier, someone drew to my attention a few things from throughout the series and in episode 24 that after coming to my attention make it clear (to me at least) Alto is on team Sheryl, and rightfully so.

With that being said, I haven't seen the movie yet.....

Edited by Xx-SKULL-ONE-xX

So then Mac 7 is resolved?

Mylene apparently didn't end up with Basara...but that doesn't necessarily mean she ended up with Gamlin, right?

But then there's also the recent comic, Macross 7th Code, which shows Basara in City 7 well after the events of Dynamite 7, so...who knows?

As for Frontier, someone drew to my attention a few things from throughout the series and in episode 24 that after coming to my attention make it clear (to me at least) Alto is on team Sheryl, and rightfully so.

With that being said, I haven't seen the movie yet.....

Well, the SCRIPTWRITER for Frontier said it was unresolved, and the ACTRESS WHO PLAYED SHERYL said it was unresolved...so, uh...yeah... For me, at least, it's unresolved. :)

So what happened to Isamu after Macross Plus? Did the army kick him out? Did he get a metal for being so awesome?

Any info on this in the literature?

After stealing an experimental fighter, destroying numerous orbital defence satellites, having a dogfight through Macross City (presumably endangering the lives of thousand of civilians), and by virtue of him being there causing the death of Guld Bowman and the destruction of another experimental fighter.... then yeah, he probably should have gotten kicked out of the spacy.

After stealing an experimental fighter, destroying numerous orbital defence satellites, having a dogfight through Macross City (presumably endangering the lives of thousand of civilians), and by virtue of him being there causing the death of Guld Bowman and the destruction of another experimental fighter.... then yeah, he probably should have gotten kicked out of the spacy.

Fortunately for Isamu, everyone was underhypnosis, and all surveillance over the area was conveinetly knocked out of commission (sneaky bastard!). All Isamu really had to do was shrug and say "notta clue what happened, but it looked like a hell of a party." Or "Guld did it, I tried to stop him, but he crashed into the Ghost right after taking out the Macross" lol.

As for Basara, he went chasing after Sivl, and had many space babies.

Edited by Keith

Seto, when we talk about male Macross protagonists that need self control beaten into them with a frying pan, Isamu isn't the first one who comes to mind (my mind at least) :D

Nor mine... but there's no denying that he certainly has it coming and Myung probably wouldn't hesitate to. It's possible, but unlikely, that the manga adaptation of Macross Plus will offer an epilogue or something once they finish making it... but I wouldn't hold my breath if I were you.

After stealing an experimental fighter [...] then yeah, he probably should have gotten kicked out of the spacy.

Nah... extenuating circumstances would probably get Isamu off the hook for the most part.

As for Basara, he went chasing after Sivl, and had many space babies.

About time Basara grew a pair and got laid, I was beginning to think the guy was a goddam eunuch with the way he ignores women.

Mylene apparently didn't end up with Basara...but that doesn't necessarily mean she ended up with Gamlin, right?

Clearly Mylene ended up with Isamu.

Well, the SCRIPTWRITER for Frontier said it was unresolved, and the ACTRESS WHO PLAYED SHERYL said it was unresolved...so, uh...yeah... For me, at least, it's unresolved. :)

Clearly Isamu showed up, punched Alto in the face and proceed to get with both of them (and every other woman on the show).

You see, after blowing up the SDF-1, saving the day and sleeping with Myung, he looked her in the eyes and said "sorry babe, but I'm to much of a MAN to be tied down..." and proceeded to fly off into space in an unending quest for find more wimmins.

About time Basara grew a pair and got laid, I was beginning to think the guy was a goddam eunuch with the way he ignores women.

The guy is a rock star, I'm sure his needs will be met. No wonder he ingnores pushy would-be-girlfriends. Besides he's got Clore's fleet to work through, not surprising he never returned to Macross 7. :lol:

This. And I've always thought anybody believing otherwise is either not paying attention to the story or just plain delusional. But probably both.

Nah... extenuating circumstances would probably get Isamu off the hook for the most part.

This. And I've always thought anybody believing otherwise is either not paying attention to the story or just plain delusional. But probably both.

Remember, Millard said specifically in the movie that he would cover it up for Isamu, just like his superiors had when he was that age. Isamu more then likely stayed in the service. The question is whether he forced into a Kirkian career path or not That being a promotion that got him out of a pilot's chair.

And yes, Myung probably totally goes after him to beat out some of his worse tendencies. :lol:

Clearly Isamu showed up, punched Alto in the face and proceed to get with both of them (and every other woman on the show).

s.

I can somehow totally picture that, speciallly the punching Alto in the face bit!

The two missiles variants are likely just additional equipment for the standard unit. The Scout might be considered a standalone version specially manufactured apart from the standard Reguld simply because it has so many exterior/interior modifications and equipment. The Scout cockpit is shown as different from the regular Reguld.

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. March, I had a question of nomenclature used in your Mecha Manual.

The head-mounted lasers for battroid mode... are they lasers, or beam cannons? You started using "beam cannon" in the Frontier VF descriptions, while it looks like you use "laser turret" and "laser cannon" in the earlier series compilations.

My impression of a "beam cannon" was a fairly large impact weapon, such as the anti-ship cannon on the Queadluun Rhea, the particle cannon mode on the VF-171EXs gunpod, or the beam grenade of the VF-27s gunpod.

In pretty much all of the series, the head lasers were useless in destroying other fighters, but they do well as anti-missile weapons. Even in Zero, Roy shot his lasers at the Octos... it didn't do any damage to the mecha itself, but it hit a missile as it was leaving its launch pod, which destroyed the Octos.

A little help in clarifying would be appreciated.

Mr. March, I had a question of nomenclature used in your Mecha Manual. [...] A little help in clarifying would be appreciated.

Eh... I may be a fairly recent addition to the Macross Mecha Manual's contributors, but I think I can offer the clarity you seek.

The head-mounted lasers for battroid mode... are they lasers, or beam cannons? You started using "beam cannon" in the Frontier VF descriptions, while it looks like you use "laser turret" and "laser cannon" in the earlier series compilations.

To be precise... it wasn't a decision on Mr March's part to use "beam gun" or "beam cannon" in the M3 entries for Macross Frontier's mecha. It's that those were the terms used in the official material that provided the stats for the show's mecha... including Macross Chronicle. Given that the terminology for previous models of VF went unchanged and that the specs for the VF-19 present a case where it's clear that they're not two names for the same technology, this appears to be an intentional change in technology rather than a shift in terminology. To illustrate, the terms are generally spelled out in kana... the "laser machine gun" used on the VF-0 gets spelled (レーザー機銃), while the "beam machine guns" used on the VF-27 and such are spelled (ビーム機銃). The choice of terminology there was on the part of the writers rather than the translators.

My impression of a "beam cannon" was a fairly large impact weapon, such as the anti-ship cannon on the Queadluun Rhea, the particle cannon mode on the VF-171EXs gunpod, or the beam grenade of the VF-27s gunpod.

Nah... we've seen some pretty small-scale ones in the past. Putting aside the question of the Tomahawk's two big beam guns, there's the beam guns on the VF-4, and the ones on the YF/VF-19, and those fitted to the head and forearms of the VF-22. They haven't exactly been super-common on VFs in the past, but they have been at scales usable by VFs for a while now.

In pretty much all of the series, the head lasers were useless in destroying other fighters, but they do well as anti-missile weapons. Even in Zero, Roy shot his lasers at the Octos... it didn't do any damage to the mecha itself, but it hit a missile as it was leaving its launch pod, which destroyed the Octos.

I dunno about that... the Mauler RÖV-20 anti-aircraft laser guns on the VF-1 were reasonably effective against Zentradi mecha in the original Super Dimension Fortress Macross series. In, I think, the third episode of the TV series we see Roy destroy a Regult with nothing but a short burst from his VF-1S's four laser guns. This is my impression of things, but I would guess that the VF-0's laser machine gun probably wasn't all that effective in use against the Octos because of the limitations of the VF-0's powerplant more than anything else. After all, those VF-0s don't have the colossal 1300MW power supply provided by the VF-1's two reaction engines to draw on.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Well, you could also argue that those Octos models had energy-conversion armor. The lasers seem to be pretty ineffective against it. As a matter of fact, I think Shin shot directly at Nora's canopy during Episode 3 and they harmlessly bounced away.... then again, you don't actually see Shin hit her. He could just be a lousy shot with that thing... lol

Anyway, I wanted to clarify if it was, in fact, a change in terminology/technology. The thing that really drives me nuts, though, is that any instance of a "beam cannon" is usually a slow-firing weapon. You see Ozma pelt a Vajra mecha-drone with his lasers in MacF episode 17. It seems to do SOME damage, but it's more of an annoyance to the drone. He eventually destroys it by throwing it's own claw through it's body from behind. I guess the fact that the 25S has four of them makes it look like they're rapid-fire.

I'm trying to determine the correct terminology to use for purposes of accuracy, that's all.

Well, you could also argue that those Octos models had energy-conversion armor.

There's no arguing necessary there... the Octos units that'd been equipped with reaction powerplants did have energy conversion armor. It's unclear if the ones that we see in Macross Zero did, but remember that Roy's VF-0 is working from a significantly less capable powerplant than the mass-produced VF-1 was. They're shown to be at least effective enough to shoot down missiles on the fly, so their reduced power in a test machine isn't all that much of a hindrance. Destroids don't have to worry about keeping themselves light enough to fly, so they can also afford to take much heavier composite armor even if they don't have the powerplant necessary to run an energy conversion armor system.

Anyway, I wanted to clarify if it was, in fact, a change in terminology/technology. The thing that really drives me nuts, though, is that any instance of a "beam cannon" is usually a slow-firing weapon.

Not necessarily... we seldom actually see variable fighters using their beam weapons in combat, since there are very few models that carry them, but we have seen at least a few instances of rapid fire beam weapons. The one that leaps most readily to mind outside of Macross Frontier is Gamlin's little shooting spree against all those VA-3s the Galactic Whale poachers used in Macross Dynamite 7. In Macross Frontier there are a few that are explicitly identified as either "beam machine gun" or "rapid fire beam gun", which would mean their use as a rapid-fire weapon is to be expected... like the engine nacelle guns on the VF-27, or the hip/intake guns on the VF-25 and the ball turret guns and supplemental hip/intake guns on its Armored Packs.

You see Ozma pelt a Vajra mecha-drone with his lasers in MacF episode 17. It seems to do SOME damage, but it's more of an annoyance to the drone. He eventually destroys it by throwing it's own claw through it's body from behind. I guess the fact that the 25S has four of them makes it look like they're rapid-fire.

Um... the VF-25 doesn't have any laser weaponry. Excluding its gun pod, the guns built into the airframe are all beam weapons... at least before the Anti-Vajra MDE retrofit when the hip/intake beam machine guns were changed out for high-speed conventional machine guns. It's established in the series (and then harped on at some length) that the Vajra adapt to the weapons used against them... so that conventional beam weaponry doesn't work very well against them is no surprise, as they'd been having similar weapons used against them by the fleet's VF-171s and Ghosts since way back in episode 1... if not further.

The question is about the head-mounted armaments. I'm just saying that they're typically underused and when they are used, they seem to have very little overall effect on their target.

I think it's funny that we'd all be quick to refer to any energy-based weapon as a "laser", when it looks like they're more like packets of energy... like a particle emitter of sorts.

I think my problem here is that my impression of a "beam cannon" is put together with other high-yield superweapons like the Macross Cannon.

The question is about the head-mounted armaments. I'm just saying that they're typically underused and when they are used, they seem to have very little overall effect on their target.

Eh... the visual evidence in the various shows is generally pretty favorable as far as the effectiveness of head-mounted laser weapons goes. Admittedly, they don't get a whole lot of use after Super Dimension Fortress Macross and Macross: Do You Remember Love?, but that's mainly because they changed roles slightly and from around the VF-5000 on they were chiefly concerned with covering the VF's blind spot and providing it with a way to strike back at an enemy on its tail in a dogfight. We seldom see them used in that capacity, but when they are they generally make whoever was doing the tailing get the hell out of the way (be it Guld or the Vajra) at the very least. When we see them used offensively, they seem to do a good job cutting holes in starship hulls or shooting down Zentradi pods.

I think it's funny that we'd all be quick to refer to any energy-based weapon as a "laser", when it looks like they're more like packets of energy... like a particle emitter of sorts.

Something we're all too aware of... see the notation under the entry for "Laser" in the Macrosspedia... or TVTropes if you're in the mood for humor.

Edited by Seto Kaiba