Newbie Questions on Macross

Actually there is a fan dub. I think there is only four episodes. Check Veoh.com.

On another note. Does anybody remember all the names of the grunt cannon fodder squadrons of Macross 7?

There is Angel squadron and Emerald Thunder as far as I know.

Edited by RedWolf

QUOTE (Boggsy @ Dec 11 2009, 08:14 PM) *

Hi does anyone know where i can download a macross frontier english version, where they all speak english??? waiting for your kind reply

You mean a dub? Sorry, none exists.

Actually there is a fan dub. I think there is only four episodes. Check Veoh.com.

On another note. Does anybody remember all the names of the grunt cannon fodder squadrons of Macross 7?

There is Angel squadron and Emerald Thunder as far as I know.

Well nothing official is out, nor will there be really. But I have 1 episode out, a second to shortly follow I'm hoping this month, and there is an episode 12 version out somewhere. Course, i got the more quality work versus the other as I stuck as close to original as possible while adding a super directors cut.

I'm no expert but aren't the Zentran the males and the Meltran the females?

The term Meltran/Meltrandi is exclusive to Macross: Do You Remember Love? and Macross II: Lovers Again wherein the timeline has the all-male Zentradi forces fighting the all-female Meltrandi. In the main continuity shows, the term "Zentradi" is used to refer to both males and females, who are fighting on the same side against the Supervision Army.

Ranka is indeed 1/4 Zentradi, though exactly which side of her family the Zentradi blood comes from, and whether it comes from a male or female main continuity Zentradi is unknown.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Man, some of you guys are brutal with the newbie stuff! ;) You can search and read this forum for days and not find the tidbit that you are curious about. It always cracks me up how quickly people get slammed for asking a legit question.

I understand that Zentran in the non DYRL cannon means both male and female. However, its my understanding (from reading this and another forum and wikipedia) that MF mixes both DYRL and SDF cannon together. So, was jsut curious where that line came from. Thanks Seto for the great answer!

Man, some of you guys are brutal with the newbie stuff! ;) You can search and read this forum for days and not find the tidbit that you are curious about. It always cracks me up how quickly people get slammed for asking a legit question.

It does seem a bit extreme, doesn't it? They have a sound rationale for doing so (putting all the "newbie" questions in one easily searchable thread to prevent a RT.com-esque proliferation of new threads for the same old questions), but they could stand to be a wee bit less dismissive about it.

You may find the Search option in the upper right helpful in the future, it's quite useful so long as you remember to set it to search for stuff beyond the last 30 days.

I understand that Zentran in the non DYRL cannon means both male and female. However, its my understanding (from reading this and another forum and wikipedia) that MF mixes both DYRL and SDF cannon together. So, was jsut curious where that line came from. Thanks Seto for the great answer!

Essentially, DYRL is still a "movie-within-the-universe", a non-canon dramatization of Space War 1 done for propaganda purposes in the 2030s. I'd also classify it as a "pseudocanon" version of Space War 1. The TV series version is generally held to be the "correct" version for main continuity Macross, but the "truth" of Space War 1 is, at least according to Kawamori, somewhere inbetween. Macross's creators seem to prefer a number of DYRL designs to their TV series campy counterparts, and have been retroactively replacing them where appropriate... like the Meltrandi warships from DYRL replacing the purple-painted Zentradi ships of the TV series. There are also a number of instances of mix and match between the two, like the documentary episode of Macross 7, which shows the actor playing Vrltiwhai using his DYRL look, but the actor playing Quamzin using his TV series uniform, or the use of both types of Zentradi body armor by the 33rd Marines in Macross Frontier.

I guess it could be summed up briefly as "the truth is somewhere between SDF Macross and DYRL, with a bias toward the TV series".

The "parallel world" continuity to which Macross II: Lovers Again belongs takes a much less ambiguous road about it... making DYRL the canon version of Space War 1 and tossing the TV series altogether, but for one or two notable uses of TV series mechanical designs as the basis for new designs in that universe.

Seto, yeah it can be super complicated; thanks again for breaking it down.

MF will likely make more sense now if I look at it that way.

No problem. Glad I could help. A lot of the "borrowing" from DYRL is done with very little in the way of rhyme or reason, and seems to work mainly on "rule of cool", where so long as it looks better than what it's replacing it's all good. It's done mainly to the Zentradi, and I think the reason behind it is that the DYRL designs are somewhat less recognizably human, and appear more technologically advanced than their TV series counterparts, which lets them play up how advanced the Protoculture was, and more recently, their significant mastery of biological and biotechnological engineering.

The few applications of this to human technology and designs have all been given neat, tidy rationalizations that mainly belong to the "it was a movie" category, particularly as "later technologically upgraded version used in the filming of the movie".

PS- I've been making judicious and liberal use of the search button since my first (and hopefully last) noob move. ;)

Don't worry about it... we were all there once. ^_^

Here's another newbie question from me:

Was the notion that DYRL is a movie within the main story introduced with Macross 7 only - or was it originally intended that way? Did Kawamori and Co. give any interviews or make any statement when DYRL came out - or in the time between DYRL and Macross 7 where this was cleared up?

Given that Macross Plus was initially intended to not be a Macross story and was only later retro-fitted as Macross - I presume that the "problem" of the various time lines (foremost SDFM TV vs DYRL) only really became a problem when they sat down to do Macross 7.

In infer this above all from the fact that immediately in episode 1 the bridge bunnies talk about having seen "the movie - Do you Remember Love" - right at the very beginning - as if Kawamori felt it was necessary to insert this right away so people could watch the anime comfortably; knowing what they stand on. This theme is later explored in the episode where Max decides to make what I can only classify as his own personal B-version of DYRL...

But I'm just wondering - was this thought up only due to the needs of Macross 7 - or was it intended all along?

Pete

Here's another newbie question from me:

Was the notion that DYRL is a movie within the main story introduced with Macross 7 only - or was it originally intended that way? Did Kawamori and Co. give any interviews or make any statement when DYRL came out - or in the time between DYRL and Macross 7 where this was cleared up?

Given that Macross Plus was initially intended to not be a Macross story and was only later retro-fitted as Macross - I presume that the "problem" of the various time lines (foremost SDFM TV vs DYRL) only really became a problem when they sat down to do Macross 7.

In infer this above all from the fact that immediately in episode 1 the bridge bunnies talk about having seen "the movie - Do you Remember Love" - right at the very beginning - as if Kawamori felt it was necessary to insert this right away so people could watch the anime comfortably; knowing what they stand on. This theme is later explored in the episode where Max decides to make what I can only classify as his own personal B-version of DYRL...

But I'm just wondering - was this thought up only due to the needs of Macross 7 - or was it intended all along?

Pete

I believe it's a retcon. Certainly, the first place it was ever STATED was in the "Macross: A Future Chronicle" short film that was included on the original Japanese laser disk of Macross Plus Vol. 1. The second place it was stated was in Macross 7 episode 1.

You haven't seen Flashback 2012, have you? That relies much more on DYRL footage and designs than it does on the TV series, and yet it neatly wraps up both versions of the story. My impression (and it's ONLY my impression; I have no proof for it at all) is that they didn't really choose which version was canonical until they were more or less FORCED to...and even then (as you well know), it really doesn't matter much, since they pick and choose from either as they see fit.

Could macross zero be a alternate universe? Because macross zero takes place before the zentradi get to earth and is the last fights before the un and anti unforces join together and be peaceful, so wouldn't that mean they had robotechnology before the macross crashed?

Could macross zero be a alternate universe? Because macross zero takes place before the zentradi get to earth and is the last fights before the un and anti unforces join together and be peaceful, so wouldn't that mean they had robotechnology before the macross crashed?

Nope. watch the first episode of the series. The ship crashes in 1999 and the series takes place in 2009 and Mac0 takes place in 2008. The anti-UN never makes peace with the UN.

and don't use RT terms here, pls. :)

Edited by RDClip

Nope. watch the first episode of the series. The ship crashes in 1999 and the series takes place in 2009 and Mac0 takes place in 2008. The anti-UN never makes peace with the UN.

oh so the un defeated the anti unforces? Then what was that talk about peace happening because of the fear of being attacked from space overwhelming? Sorry for my noobish questions.

oh so the un defeated the anti unforces? Then what was that talk about peace happening because of the fear of being attacked from space overwhelming? Sorry for my noobish questions.

they didn't ever defeat the Anti-UN movement, really. Terrorists still existed in the Macross universe upto and including the macross VF-X video game, i don't know much about it though.

they didn't ever defeat the Anti-UN movement, really. Terrorists still existed in the Macross universe upto and including the macross VF-X video game, i don't know much about it though.

Oh thanks for your help ^_^ . Macross zero is one of my favorite macross movies, full of emotion and the story is great. After watching episode 10 of macross frontier I feel like watching the movie.

No Macross Zero is a prequel to SDF Macross. Also it is Overtechnology not robotechnology.

The ASS-1 crashed in 1999. This prompted reengineering of its technology and reorganization of the UN as a world government because of proof of the existence of extraterestrials. Some nations and groups did not want a world government, viewing it as world domination, this lead to the creation of the Anti-UN alliance. The so called Unification War or UN War began.

By 2007 the Anti-UN was already defeated. The Anti-UN we saw in Macross Zero, in 2008 a year before SDF-Macross, are little more than a very well funded mercenary terrorist group. Since Overtechnology was deseminated around the world the technology for the variable fighters and destroids being developed were copied.

Indeed in SDF Macross we already saw the UN and Anti-UN fight with Overtechnology conventional arms with the UN Forces F203 Dragon II fighter and Anti-UN forces MiM-31 Karyovin fighter. The former piloted also by Roy Focker.

No Macross Zero is a prequel to SDF Macross. Also it is Overtechnology not robotechnology.

The ASS-1 crashed in 1999. This prompted reengineering of its technology and reorganization of the UN as a world government because of proof of the existence of extraterestrials. Some nations and groups did not want a world government, viewing it as world domination, this lead to the creation of the Anti-UN alliance. The so called Unification War or UN War began.

By 2007 the Anti-UN was already defeated. The Anti-UN we saw in Macross Zero, in 2008 a year before SDF-Macross, are little more than a very well funded mercenary terrorist group. Since Overtechnology was deseminated around the world the technology for the variable fighters and destroids being developed were copied.

Indeed in SDF Macross we already saw the UN and Anti-UN fight with Overtechnology conventional arms with the UN Forces F203 Dragon II fighter and Anti-UN forces MiM-31 Karyovin fighter. The former piloted also by Roy Focker.

Thanks for the help.

One major difference from Robotech is that while the arrival of the ASS-1 halted a world war in progress in Robotech, in Macross its arrival started brushfire conflicts worldwide as various groups resisted the UN's efforts to form a unified world government to deal with the possible extraterrestrial threat.

The "second sun" Shin talks about in his childhood memories is the ASS-1 crashing. The fact that the AFOS relic would have remained undetected without the scavenged Overtechnology radar is even a plot point in the first episode.

Edited by hulagu

In Macross, there is no such thing as "Robotechnology." There IS "Overtechnology" - which is what human beings learned while studying the ASS-1 (known as the SDF-1) which, as you see in Macross Zero's beginning -crashes to Earth.

It is also not the "last fight" between the Un and Anti-UN forces - not really IMO. The Anti-UN did after all manage to attack Mars Base at some point - so clearly galactic warfare was something the humans were waging amongst themselves before the Zendradi showed up.

Although I could be wrong about the timing of the Mars Base attack (help someone).

Also - remember that there were places on Earth that were not under UN Spacey jurisdiction - remember that the SDF-1 was looking for a place to dump the civilians and they negotiated with Ontario or something to do so - which was independent of the UN.

Anyways - I'm happy you like Macross Zero - it is indeed full of emotion and a great, great movie.

Pete

I believe it's a retcon. Certainly, the first place it was ever STATED was in the "Macross: A Future Chronicle" short film that was included on the original Japanese laser disk of Macross Plus Vol. 1. The second place it was stated was in Macross 7 episode 1.

You haven't seen Flashback 2012, have you? That relies much more on DYRL footage and designs than it does on the TV series, and yet it neatly wraps up both versions of the story. My impression (and it's ONLY my impression; I have no proof for it at all) is that they didn't really choose which version was canonical until they were more or less FORCED to...and even then (as you well know), it really doesn't matter much, since they pick and choose from either as they see fit.

Thanks Gubaba.

I guess it's like all mythology - the original classic is a one time done deal - and later everything whether it runs closer to the original classic or farther away will somehow be drawing from the original well...

Pete

Although I could be wrong about the timing of the Mars Base attack (help someone).

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2005

August

* Withdrawal from Mars Base led by Harry Miler.

September

* The third Oberth class space destroyer Tsiolkovsky is hijacked by the Anti-U.N. Military Organization.

September 8

* 1800: The return fleet from Mars is destroyed with 3055 U.N. forces personnel onboard by this [aforementioned] destroyer's attack.

September 10

* Official announcement of the Mars return fleet's destruction by the U.N. Military Headquarters.

September

* The U.N. Forces destroy the Anti-U.N. Military Organization's captured space destroyer Tsiolkovsky via an attack with reaction weaponry by Captain Bruno J. Global's space destroyer Goddard. (First use of reaction weaponry in actual combat.)

To quote Kyle Reece:

"The year!!! What year is it!??!?"

;)

Pete

If you look at his link Pete, it clearly says 2005. You don't even have to click it. ;)

Edited by Master Dex

OOps :)

I was so focused on the quote-block that I didn't notice there was a link to look at.

2005 eh? Seems like ages ago now... and yet I remember when I was a kid - Transformers the Movie taking place in 2005 seemed like the far off future...

Pete

Yeah, I am only 20, but I feel the same way Pete. Of course it was like 2000 when I first saw the 1986 Transformers movie.

To think though one alternate Universe an alien spaceship gives us the ability to have a colony on Mars sometime between 1999 and 2005, but for us we will not likely have such a colony for at least 50 years at best.

However given the ultimate fate of Earth because of that same alien spaceship, I can't really complain all that much.

Some random questions about valkyries:

1. Does the Super ostrich ever appear in Battroid? In DYRL you see it in Gerwalk but that's it.

2. Come to think of it, any particular reason its called the "Super Ostrich?"

3. Does the Elintseeker ever appear in Battroid or Gerwalk?

4. In DYRL you see a valk in Armor Parts... the blue, white and red scheme. Do the Urban Camo or Woodland schemes appear ever or is this considered non-canon?

5. Are there 1/60 decal/sticker sheets for the Minmay Guard scheme available anywhere?

Some random questions about valkyries:

Always good... the more esoteric the better in my opinion.

1. Does the Super ostrich ever appear in Battroid? In DYRL you see it in Gerwalk but that's it.

In the animation? Yes, it does... though not the military-use version seen in Macross: Do You Remember Love?. In Macross Dynamite 7, the commercial version (VT-1C) is shown to be used by both pirates and private citizens, and Basara briefly pilots an olive-drab VT-1C he "borrowed" from the Hoyly family in his first attempt to sing to the galactic whales.

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the "Valkyrie Work" (for want of a better name) that also briefly appears in Macross Dynamite 7 doing construction in space is probably a commercial-use VT-1 as well... though it's painted orange with some yellow and black striped hazard trim.

2. Come to think of it, any particular reason its called the "Super Ostrich?"

None that I'm aware of... the only such "unofficial codename" that I think has an established reason is probably the VEFR-1 Electronic Warfare Valkyrie, which is referred to as the "Funny Chinese" because of the radome's position in battroid mode makes it look vaguely like it's wearing one of those conical straw hats.

3. Does the Elintseeker ever appear in Battroid or Gerwalk?

Can't think of a time it does off the top of my head, no...

4. In DYRL you see a valk in Armor Parts... the blue, white and red scheme. Do the Urban Camo or Woodland schemes appear ever or is this considered non-canon?

Aside from the so-called "dark bird" paint scheme which briefly appears in Super Dimension Fortress Macross ep5 and the dark gray/black paintjob on the VF-17D/S Nightmare in Macross 7, which could possibly both be interpreted as space-use or night combat-use stealth paintjobs, I don't think there are any canon camo-type paintjobs. It does seem a bit futile, since no amount of camo paint is going to make it hard to spot a 40 foot tall robot stomping around a city or through the woods.

5. Are there 1/60 decal/sticker sheets for the Minmay Guard scheme available anywhere?

Can't help ya there, but if you post in the "Wanted" section I'm sure someone will be able to point you in the right direction.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

EDIT: I'm not entirely sure, but I believe the "Valkyrie Work" (for want of a better name) that also briefly appears in Macross Dynamite 7 doing construction in space is probably a commercial-use VT-1 as well... though it's painted orange with some yellow and black striped hazard trim.

battroidwork.jpg

Me I just call them Battroid Work. It was shown building the new Battle 7.

Just a question: does anyone has extra info about YF-25? After seeing the manual at Dalong.net, I fall in love with YF-25's design. :)

I don't think there is any direct info yet referering to the YF-25. (Meaning directly called YF-25)

The only clue to the VF-25's developmental history is here.

Well unless you want to call that the YF-25 by default.

Heyo

Been thinking lately and WHAT IF the SDF-1 wasn't forced to accomodate the 80,000 Macross civilians, like how many VF's and Destroids would it be able to accomodate inside its interior? Macrosspedia states that the DYRL SDF-1 housed around 300+ VF's and 587 Destroids so I'm guessing, giving its dimensions and all, it'd be able to house two or three times as many mecha.

What do you guys think?

Heyo

Been thinking lately and WHAT IF the SDF-1 wasn't forced to accomodate the 80,000 Macross civilians, like how many VF's and Destroids would it be able to accomodate inside its interior? Macrosspedia states that the DYRL SDF-1 housed around 300+ VF's and 587 Destroids so I'm guessing, giving its dimensions and all, it'd be able to house two or three times as many mecha.

What do you guys think?

Short answer: many.

Long answer: it can house hundreds of thousands. However, in doing so, there won't be room to move them around, let alone deploy them in combat.

Also, there weren't that many created by the time of it's launch - basically only enough VF-1 were created to fill the Prometheus and the UN Headquarters in Alaska. In addition, the interior of the SDF-1 isn't designed to support VF operations (refeuling, rearming, repairing, etc.).

Therefore, the main limit is the capacity of the Prometheus (SDFM) or the ARMD (DYRL), which is 150 and 262x2 respectively. Therefore, even the figure of 300+ is inflated, and not representative of the operational capacity.

And what of that other figure of 212? How many of those are combat ready? How many require significant time* to make combat ready?

*The definition of significant time here is longer than it takes the Zentraadi, after being first detected, to arrive and make their attack run. Referring to general attacks by Regults and Gluags, and not the first battle per se.