Newbie Questions on Macross

Something I have been wondering, is there any information on the lifespan of the Zentradi? I remember in Robotech it was implied in the secondary sources that teh Zentradi could live for a few hundred years, with both Breetai and Exedore being pretty damn old. Is that the same in the Macross universe? Or do most Zentradi only live about as long as a human does? If they do live longer, has the intermingling of genes meant extended lives for the mixed race humans?

I would assume the transformation systems in the Valkyries are self-monitoring and would not transform if one or more transformation systems would cause damage to the craft in doing so. Some Valkyries have as few as 16 articulated mechanisms (such as the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II), so monitoring them should be easy given the level of technology used in the variable fighters. The VF-2SS Valkyrie II is actually one of the more complex valkyrie transformations, requiring 26 articulated mechanisms to transform. So it may be more prone to problems than other valkyries.

There may also be a lot of give and take in the transformation system of a valkyrie, owing to their apparent robust nature. Even normal operation without any damage would make transformation impossible when you think about it. Vibration and expansion/contraction due to heat/cold are everyday factors that would impact a transformation system. So the articulated mechanisms for transformation must be self-correcting to a certain degree. If the transformation system can handle such stress, it's probably able to adjust and move around damaged parts to achieve transformation. Granted, if a major section of the valkyrie has be torn out or has been warped, transforming might be impossible. But within a certain error margin, self-correction is likely possible.

Something I have been wondering, is there any information on the lifespan of the Zentradi? I remember in Robotech it was implied in the secondary sources that teh Zentradi could live for a few hundred years, with both Breetai and Exedore being pretty damn old. Is that the same in the Macross universe? Or do most Zentradi only live about as long as a human does? If they do live longer, has the intermingling of genes meant extended lives for the mixed race humans?

Zentradi genetics are nearly identical to humans, so it would appear they have comparable life spans. Max and Milia appear to age (or not age, depending upon how you look at it) at the same rate. Guld (half Zentradi, Half Human) aged at same rate as Isamu and Myung, so his Zentradi heritage did not appear to slow the aging process.

There are some exceptions. In DYRL, Bodolzaa claimed to have been alive for thousands of years, though he was obviously a different type of Zentradi than the others. He was clearly bio-mechanical to a large degree. Britai and Exedol also appear to be built differently than other Zentradi, but whether their life cycle has also changed along with their skills/appearance is unknown.

Who was the VA for Wendy Ryder in the Japanese MacII? I can't find her on any of the credit lists for the OAVs? I see her in english, but not the Japanese. Were the OP and ED of Mac II supposed to be Wendy songs, or were they separate?

They were separate. The OP and ED were sung by Mika Kaneko (金子美香) (who apparently has a number of albums out from the late '80s and early '90s).

Wendy was voiced (and sung) by Yukio Satou (佐藤幸世), who also did something for "Fighbird" (which I have to admit I've never heard of before), but apparently little else.

EDIT: Oh wait...she also did this:

Edited by Gubaba

OK thanks. Hard keeping all the songs straight.

It's funny how the Macross Universe has had bubblegum pop, techno, regular rock, acid jazz, dance music and all of that.

But never rap, or more importantly, the greatest of all genres YACHT ROCK!

I mean, if they loved Minmay, imagine their reaction to the ever so smooth stylings of Michael MacDonald and Kenny Loggins. B))

So, you're saying the park along the top surface of the ship isn't an eco-system? (Not to mention that materials (water, air, etc.) are all recycled, thereby making it a closed eco-system, with or without flora and fauna).

Nevertheless, having an environment (park, Sunny Flower, Riviera, Environment ship, etc.) isn't what makes a New Macross class Super Long Range Emigration Fleet. The Macross 5 fleet has no such vessels nor does City 5 have any parks.

OK, eco-system would be an incorrect term on my part. Frontier, specifically, and city 7, possibly, would better be described as a Biosphere, where the environment is self sustaining. A park without air or moisture would die, much like a plant under glass. A City ship / Megaroad park would be a limited ecosystem, artificially maintained aboard the colony ship.

Also, get your terminology straight : 移民 translates as emigrant/immigrant, NOT as colonist/colony.

And your relevant point is? Emmigrants / colonists are essentially the same thing aboard these fleets. Semantics really don't change who and what they are.

?? New Macross Class Super Long Range Emigration fleet means fleets like Macross 5, 7, and so on. Focusing on the concept of ships named Macross is missing the point.

You've misread facts, or haven't read all the facts that have been translated. A plurality of Macross class ships (I take that as two, possibly more) where attached to each and every Megaroad Class Super Long Range Emigration fleet. Those fleets were never referred to as anything buy "Megaroad class Super Long Range Emigration Fleet".

Not sure what you are trying to say.

I am referring to the idea that "Macross" designated ships are transforming capital ships and by extension, fleets that have such ships can be considered "Macross" (in universe) fleets by virtue of the existence of those type of ships in the fleet, though not necessarily officially referred to as such.

I am not suggesting that the Megaroad fleets were mis-named. From what I can tell, the reasoning for the term "Macross" in the naming of the new fleets can be attributed to the fact that New Macross Class carriers are attached to the fleets (that and it makes the fleet easily identifiable to the viewers as a Macross show).

The introduction of the "Macross Quarter" changed what we've once believed constituted a Macross Type vessel, which was a 1200+m long warship. In the case of M7 and MF these ships were attached to emigration fleets.

And your relevant point is? Emmigrants / colonists are essentially the same thing aboard these fleets. Semantics really don't change who and what they are.

Emigrant - someone who leaves one country to settle in another

Immigrant - a person who comes to a country where they were not born in order to settle there

Colonist - a person who takes over and settles land

I agree that emigrant and immigrant is arguing semantics (and it's more related to the origin and destination countries than the process itself), but emigrant and immigrant are seperate and distinct actions from colonist. You may have a different definition, being from a different country, thus I have provided the one I'm using.

Nevertheless, as this is stemming from Japanese:

移民 - emigrant/immigrant: http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dose...%AF&WC=none

植民 - colonization/colonisation: http://linear.mv.com/cgi-bin/j-e/sjis/dose...%AF&WC=none

The Japanese term for Super Long Range Emigration Fleet is: 超長距離移民船団.

Not sure what you are trying to say.

I said: "check your facts first, before posting your opinions and assumptions". ;)

I am referring to the idea that "Macross" (...)

Yeah, so? That has no bearing on the original point I was making. That being the facts A, B, C, and D here. The rest of the post after that was couched in language that clarified that I was stating my opinion, or did you miss that?

Feel free to start your own thread discussing the use of "Macross" as a term for a specific kind of ship. Perhaps you can even start by asking if an emigration fleet is really the first to find a planet and do the actual colonisation, or if it follows after another, dedicated ship or fleet, that finds suitable planets and establishes a colony, which the emigrants of an emigration fleet later immigrate into.

Edited by sketchley

Now your just nickpicking sketchley. Whether they find and planet or not their residential ships are colony ships.

Designed to carry thousands or millions of people for decades.

One of the likely reasons why another Three Star were added to Macross 7 in 2047 is because of the increase of population of taking in survivors of two lost colony fleets.

Now your just nickpicking sketchley.

I have to agree with sketchley, 'emigrant' and 'colony/colonist' are very different words in the English language.

For example, you could correctly say:

In the 19th century, the Statue of Liberty greeted the emigrants from Europe.

However, it would incorrect to say:

In the 19th century, the Statue of Liberty greeted the colonists from Europe.

Colony fleets that don't actually colonize. Fascinating :lol:

I agree with Marchy... :rolleyes:

Semantics are fine, however they don't address or describe who and what the inhabitants of these fleets actually are, "Colonists en-route". Lone Wolf's assertion applys to known countries or worlds. The Mayflower carried emigrants, colonists or both? A ship going from the Earth to Eden would carry emigrants, not colonists.

There is no dispute as to what the fleets are actually called. The term "Macross" can be considered superfuluous unless you are trying to identify the series to a franchise fanbase. The 7th Super Long Distance Emigration Ship could just as accurately been called "Emigration 7" or or "City 7". The 25th Super Long Distance Emigration ship could also be simply called "Frontier". However, it really doesn't identify the show as a Macross show this way does it?

I am offering a proposed reason for the term "Macross" in the naming convention for newbs who may be confused by the multiple terminology of fleet identification.

I have read that Exsedol underwent some genetic modifications or some crap after SDFM, which explains how he looks in 7. Where is that mentioned? I've gone through 7 itself and don't remember it ever being talked about.

Also, does Movie/7 Exsedol have arms? He also seems freakishly tall, but I guess that might just be the dreaded Macross-on-a-budget-can't-draw-to-scale-syndrome.

Does anyone have any scans for Macross 0? Looked every where but could not find any. It's for my DVD label project now that I am done with the corrections Frontier now I am going to start a new project for my Macross 0 disk I recieved three years ago , it's been without a label for a long time.

Edited by VF-18S Hornet

I just uploaded the booklets to the M Zero DVDs. I should have uploaded this a while ago. It's got all of the covers and booklets but I'm not sure if there are images of the disks themselves. There is a book under the 'archive scans' tag that has some Zero art as well (Only of the VF-0 series and the SV-51 I think).

Archive Scans

I have read that Exsedol underwent some genetic modifications or some crap after SDFM, which explains how he looks in 7. Where is that mentioned? I've gone through 7 itself and don't remember it ever being talked about.

Also, does Movie/7 Exsedol have arms? He also seems freakishly tall, but I guess that might just be the dreaded Macross-on-a-budget-can't-draw-to-scale-syndrome.

IMO, Exedol is a Librarian type Zentran, so he decide to have bigger brain to store information, I don't know whether he still have the tentacle arms, I fear what might happened to Battle 7 bridge bunnies when Max is not in the bridge :blink: .

Edited by Morpheus

Well, I understand the rationale behind the whole modification thing, I was still wondering about where that was stated in the first place. And hey, those bunnies wanted some of that Zentran action after "The Fleet of the Strongest Women". But in both DYRL and M7 we do never see his arms, just those weird tentacle thingies. He also looks like that in Macross: The First, which makes me wonder if they are going to miclone him in that one.

So yeah, anyone know where it was mentioned?

And one new thing I saw on wiki:

for Frontier ending

Over the course of the series, it was shown that the "Secret Cybernetic Human/Zentradi Organization" had already achieved a cybernetic collective of minds based on Vajra research. At least five voices are heard throughout the series (four male and two female including Grace's) as part of this group. Series creator Shoji Kawamori has recently revealed that they are in fact the executive directors of the Macross Galaxy fleet. It is through this link and the use of cybernetic implants that they were able to enslave unwilling individuals like Brera Sterne to act as their agents. It is believed that it was only with the arrival of Grace O'Connor with her research theory of the Vajra being a collective space lifeform that their objective rose to a galaxy-wide scale. Also, O'Connor's death didn't mean that was the end of the conspiracy, since it was stated that her real "body" was still on the intact Main Galaxy Island, in the novel.

Which is kinda what I thought, never imagined that the death would stick, but has anyone read these novels where it states the above?

Edited by bishopcruz

I just uploaded the booklets to the M Zero DVDs. I should have uploaded this a while ago. It's got all of the covers and booklets but I'm not sure if there are images of the disks themselves. There is a book under the 'archive scans' tag that has some Zero art as well (Only of the VF-0 series and the SV-51 I think).

Archive Scans

Thanks I don't know how question/post ended up here on this thread but thanks.

I guess it is from the M7 episode, that Basara sings with the space whales.

That would be Dynamite 7...

3. macross plus. Not essential since it is just a sidestory, but it gives a good backstory of how the early VF-19 and VF-22 started out and why human pilots haven't been replaced by AI. (notice how in macross they have no AI controlled ships like other science fiction shows? Maybe the events here made humans too paranoid?) It IS however worth watching for the cool dogfights and music. One of my fave's at least.

Actually Macross has have had AI fighters since the QF-3000 in SDF:M. Not to mention the VF-11 drones and Neo Glaug. Only that this time a ground breaking tech came to be competing with the latest VF technology.

Bio Neural chips have a self preservation protocol which could make tham dangerous. That is why in Macross Frontier Ghosts were dumbed down.

Macross Galaxy goes the other way around making the V-9 Ghosts and VF-27 Lucifer.

5. Macross Zero. Learn more about the anti-un, and what happened when PC aliens first came to earth. This being even before the events of the crashed ASS-1/SDF-1 ship seen in the SDF:M tv series. The new radar system gained from technology from the ASS-1/SDF-1 allowed them to find the AFOS which is ancient technology from when the few ProtoCulture people who wanted to escape from war first came to earth and altered the genes of the native life on earth to start again. (this may explain why we look just like the giants and why in SDF:M there is controversy about the similarities we have to the "evil, bad aliens" which some higher ups refuse to admit :D. ) DYRL also has this similar 'origin story' where it's explained some of the PC lived on earth for a short time and submerged the city hoping to come back one day and have it rise up out of the water again to live on earth again, ...but they never returned... Some interesting characters in this: superstitious technophobic religious zealot (girl) meeting with lone untrusting-of-new-things pilot (boy) who learns to trusting in the power of love (the 'force' which deactivates the weapons of the angry god) saving humanity from earth-destroying death ray. Similar to DYRL without reliance on pop stars and the cheesiness of needing to sing and dance to aliens. :D

The Unification War happened after the ASS-1 crashed. That is why the prologue Shin witnessed the crash of the ASS-1.

The Anti-UN is a response to the Unity world government. Countries or individuals not wanting a one government controling the planet.

The Birdman was doomsday device left on Earth around 10,000 years before just in case humanity became an aggresive interstellar species. Based upon the Vajra queen.

Supposedly all records of Earth was lost 500,000 years ago, just a few months before the Protodevlin started wiping out the Protoculture.

Guess the Protoculture found Earth again and some mingled with the natives.

Humans got a dumber deal than Zolans who got furry three eyed snakes that can translate ancient Protoculture writing.

Guess the Protoculture didn't want to piss off Galactic Whales anymore than Vajra.

Bio Neural chips have a self preservation protocol which could make tham dangerous. That is why in Macross Frontier Ghosts were dumbed down.

The implication seemed to be that it wasn't a protocol so much as an underlying issue with the technology itself causing certain tendencies(I think Manga's subs used the word 'instinct', but it's been quite a while).

Protocol would mean it was intentionally coded in by the designers, and hence easily fixable.

Banning the technology indicates it was an unfixable or very difficult problem inherent to the technology. And the implication seemed to be that it was caused by the organic squishy bits thinking just a tad too much like organic squishy creatures.

The implication seemed to be that it wasn't a protocol so much as an underlying issue with the technology itself causing certain tendencies(I think Manga's subs used the word 'instinct', but it's been quite a while).

Protocol would mean it was intentionally coded in by the designers, and hence easily fixable.

Banning the technology indicates it was an unfixable or very difficult problem inherent to the technology. And the implication seemed to be that it was caused by the organic squishy bits thinking just a tad too much like organic squishy creatures.

Banning something due to a few high profile misuses/experiments rather than intrinsic dangers might seem silly, but it's one of those things people do. Especially when they're things with complex and hot-buttoned philosophical issues attached to them. Even more especially when they're being fielded by a military even more into the romanticism of the fighter pilot than that of the real world. Even even more with the whole Protoculture experiment in proxy warfare and how that turned out. It's speculation, of course, but it's very easy to assume it was banned primarily/solely for very non-technical reasons.

Going to repost my question here this time:

Posted before at movies and tv series but someone moved to model kits (curse him :p ), and all they can do is tell me there what kind of ink i should paint. <_< Even after i explained that i wasn't making any sort of model kit!!!!!

http://www.macrossworld.com/mwf/index.php?showtopic=29837

Now,

If Valks were real, how they painting would be??? They are usually white so would it be like the commercial airplanes that aren't opaque??? Or it would be opaque just like real world jets but that are usually grey???

Was it ever officially ilustrated by Kawamori or any other artist??????

For a 3d model, just trying a more real approach.

Thx!!!