Macross Frontier Girls Part 2

Vinnie

This is a poll up to episode 10, will post again in another 5 episodes.  

276 members have voted

1. 1. This Frontier Girl is my favorite so far....

• Sheryl Nome
    • Klan Klan
    • Ranka Lee
    • Nanase Matsuura
    • Cathy Glass
    • Nene Rora
    • Raramia Rerenia
    • Monica Lange
    • Mina Roshan
    • Grace O'Connor
    • Kanaria Berstein
    • Ram Hoa
    • All of the above one at a time again, just to be sure.
    • All the Zentraedi Babes (Pixie Sq) at once!
    • None of the above.
    • Dude these are cartoon characters. You guys are sick!
    • Still not sure.

Just wondering, the co-pilot seat Sheryl sat on Michel's VF-25, what is its real purpose? Seems to have identical controls as the main pilot's.

I always thought the second seat is often meant for navigators or a partner to transmit combat data on the go during intensive dogfights.

Well, if you have a co-pilot, might as well make him/her able to take over flying the plane if the need arises.

Edited by d3v

I guess I haven't said my dream scenario in MW. Mikhail KIA, Sheryl gets a blue VF and Klan Klan and a slave who serve them.

@ Westlo

People can vote a character for all reasons. But for Sheryl, I really beg for no sympathy vote.

Well, if you ahve a cop-pilot, might as well make him/her able to take over flying the plane if the need arises.

We all know Luca needs a co-pilot more than anyone else.

Edited by herbert

We all know Luca needs a co-pilot more than anyone else.

As much as he may need one, it seems that the 25 wasn't really designed to be operated by 2 people on a regular basis. Controls and monitor notwithstanding, that rear seat looks mighty cramped, plus, if both pilots eject in enemy territory, the guy in the back is screwed as he/she has no Ex-gear.

As much as he may need one, it seems that the 25 wasn't really designed to be operated by 2 people on a regular basis. Controls and monitor notwithstanding, that rear seat looks mighty cramped, plus, if both pilots eject in enemy territory, the guy in the back is screwed as he/she has no Ex-gear.

I never thought of that. Since many modern multi role fighters have a 2 man crew, why not make a dedicated twin seat 25 for the electronic warfare role. Chuck Luca in the back to play with his toys and put a decent pilot up front. If Sheryl is piloting 25s now, you could train up Nanase as Luca´s pilot. Nana in a flight suit sitting in front of him, Luca would think hes died and gone to heaven ^_^ .

haha. good point. sigh, of ALL the times to have his visor down, it just had to be this scene in faded black and white. :)

oh well, when in doubt... just shrug and say "it doesn't matter" (and then lay awake at night thinking about it until dawn. :p )

Yes, but Hikaru had just turned around to look back toward Kakizaki's Valkyrie, so he wasn't sitting as composed as Max in his cockpit (well, as composed as anyone can be when running from a pinpoint barrier explosion). To me, it makes more sense that the audience gets a quick sequence of cuts showing the reactions of the surviving Skull Squadron members. Hikaru is shown first and then Max is shown second. We also know that Max is European, so having him make the gesture makes more sense.

Here's Hikaru

post-5492-1215364869_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the image shows that Hikaru's visor is plainly visible, even given the scene's unique shading.

Back on topic, I'm having a hard time putting a vote in for just one of the Frontier girls, but the setup planetside with Ranka in episode 12 was superb. It only took twelve episodes for her to really pique Alto's interest and then, in episode 13, she gets whisked away.

Yes, but Hikaru had just turned around to look back toward Kakizaki's Valkyrie, so he wasn't sitting as composed as Max in his cockpit (well, as composed as anyone can be when running from a pinpoint barrier explosion). To me, it makes more sense that the audience gets a quick sequence of cuts showing the reactions of the surviving Skull Squadron members. Hikaru is shown first and then Max is shown second. We also know that Max is European, so having him make the gesture makes more sense.

Here's Hikaru

post-5492-1215364869_thumb.jpg

As you can see, the image shows that Hikaru's visor is plainly visible, even given the scene's unique shading.

Back on topic, I'm having a hard time putting a vote in for just one of the Frontier girls, but the setup planetside with Ranka in episode 12 was superb. It only took twelve episodes for her to really pique Alto's interest and then, in episode 13, she gets whisked away.

I don't think you can POSITIVELY say it's Max, though...It could be. It also might be Hikaru. There's enough of a time lag between Hikaru shouting "Kakizaki!" and the crossing scene that it could be either of them. In the abscence of any other references, as dreamweaver13 said, I think we're going to just have to shrug and stay puzzled.

Anyway, with the girls, I always thought that Ranka was WAY more interested in Alto than he was in her...but that definitely changed after the latest episode...

@ Westlo

People can vote a character for all reasons. But for Sheryl, I really beg for no sympathy vote.

sheryl's popularity is increasing (as if it needs more??) with the last few episodes, but i'd like to think it's not so much as a sympathy vote, but more of a fan reaction to how classy sheryl takes the events against her. specially that moment when alto begs her to save ranka. very classy response from a mighty fine woman. :)

Anyway, with the girls, I always thought that Ranka was WAY more interested in Alto than he was in her...but that definitely changed after the latest episode...

Agree, Ranka obviously has a crush on Alto, but Alto seems to only CARE for her as a little sister/close friend, not really as a romantic interest, even less as a couple, from what I see. I presume Ranka hasn't realized this small detail, so she keeps thinking she's got a chance. Well.... YOU DON'T GIRL! :lol:

I guess I haven't said my dream scenario in MW. Mikhail KIA, Sheryl gets a blue VF and Klan Klan and a slave who serve them.

Mikhail KIA? :angry: Dont make me smack you back to Bomba. :p Anyways no way Sheryl will hook up with Mikhail. KK will make sure of that. Besides, remember Mikhail made a comment about Alto's women? He said they were stubborn but he thought of Klan Klan. He stopped himself and said he didnt have room to talk as well.

Agree, Ranka obviously has a crush on Alto, but Alto seems to only CARE for her as a little sister/close friend, not really as a romantic interest, even less as a couple, from what I see. I presume Ranka hasn't realized this small detail, so she keeps thinking she's got a chance. Well.... YOU DON'T GIRL! :lol:

You might end up being surprised...I think the latest couple of episodes has made Alto "notice" her in a pretty big way...

Klan Klan and Mikhail will end up together somehow, I just have this FEELING. :D

And I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm really beginning to wonder...maybe Luca likes Nanase...?

You might end up being surprised...I think the latest couple of episodes has made Alto "notice" her in a pretty big way...

I feel the same way too. If Sheryl loses Alto and her popularity at this point in the story, it will create a lot of drama. I wouldn't be surprised if Ranka and Alto hook up together now.

And I may be going out on a limb here, but I'm really beginning to wonder...maybe Luca likes Nanase...?

Have you read the next episode synopsis in Macrossf.com? :lol:

Edited by mike_s_6

At this point in time, my feelings on the subject of the girls are in limbo.

I've gone completely Hikaru - I can't make up my mind - so one of them is going to have to do something desperate, like tell me they love me and they're going away on a space ship bond for the center of the galaxy and then run off into a blaze of missiles or something...

In other words - as the series progresses, I'm slowly going back to just loving Misa :)

Although I must admit that (other than Sara), no other Macross girls have made such an impression on me as Ranka did in Frontier. Sheryl I guess I got briefly excited about....

But seriously - I'm at a loss. Both of the girls are great.

VFTF1

At this point in time, my feelings on the subject of the girls are in limbo.

I've gone completely Hikaru - I can't make up my mind - so one of them is going to have to do something desperate, like tell me they love me and they're going away on a space ship bond for the center of the galaxy and then run off into a blaze of missiles or something...

In other words - as the series progresses, I'm slowly going back to just loving Misa :)

Although I must admit that (other than Sara), no other Macross girls have made such an impression on me as Ranka did in Frontier. Sheryl I guess I got briefly excited about....

But seriously - I'm at a loss. Both of the girls are great.

VFTF1

poor misa. always the rebound girl. :p

As the show goes on I'm starting to like Ranka more and more and Sheryl less and less; why don't they make Sheryl DO something again? I lost my Sheryl vibe after around episode 9 or 10. Granted a lot of focus has been given to Ranka lately (which I <3) but I dunno what will happen to Sheryl now...hmm :T

As the show goes on I'm starting to like Ranka more and more and Sheryl less and less; why don't they make Sheryl DO something again? I lost my Sheryl vibe after around episode 9 or 10. Granted a lot of focus has been given to Ranka lately (which I <3) but I dunno what will happen to Sheryl now...hmm :T

Hello? Sheryl is sick. :blink: And she still left bed to save Alto and Ranka. That's different from sitting around and letting love competition beat her down, like what Ranka did. :blink:

I'm talking about before she was sick. Just seems to be that the Sheryl roller coaster of awesome is in a bit of a slump for me when it comes to being interested in what happens to her. The series is taking a definite shift towards Ranka so I'm wondering how Sheryl will play into it, hence my 'hmm' comment.

Well if piloting doesn't qualify as awesome, there's really not much else we can say at this point.

I for one think the last few episodes have solidified my impression of her as "determined" and not willing to just sit there and cry.

Well if piloting doesn't qualify as awesome, there's really not much else we can say at this point.

Until we see her in action I'm holding my breath ;) She could be quite a dunce in the cockpit, to be honest, but hopefully I'll be proved wrong!

Edited by Mandy

Actually it's pretty even in Japan for both girls. I've seen a few online polls and they won one each, for magazine pols Sheryl has been in the lead both Newtype polls that the Macross characters have been in, Sheryl made the first Animage poll that Macross F featured in, Ranka pulled ahead of her there in the second. The Sheryl single is going to outsell the Ranka single by a pretty big margin but that's probably got more to do with the quality of songs, Official Macross BBS was pretty much pro Sheryl after her "decline" in episode 12.

It's probably how they want them to be.. not like western and Chinese forums were they are overwhelming in favor of Sheryl.

since we're only halfway into the series, the more i see her getting the short end of the stick, the more i'm convinced that she'll be winning by the end. :)

Pretty much, even thought at face value things look bad for Sheryl if you look at the structure to similar love triangles it's obvious where there are going, in addition to the structure it's also the actual way Sheryl lost her advantage (Hi Grace!) that convinces me even more. If the writers had continued on from the path of 5-11 this would've been a crap and boring love triangle. They aren't doing there job if the don't fool people, I see Sheryl fans around the net dismayed at recent events... but she seems to be on the same path as the eventually winners of True Tears, ef a tale of memories, Kimikiss and KGNE to name some recent triangles.

Edited by Westlo

Although we are not yet at a point we can look at a new episode, seeing the new blog entries helps reinforce what I like about Sheryl. I do like Ranka, but I still feel something of a "irrepressible" nature about her, in spite of how messed up her life was.

I do understand (finally) the comparison to Kamina above. I'm not quite sure yet she has that much impact (but then again I just watched all of 1-8 of GL in the last two days) but she's a strong character, one that really tends to overwhelm Alto.

I still keep getting the impression that Alto can't handle her yet though. But it's more of his issue rather than hers. A topic for another thread, though....