Newbie Questions on Macross

Actually, the "the truth is inbetween" excuse came before the "movie within a movie" excuse, so I'm not sure your idea really works.

Personally, I think it's not worth worrying about...it's all fiction, so does it really matter which one is more "valid"? I mean, if you've seen both SDFM and DYRL, you know everything that allows you to enjoy the sequels. I don't really think its an issue worth worrying about.

That said, Macross Chronicle DEFINITELY falls of the side of SDFM "happening" and DYRL "just" being a movie. So if you really need an answer, there it is. It's unsatisfactory, and raises a lot of unanswered questions, but that's what the magazine says. And the magazine is official and canonical. B))

could have just been a way of identifying side characters and extras as being zendtradi, remember in macross unless the character is disfigured you really couldn't tell if micronized. in M7 they look a little odd to begin with(grayish skin and what not) so it really helps. but for a well known character like miria she looks totally normal though being a micronized full zentradi, probably because she was an "established character"

could have just been a way of identifying side characters and extras as being zendtradi, remember in macross unless the character is disfigured you really couldn't tell if micronized. in M7 they look a little odd to begin with(grayish skin and what not) so it really helps. but for a well known character like miria she looks totally normal though being a micronized full zentradi, probably because she was an "established character"

I'm not following... :unsure:

I was checking out the news thread and the animation correction for the Blu-ray disc

I got a question, when airing the show, I was under the impression that poorly animated sequences was due to budget issues (blowing it all on a previews CG packed episode) and having to sort to a lesser animation studio in Korea

sorry if this is a dumb question to few but if someone could explain me this, why animate so poorly broadcast episodes an then reanimate them? isn't this using extra budget, why not take a bit more time to release the episodes with proper animation and fixed mistakes?

I don't get it if it can be done right...why not do it the first time?

Thanks Gubaba, I am glad I didn't read the magazine then, and as you rightly said, I've seen both the TV and movie Macross, plus the (hiding under a chair) ..."rawbowtek"....so even the "in between" excuse came before the "it's a movie for them" one, I just don't think of it, but it actually may be confusing for non-hardcore fans. Exedore is quite extreme, between the SFD and M7 he looks completely different, if it wans't the same voice, it'd be hard to take him as the same old Exedore.

I just rewatched Macross F from head to toe in a fast go over the free days, and honestly, those who were complaining about animation quality and inconsistency have a point. Originally, when I was anticipating each episode and watched them eager for the next one, I didn't really care, but now that I've seen it one episode after the other....wow....Reasons for that? I guess they had time pressure on them among other issues that I now cannot figure out.

I was checking out the news thread and the animation correction for the Blu-ray disc

I got a question, when airing the show, I was under the impression that poorly animated sequences was due to budget issues (blowing it all on a previews CG packed episode) and having to sort to a lesser animation studio in Korea

sorry if this is a dumb question to few but if someone could explain me this, why animate so poorly broadcast episodes an then reanimate them? isn't this using extra budget, why not take a bit more time to release the episodes with proper animation and fixed mistakes?

Season sched. They do have deadlines.

Alloting the budget for SFX in cool episodes like 7 and 25.

They outsouce to cut the slack.

Also depends on how diligent the animation director for the episode is.

Season sched. They do have deadlines.

Alloting the budget for SFX in cool episodes like 7 and 25.

They outsouce to cut the slack.

Also depends on how diligent the animation director for the episode is.

Also, they might have more money now thanks to sponsors and merchandising.

I just finished M7, and I'm just getting into Encore Ep 1...

Seen D7 already but may rewatch them, and The Galaxy is Calling Me... I can't seem to find P L U S anywhere but I saw the "Spiritia Dreaming" bit on YouTube... Anywhere else I can find P L U S and does P L U S really add that much to the M7 experience?

Oh, and could I get a "BOMBA!!"?

-RF-26

Seen D7 already but may rewatch them, and The Galaxy is Calling Me... I can't seem to find P L U S anywhere but I saw the "Spiritia Dreaming" bit on YouTube... Anywhere else I can find P L U S and does P L U S really add that much to the M7 experience?

-RF-26

BOMBAA!!

If you watched the Central Anime versions, the Plus episodes are at the end of every fourth episode...they also translated some of the ads, too.

Some of them are good, some of them are meh. "Spirita Dreaming" is probably the best, as it gives information that, while not crucial, is nice to know. I also (of course) like "Gubaba's Planet." "Top Gamlin" and "Millia the President" are also quite nice. Most of the others are take-it-or-leave-it, IMHO.

P L U S was aired at the end of some of the episodes, check your copies of 7 again, you just might have missed them.

-RF-26

BOMBAA!!

Edited by d3v

P L U S was aired at the end of some of the episodes, check your copies of 7 again, you just might have missed them.

BOMBAA!!

YESSS!

Anyways, um, I'll try checking after the end credits of every 4th one again cos I think I have the central anime version.

Yeah, definitely central anime, I'll check it out...

This is probably answered before, but what is the 007 on Alto's VF-25 mean? He's skull 04 after all so i don't get where 007 comes from.

He's a Saotome, Alto Saotome ^_^

Maybe its Gilliam number, he could be Skull-07 and the ground crew are too lazy to paint a new number on Gilliam old valk.

He's a Saotome, Alto Saotome ^_^

Maybe its Gilliam number, he could be Skull-07 and the ground crew are too lazy to paint a new number on Gilliam old valk.

Skull-04 was his callsign/radio designation. The 007 is probably his plane number.

Skull-04 was his callsign/radio designation. The 007 is probably his plane number.

IRL do the radio guys refer to you from your callsign or your plane number?

IRL do the radio guys refer to you from your callsign or your plane number?

It can go both ways. In a flight, say between the lead and the number two, the second guy would respond with 'two' for just about everything. If someone wanted to really make sure that they got through to Alto they would say 'Skull Zero Zero Seven.' because no matter what his flight position was he would always be 007.

Here's something I'm not sure if anyone has said before but if you list the different Macross series you get that Frontier is the seventh so maybe that's way he's 007

1-Macross SDFM/DYRL

2-Macross 2012

3-Macross 2

4-Macross Plus OVA/Movie

5-Macross 7 and everything that goes with it

6-Macross Zero

7-Macross Frontier

Kawamori doesn't acknowledge the existence of Macross II as being canon, so you should replace it with DYRL to get your count right... Edited by Gui

The Macross Chronicle binder categorizes the Macross franchise in seven parts, with Flashback 2012 excluded and Macross II as number three. The first issue of the Macross Chronicle includes them all.

1) The Super Dimension Fortress Macross

2) The Super Dimension Fortress Macross The Movie: Do You Remember Love?

3) The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Macross II: Lovers Again

4) Macross Plus

5) Macross 7

6) Macross Zero

7) Macross Frontier

The Macross Chronicle binder categorizes the Macross franchise in seven parts, with Flashback 2012 excluded and Macross II as number three. The first issue of the Macross Chronicle includes them all.

1) The Super Dimension Fortress Macross

2) The Super Dimension Fortress Macross The Movie: Do You Remember Love?

3) The Super Dimension Fortress Macross Macross II: Lovers Again

4) Macross Plus

5) Macross 7

6) Macross Zero

7) Macross Frontier

Chronologically by production, the Chronicle has it right. FB2012 was essentially a music video compilation, not an actual production unto itself. IIRC, most if not all of the Megaroad sequence was already storyboarded for DYRL, but never animated in time for its theatrical release.

Whether SK recognizes M2 or not is not relevant to the franchise as a whole. Only to the Nue continuity.

Edited by Zinjo

There doesn't appear to be much of a rhyme or reason to the way they are categorizing the shows. Macross Plus is even placed slightly out of order and the Macross 7 Encore seems to have been absorbed into the Macross 7 series. While the back of the Macross Chronicle binder lists the Macross shows in seven categories as I've listed above, page one of the Macross Chronicle lists the the Macross productions in eleven categories as follows:

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross (36 episode television series, 1982)

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Do You Remember Love? (film, 1984)

The Super Dimension Fortress Macross: Flashback 2012 (music video, 1987)

Macross II: Lovers Again (6 episode OVA, 1992)

Macross 7 (49 episode television series, 1994)

Macross Plus (4 episode OVA, 1994)

Macross 7: The Galaxy's Calling Me! (short film, 1995)

Macross Plus Movie Edition (film, 1995)

Macross Dynamite 7 (4 episode OVA, 1997)

Macross Zero (5 episode OVA, 2002-2004)

Macross Frontier (television series, 2008)

Kawamori doesn't acknowledge the existence of Macross II as being canon, so you should replace it with DYRL to get your count right...

I never said anything about canon I just meant to list the different series that had their own time frame and that comes out at seven. And it was just a idea.

odd that 2012 gets kicked, but still at seven, thanks Mr March.

Edited by hobbes221

Ok, I got confused here:

In the recent Macross Frontier anime series a movie was filmed based on the auto-biography of Shin Kudo, suggesting that he eventually returned to Earth.[1]

[edit] References

1. ^ Macross Frontier episode 10

Did he really return back to Earth or someone is making a mistake on that entry? :huh:

odd that 2012 gets kicked, but still at seven, thanks Mr March.

As Zinjo said, FB2012 is essentially the cutting-room-floor-edits for DYRL?. There wasn't anything really new in it. If anything, it's a sub-section of DYRL on the production side.

Mistake. To tell the truth the Macross Frontier wiki needs an overhaul.

Particularly on Macross Galaxy. The attack was obviously a fake one.

Obvious? Why so? That ship did get destroyed by a Vajra gunship (the one with Dulfim...what its name). The way i see it Galaxy did get attacked...probably provoked too. Battle Galaxy surviving the attack doesn't mean the attack was fake.

Obvious? Why so? That ship did get destroyed by a Vajra gunship (the one with Dulfim...what its name). The way i see it Galaxy did get attacked...probably provoked too. Battle Galaxy surviving the attack doesn't mean the attack was fake.

Grace's recap episode showed Galaxy fine and dandy at an asteroid field.

No batte damage whatsover. Also from what we learned about Operation Carnival, Galaxy deliberately lead the Vajra to Frontier.

Grace's recap episode showed Galaxy fine and dandy at an asteroid field.

No batte damage whatsover. Also from what we learned about Operation Carnival, Galaxy deliberately lead the Vajra to Frontier.

Couple of reasons:

1.) The shot was zoomed out, you can't see the little laser fire on the hull

2.) Animation error/inconsistency, Macross Frontier had tonnes of this.

3.) They had time to repair

4.) or simply their ship did not sustain any damage and escaped unscathed.

In any case i'm sure the battle took place. If they wanna fake their intentions, they would've have to trick everyone on board the Galaxy as well since its hard to believe everyone on Galaxy agrees to the plan. Remember there was also the video of the Galaxy's admiral or someone sending out distress communications and he mentioned that the "mainland" was breached.

Couple of reasons:

1.) The shot was zoomed out, you can't see the little laser fire on the hull

2.) Animation error/inconsistency, Macross Frontier had tonnes of this.

3.) They had time to repair

4.) or simply their ship did not sustain any damage and escaped unscathed.

In any case i'm sure the battle took place. If they wanna fake their intentions, they would've have to trick everyone on board the Galaxy as well since its hard to believe everyone on Galaxy agrees to the plan. Remember there was also the video of the Galaxy's admiral or someone sending out distress communications and he mentioned that the "mainland" was breached.

Uhh Hello Galaxy Anonymous seek to control humanity via implants which most inhabitants of Galay has.

The Slave Mode so to speak.

Also we have one sneaky guy commit a coup in Frontier it is likely Galaxy's leaders did the same.

These are people where democracy and freedom don't mean much.

Uhh Hello Galaxy Anonymous seek to control humanity via implants which most inhabitants of Galay has.

The Slave Mode so to speak.

Also we have one sneaky guy commit a coup in Frontier it is likely Galaxy's leaders did the same.

These are people where democracy and freedom don't mean much.

Only if they have the thingymajig hairpin that Brera has on his head , which broke during the battle releasing him from her control. Its not just any implant but a specific neural interface. Brera doesn't seem to have the implant otherwise Grace would just regain control of him with or without the hairpin thing.

And even if your assumption that the whole Galaxy has been subdued by Grace, my point still stands. Its more probable that the battle took place rather than didn't.