Macross Frontier Girls Part 2

Vinnie

This is a poll up to episode 10, will post again in another 5 episodes.  

276 members have voted

1. 1. This Frontier Girl is my favorite so far....

• Sheryl Nome
    • Klan Klan
    • Ranka Lee
    • Nanase Matsuura
    • Cathy Glass
    • Nene Rora
    • Raramia Rerenia
    • Monica Lange
    • Mina Roshan
    • Grace O'Connor
    • Kanaria Berstein
    • Ram Hoa
    • All of the above one at a time again, just to be sure.
    • All the Zentraedi Babes (Pixie Sq) at once!
    • None of the above.
    • Dude these are cartoon characters. You guys are sick!
    • Still not sure.

I also came from the AnimeSuki forums, but don't have an account. They do talk about the relationship a lot! I suppose any kind of popularity comes with haters. I mean, the other big-busted girls have their share of haters too and they're not doing anything wrong (yet?). :lol:

Another real-world explanation for the triangle never getting resolved (be warned - sociology ahead):

I think Alto's going to be the "everyman" in the series. The "Sam Witwicky," if you will - intentionally vague with some minimal character development. Generic teenaged male who generally does the right thing, is faced with confusing choices in life and doesn't want to be held down by his domineering parents who want him to carry on their dreams instead of his own.

In the broader spectrum, Alto-hime is a symbolic emasculation and restriction of the average teenaged anime-watching male (hereafter referred to as ATAWM). It's the polar opposite destiny of what ATAWM would like to do with his life: do you want to be a heroic robot-jet pilot with girls from both ends of the spectrum fighting over you, or be your angry dad's little princess?

If Alto were to get too defined, he would cease to be the vessel by which the ATAWM can place himself in the show. Shin in Zero was the same way - a generic ATAWM fantasy who really doesn't do anything other than realize fighting is bad (and saves the world in the process).

Michel is already locked in with Klan-Klan, and their relationship was pretty much explained in Friendly Fire. He's a defined character that not everyone can relate to. Luca's the same way - his personality, and his romantic interest, are both pretty clearly defined in short order. The results of the poll reflect this - Klan-Klan has her following, as does Nanase, but those followings probably either share a general similarity to Michel and Luka, or are just more superficial in nature. I don't expect their ratings to shoot much higher in subsequent polls because they're not really "on the market" - they've already got an appropriate pairing established, unlike Ranka and Sheryl.

Off topic, but I think the poll is proving the series is doing exactly what it's supposed to do as entertainment. The narrative is good enough to get us interested in the characters, and the way the show chooses to grow the characters is being reflected in the numbers.

In short: Damn, I love this show. It does what it has to, and does it well.

People are a bit worked up at Animesuki over the whole "who will end up with whom" issue, right now. Much character bashing has ensued, especially towards Sheryl, given that her actions can seem so ambiguous at times. It's unfortunate that you happened to walk into some of the backlash. :p

Actually, the first I saw of it was here, followed by some hilarious bickering at /m/. I only went back to ASuki after Herbert mentioned it. Though I've seen far more Ranka bashing than Sheryl bashing. Plenty more Sheryl Gloating as well. Like this matters somehow that the chara you like is more popular. Seems I'm always preferring the reviled ones anyway. To be honest, fan bickering like this is more likely to kill my interest in the character than she herself. Who wants to be a Sheryl fan if they're percieved as Ranka bashers and vice versa.

I've discussed the character inconsistancy issue before, so perhaps I can try and talk this one out with you as well. Unless there's a better thread for this elsewhere, of course.

Ah, so I'm not the only one that felt that there's some inconsistency with her. Good to know. As for thread wise, I know not of it.

This one was a bit tricky for me as well. The feeling on my part was more of an "age"-related issue: before the date episode, Sheryl mostly acts like she's a late twentysomething woman. Afterwards, she swings between 'a kid in a toy store' to 'thoughtful and slightly troubled teen' and occasionally back to 'mature and driven' again.

This really only started to make sense only after episode six (in perhaps one of her least reactionary moments), where she explains that she was grew up without a family. She's had to mature quite rapidly in order to cope with the pressures of being a child star. The sights that Alto shows Sheryl are rather mundane, when you look at it (This is an observation tower... and this is a shopping mall...) but Sheryl is in awe of everything she sees. Alto is not just acting as a tour guide of Frontier; he's also acting as a guide to Sheryl's missing childhood. Seeing as she's held it all in for the past seventeen years, it's only natural that this 'release' takes place quite dramatically.

Oh I get all that. That's easy. It's just that my memory, and the existence of two versions plus a five month gap between two episodes sort of fuxed with her character. As Far as I remember, she's all business save for the tiny bit before she arrives at Frontier. Even sort of badmouthing Alto for his naivety when she ditches the concert. Jump to the next episode, and she just seems totally different. All playful, but still sort of full of herself. (thinking about it, maybe its not so inconsistent after all). It's like the writers thought her too gruff so they quickly reworked her into the eccentric, playful thing she is now. Maybe my memory is just too bad, but the switch seems a bit unnatural. Especially after cutting the seemingly innocuous "Strawberry Pie' mumbling.

I suppose the little we know of her past does cover for the early attitude, but it still seems a tad shaky. Which is why I may rewatch the first few episodes.

Sheryl still takes her work seriously. Whether it be in jotting down a sudden inspiration, trying to set up a photoshoot, or even giving out career advice, Sheryl quickly switches back on to the job that she's spent most of her life in training for, pleasantries be damned. Even the things that she finds fun and enjoyable eventually find themselves integrated back into her work: her date becomes inspiration for a song, and her newfound love of flying becomes part of an advertising campaign to save Galaxy. She is a workaholic, and it is one of her greatest weaknesses.

Well yeah, that goes without saying. Like I said, my issue is not with her almost dual personality. I've accepted it, and it's why i sort of like her. My issue was that it sort of came out of left field. I sort of blame the whole Deculture edition decision. It just seems obvious that they reworked her a bit going into episode 2 (which I don't really remember at the moment).

So you're saying she basically is Ginny... ^_^ Well, a much younger, hot version that sings instead of sews.

What I think people find so appealing about her character is how these different elements come together. On one hand, she has a playfulness and childlike sense of mischief that make her endearing, while her singleminded drive, confidence, and her ability to think on her feet make her a character who wins respect. Where a classical tsundere uses strength as a mask for weakness, Sheryl is simply nothing more than a character with an unusual set of strengths and weaknesses. This distinction often makes her act in ways that are more unpredictable than many seemingly similar characters that we may be familiar with.

Actually a classical tsundere starts out cold and then warms up. You're describing a modern tsudere. Though lets not start that debate. especially since she's only tsundere-ish, not tsundere (Alto inspired no change in her, he just lets her be). Nice character study, though I feel you're giving her way more credit than is due. She's nothing special. It's really too early in the series to start praising any of the characters as such. Sheryl is simply a hard working girl with a sad past that's found an opportunity to relax a bit and enjoy things not available to her back home with the rare guy that doesn't worship the ground she walks on. That's hardly original. She's quirky, but not what I'd call endearing and while I like her confidence, she's too brash and tactless to be winning of great respect. About the only thing unique is the fact that she's helping Ranka, as usually they make characters like her the bitter, seasoned pro out to crush dreams. Though i wouldn't be surprised to see that change soon. She's just a bit spoiled and tactless as she probably gets her way all the time. Hence why she likes Alto. Because she's no queen to him. Thinks on her feet? Surely you jest. Isn't this the girl that madly chased after a pair of underwear in a unlocked flightsuit and nearly died (or at least get badly injured) because of it had it not been for Alto? :lol: She's reactionary and compulsive 9 out of 10 times. How that makes her a quick thinking, I don't know.

I'm sure I just won some enemies. ^_^

Look, I like Sheryl, really I do. Heck, going with my usual taste in anime girls, Sheryl's a bit more my type, especially when she's not being so forceful. If episode one hadn't poured her bad side on, and then left us for five months with it's sour taste, with a WTF episode two/three chaser, I'd probably be all, "Rankas cute, and a good character, but, damn, Sheryls damn near a Goddess (well maybe not that far)." Especially after episode six and the whole Diamond Crevasse bit (and the meltrand panty thing ).That's a Sheryl I could get behind.

Though Ranka is lacking the aspects that usually drive me away from characters like her, so no love lost there either. She's got the most room for improvement, and has been more consistent from the get go.

I just hardly think Sheryl's the wonderful character she's being painted as. She's not an awful one too, but she nothing special. To be fair, neither is Ranka. Both have only the tiniest of depth, and much, like say, Ayanami Rei, are inferred onto them by fans reading deeper into them and putting two and two together. Any character can be get when you tart to psychoanalyze them. ^_^ It's still too soon in the series. Heck, we still know next to nothing about the Vajra. The plot has barely moved outside the triangle. So slathering either character with claims of perfection, great appeal, or even being better than the other is a tad premature.

You put it best with, "Sheryl is simply nothing more than a character with an unusual set of strengths and weaknesses." Though I disagree that they're "unusual" and they make her anything but unpredictable. She's okay right now. Maybe a bit undeserving of the landslide following she's got, but there's potential. Just as I side with the theory that Ranka will blossom soon.

The initial phase was a bit quick, but then again, both the relationships are. Ranka meets Alto twice before she starts texting him as if the two have been girlfriends for ages, and Sheryl starts going out of her way to tease Alto from the moment that they step out of the shelter in episode three. What unbridled animal magnetism! :lol:

Alto does give a fair bit of himself away during episode three, though. He shows himself to be quite driven, which Sheryl can relate to, he doesn't give her special treatment, and he doesn't take advantage of her embarrassing mishap in any way. By time the date starts, Sheryl feels quite comfortable with him, given how straightlaced he is (she's confident that he won't do anything inappropriate when she steals the charm around his neck, for example.) Not to mention the fact that she'd already figured out how easy he was to tease by the end of episode three. But most of their initial bonding took place during the date.

Indeed. Again, my confusion is not the relationship as stands, just its genesis and the odd tone in the first few episodes.

But when you think about it, it's a fairly tricky thing to pull off deliberately. Ranka is far away on the beach, and Bobby is actually physically blocking the line of sight between Ranka and the beach hut when Sheryl starts to lean toward Alto for the kiss.

True, but the show outright establishes that she did see it, or was at least aware. Bad setup or no. Unless you're suggesting mere coincidence that that's just exactly when she makes up her mind. The shot you show could suggest peripheral vision. Though it's a moot point.

If you want to make sense of what happened, you'll need to go back to the scene where Alto first finds out that he has to do a kiss (when the original actress was still cast as Mao, rather than Ranka). Sheryl teased Alto a bit, but she also looked worried about how he was taking it. When Sheryl comes to talk to Alto at the beach, her response to Alto's worries about Ranka's ability to do the role was "But what about yourself?" So it looks like she had originally intended to come help Alto while Bobby helped Ranka. A combination of Sheryl's rapidly growing feelings towards Alto, his feigned nonchalance, and Sheryl's impulsiveness were probably what brought on the kiss.

On Sheryl's part, the kiss was less of a statement than it was a question. She's initially giddy just after the kiss, but then there's a long, awkward pause where she tries to read Alto's expression (who is still busy trying to mentally process what just happened). When she can't read his response, she covers it up, thinking that she's gone too far. It's quite an impressive scene because the dialogue is essentially "mimed out" to the audience, rather than made explicit. So while the scene can leave you feeling quite uncomfortable and awkward, it's difficult to pinpoint why until you scrutinze it in more detail.

It also highlights how very vulnerable Sheryl has become as far as Alto is concerned, in spite of all her internal strength. There's a very gradual transition here that can be traced through episode five and seven, and it's a lot of fun to watch. But that's a story for another time. ;)

Interesting thoughts. . I still find it plausible that it was a nudge at Ranka. At least in part.

Minmay is Minmay, Ranka is Ranka, Misa is Misa, and Sheryl is Sheryl. These homages point in so many different (opposing!) directions that I wonder if they aren't simply there to encourage wild speculation and uncertainty. Take each as a unique character in their own right, and you'll get the most out of the experience.

Oh, I already do, and Sheryl is no Misa. Not in the slightest. The last thing I do is compare characters outside of shows. Though I'd be remiss if it wasn't pointed out. Especially given how much this show has already stolen from SDF Macross. Heck, I was developing fears at times that this was indeed a full blown, under the radar remake ala Gundam SEED given how similar things were.

I understand that, as of now, Sheryl can be difficult to connect to, since we've gotten so little in the way of monologues from her. But keep a close eye on her; there are a lot of small, quick changes in her expression that can be easily be missed on a first watch. Or a second. But she's all there. :D

I bet. If Frontier has a strength, it's that the characters are interesting, even if they're currently a bit shallow. There's promise there. Personally, I wonder how Ranka's ties to the Vajra will play out.

I suppose any kind of popularity comes with haters. I mean, the other big-busted girls have their share of haters too and they're not doing anything wrong (yet?).

Indeed they do. :lol: Heck, I find it really amusing that there's so much opinion on Klan or Nanase. They really have nothing going for them as characters. Heck, they're practically just characatures. Klans got the whole hotshot ace mixed with your average Osana Najimi, and Nanase is just the quirky best friend/fanservice character. Not that there's anything wrong with like them. I've noticed that anime fans seem to prefer characters more on what they do, rather then why they do. Case in point, Alucard from Hellsing TV. Here is probably the most piss-poor lead character ever devised. Nothing more that a cocky (especially in the dub which ruins the gentlemanly aspect George Nakata gave him, an aspect he desperately needed), over-powered bastard simply looking for a good fight. No depth whatsoever. No substance, just a badass in fights there was no way of him losing, and fans knew it. So an all around horrid character. Meant to advance the plot, and be forgotten. Yet, he's loved by thousands, and spoken of as though he were one of the greatest fictional characters ever animated and that Hellsing TV was the epitomy of good anime. Even today, dozens cosplay him at cons. It's only with the advent of english manga and the OAV, which actually gives him a past, personality, and purpose for Victoria that so many finally admitted what garbage Hellsing TV was.

Or how many people hate Kiminozo's Mitsuki for her percieved actions, despite being one of the most well written, sysmpathetic characters in her genre, in favor of the cute, but ultimately bland in comparison, Haruka because she's the good girl.

So it seems a lot of fans value style over substance. Nothing wrong with it, I suppose. It sure explains a lot. I like the amusing background characters too, but they're sort of just there at the moment. ;)

I'm sure I've been sniped by now, and need some sleep. Sorry if I've been too armentive or something. Last thing I want is a heated debate.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

People are a bit worked up at Animesuki over the whole "who will end up with whom" issue, right now. Much character bashing has ensued, especially towards Sheryl, given that her actions can seem so ambiguous at times. It's unfortunate that you happened to walk into some of the backlash. :p

LOL, yeah you're right about Animesuki!

And there's one particular poster that is such an overzealous Ranka fan that she seems to ignore most of the evidence that points to particular things that have to do with Sheryl...this poster needs to lighten up but I can't help but read her posts since I find them humorous at times. She's one heck of a Ranka-supporter :lol: Nothing wrong with it though. Shipping is fun to do but sometimes people can just go overboard...I've been guilty a few times myself :(

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

LOL, yeah you're right about Animesuki!

And there's one particular poster that is such an overzealous Ranka fan that she seems to ignore most of the evidence that points to particular things that have to do with Sheryl...this poster needs to lighten up but I can't help but read her posts since I find them humorous at times. She's one heck of a Ranka-supporter :lol:

Gotta admit though that it would be terribly one sided on AS without her around though. Though I'm finding all these excuses for her stuffing up in True Tears funny considering she was just as adamant with that show as she is now with Frontier.

Nothing wrong with it though. Shipping is fun to do but sometimes people can just go overboard...I've been guilty a few times myself :(

Guilty as charged for True Tears and Frontier :(

Edited by Westlo

I find that people on generalized anime message boards don't know as much as they claim to compared to people on specialized boards like this. :D I wouldn't trust any polls or opinions posted there. :p:)

Yeah I seem to recall someone posting that the one particular poster that Westlo and I were referring to got her knowledge of the original Macross series by watchin 2 episodes and reading a wiki-entry. LOL.

I've been with the Macross universe since the 80's but there are plenty of details I had forgotten along the way. So that's why I'm glad to have run across this forum...the information has been enlightening.

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

Gotta admit though that it would be terribly one sided on AS without her around though. Though I'm finding all these excuses for her stuffing up in True Tears funny considering she was just as adamant with that show as she is now with Frontier.

That rings true...although right now, Animesuki reminds me of the Lakers vs Celtics game LOL! Talk about vicious...

Oh well....I'm still shipping Sheryl regardless!

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

Yeah I seem to recall someone posting that the one particular poster that Westlo and I were referring to got her knowledge of the original Macross series by watchin 2 episodes and reading a wiki-entry. LOL.

That was me, she was arguing on Random Curiosity's blog that the first girl shown is more important because it gives the viewer a connection with her. She than pointed out Misa in Macross... and than I'm like have you even watched the series? Minmei dominates the start period and Misa wasn't even a love interest until later on. That's when I found out about the instant expert recipe of 2 episodes + wiki.

Oh and I also pointed out that Deculture showed off off 1-2 mins of Sheryl before it even went to Ranka and that during Ranka's intro sequence she as standing next to a Sheryl poster. That's why you haven't seen her "shown first" argument on AS :lol::lol:

Edited by Westlo

That was me, she was arguing on Random Curiosity's blog that the first girl shown is more important because it gives the viewer a connection with her. She than pointed out Misa in Macross... and than I'm like have you even watched the series? Minmei dominates the start period and Misa wasn't even a love interest until later on. That's when I found out about the instant expert recipe of 2 episodes + wiki.

Oh and I also pointed out that Deculture showed off off 1-2 mins of Sheryl before it even went to Ranka and that during Ranka's intro sequence she as standing next to a Sheryl poster. That's why you haven't seen her "shown first" argument on AS :lol::lol:

Oh right! If I can recall, the scene in Deculture you are referring to is when Sheryl was flying towards Frontier, right? Correct me if I'm wrong...I just seem to recall the opening of the episode with Sheryl in some visors and a female voice saying "keep your seatbelts on" or something...may have to rewatch that.

:lol: I guess she's willfully constructing the series to fit her own needs which are Ranka-centric.

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

Oh right! If I can recall, the scene in Deculture you are referring to is when Sheryl was flying towards Frontier, right? Correct me if I'm wrong...I just seem to recall the opening of the episode with Sheryl in some visors and a female voice saying "keep your seatbelts on" or something...may have to rewatch that.

Yeah it opens up with her shuttle coming out of fold and she's dreaming about Strawberry Pie, she than wakes up see's Frontier and goes gaga over it. Considering her actions in episode 5 and what we find out in 6 it's easy to see why.

That rings true...although right now, Animesuki reminds me of the Lakers vs Celtics game LOL! Talk about vicious...

Oh well....I'm still shipping Sheryl regardless!

--Lone Wolf

一匹狼

The drama on AS is like the only thing getting me through a week with no Frontier :wacko: although I think I may have already ruined people's childhood memories even tho I just signed up :ph34r: I tried watching Aquarion but it was so, so bad I couldn't take it any more. I can't decide whether to torture myself watching something else now or just rewatch 1-10 again with a different set of subs...

I gotta say tho I'm a big fan of an NBA Finals with tempers flaring... I don't think Tim Duncan & the Spurs are human...

Yeah it opens up with her shuttle coming out of fold and she's dreaming about Strawberry Pie, she than wakes up see's Frontier and goes gaga over it. Considering her actions in episode 5 and what we find out in 6 it's easy to see why.

Mmmmmmmmmmmm Sheryl's strawberry pie...

You guy's posts are WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too long for a thread like this. :p Don't you have anything better to do? :lol:

You have no idea....^_^ But once you get started...

Now you see why I try to drift away from forums, especially considering that I'm in the "like all" camp.

Edited by Mercurial Morpheus

Welcome to Macross World. It's much more laid back, if still a tad anal at times. ^_^
Thank you very much. And sorry for what I just said in my last post, I was little hotheaded at the time.

But I guess I won't be this aggressive if not for her.

Can someone tell me why Ranka, the main female character, has 12 votes, and Sheryl, the OTHER main female character, has 83 votes? :mellow:

Edit: Correction, 83. :mellow:

My guess would be that more MW members prefer Sheryl at this time.

Can someone tell me why Ranka, the main female character, has 12 votes, and Sheryl, the OTHER main female character, has 83 votes? :mellow:

It is a hard evidence that most of MW member is not a moe driven character fan :lol:

Sheryl is popular because she's more mature, playful, great character overal and....ehem....had her personal stuff stolen :huh:

Yes, as someone who misses anime before the advent of modern moe trends, I agree with you.

This is precisely why I enjoy this show so much. I started watching anime when we were passing fansubs around via videotape. I grew up on anime cutting my teeth on "Escaflowne" , "Rayearth" and other anime that were abit more intricate and the characters weren't ALL tragic.

Sheryl is really a great mix of two or three archetypes to me -- it's almost like getting Belldandy and Urd together because it's not so straightforward.

The only real problem I have with these pairings that people are getting so into is that the romance is a plot device that is almost necessary for ALto. Alto is really fun, but sometimes I think he's a piece of cardboard, shaped more by everyone seeing him than us understanding him for himself . (Part of hte problem is he doesn't even understand himself and hasn't let us the audience in to his thinking. Maybe that will change in the next episode as we get more exposition on him, but I'm irked that we've had more exposition into other's past than the primary character so far...)

Anyways, back to the topic at hand.

I like Sheryl. She's more like the person I'd like to be. Her character is fun to explore.

I like Ranka - she's the little sister that I would always like to have. Her growth is what I'd like to see.

Sheryl knows how to steal hearts :D Or at least, she appears to be the stronger, assertive girl and some of us want that!

Now it's 13 for Ranka, 84 for Sheryl. What you should be surprised with is how two other not-so-main female characters are out-voting her also ;)

Edited by mike_s_6

BTW - I did go into AnimeSuki to find the translations of the blogs and would like to see these posted separately to spare myself from the Ranka vs. Sheryl debating. The content in itself is very useful to understanding the characters better...

I think people can relate to her more than Ranka (just my opinion). For those of you who are married like me, my wife drove me nutz, challenged me, etc. so I can see how I'd more biased towards her. It's been said people are attracted to imperfections and Sheryl has a lot of them. However, after rewatching all the episodes though I'm up in the air as to who Alto would end up with if at all. I think someone said it best earlier that Sheryl is Sheryl, Ranka is Ranka in terms of how the story is going to turn out even though they've taken a lot from SDF.

Because Sheryl is awesome.

Because Sheryl rocks my socks off. :lol:

QFDT!!!*

*Quoted For Deculture Truth

Now it's 13 for Ranka, 84 for Sheryl. What you should be surprised with is how two other not-so-main female characters are out-voting her also ;)

Because size matters! :lol:

And also because Gubaba and MisaForever happen to be fanatics willing to rally people to their cause.

Edited by d3v

QFDT!!!*

*Quoted For Deculture Truth

Because size matters! :lol:

And also because Gubaba and MisaForever happen to be fanatics willing to rally people to their cause.

Possibly true, but either MisaForsaken is better at it, or else controversy sells...because, to my chagrin, Klan is beating out Nanase by a healthy margin... :)

Possibly true, but either MisaForsaken is better at it, or else controversy sells...because, to my chagrin, Klan is beating out Nanase by a healthy margin... :)

Klan also brings in the loli vote.

I voted for Sheryl!

After episode 8 she has conquered my heart! :) What a fun loving joyful girl!

Ranka has become way too serious and focused on her "big career"

Sheryl has become a girl who chases her panties while not wearing underwear.

HOW can I NOT vote for Sheryl?? :)

VFTF1

I voted for Sheryl!

After episode 8 she has conquered my heart! :) What a fun loving joyful girl!

Ranka has become way too serious and focused on her "big career"

Sheryl has become a girl who chases her panties while not wearing underwear.

HOW can I NOT vote for Sheryl?? :)

VFTF1

*rubs eyes*

Who are you and what have you done with VFTF1?

j/k lol

*rubs eyes*

Who are you and what have you done with VFTF1?

j/k lol

On the contrary, I think the REAL VFTF1 is back...the one who said this...

M7: Mmmm....they ride around their valks wearing 80s rocker outfits and steer the jet by playing musical instruments? No thanks.

I guess the only stuff I've enjoyed so far has been SDF1 TV and Macross Plus. Even DYRL I didn't like that much.

VFTF1

...and probably loves Sheryl. The imposter was the Basara-loving, Sheryl-hating being we have seen on these boards for the last year or so.

Either that, or VFTF1 is a man of great whim and fickleness...pray he never gains power, or else none of us is safe... :ph34r:

Either that, or VFTF1 is a man of great whim and fickleness...pray he never gains power, or else none of us is safe...

This is probably closer to the truth :)

But I STILL love Bassara - my conversion to Macross 7 is solid! Heck - I even listen to Fire Bomber on my Soundwave MP3 Player every day ! :)

And it's not that I don't like Ranka anymore - Sheryl has just made great strides of progress :)

But anything is possible --- and you have to give a thumbs up to the writers of M:F for creating a story where the audience's preference in the love triangle changes:)

Otherwise it would be boring and there would be no dramatic tension :)

VFTF1