Newbie Questions on Macross

It's actually been a few years since I've seen the series (awful subtitles scare my away from my FX sets), but I think it was Valgo (if not, then it was Gabil) that killed his human host body, at which point he took folded his EVIL body in, and kicked all kinds of ass. Point being, while he did still have a tie to the EVIL body, the bulk of his "essence" was in the human host body until it died. Assumedly, he could have also resolved the situation by doing what Gepelnitch did, in joining both bodies.

Omaega kazeni narunara....

Gigile EVIL body remain in stasis due to lack of fuel aka spiritia, the reason Gigile spirit goes back to the EVIL body is because he accidentally generate his own spiritia (by singing to Sivil) and thus he was able to break his stasis and blow up with Rax. Gepernich and other EVIL series are fed by enormous amount of spiritia to allow their EVIL counterpart to awaken. Since Gepernich is hosted in a human body, it just natural that the EVIL body joined up with the host.

Gigile EVIL body remain in stasis due to lack of fuel aka spiritia, the reason Gigile spirit goes back to the EVIL body is because he accidentally generate his own spiritia (by singing to Sivil) and thus he was able to break his stasis and blow up with Rax. Gepernich and other EVIL series are fed by enormous amount of spiritia to allow their EVIL counterpart to awaken. Since Gepernich is hosted in a human body, it just natural that the EVIL body joined up with the host.

While he was generatign his own spiritia, that body was past its limit in punishment, death was the major factor there.

Hmm I'll have to find that episode and re-watch it. I don't recall any indication that he returned to his Evil series body, but it's been a while...

Hmm I'll have to find that episode and re-watch it. I don't recall any indication that he returned to his Evil series body, but it's been a while...

You don't remember it? C'mon, man! The bit where his hands crumble away as he tries to hold Sivil is one of the best moments in the show! ^_^

really?? for me the saddest moment of the show was the last 5 min of the first episode when I realized it was gonna suck big time, hehe

I remember I asked once about Gepelnitch and the protodevlin huge fleet and their fate after macross 7 and I was yelled at that it was already adressed before, to search and that gepelnitch had already fused with the shemale gunther dude and that UN Spacy most likely took over the protodevlin fleet :p

really?? for me the saddest moment of the show was the last 5 min of the first episode when I realized it was gonna suck big time, hehe

I remember I asked once about Gepelnitch and the protodevlin huge fleet and their fate after macross 7 and I was yelled at that it was already adressed before, to search and that gepelnitch had already fused with the shemale gunther dude and that UN Spacy most likely took over the protodevlin fleet :p

You know before watching M7, I didn't think I'd like it at all, and the first episode left me with some of the same impressions as you, but I watched more and I really got into it, now I can say I actually do like Macross 7. I am also a Fire Bomber fan now too.

I agree btw, Gigil's death scene was saddening, went out singing though, and My Soul for You is a good song for that.

What are the names of the three Jamming Angels in Mylene Beat.

Same as when they were in the Jammingbirds...Chitose Ripple, Marilyn Linkerbell, and Kaneko Michelle.

Chitose's the blonde (the one asked several uncomfortable questions by Dr. Chiba), and Kaneko's the one with the kinda/sorta shag cut. Marilyn has the bow in her hair.

God, I can't believe I know this. What useful bit of information from my old Dante, Chaucer, or Shakespeare classes has been shoved out of my brain to make room for the names of the Jammingbirds...? :mellow:

Same as when they were in the Jammingbirds...Chitose Ripple, Marilyn Linkerbell, and Kaneko Michelle.

Chitose's the blonde (the one asked several uncomfortable questions by Dr. Chiba), and Kaneko's the one with the kinda/sorta shag cut. Marilyn has the bow in her hair.

God, I can't believe I know this. What useful bit of information from my old Dante, Chaucer, or Shakespeare classes has been shoved out of my brain to make room for the names of the Jammingbirds...? :mellow:

Don't worry the human brain has 140 years worth of memory storage. You're safe.

BTW Thanks.

Got some quick storyline questions for the gurus out here. Hope you can shed some "enlightenment" on me. :lol:

1) The main character in the Playstation game Macross VFX-2 is named Aegis Focker. How is he related to Roy Focker? Is the story in the VFX-2 game canon and related to the macross storyline?

2) In what movie, OVA or comic does Hikaru and Misa wed and have a child? Just finished watching 2012 flashback and there was nothing in it that showed they were married or something.

3) Please rate macross 7 as a series from 1 to 10, 10 being GODLIKE and 1 as avoid like the plague.

Got some quick storyline questions for the gurus out here. Hope you can shed some "enlightenment" on me. :lol:

1) The main character in the Playstation game Macross VFX-2 is named Aegis Focker. How is he related to Roy Focker? Is the story in the VFX-2 game canon and related to the macross storyline?

2) In what movie, OVA or comic does Hikaru and Misa wed and have a child? Just finished watching 2012 flashback and there was nothing in it that showed they were married or something.

3) Please rate macross 7 as a series from 1 to 10, 10 being GODLIKE and 1 as avoid like the plague.

1. If I don't remember wrongly, Aegis Focker is supposed to be a clone of Roy Focker, but I'm not sure about this.

2. It's a information from some kind of publication, but which publication, I have no idea.

3. Depends on people you asked, it can go from 'It's SUPER AWESOME!!1!!1!!!' 10 to '@#$$%^#@#' 0. My opinion is to give it a try, and remember to take a right attitude to watch that show, namely 'it's a show about a j-pop star that just happen to ride a red VF', then you should have enjoy more the show that is Macross 7. :)

You have to give Macross 7 at least 5 to 10 episodes before beginning to judge it. Preconceptions and judging the first episode aren't enough. I didn't like the idea at first, and the first episode did not help it grow on me... but as I continued I really got into it, I've watched all of it now (even The Encore, movie, and Dynamite 7) and I think it is pretty good.

You have to give Macross 7 at least 5 to 10 episodes before beginning to judge it. Preconceptions and judging the first episode aren't enough. I didn't like the idea at first, and the first episode did not help it grow on me... but as I continued I really got into it, I've watched all of it now (even The Encore, movie, and Dynamite 7) and I think it is pretty good.

IMO, if you can survive the repetitious first 20 episodes, you'll find the meat of the story in the second season...

Macross 7 is cranked up far past 11, still my favorite series!

Really?!!! We had no idea... :p

How to rate Macross 7 is hard to say. It's not just a quality issue, it's that it's a different sort of series than the other Macross installments and the parts of it some people hate are the same that other people love. 7 isn't my favorite of the bunch, but once I muscled through and watched past the early parts I got to like it. While a lot of what makes people love or hate it is the subject of debate that goes well past what belongs in the newbie thread, I think I can say some fairly objective things that can tell the prospective viewer what to expect:

1. It's aimed at a younger sort of audience than most other Macross, so has more of a bright "Saturday morning cartoon" feel. Easily recognizable hero mechs in highly customized designs as well as flashy colors, plenty of explanation, entertainment ships shaped like giant riverboats, confrontations against giant space monsters moreso than just alien fleets, and the near surety of having a mecha combat at the end of every single episode. If you find shows like this a turnoff you might have problems with Macross 7, if you like them then go right ahead.

2. Low lethality, tying to the first. Or actually, lots of people die but it's usually offscreen and low key. Expect to see lots of VF-11 pilots safely eject only to just be brain-drained by aliens into (eventually treatable) catatonia, ships blown up but none of the SDFM signature "cut to inside the ship and the poor fools being caught in the explosion". A couple of named non-villains die over the run, but no one that has the screentime or development of a Roy or Kakizaki. Not that it's the old GI Joe cartoon, but it's the least gritty war in Macross animation so if that's something that's a plus or minus to you be aware.

3 BOMBA! This is a show about a band, and takes this far beyond SDFM or even Frontier. A band developing psychic powers focused through singing. There's more of that band singing than there is mecha fighting, in part because most mecha combats include one or more of that band out in their custom Valkyries with guitar-shaped controls, trying to reach the foe through music. On the up side, they're a good band; on the down side their playlist in the early series especially is pretty limited. Suffice to say, your enjoyment of Macross 7 is going to be strongly tied to how much you like Fire Bomber in general, and a few of their signature songs in particular.

4. Pacing. Macross 7 is long, and its plotline is a slow build rather than a frantic roller coaster. Counting the Encore episodes, it's twice as long as Frontier, and almost half again as long as SDFM. Of these, the first 15 episodes or so are very episodic with just gradual bits of character exposition and plot development: after that things get moving well enough. Some people don't mind it, and some get impatient.

I really never got the impression that Fire Bomber was developing psychic powers, or any powers for that matter. I chalk the brightly coloured light show aspect of the music in with the "Saturday morning" direction of the series. Basara is just a regular guy who happens to be particularly driven and determined. Actually, I think that was one of the major points of the show.

Otherwise I pretty much agree with the previous replies.

I like the show a lot, honestly, but can see why many would recommend avoiding it like the plague. I would give it a solid 7 out of 10. I love the characters and themes, but really dislike the pacing and direction of the show. Mostly the direction. I don't need magical beams of light to get that someone is putting emotion into their music. And ja, I love Fire Bomber's music, but you will hear one or two of those songs repeated every episode for maybe 10-20 episodes until your ears bleed.

Personally, I think Macross 7 would benefit from a DYRL style makeover more than any other part of Macross.

There was no magic or psychic powers, the 'light shows' as they were called was just the song energy form Dr. Chiba's Song Energy Converter technology and the sound boosters which amplified sound energy. I think there is some merit to the though that the power of song can be really powerful, but they may overstate it a bit in the show. However I might be biased since I ended up really liking Fire Bomber music and I wasn't bothered by hearing some of those songs repeated a lot.

I'll qualify I was using "psychic powers" as shorthand for "spiritual energy with literally mind/soul/extradimensional entity affecting powers focused by specially trained and talented people and amplified by technological means", as a middle ground between incorrectly implying that it's a "power of culture" thing like in SDFM, and the long explanation of spiritia, Protodeviln and Sound Boosters. Yeah, I'll give the disclaimer that it's not a mind-reading, spoon-bending flavor of same, if anyone is confused.

Actually, the in-universe explanation is more of a chi flavor, but talk of that in anime and people expect fireballs to be thrown, so that's misleading too. :)

How'd the newbie question thread get hijacked by a discussion on Macross 7 and spiritia? Those belong in one of the oodles of other threads there are specifically devoted for those discussions!

How'd the newbie question thread get hijacked by a discussion on Macross 7 and spiritia? Those belong in one of the oodles of other threads there are specifically devoted for those discussions!

On the contrary, I don't believe anyone was really talking about spiritia... just got mentioned once. ;):p

On the contrary, I don't believe anyone was really talking about spiritia... just got mentioned once. ;):p

If you are referring to this thread, that may well be, since in all cases the inquiry is redirected to the myriad of Mac 7 threads on these boards that go into minute details and debates over said details of the show.

The first few posts are nearly always a summary similar to what's been posted here. B))

If you are referring to this thread, that may well be, since in all cases the inquiry is redirected to the myriad of Mac 7 threads on these boards that go into minute details and debates over said details of the show.

The first few posts are nearly always a summary similar to what's been posted here. B))

I was being a bit coy, but I did mean in this thread, yes.

I was being a bit coy, but I did mean in this thread, yes.

Thanks for the Mac7 info guys. I just finished downloading the 49 episodes via torrent. But it seems these questions were not adequately answered:

^_^

Thanks for the Mac7 info guys. I just finished downloading the 49 episodes via torrent. But it seems these questions were not adequately answered:

1) We don't know. It has never been addressed.

2) It is mentioned in 3 publications: Macross Guidebook, Macross Graffiti, Macross Times. We have never seen it animated or otherwise.

Personally, I think Macross 7 would benefit from a DYRL style makeover more than any other part of Macross.

100% agreed. What they did well on M7, they did absolutely fantastic. What they did badly, they messed up horribly.

I love the show personally, but it could have been much, much better.

With Macross having been part of the Super Dimension trilogy, have there been any shout outs to Orguss and Southern Cross in in the franchise besides the original series?

Well...there was the dinosaur thingy on Planet Lux in Macross 7 that looked a lot like Jabby from Orguss...other than that, I certainly haven't noticed any.

I kind of doubt there would be any Southern Cross references, since A) it wasn't very popular, and B) none of the Macross staff worked on it (that I know of, that is).

The Orguss had a cameo in SDF:M.

EDIT: opps, appears that that was already mentioned.

Anyhow, as SDC:SC was made after both SDF:M & SDC:O, it's more likely that SDC:SC would have the references, not the other way around.

Edited by sketchley

Heres a noob with alot of questions.

Is there a timeline somewhere, i have'nt been able to find any on the net.

How long do the Zentradi live for?

Are some of the Zentradi still cloned?

What about all the other Zentran fleets out in the galaxy?

1. Try macross.anime.net, which is as official as can be.

2. We've never seen one die of old age, so AFAIK, that's still an unknown.

3. Of course! Uncultured Zentradi are still out and about, here and there.

4. What about them?