Newbie Questions on Macross

ive recently downloaded a different version of the macross frontier episodes (just to get the episodes constant in terms of subtitles and video quality) and I've noticed a few added scenes in the final two episodes, whats the story with this? was there scenes added to the dvd/blueray versions that weren't in the original broadcast?

ive recently downloaded a different version of the macross frontier episodes (just to get the episodes constant in terms of subtitles and video quality) and I've noticed a few added scenes in the final two episodes, whats the story with this? was there scenes added to the dvd/blueray versions that weren't in the original broadcast?

Yes.

<<< WARNING: AMATEUR ATTEMPT AT AN ASWER FORTHCOMING >>>

In a word, yes. If my understanding is correct, the BlueRay version of MacF is called 'The Yak Deculture' edition, where scenes were added to fill holes and add to the general eye-candy content.

Admitedly, of all the versions I've seen (I think there may be three, total), this one (BlueRay) seems to be the best.

<<< WARNING: AMATEUR ATTEMPT AT AN ASWER FORTHCOMING >>>

In a word, yes. If my understanding is correct, the BlueRay version of MacF is called 'The Yak Deculture' edition, where scenes were added to fill holes and add to the general eye-candy content.

Admitedly, of all the versions I've seen (I think there may be three, total), this one (BlueRay) seems to be the best.

I'm not sure about the final episodes, since I haven't taken the time re-watch the BD version of episode 25, but there are 3 versions of episode one. The Deculture version (Dec 08), the Broadcast version (April 09) and the Yak Deculture version that came out with the home video release.

The principle difference between the three is that the Yak Deculture version includes all the scenes from both the Deculture and Broadcast versions of episode one.

Edited by Zinjo

I'm not sure about the final episodes, since I haven't taken the time re-watch the BD version of episode 25, but there are 3 versions of episode one. The Deculture version (Dec 08), the Broadcast version (April 09) and the Yak Deculture version that came out with the home video release.

The principle difference between the three is that the Yak Deculture version includes all the scenes from both the Deculture and Broadcast versions of episode one.

I've also noticed minor added scenes in the BR-rip for ep. 24.

When Mr. Biler was fidgeting with his ring-locket, a minor scene showing an obscured picture of Minmay was added in BR version that wasn't in the broadcast.

It was a recycled scene from ep. 25, but with glare obscuring the portions of Minmay's portrait.

Edited by nanoplasm

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Have a question been out of the site for a while (since 2005) and out of the Macross World since 2003, right when AnimEigo was doing the preorders for the Remastered Macross Saga I tought "thats too much money" and "pretty sure they will be released later cheaper".

Well I fell off to work and buried myself playing videogames when had the time not even my Valkyries aren't in display anymore they are inside a plastic box in my garage, since my last move. Today at work a friend told me he was a fan of Robotech and take upon myself to let him know the truth about Macross and jut found out that ADV Films is gone and that they remastered series is going for even more than the Animeigo was almost 10 years ago. Please if anyone can put me up to date.

Whats the best version available for the Macross Saga, in japanese with english subtitles that does not cost and arm and a leg (let them be on a boxset as well), Thanks

ObiJ

Edited by ObiJuan71

Hi Everyone,

Have a question been out of the site for a while (since 2005) and out of the Macross World since 2003, right when AnimEigo was doing the preorders for the Remastered Macross Saga I tought "thats too much money" and "pretty sure they will be released later cheaper".

Well I fell off to work and buried myself playing videogames when had the time not even my Valkyries aren't in display anymore they are inside a plastic box in my garage, since my last move. Today at work a friend told me he was a fan of Robotech and take upon myself to let him know the truth about Macross and jut found out that ADV Films is gone and that they remastered series is going for even more than the Animeigo was almost 10 years ago. Please if anyone can put me up to date.

Whats the best version available for the Macross Saga, in japanese with english subtitles that does not cost and arm and a leg (let them be on a boxset as well), Thanks

ObiJ

On a DVD by DVD basis, if you use the 'used' option, you can get the ADV set on Amazon dirt cheap. I recently got all 7 DVDs for less than $80 shipped and all the disks were in great shape.

They also sell the Animeigo release.

Edited by hutch

If you can find this one:

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=93

Otherwise,

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=94

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=95

http://www.robotech.com/store/viewproduct.php?id=96

Since ADV shut down its operation and everything is currently being redistributed, it may be a while before new discs are made, if they will even be made. I would suggest you put in orders ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Has it ever been discussed what the secondary thrusters help the VF-25 achieve forward motion in GERWALK mode? I know most all the other valkyries have some secondary thruster unit for motion in Gerwalk, but I dont know if the VF-25 having this. Does it rely on the thrusters of the Super/Armored Fast Packs solely? I know that it has massive thrust in each of its engines, but is that enough?

Discuss-

Twich

In fact there are thrusters on the VF-25 Gerwalk in the back area where the shield connects in fighter mode. They are under the backside piece and are very small. Considering the technological development of NUNS/Shinsei/LAI it is likely that despite size these small thrusters have a lot of power behind them.

Has it ever been discussed what the secondary thrusters help the VF-25 achieve forward motion in GERWALK mode? I know most all the other valkyries have some secondary thruster unit for motion in Gerwalk, but I dont know if the VF-25 having this. Does it rely on the thrusters of the Super/Armored Fast Packs solely? I know that it has massive thrust in each of its engines, but is that enough?

No, I don't think we've bothered to cover that one, but we can be fairly certain that the VF-25 does in fact have some kind of secondary engine system providing the thrust for forward motion in fighter mode. Exactly what kind of engine it is, your guess is as good as mine, but its glowing pinkish-purple exhaust is visible in Macross Frontier episode 2 at about five minute in, when Alto and Ranka are cruising in GERWALK over the city in Gilliam's VF-25F right after Michel shoots the last Vajra down. It appears to be mounted more or less where we'd expect it to be. Just looking at the CG model, the engine's built into (or are on the underside of) the plate that protrudes backwards between the vertical stabilizers in GERWALK mode (the one with the Skull logo painted on it on Ozma's VF-25S, which is color-coded bright green in this chart).

Edited by Seto Kaiba

In fact there are thrusters on the VF-25 Gerwalk in the back area where the shield connects in fighter mode. They are under the backside piece and are very small. Considering the technological development of NUNS/Shinsei/LAI it is likely that despite size these small thrusters have a lot of power behind them.

thrusterswq1.th.gif

Didnt realize I posted my question in the wrong spot, but thank you for moving it, and thank you for answering the question. I am always curious about that sort of thing, and it is nice to see proof that there is something in the line art, and not just anime magic behind things. Thanks again for the pic and discussion.

Twich

The thrusters are most likely a larger version of the ones used on the EX-Gear suits.

Despite the larger size of the the post SW-1 Valks, it appears that the technologies incorporated into them are becoming smaller and more powerful as the years roll on.

What was the Supervision army Job in the Protoculture republic and how did they differ from the Zentrady?

I know SDF 1 Macross was originally one of their ships and that is how the Zentrady found the Earth while searching for the supervision ship.

New Question: any chance of Yamato making a 1/60th VF-171 Nightmare Plus from Frontier? With NUNS color scheme?

Not at the moment. Maybe when Bandai's exclusive agreement ends down the road. But by then, will Yamato still exist? We'll see.

What was the Supervision army Job in the Protoculture republic and how did they differ from the Zentrady?

I know SDF 1 Macross was originally one of their ships and that is how the Zentrady found the Earth while searching for the supervision ship.

The group, later known as Supervision Army, were brainwashed, or I should say mainipulated Protoculture citizens (and Zentradi, this part is kinda iffy) used to fight against Protoculture by the Protodeviln. They didn't call themselves the "Supervision Army" until after the Protodeviln were sealed. They differ from the Zentradi, for the most part, since they are not genetically made. The SA are real people and not genetic warriors.

Other than a couple of gunship wrecks we don't know any more.

We know they were the Protodevlin's brainwashed army but did they stay brainwashed after the Protodevlin were sealed?

For the past 500,000 years the Zentradi Army and Supervision Army has been at war with each other.

New Question: any chance of Yamato making a 1/60th VF-171 Nightmare Plus from Frontier? With NUNS color scheme?

Currently, not very likely. Bandai holds the license to make toys of the Frontier mecha.

The Supervision Army was never part of the Protoculture republic. The Supervision Army came into existence when some of the Protoculture fell under the mind control of the Protodevlin.

Looking again at the defunct

Does UNK have any significance?

Maybe another way of saying Anti-UN?

I believe it's a character name. I remember reading a synopsis of the show a long long time ago, and there was a character called Redline who wanted to become a Hollywood actress but got caught up in some Zentradi shenanigans or something.

Anyway, the pic you posted is in the middle of a sequence where a bunch of character names just appear randomly onscreen, alongside "Zentraedi" (sic), etc.

Anybody know what this book is about? Is it new? Old? Anybody have one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MACROSS-ART-BOOK-By-Ja...=item2eaa6bfa21

If this has been covered already, please direct me to that thread! I wanna know more about this book! Thanx! ^_^

The Supervision Army was never part of the Protoculture republic. The Supervision Army came into existence when some of the Protoculture fell under the mind control of the Protodevlin.

That's a bit misleading IMO.

The Supervision Army or Inspection Army were derived from ships and personnel originally on Varuata as well as the nearby star systems that the PD invaded. So technically they were "once" part of the Stellar Republic, but became pawns of the Protodevlin after they fell under mind control.

Granted, there is no published proof the Zentradi were part of the the military forces on or around the Varuata planet, however, it is a logical leap of faith to expect they were present. The Zentradi do "fight" early in the PD war, but are not effective. One can speculate that against Zentradi they fought, but were inhibited when faced with Protoculture based or mixed forces. Their prime directive stopped them from doing any harm. When that was removed, all bets were off.

That's a bit misleading IMO.

The Supervision Army or Inspection Army were derived from ships and personnel originally on Varuata as well as the nearby star systems that the PD invaded. So technically they were "once" part of the Stellar Republic, but became pawns of the Protodevlin after they fell under mind control.

Granted, there is no published proof the Zentradi were part of the the military forces on or around the Varuata planet, however, it is a logical leap of faith to expect they were present. The Zentradi do "fight" early in the PD war, but are not effective. One can speculate that against Zentradi they fought, but were inhibited when faced with Protoculture based or mixed forces. Their prime directive stopped them from doing any harm. When that was removed, all bets were off.

A minor correction, the Supervision Army and the Varauta forces are two different entities. Basically, the Supervision Amy are made up of brainwashed Protoculture and Zentradi under control of the Protodevilins like Beltane said. It was the Supervision Army that waged war against the Stellar Republic/Protoculture that led to the destruction of the latter. The Protoculture managed to win by sealing the Protodevilins on planet Varauta.

The Varauta Forces on the other hand are brainwashed UN Spacy military of another NMC Fleet that came to planet Varauta (I can't remember which fleet it was, Macross 11?). It was explained in Macross 7 that when the Macross (?) fleet reached Varauta, they started snooping around, but didn't know that it was on that planet the Protodevilin were sealed, and then well, they accidentally unsealed the Protodevilins and they ended up being brainwashed and became the Varauta Army.

Edited by Moly_Sigang

The Varauta Forces on the other hand are brainwashed UN Spacy military of another NMC Fleet that came to planet Varauta (I can't remember which fleet it was, Macross 11?).

Megaroad-13.

Let's not forget that they also captured, brainwashed, and integrated soldiers from the 35th Colony Fleet (Macross-5) in the middle of their conflict with the 37th Colony Fleet (Macross 7).

A minor correction, the Supervision Army and the Varauta forces are two different entities. Basically, the Supervision Amy are made up of brainwashed Protoculture and Zentradi under control of the Protodevilins like Beltane said. It was the Supervision Army that waged war against the Stellar Republic/Protoculture that led to the destruction of the latter. The Protoculture managed to win by sealing the Protodevilins on planet Varauta.

The Varauta Forces on the other hand are brainwashed UN Spacy military of another NMC Fleet that came to planet Varauta (I can't remember which fleet it was, Macross 11?). It was explained in Macross 7 that when the Macross (?) fleet reached Varauta, they started snooping around, but didn't know that it was on that planet the Protodevilin were sealed, and then well, they accidentally unsealed the Protodevilins and they ended up being brainwashed and became the Varauta Army.

So did the Supervision army continue the war against the Protoculture after the Protodevilins was sealed away on the planet Varauta lasting till the late 20 century.

So did the Supervision army continue the war against the Protoculture after the Protodevilins was sealed away on the planet Varauta lasting till the late 20 century.

Yes. Although the Supervision Army's numbers are fewer and spread out, they still exist out there. And they are still fighting the Zentradi as SDFM has shown us.

Yes. Although the Supervision Army's numbers are fewer and spread out, they still exist out there. And they are still fighting the Zentradi as SDFM has shown us.

Did they rejoin the ProtoDevelin after their release from Varuta or were they just trying to servive Zentradi through campaign of extermination?