Newbie Questions on Macross

Thanks guys.

So in essence, much like his line drawings, his sense of storytelling is ambiguous, inconsistent and nonsensical. Got it :lol:

LOL... Well, for what is worth... the man has been involved on so many anime projects doing anything from the story to the mecha designs that I really don't blame him about it. Give the guy a break... :lol:

Btw... Wait until you see the Macross The First Manga... Just another Macross production with different uniform, mecha and situations on it...

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

I have a question. I apologize in advance if it's been discussed previously; I went through roughly 10 pages of the thread and saw nothing about it.

All of the "sequel" Macross series seem to be derivatives of DYRL more than the TV series; I'm basing myself off of, among other things, the fact that the Q-Rea in Flontier is much closer in design to the film Q-Rau than that of the TV series, as are the Queadluun suits in Mac 7. Further, the few flashback sequences we see in EP1 of Frontier are of the film and not the TV series. Has the TV series somehow been orphaned from the official timeline in favor of the movie, or am I missing something altogether?

I guess Kawamori simply forced better designs into canon. Or do you seriously think it is good the VF-1 cockpit with 20 levers??

LOL... Well, for what is worth... the man has been involved on so many anime projects doing anything from the story to the mecha designs that I really don't blame him about it. Give the guy a break... :lol:

Btw... Wait until you see the Macross The First Manga... Just another Macross production with different uniform, mecha and situations on it...

That means more reason to make more toys, models or figures! What it translates to fans means a lighter wallet and a crapload of credit card bills.

I have a question. I apologize in advance if it's been discussed previously; I went through roughly 10 pages of the thread and saw nothing about it.

All of the "sequel" Macross series seem to be derivatives of DYRL more than the TV series; I'm basing myself off of, among other things, the fact that the Q-Rea in Flontier is much closer in design to the film Q-Rau than that of the TV series, as are the Queadluun suits in Mac 7. Further, the few flashback sequences we see in EP1 of Frontier are of the film and not the TV series. Has the TV series somehow been orphaned from the official timeline in favor of the movie, or am I missing something altogether?

Well after he and Miyatake refined the designs in DYRL it became an aesthetic choice to follow the DYRL designs rather than the TV series'. The newer designs were much more dramatic looking and no doubt part of it became the legal entanglements associated with SDFM at the time. With the courts finally siding with BigWest, we got to see some of the TV designs resurrected in Frontier, i.e. the Zentradi personal armor on Gallia IV.

Should BigWest choose to update the animation of SDFM for the show's 30th anniversary in 5 years I would expect the DYRL designs to take precedence over the original show's to further differentiate the franchise and the show from the old Tatsunoko owned animation.

However, we have no idea if such a production would happen. IMO it would make good business sense to do so and from a creative point of view it would allow the production team to tighten up and harmonize the story in some places...

Well after he and Miyatake refined the designs in DYRL it became an aesthetic choice to follow the DYRL designs rather than the TV series'. The newer designs were much more dramatic looking and no doubt part of it became the legal entanglements associated with SDFM at the time. With the courts finally siding with BigWest, we got to see some of the TV designs resurrected in Frontier, i.e. the Zentradi personal armor on Gallia IV.

Should BigWest choose to update the animation of SDFM for the show's 30th anniversary in 5 years I would expect the DYRL designs to take precedence over the original show's to further differentiate the franchise and the show from the old Tatsunoko owned animation.

However, we have no idea if such a production would happen. IMO it would make good business sense to do so and from a creative point of view it would allow the production team to tighten up and harmonize the story in some places...

Mmm...that's not entirely true. Tatsunoko worked on DYRL as well ( http://www.tatsunoko.co.jp/works/index.html Look at the bottom of the page, under "MOVIE"), so Big West isn't avoiding anything by using DYRL designs. Big West and Studio Nue own all the designs, so they can do whatever they want with them.

I have to admit, though...I just don't understand why people worry about this and why the issue seems so vitally important. Neither the TV series nor the movie "happened." It's all fiction, so why sweat the small stuff?

Not a newb question, just a question. Do we know what happened to the Nome girls' parents? If so, how did it happen?

I don't recall an explanation in the anime...

Sara and Mao? Orphans whose parents conviniently pass away before the story. The fact they are a memory treasured by the girls were emphasized.

If your asking about Mao's daughter who is Sheryl's mom I suspect Grace had her killed with her husband for Sheryl to be an orphan. Waiting to be conviniently manipulated by her. She did the same to Brera. Suffice to say Grace's grudge on Mao and Ranshe extended to their families.

Mmm...that's not entirely true. Tatsunoko worked on DYRL as well ( http://www.tatsunoko.co.jp/works/index.html Look at the bottom of the page, under "MOVIE"), so Big West isn't avoiding anything by using DYRL designs. Big West and Studio Nue own all the designs, so they can do whatever they want with them.

I have to admit, though...I just don't understand why people worry about this and why the issue seems so vitally important. Neither the TV series nor the movie "happened." It's all fiction, so why sweat the small stuff?

True, however, I doubt Tatsunoko had the same deal for DYRL as they had with SDFM. By 1983 BigWest was swimming in money from their hit show (if one considers how much merchandise was produced for the show and how many licenses were sold for said merchandise). So it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't pay for DYRL with cash!!! ;)

Though if memory serves me correctly, the international distribution rights for DYRL are still a mess. I heard BW sold dist rights to everyone back in 1984, to get the movie shown all over Asia. Now, they simply don't know where all the rights are held anymore and by whom!

Sara and Mao? Orphans whose parents conviniently pass away before the story. The fact they are a memory treasured by the girls were emphasized.

If your asking about Mao's daughter who is Sheryl's mom I suspect Grace had her killed with her husband for Sheryl to be an orphan. Waiting to be conviniently manipulated by her. She did the same to Brera. Suffice to say Grace's grudge on Mao and Ranshe extended to their families.

The "girls'" as in Sara and Mao. Though I guess I shouldn't be surprised that the reason for their parents death is so ambiguous.... :rolleyes:

True, however, I doubt Tatsunoko had the same deal for DYRL as they had with SDFM. By 1983 BigWest was swimming in money from their hit show (if one considers how much merchandise was produced for the show and how many licenses were sold for said merchandise). So it wouldn't surprise me if they didn't pay for DYRL with cash!!! ;)

Though if memory serves me correctly, the international distribution rights for DYRL are still a mess. I heard BW sold dist rights to everyone back in 1984, to get the movie shown all over Asia. Now, they simply don't know where all the rights are held anymore and by whom!

Good point.

And I've heard the thing about the rights, too.

I still stay the answer is for someone from here to place an ad in Variety (or something like that) just saying, "COMING SOON ON DVD: Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Do You Remember Love."

We'd find out who owns the rights pretty damn quick, I think. ^_^

(This, by the way, is what the producers of Friday the 13th did in order to find out if anyone else had the rights to that title.)

Good point.

And I've heard the thing about the rights, too.

I still stay the answer is for someone from here to place an ad in Variety (or something like that) just saying, "COMING SOON ON DVD: Super Dimension Fortress Macross - Do You Remember Love."

We'd find out who owns the rights pretty damn quick, I think. ^_^

(This, by the way, is what the producers of Friday the 13th did in order to find out if anyone else had the rights to that title.)

Deviously clever... ;)

That means more reason to make more toys, models or figures! What it translates to fans means a lighter wallet and a crapload of credit card bills.

Meh I'm getting tired of trying to keep with all the new releases that bandai and yamato are making... It's just becoming too much time and money for releases that are mostly the same aside from some scalability and repaint differences. I'll still keep a decent collection of a few unique must have's but nothing more than that. My money could be put to use for better thing's IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Most of the Macross 5 fleet has been destroyed. With the question whether City 5 was intact. The Protodevlin took it along with the civilians.

As far as we know most of the civilian populace and partially the military of Macross 5 survived.

Question is whether they would try again or give up? Assuming they got a financial backing of course.

In Macross Frontier giving up and calling help from Earth is an option.

In Macross Frontier we get the impression that Macross fleets are nations by themselves. Macross Fivers have their own culture being all Zentradi.

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but I just couldn't find it anywhere...And I've discussed it with many people and get different answers from everyone. So I was hoping for a Macross expert answer.

Where does Shin go at the end of Zero?? Is him taking flight a metaphor for his death?

Hi, I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, but I just couldn't find it anywhere...And I've discussed it with many people and get different answers from everyone. So I was hoping for a Macross expert answer.

Where does Shin go at the end of Zero?? Is him taking flight a metaphor for his death?

i believe shin survived, i think i heard once that the movie version of macross zero in frontier is based on shin's autobiography. so i still kinda have no idea wtf the end of zero is supposed to mean.

i believe shin survived, i think i heard once that the movie version of macross zero in frontier is based on shin's autobiography.

Written by Dr. Mao Nome.

Time for the ambiguity answer (the official statement). Shin's VF-0 sank into the ocean then when the "Bird Human" went off into space. That VF-0 then surfaced from the water, surrounded by a blue light, and followed the "Bird Human" into space. :lol:

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Being that there are 50 pages and I can't read ALL the witty banter which that entails...I have a question about mecha

Is the destroid monster that we see in SDFM the same model as the one that we see in frontier? If so, did we see it transform into fighter/bomber mode in the old series? Or was that sort of added as a retcon along the way?

Being that there are 50 pages and I can't read ALL the witty banter which that entails...I have a question about mecha

Is the destroid monster that we see in SDFM the same model as the one that we see in frontier? If so, did we see it transform into fighter/bomber mode in the old series? Or was that sort of added as a retcon along the way?

It's not a retcon, it's a completely different model. The old one couldn't transform. :)

The old one.

The new one.

Edited by Gubaba

What is a Bodol Zer mobile fortress? The picture you have is the Botoru* Flagship. (This Is Animation the Select #11: 86)

Anyhow, name-game aside, it's a "Mobile Fortress". (Macross Digitial Mission VF-X Flight Manual: 22, Macross Chronicle #25: 26) Nothing more, nothing less.

We can only presume that there are multiple classes of mobile fortresses (SDFM, DYRL (the Botoru Flagship actually being a Westpoint Training ship with holographic projections, and the Moruku Rapuramizu* (Macross Chronicle #22: 07)), MDM VF-X, and a host of others that have appeared in the Macross II timeline; the Neld fleet one comes to mind first).

* Non-standard romanization: Botol

** Non-standard romanization: Mork Laplamiz

Can someone tell me in which Macross publication I can see the deck plans and the inside of the SDF-1 Macross please ? Pre or post 2012 refit, I don't care.

I'm not aware of any official publication that actually gives the deck plans and interior layouts for the SDF-1 Macross in its pre- or post-refit form. Macross: Perfect Memory and Macross Chronicle have given interior layouts for a few areas of the ship, but the only notable bits are a bridge layout and a largely unlabeled top-down view of part of the city. I think This is Animation #11: DYRL and/or the Gold Book have an image showing how part of the city is oriented inside one of the engine blocks, but that's about it.

Palladium Books and Dream Pod 9 concocted an interior layout for the Macross II-era SDF-1 Macross as part of one the supplementary materials books for Palladium's Macross II role-playing game. Naturally it's completely unofficial, but if you want to give it a look it's in Macross II: Deck Plans Volume 3.

I'm not aware of any official publication that actually gives the deck plans and interior layouts for the SDF-1 Macross in its pre- or post-refit form. Macross: Perfect Memory and Macross Chronicle have given interior layouts for a few areas of the ship, but the only notable bits are a bridge layout and a largely unlabeled top-down view of part of the city. I think This is Animation #11: DYRL and/or the Gold Book have an image showing how part of the city is oriented inside one of the engine blocks, but that's about it.

Palladium Books and Dream Pod 9 concocted an interior layout for the Macross II-era SDF-1 Macross as part of one the supplementary materials books for Palladium's Macross II role-playing game. Naturally it's completely unofficial, but if you want to give it a look it's in Macross II: Deck Plans Volume 3.

My mistake. For some reason I thought Macross007 wanted bridge plans... :unsure: