Macross Frontier Plot Theories...

all i know is

1. leon and grace said they were training the vajra(assume against conventional weapons so only ranka singing works or what ever BFG Galaxy has cooked up)

2. the Galaxy conspiracy said they were going to do something the protoculture could never do in 500,000 years

3. leon/grace also seem to be playing with LAI and SMS and the emerging fold quartz market

4. Galaxy staged its dissappearance so they could work from the shadows, and to whip up the emotions of the NUN and sheryl

5. sheryl a fabricated idol that was meant to be insanely popular with the people in NUN and maybe also a experimental fold comm device. sheryl if a failure of being a anti vajra singer could still serve the purpose of dying at the height of popularity and stir up the people.

6. briler is interested in fold quartz so he can give the people cheap fast safe long distance fold travel and comm

7. Ozma, Ranka, Breara's pasts with the 117th fleet are a huge part of what is happening now.

8. Ozma and Cathy know that the cyborgs are up to something and that leon is in on it.

9. Mihkeil and Klan are uncovering the truth of Sheryl's past

we got a lot of people conspiring, discovering, spying, slurmhing yet nothing is really happening. we are still flying blind into the abyss.

Edited by sucker4meltrans

I think this is proving some interesting things but I think that Ranka is going to play a big part when Sheryl gets better. Because if you remember in the episode of Sheryl's farewell concert the fold quartz that she had given to Alto allowed the song to be used to stop the Vajara. Also another thing I think at least right now the conversation that Sheryl had with Grace suggests that the V-type Infection may kill her, but I think that they will find a cure because I have a read some other brief summaries of future episodes and Sheryl eventually returns to sing. So I think that that the duo of Sheryl and Ranka plus a special type of booster similar to the idea from Macross 7 may be the answer to defeating the Vajara like how the Protodevlin were weakened from the singing.

That is my guess...

Leon and Grace said they were training the Vajra? I think I missed that line. I remember hearing that the Vajra were evolving.

They did not. It's a plausible theory however that one of their goals was to allow the Vajra to evolve defences against all of frontiers conventional weapons, rendering frontier defenceless in the long run.

Again... people are talking about defeating the Vajra in the finale, when it's clear that what they should strive for is peace with the Vajra, not open war. The characters have to find out about Grace's true intentions. I doubt Frontier will end with the destruction of the Vajra race. If it does then the show ends in a sad note.

Again... people are talking about defeating the Vajra in the finale, when it's clear that what they should strive for is peace with the Vajra, not open war. The characters have to find out about Grace's true intentions. I doubt Frontier will end with the destruction of the Vajra race. If it does then the show ends in a sad note.

Oh I believe you're quite right, and that Frontier really will end on a friendly note concerning the Vajra. Wouldn't be Macross if it didn't. This seems to be the very opposite goal of the Galaxy Anonymous however, who clearly seem to be turning out to be the true villains of the show.

I felt sad for that Red Lobster type who latched on the Koneig Monster, helping itself to the angelic voice of Little Queen. Brera had to blow it to bits while it was chilling.

I think that happens to all fans who got a bit too close to their idol singer during concert, but normal security guards never vaporize them :lol:

I want my Galaxy :angry:

Here's a plot theory coming totally out of left-field:

Alto's adopted older brother is, in fact, jealous of Sheryl/Ranka and wants Alto all to himself.

- All flashbacks about him show him wrapping his arms around Alto during private practice

- He's always trying to get Alto to come back

- He's willing to manipulate the lives of other people (e.g. Sheryl) if it means he can have Alto - very Touma-like

- He is scheming for reasons which not even Father Ranzo is aware of

Of course, Episode 19 might reveal that he just enjoys acting like he is in love with Alto, or that he is in love with the character Alto used to play

Communication is alway the key to successful peace talks, I hope they can find some way before NUNS and LAI develop the miniaturized FD(Fold Dislocation) Bomb.

I have a feeling Fold quartz has a duel purpose, to navigate space that is filled with fold dislocations with ease and to create fold dislocations i.e. the DE( Dimension Eater).

One possible motive for cybernetization could be Brera and the VF-27. If it comes to pass that conventional pilots in conventional fighters can't beat the Vajra, the logical progression of that arms race is to further and further cyborgify, until you've eventually replaced piloted craft with Ghost-like cyborgs... which would be easier for the cyborg/AI/whatever conspiracy to dominate.

Also, maybe humanity do wipe out the Vajra by the end of the series (or maybe all but do so), but soon realize that they've made a terrible mistake. (Beyond just feeling bad for wiping out a species, maybe they destroy the only possible supply of fold quartz.) Would make for a nice downer ending. :) I'd have to say a Macross tradition is for everything to not work out for the best. (Honestly, was vaporizing the Earth's surface really a good outcome?) It'd also be in tune with an environmental message concerning anthropological species extinction, if you want to go down that route.

That said, I doubt it'll happen. :) Humanity's just not competent enough to efficiently wipe out an entire species without some hue and cry. In the end, all parties will have to come to some kind of understanding, although I have my doubts that it'll be rainbows and puppies peace. Maybe humans and Vajra just learn to go their separate ways.

Well, given that Galaxy is currently missing after a Vajra attack, the three simplist responses to that question are:

1) They are in fact pawns like everyone else.

2) The disappearence of the Galaxy fleet is an elabourate fraud.

3) They suffered from the old cliche that affects scientists, in that they messed with things they didn't understand, and it blew up in their faces. Probably under Grace's direction (see 1).

I'm not convinced persay that Galaxy or any character is the ultimate badguy, although I think Grace is at best a Well Intentioned Extremist.

Episode 15 showed that Galaxy is alive and well... and hiding from Frontier...

Let me see... Apparently Grace caused:

a) The decimation of the 117th fleet

b) The Vajra attacks on Frontier

c) The near destruction of Galia IV (and the 33th with it...)

And still you call her "a well intentioned extremist"? WTH... Grace is more like an inhuman utilitarian to me... (Her behavior is just like that of a remorseless A.I. than anything). Sharon Apple anyone...?

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Episode 15 showed that Galaxy is alive and well... and hiding from Frontier...

Let me see... Apparently Grace caused:

a) The decimation of the 117th fleet

b) The Vajra attacks on Frontier

c) The near destruction of Galia IV (and the 33th with it...)

And still you call her "a well intentioned extremist"? WTH... Grace is more like an inhuman utilitarian to me... (Her behavior is just like that of a remorseless A.I. than anything). Sharon Apple anyone...?

I didn't interpret the scene that way, mainly because that ship did not resemble any previous colony ship, and seemed to be a little bit damaged. As for the Grace being Well Intentioned Extremist, I was going by this definition. The reason why I said "at best", instead of saying flat out she was one, is that we don't know what her motivations are. I'll try to explain myself better in future.

Edited by Ork_dreadnought

I didn't interpret the scene that way, mainly because that ship did not resemble any previous colony ship, and seemed to be a little bit damaged.

Looks just fine to me.

post-9073-1218618705_thumb.jpg

from ep 7, before the Vajra attack

post-9073-1218618719_thumb.jpg

from the end of ep 15

Also, when Grace is talking to Sheryl in ep 15 concerning the fate of Galaxy, we breifly get to see this when she refers to the "Mainland" ship:

post-9073-1218619192_thumb.jpg

While the damaged state is obviously fake, it should be fairly clear that the term refers to the main purple ship.

Edited by VF-25 Messiah

Is the "damaged" picture just supposed to be someone's imagination of the carnage the Vajra have inflicted on Galaxy? Seems a little disingenuous to show us that image of Galaxy if it wasn't made clear that that wasn't necessarily the state it was in.

Edited by jenius

Is the "damaged" picture just supposed to be someone's imagination of the carnage the Vajra have inflicted on Galaxy? Seems a little disingenuous to show us that image of Galaxy if it wasn't made clear that that wasn't necessarily the state it was in.

I believe the short sequence of the damaged Galaxy was first shown in episode 6 when the President is making his speech, where it is shown, together with images of the first Vajra attack, thereby making it actual footage.

In hindsight I expressed myself a little clumsily in my last post, stating that it was "obviously fake". While I believe it is fake footage given the fact that Galaxy is shown later to be without a scratch, I suppose it could just as easily be that it had been damaged then gotten repaired... Whatever the case is, it isn't damaged anymore.

Edited by VF-25 Messiah

Until Grace's ultimate goal is revealed nobody can say for sure if she's just evil or a well intentioned extremist. I think a "pure" villain, a character who's evil just to be the antagonist, is rather flat and really poor writing. If Grace's actions could be motivated by some greater achievement, it would be a nice turn around and people would be more "Oh, that makes sense...I suppose" instead of "She's just an evil bitch".

I think it's perfectly fine saying she's evil. Whatever this 'greater achievement' might be, it doesn't change the fact that she's destroyed a planet, murdering everyone on it. She also appears to have orchestrated a conflict against Frontier and the Vajra, resulting in heavy casaulties on both sides, and I suspect she's probably highly involved in the demise of the 117th fleet as well. Wether motivated by this greater achievement or purely selfish gains, these were still evil actions.

I think it's perfectly fine saying she's evil. Whatever this 'greater achievement' might be, it doesn't change the fact that she's destroyed a planet, murdering everyone on it. She also appears to have orchestrated a conflict against Frontier and the Vajra, resulting in heavy casaulties on both sides, and I suspect she's probably highly involved in the demise of the 117th fleet as well. Wether motivated by this greater achievement or purely selfish gains, these were still evil actions.

and you're fotgetting her most EVIL scheme ever... leaving Sheryl to die!!! :(

Communication is alway the key to successful peace talks, I hope they can find some way before NUNS and LAI develop the miniaturized FD(Fold Dislocation) Bomb.

I say don't do peace talk yet, let NUNS and LAI develop more advance variable fighter and weapons :ph34r: .

So Vajra is an evolving bio-mechanical weapon, and it has already adapted with NUNS/SMS standard weaponary (including reaction weapon). Since Vajra is quite vulnerable to beam weapon (eg. Zentreadi rifle) this mean the Vajra is relatively new to the Galaxy, if its not the Vajra has already encountered Zentraedi and adapted to their weapons.

This support my theory that Vajra is man made.

I say don't do peace talk yet, let NUNS and LAI develop more advance variable fighter and weapons :ph34r: .

So Vajra is an evolving bio-mechanical weapon, and it has already adapted with NUNS/SMS standard weaponary (including reaction weapon). Since Vajra is quite vulnerable to beam weapon (eg. Zentreadi rifle) this mean the Vajra is relatively new to the Galaxy, if its not the Vajra has already encountered Zentraedi and adapted to their weapons.

This support my theory that Vajra is man made.

I completely agree... and it really makes sense.

I can't wait for the Vajra related revelations yet to come... ^_^

I agree that the Vajra are biologically engineered WMDs.

I believe that their true form are microscopic organisms responsible for the V-type infection which increases aggression in their hosts (Hydra, Sheryl), except for one: Ranka.

I believe that the huge bio-mechanical "Vajra" that the Frontier people are fighting now are merely hosts, whose original forms were those of Ai-kun. After being infected by the V-type infection, which is the "true" form of the Vajra, these creatures then evolve into their present form.

Perhaps the V-type infection/Vajra, changes the biological structure of their hosts, forcing them to evolve into mindless killing machines that are controlled by the Vajra microorganisms on the cellular level. Which explains why they have no brain (host brain is eliminated to ensure full control by the Vajra organism).

Maybe the 117th engineers chose Ai-kun's race for their subjects because they have simple brains and biology (i.e. easily controlled and manipulated by the Vajra organisms). Whereas humans, because of their complex thought processes/sentience are not so easily manipulated, hence the varying manifestations of the disease (Sheryl=agressive, Ranka=meek).

Or, maybe the 117th were simply experimenting on how the Vajra organisms affect different hosts, and accidentally caused Ai-kun's race to evolve into what they are now, with disastrous results for them.

A penny for your thoughts.

Well if Vajra is indeed a bio-engineered WMD, this doesn't explain why they could produce the fold quartz in their body.

My guess is the fold quartz is a by-product during Vajra evolution. The quartz serve as communication organ for the Vajra (capable of fold communication and possibly travel). The Vajra Queen have several fold quartz all over its body suggesting its the control center of all Vajra while possibly the drone have only a single fold quartz as their communication organ.

As the series has suggested, some fold quartz ended in Ranka's body, thus she have some sort of link to the Vajra main hive (she could 'speak' to the Queen in epi.14). And also her singing resonate with the fold quartz causing some sort of culture shock to the Vajra fold communication network (this explains why the Vajra are confused everytime Ranka sings).

I think Galaxy is manipulating event to control Vajra as their main bio-weapon while Birla is trying to harvest the fold-quartz to monopolize the fold travel.

B))

If Fold Quartz is unique to the Vajra then how does Bilra know anything about it? Does he have a relationship to the 117th also? Is it possible Fold Quartz has other origins as well (although likely not nearly as plentiful)? It seems definite at this point that the V-type infection is related to the Vajra (hence the earlier issues with quarantines). We know that Grace and Mao worked together on some scientific project. I'm guessing Sheryl was one experiment: she was infected with the V-type virus and then given inhibitors to control its development. Ranka was a second type of experiment probably done more under Mao's supervision (perhaps a fusing of Vajra DNA which helps negate the effects of the V-type infection and also causes Ranka to develop fold crystals internally like a Vajra queen).

We also know that, as evil as Grace is, she really is working toward accomplishing a feat so grandiose that the Protoculture themselves were unable to accomplish it. It would appear that this feat is timeless/flawless folds and fold communication which would shrink the universe down from infinite vastness to a tiny neighborhood. I would suspect that Grace's sin is hubris and we will eventually learn that there's a reason the Protoculture never got to the place Grace is striving for. In the meantime, is it possible that Grace just needs a huge enough Vajra body count so that she can harvest enough Fold Quartz to make her vision a reality and that's why she keeps spurring all these battles? Is she just trying to make it appear that destroying all the Vajra is the only way humanity will be safe so that she can ensure herself enough crystals?

If Fold Quartz is unique to the Vajra then how does Bilra know anything about it? Does he have a relationship to the 117th also? Is it possible Fold Quartz has other origins as well (although likely not nearly as plentiful)? It seems definite at this point that the V-type infection is related to the Vajra (hence the earlier issues with quarantines). We know that Grace and Mao worked together on some scientific project. I'm guessing Sheryl was one experiment: she was infected with the V-type virus and then given inhibitors to control its development. Ranka was a second type of experiment probably done more under Mao's supervision (perhaps a fusing of Vajra DNA which helps negate the effects of the V-type infection and also causes Ranka to develop fold crystals internally like a Vajra queen).

We also know that, as evil as Grace is, she really is working toward accomplishing a feat so grandiose that the Protoculture themselves were unable to accomplish it. It would appear that this feat is timeless/flawless folds and fold communication which would shrink the universe down from infinite vastness to a tiny neighborhood. I would suspect that Grace's sin is hubris and we will eventually learn that there's a reason the Protoculture never got to the place Grace is striving for. In the meantime, is it possible that Grace just needs a huge enough Vajra body count so that she can harvest enough Fold Quartz to make her vision a reality and that's why she keeps spurring all these battles? Is she just trying to make it appear that destroying all the Vajra is the only way humanity will be safe so that she can ensure herself enough crystals?

You talk about Grace as if she's the single responsible person for all of this. Grace is no longer a singular consciousness, but part of a greater collection of consciousnesses. So I doubt if Grace the individual is the sole perpetrator of these events.

But I do agree with you that whoever Grace is working for/with does want to harvest fold crystals quickly, and possibly for a different purpose than Mr. Birla. Maybe Galaxy Corp. is just interested in monopolizing the market for fold crystals, with Mr. Birla as one of their well paying clients.

And indeed, what faster method of harvesting than by causing an endless slaughter of Vajra, using the Frontier to do their dirty work.

Sneaky corporations. Always out to make a profit.

I just wanted to throw this out there:

Sheryl will personally kill Grace in one way or another.

Or make an attempt at it.

The V-type virus being the control mechanism for the vajra is so out there, I can't buy it.

Though, it would explain the sudden reanimation of the 'dead' lobster in the tank (a la EVA 00).

If its brain was destroyed, how could it reanimate?

While I agree there is a hivemind, i don't think it would be just the virus controlling it. There has to be some other thing catch to it; I think the fold-quartz in the blood is just a side effect and not the reason behind the control.

You, Sir, are a genius! :ph34r:

Indeed. Then we can have a really cool Gunbuster-esque sequence, with a RANSHE BEEEEAAAAM!! and RANSHE SHIELDO!! I pick Gunbuster because I am partial to it. Insert yoru favorite gattai anime, and enjoy!

Edited by Duke Togo