Newbie Questions on Macross

Most likely a clean up mission. Given the size of the galaxy, it is no surprise that it took them 10 years to track it down.

(...)

It's not so much that it took 10 years, but that the defold reaction effects took 10 years to travel to an area that they just happened to be searching in, and were able to detect it.

During its enemy search operation for Supervision Army survivors, the fleet happened to detect traces of an Supervision Army gun destroyer's (Macross's) defold reaction from 10 light years away and came in pursuit. Macross's Main Cannon automatically fires.

http://macross.anime.net/wiki/2009

I've seen Britai's age listed as 34, for what it's worth. I've never seen an age for Exsedol or Bodolzaa, however. I'd imagine that SDFM Bodolzaa is nowhere near as old as DYRL Bodolzaa, but that's just me.

Yea, Britai's age is listed in Macross Guide Book. The book also lists Laplamiz's age as 24, but has Quamzin listed as 22 instead of the Compendium's 23.

It's not so much that it took 10 years, but that the defold reaction effects took 10 years to travel to an area that they just happened to be searching in, and were able to detect it.

Which raises the question of what the defold reaction effects are? Also your interpretation is based on the assumption that the defold reaction effects travel at the speed of light.

During its enemy search operation for Supervision Army survivors, the fleet happened to detect traces of an Supervision Army gun destroyer's (Macross's) defold reaction from 10 light years away and came in pursuit. Macross's Main Cannon automatically fires.

A literal reading of this translation would put the Zentran fleet at 10 light years from earth when the Macross defolded--- and then the Zentraedi took however many months to organise to fold into Earth's orbit, which would be the time where humans rebuilt the Macross. Unless the original Japanese has a different meaning?

I knew there was a logical explanation, I just couldn't remember it.

Thanks B))

Which raises the question of what the defold reaction effects are? Also your interpretation is based on the assumption that the defold reaction effects travel at the speed of light.

Well if it's like an EMP or microwave radio burst, it would take approximately 10 years for the signal to travel 10 light years since radio signals travel at the speed of light.

A literal reading of this translation would put the Zentran fleet at 10 light years from earth when the Macross defolded--- and then the Zentraedi took however many months to organise to fold into Earth's orbit, which would be the time where humans rebuilt the Macross. Unless the original Japanese has a different meaning?

It really doesn't read very well.

It took the Vritai fleet 10 years to fold to Earth from 10 light years away?

I think the story is meant to be that Vritai happened accross the residual affects of a defold 10 light years away while on a SAD (Search and Destroy) mission against the SA.

I don't think the two are meant to be directly related.

Edited by Zinjo

There are multiple ways to interpret the English translation. However, given that fold travel allows for faster than light travel, and we know that Eden (11.7 light years from Earth) was explored and colonized in 2013 by humans that left Earth no earlier than January 2012, it's entirely logical that the fold effects travel at the speed of light and the Zentraedi were busy doing something else for the 10 years.

This is presuming thatit's the same group of Zentraedi. 10 years is a long time, and it hasn't been clearly established how the war with the Supervision Army progresses - constant battles? Brief encounters followed by years, decades, or centuries of stasis sleep until the next encounter?

I've just finished Macross F and I wondered:

Was that Minmay (sic) singing in the final battle? I've listened several times and I'm sure I'm hearing three distinct voices.

Nice to see some familiar things in F though (the robo-can sweeper was also seen in DYRL!)

I've just finished Macross F and I wondered:

Was that Minmay (sic) singing in the final battle? I've listened several times and I'm sure I'm hearing three distinct voices.

Nice to see some familiar things in F though (the robo-can sweeper was also seen in DYRL!)

The third distinct voice is Sakamoto Maaya, who voices Ranka's mother. In universe, I figured it was the Vajra who sang, kind of like in ep 14.

Of course that's technically after the final battle... until then its all Ranka and Sheryl

I have a question about the Macross series. I've been wondering if everything after SDF:Macross is a sequel to DYRL? Like II, Plus, 7, and Frontier. Are they in the same timeline as SDF:Macross or DYRL?

There's things that make me think that everything takes place in the DYRL timeline, such as Ai Oboete Imasu ka being remembered and sung in 7 and Frontier. Also, Hikaru's Valkyrie from DYRL is on top of the school in Frontier.

Also, I'm not sure if Ai Oboete Imasu Ka was sung in SDF:Macross, but I'm sure it wasn't. :ph34r:

In 7 it was established that DYRL was also a movie within the SDFM timeline universe as well, so that's why DYRL, the song, is known by everyone there too. I do seem to recall that the in-universe version of DYRL was somehow different from ours though.

Anyway, plus, 7, and Frontier are all in the SDFM timeline.

I have a question about the Macross series. I've been wondering if everything after SDF:Macross is a sequel to DYRL? Like II, Plus, 7, and Frontier. Are they in the same timeline as SDF:Macross or DYRL?

There's things that make me think that everything takes place in the DYRL timeline, such as Ai Oboete Imasu ka being remembered and sung in 7 and Frontier. Also, Hikaru's Valkyrie from DYRL is on top of the school in Frontier.

Also, I'm not sure if Ai Oboete Imasu Ka was sung in SDF:Macross, but I'm sure it wasn't. :ph34r:

All Kawamori sequels are based on SDFM.

Macross II is a sequel based on DYRL.

The color scheme in DYRL is a later upgrade of the VF-1 fighter called the "block 6" upgrade which was (according to the universe) used in the making of the in universe DYRL movie. All subsequent series' tend to use the DYRL designs & color schemes partly because Kawamori prefers them over the originals from the series.

So Ai Oboete Imasu Ka was never really sung by Minmei in the universe, just some actor from the in-universe movie portraying Minmei. The song kinda has more impact if really came from Space War I.

It could've been an ACTUAL Minmay song, sung AFTER Space War 1, that was used in DYRL because it became THE Minmay song.

now I found a real kicker

Ranka's proper surname is Mei... does this mean that she's the grand daughter of the orginal Macross's beauty pagent winner??

No, Minmay is a first name. Lin is her last name.

In parts of South East Asia the familiy name comes first thus Lin Minmay.

If there is anybody biologically related to anyone on the SDF-1 Macross it would be Miranda Merin.

Presumably she is the grand daughter of Jamis Merin. Minmay's rival.

Then again I could be wrong. For all I know Aegis Focker is a clone of Roy Focker. Perhaps same thing with Macross 7 Flower Girl who could be a clone of a Minmay Flower Girl.

Miranda being a daughter of a clone of Jamis Merin.

We can never be sure but the parallels between Minmay with Ranka and Jamis with Miranda.

Only this time a Jamis won.

heyas guys i have a question for you, i own the complete robotech series box sets but what i am really after is a box set of the SDF Macross series is there a box set available or will i have to buy them individually?

if there is one available can you point me towards a site that ships to the Uk if there are no sites in the UK that sell it?

many thanks

Warhawk

(apologies if this is posted in the wrong thread)

Edited by warhawk121

So Ai Oboete Imasu Ka was never really sung by Minmei in the universe, just some actor from the in-universe movie portraying Minmei. The song kinda has more impact if really came from Space War I.

Surely you've noticed that the design aesthetic of ghe Macross sequels is a lot of mix'n'match from SDFM and DYRL.

While Zinjo's statement is Big West's hard-line stance, I don't think we're meant to think too hard about its veracity or its implications.

I asked that question myself once. Gubaba told me not to over think it, and something about Titanic and Kate Winslets breasts, and DYRL Zero G love music montage and Minmays breasts. I assume the answer is there, somewhere, but I havent figured it out yet.^_^

Question time:

I know the YF-21 could eject it's limbs if need be (From which we saw in the OVA and movie). Was this feature also implicated in the VF-22 Strumvogel, since there designs are pretty much identical? Also this is probably getting to technical/nit-picky, but are the YF-21/22's engines located in the back pack? If so, I noticed the intakes don't appear to directly lead to the engine pack (for the YF-21) since it's legs appear to be housed just behind them. So when in fighter mode and it's limbs are still intact/ejected how do the air intakes make a connection to the main engines?

post-351-1237645839_thumb.jpg

Edited by SkullLeaderVF-X

but are the YF-21/22's engines located in the back pack?

Yes that is why it can afford to lose a limb or two. Guess it is also one of the reasons why the VF-27 is considered a successor to it. The VF-27 has four engines, two at the back wings.

I asked that question myself once. Gubaba told me not to over think it, and something about Titanic and Kate Winslets breasts, and DYRL Zero G love music montage and Minmays breasts. I assume the answer is there, somewhere, but I havent figured it out yet.^_^

Question time:

I know the YF-21 could eject it's limbs if need be (From which we saw in the OVA and movie). Was this feature also implicated in the VF-22 Strumvogel, since there designs are pretty much identical? Also this is probably getting to technical/nit-picky, but are the YF-21/22's engines located in the back pack? If so, I noticed the intakes don't appear to directly lead to the engine pack (for the YF-21) since it's legs appear to be housed just behind them. So when in fighter mode and it's limbs are still intact/ejected how do the air intakes make a connection to the main engines?

The same way every VF can magically mount leg hinges right behind the intake of the engine--after entering the intake, the air actually enters a super dimension before exiting where the engine actually is, skipping the whole middle portion entirely ;)

The same way every VF can magically mount leg hinges right behind the intake of the engine--after entering the intake, the air actually enters a super dimension before exiting where the engine actually is, skipping the whole middle portion entirely ;)

I always figured it was because there where chambers,to let the air travel to them, but that doesn't really work for the YF-21/22 since the engines are in the back.

No, Minmay is a first name. Lin is her last name.

In parts of South East Asia the familiy name comes first thus Lin Minmay.

If there is anybody biologically related to anyone on the SDF-1 Macross it would be Miranda Merin.

Presumably she is the grand daughter of Jamis Merin. Minmay's rival.

Then again I could be wrong. For all I know Aegis Focker is a clone of Roy Focker. Perhaps same thing with Macross 7 Flower Girl who could be a clone of a Minmay Flower Girl.

Miranda being a daughter of a clone of Jamis Merin.

We can never be sure but the parallels between Minmay with Ranka and Jamis with Miranda.

Only this time a Jamis won.

Since Minmei is of Chinese heritage, I prefer to use a Chinese romanization of the name "Minmei Lin"... B))

Some have suggested that Minmay Lynn is her stage name, which I like to agree with...

Since Minmei is of Chinese heritage, I prefer to use a Chinese romanization of the name "Minmei Lin"... B))

Some have suggested that Minmay Lynn is her stage name, which I like to agree with...

Might as well go all the way and call her Lin Minmei, family name first, which is how the Chinese do it.

Shouldn't it then be Líng Mingměi (鈴 明美)...?

The "stage name" rationale for her door saying "Minmei" but the posters saying "Minmay" is something created by English-speaking fans. And you'll notice that the letter she has from the record company (in episode five) says "Minmay." Her door is the only place "Minmei" ever shows up...and doors are notoriously unreliable in Macross (remember the "Riber/Liver" problem...?)

The "stage name" rationale for her door saying "Minmei" but the posters saying "Minmay" is something created by English-speaking fans. And you'll notice that the letter she has from the record company (in episode five) says "Minmay." Her door is the only place "Minmei" ever shows up...and doors are notoriously unreliable in Macross (remember the "Riber/Liver" problem...?)

I would think that it would be 林明美 since 林is a more common surname. Also, given the dialects in China and the issues with transcription into english (not everybody follows the standard hanyu pingyin) both Minmei (hanyu) and Minmay (own transcription) would be possible. For example, the surname 林 in english can be transcribed as Lin, Lam, Lum etc.. due to the different pronunciations in the dialect.

I would think that it would be 林明美 since 林is a more common surname. Also, given the dialects in China and the issues with transcription into english (not everybody follows the standard hanyu pingyin) both Minmei (hanyu) and Minmay (own transcription) would be possible. For example, the surname 林 in english can be transcribed as Lin, Lam, Lum etc.. due to the different pronunciations in the dialect.

After looking it all up, apparently 鈴 is the surname given to her by the creators of the show, but when Macross was dubbed into Chinese, the Chinese company changed it to 林.

My point was that Zinjo said he was calling her "Minmei Lin" because it's more faithful to the Chinese (Chinese-ier...?), but even that's not as faithful as representation as it could be.

Really, I think it barely matters...so many of the Macross names are connected to no known language ("Shammy Milliome"...?) or ethnicity (an Italian named "Global"...?) that I was astonished to find that "Mingmei" (or "Minmei" or "Minmay") actually IS a real name.

Edited by Gubaba

Really, I think it barely matters...so many of the Macross names are connected to no known language ("Shammy Milliome"...?) or ethnicity (an Italian named "Global"...?) that I was astonished to find that "Mingmei" (or "Minmei" or "Minmay") actually IS a real name.

Which is why I like to use it, since it is an actual name... B))

Eventhough Max is described as European, I lean toward the French nationality, since Maxmillian is a common name in France, along with Mylene. Emilia could be a derivitive of Emile, but that's pure speculation. Besides, how many non-frenchmen would fall for the woman trying to kill him and then marry her weeks later? :p

[...]

Eventhough Max is described as European, I lean toward the French nationality, since Maxmillian is a common name in France, along with Mylene. [...]

Mmmh... Not really: Maximilien, in particular, is rather rare, because it is pretty "old" and therefore sounds snobbish I think; on the other hand, one of our most famous singer is called Mylene (Farmer is her last name: probably a pseudonym though...) but of course this has nothing to do with M7

Doubt it's possible to connect a nationality to any of the non-Japanse characters in Macross, unless it's established by the writers.

Take for example Claudia La Salle: It's a French name but those are found in the US, Canada or any french speaking European or African country.

Maximillian is a former aristocratic name and is found all over Europe.

btw wonder why Focker is pronounced as Foaker? in Japanese it's pronounced the same as in Dutch. The aerospace company is mispronounced as well. Still the sound is not alien to english as its the same o-sound as in clock. To close to the curse word?

Edited by Bri

The "stage name" rationale for her door saying "Minmei" but the posters saying "Minmay" is something created by English-speaking fans.

Just like the word "Kungfu" (Martial Arts), it obviously originated from the Chinese word 功夫(Pronouced as Gong Fu), but why is it spelled and read as Kungfu and not Gongfu? Simply because English speakers have accents that turned Gongfu into Kungfu when they read it.

As for Ling(铃) or Lin(林),min(Japanese got it wrong if it was intened to be the Character "明" cos 明 has a "g") , I think it's common mistakes by the Japanese, just like the words "Chanel", "Frontire", Ranka Daily/Dairy Life, "Autnomy" in Macross Frontier.

Just like the word "Kungfu" (Martial Arts), it obviously originated from the Chinese word 功夫(Pronouced as Gong Fu), but why is it spelled and read as Kungfu and not Gongfu? Simply because English speakers have accents that turned Gongfu into Kungfu when they read it.

As for Ling(铃) or Lin(林),min(Japanese got it wrong if it was intened to be the Character "明" cos 明 has a "g") , I think it's common mistakes by the Japanese, just like the words "Chanel", "Frontire", Ranka Daily/Dairy Life, "Autnomy" in Macross Frontier.

I don't get this. Zinjo said he uses "Minmei Lin" because it's more authentic. I was trying to demonstrate that it wasn't more authentic, and then a couple of people take issue with me on the topic of authenticity...

I believe you're supporting my point.

And yes, taking a word or a name from one language and changing it to fit (and then sometimes changing it BACK) often creates a host of mistakes. But I've been through that before, and don't really want to do it again.

I don't get this. Zinjo said he uses "Minmei Lin" because it's more authentic. I was trying to demonstrate that it wasn't more authentic, and then a couple of people take issue with me on the topic of authenticity...

I believe you're supporting my point.

And yes, taking a word or a name from one language and changing it to fit (and then sometimes changing it BACK) often creates a host of mistakes. But I've been through that before, and don't really want to do it again.

I would say family name "Lin/Lynn" first(since she was clearly a chinese), then whatever Minmei or Minmay would be more authentic, well as least chinese think it this way. :lol:

But in MF Ranka seems to have a Chinese name(if it wasn't then I'm wrong), however I remember she was called Ranka Lee and not Lee Ranka, same goes with Ozma Lee. [or Lee can be also a English, French or whatever language name?]

It's complicated, treat it as I never posted before here. *Hides :ph34r:

Edited by Repiv_Onex

I would say family name "Lin/Lynn" first(since she was clearly a chinese), then whatever Minmei or Minmay would be more authentic, well as least chinese think it this way. :lol:

But in MF Ranka seems to have a Chinese name(if it wasn't then I'm wrong), however I remember she was called Ranka Lee and not Lee Ranka, same goes with Ozma Lee. [or Lee can be also a English, French or whatever language name?]

It's complicated, treat it as I never posted before here. *Hides :ph34r:

I got the feeling given Ozma's character design and accessories he is of Mayan descent.

Also given that he served in Mao Nome's ship.

I suppose given Sheryl doesn't look Mayan at all, the Mayan bloodline was diluted over the years.

(...)

But in MF Ranka seems to have a Chinese name(if it wasn't then I'm wrong), (...)

If it's Asian, it's Korean.

Here's the rule of thumb for ALL Asian names: Surname first, Given name last.

Take care of your info source, as they may not be following the rule (generally social science textbooks are good for it, but pop culture tabloids are not, et naseum).