Macross Frontier Episode 10 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 10 rating  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 10?

• Positive (Ranka looks so cute in Mao's dress)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Why waste time watching this when I can watch M0?)

just wondering about the mac0 movie within macf...

is there any indication that they (the movie's producers) marketed it as a true story? for all we know, it could have been just marketed as fiction, regardless that it actually happened. would the citizens know any better? :p

on the other hand, it's been more than 50 years since the events of mac0. and by this time, i guess everyone knows about protoculture, so releasing the mac0 events to the public isn't such a big deal anymore. so the protoculture tried to kill the very humans they created. big deal. the zentraedi and protodevlin have already tried, anyway. :)

I really like what ep. 10 did for Ranka; she's finally gotten noticed! It was pretty neat to see the references of Zero and this episode as well as the differences in between; all in all a good episode.

Sheryl is quite the sneak though, grabbing that kiss from Alto ;P Too cute.

I'm loving things so far.

I gotta say - i think "hydra" is a poor name for a 4 legged monster with one head and wings. If I was an Eden colonist and encountered a lion-like thing with wings I would have called it a "griffon" or "manticore" or possibly the more generic "chimera'". The Hydra was a multi-headed snake.

No point really. Just that the Eden colonists were not that well versed in classic myths and that I'm a pedant.

I thought that as well (I also thought of the "Planet Hydra Incident" that Isamu had some part in, according the file on him that Guld tapped into), but enh, whatever. My biggest problem with the Hydra is that, in Mac Plus, it appears that life on Eden is very young and primitive...nothing has quite evolved out of the age of the dinosaurs, and yet, the Hydra looks like a rather more complex lifeform.

Not to say that it COULDN'T exist on Eden, but the difference between it, and the pterosaur and the pelican thingy is a little TOO pronounced, I think...like if they had a new Zolan lifeform that wasn't a marsupial.

Other than the lame monster fight in the middle (Both a bad idea and badly executed) this was a decent Ep. Loved the Zero moments, it makes the whole universe feel more connected, like hearing Fire Bomber songs in the early eps.

Also, WAY less fanservice, which was a bonus.

Frontier continues to be fun for me, though not my Fav macross series.

First... Next episode
will be about Ranka and Sheryl both trying to make parties for Alto's birthday... and Alto skipping them both, hehe... I believe because each will have their hands full of family matters/work/promotions, etc.

What I got out of Babelfishing the summary on the official episode 11 page

was that Alto's brother was somehow involved with the episode. So while I have no reason not to think you're correct about Ranka and Sheryl (and in fact am pretty sure that at least Ranka will be involved), it looks like it's going to get even more complicated.

Second, I believe the "agent" (I bet is Grace) was asking Leon for Super Dimension Resonance Crystals (not her words) in exchange of giving him information on the Vajra and the VF-27... The agent gave the sample to Leon to show him what she wanted...

If it's Grace (and I'm still in the "wait and see" camp), then my guess is that the request was to have a replacement earring crafted for Sheryl.

Btw... Did Alto got his hair cut short in this episode? I just couldn't notice it, hehe... :wacko:

No, he didn't. You can see it long during the film screening segment at the end after Ranka gets the standing ovation. During Scene 47 he had it bound up and tucked behind his head. If you look carefully when he talks briefly with Ranka right before they dive, you can see it.

Does Ranka think that if she becomes a big star, she can replace Sheryl and have Alto all to herself? I get this feeling that she's heading in that kind of direction.

I think Nanase has that view of what Ranka can accomplish (though for Nanase, Ranka grabbing Alto would probably be the secondary, albeit only slightly less important, goal). But I think for Ranka the two goals are completely independent of each other.

I think starting next episode, though, Ranka's going to learn that chasing one goal is going to make it a lot harder to chase the other.

Edited by junior

Another episode I'm going to skip when I get the DVD. Again the love triangle was the most interesting aspect of the episode.

I believe Macross 0 isn't important enough for the saga to make a tribute to it (I know both stories are related, and I'm affraid of it!)

The things that I dislike the most:

1. The Hydra aka 'giant dog with wings' (That thing came from Eden? hello!??? what about a frickin' saurobird?) It almost looks like something from Pokemon or Digimon.

2. 'Breera-nator' Is he a robot or something? we've already seen that like a hundred times in other series-movies. C'mon give us something more original!

3. The fight scene: Breera cut the Hydra in a half. I was like: am I watching Dragon Ball Z or what?!!! vulgar stuff.

4. If Ranka came to the island on a boat, Why the hell the other girl didn't came the same way?!!!

Well, still a good series. But I really didn't like this episode.

2. 'Breera-nator' Is he a robot or something? we've already seen that like a hundred times in other series-movies. C'mon give us something more original!

Given that we know that he's from the Galaxy fleet, I think people would have been more bothered if he HADN'T been completely borged out. What's the point of playing up implants on Galaxy if the writers aren't going to show it off a time or two? I suspect that the hook for Brera's character isn't going to be his cyborg body, but rather his apparent connection to Ranka. The implants add a little color to his character, but ultimately I would imagine that Brera's harmonica will be far and away more important to the overall plot than what he's got under his skin.

4. If Ranka came to the island on a boat, Why the hell the other girl didn't came the same way?!!!

Any number of possible reasons. It's possible that she was involved in something related to the film at the other end of the island. Mao in particular spends a lot of time in Macross Zero outside of the beach village, and there might have been an on set rehearsal for a scene at, say, the spring.

I thought that as well (I also thought of the "Planet Hydra Incident" that Isamu had some part in, according the file on him that Guld tapped into), but enh, whatever. My biggest problem with the Hydra is that, in Mac Plus, it appears that life on Eden is very young and primitive...nothing has quite evolved out of the age of the dinosaurs, and yet, the Hydra looks like a rather more complex lifeform.

Not to say that it COULDN'T exist on Eden, but the difference between it, and the pterosaur and the pelican thingy is a little TOO pronounced, I think...like if they had a new Zolan lifeform that wasn't a marsupial.

That massive pelican/pterodactyl thingie with a 200m wingspan flying around seems awfully complex to me. Look at how varied life is on earth from region to region. Just the presence of something like that leaves the door open for just about anything, really. "The age of dinosaurs" is a very earth-specific line of evolution, and were it not for a stray asteroid things today would be very very very different. Humans weren't a foregone conclusion by any means. Life on Eden would have evolved under a very different set of circumstance, yielding who-knows-what. I do somehow doubt they'd resemble anything we're familiar with, though (a purple cat with wings and green highlights a la Cringer from He Man does strain credulity a bit ...).

"Primitive" to me would suggest microorganisms and such scuttling about in muddy pools. Complex multicelular lifeforms that run around and eat each other didn't appear on this planet until around 500-600 million years ago in the Cambrian explosion, (while evidence of bacteria and such date back billions of years - as soon as larger forms appeared, they just exploded all over the globe, though). An ecology that could create trees, bitter fruit, birds, etc would almost certainly have predators as well.

Ranka was just an extra at that time (Mayan Girl A), while Miss whateshername was the lead actress.

That massive pelican/pterodactyl thingie with a 200m wingspan flying around seems awfully complex to me. Look at how varied life is on earth from region to region. Just the presence of something like that leaves the door open for just about anything, really. "The age of dinosaurs" is a very earth-specific line of evolution, and were it not for a stray asteroid things today would be very very very different. Humans weren't a foregone conclusion by any means. Life on Eden would have evolved under a very different set of circumstance, yielding who-knows-what. I do somehow doubt they'd resemble anything we're familiar with, though (a purple cat with wings and green highlights a la Cringer from He Man does strain credulity a bit ...).

"Primitive" to me would suggest microorganisms and such scuttling about in muddy pools. Complex multicelular lifeforms that run around and eat each other didn't appear on this planet until around 500-600 million years ago in the Cambrian explosion, (while evidence of bacteria and such date back billions of years - as soon as larger forms appeared, they just exploded all over the globe, though). An ecology that could create trees, bitter fruit, birds, etc would almost certainly have predators as well.

I added the "Not to say it COULDN'T exist on Eden" specifically in the hopes of forestalling this kind of response, but ah well... ;)

I know "primitive" is the wrong term, but I couldn't find a single word that meant, "looks like they crawled out of the oceans a mere dozen or so millenia ago."

Anyway, everything on Eden that we saw in Plus looks like a dinosaur. The Hydra doesn't. Just sayin'.

Well, still a good series. But I really didn't like this episode.

well, if minmei got her own jet, maybe miranda got her very own military issue helicopter! :p

seriously, she's miss macross so it's not a surprise that people pay more attention to her than this skinny girl who has a tendency to dress up as a carrot. :) but with the developments in ep 10, that special treatment isn't gonna last... awww, poor girl. :p

Yep; special treatment --> because she's Miss Macross and the lead actress. Too bad the character with my namesake is your typical stuck up broad :p

As for the Hydra-creature thing, yeah, it really was kinda outta left field. And the animation for the scene where it fought against Alto looked really shoddy! But I guess they just wanted to get it over to show how awesome Breera is while dicing it in half lol.

Edited by Mandy

I added the "Not to say it COULDN'T exist on Eden" specifically in the hopes of forestalling this kind of response, but ah well... ;)

I know "primitive" is the wrong term, but I couldn't find a single word that meant, "looks like they crawled out of the oceans a mere dozen or so millenia ago."

Anyway, everything on Eden that we saw in Plus looks like a dinosaur. The Hydra doesn't. Just sayin'.

The overall theme for Eden was more or less avian-ish, lots of wings and feathers. The "Hydra" as it is does have both.

The overall theme for Eden was more or less avian-ish, lots of wings and feathers. The "Hydra" as it is does have both.

True. And I suppose there have to be mammals on Eden, we've just never seen them before...

If I'd been the Frontier designer, though, I would've made it less feline and more reptilian.

All this talk about the hydra....Considering our look into Eden was mostly on the base, or near the city and what, a few animals, why are we whining? New species of animals are found on Earth every year. I really just don't get what all the fuss about.

What I got out of Babelfishing the summary on the official episode 11 page

was that Alto's brother was somehow involved with the episode. So while I have no reason not to think you're correct about Ranka and Sheryl (and in fact am pretty sure that at least Ranka will be involved), it looks like it's going to get even more complicated.

From what I could read...

it looks like he is being asked to come back home because his father Saotome Ranzo is sick/collapsed. If the 2nd photo on the website is his brother... well they don't look alike

:p

All this talk about the hydra....Considering our look into Eden was mostly on the base, or near the city and what, a few animals, why are we whining? New species of animals are found on Earth every year. I really just don't get what all the fuss about.

I'm not really sure myself. I made an offhand comment that it looked very different than what we'd seen before, and others took exception to that.

It's more interesting than talking about which episode had the crappiest animation. At least, it is to me. :)

From what I could read...

it looks like he is being asked to come back home because his father Saotome Ranzo is sick/collapsed. If the 2nd photo on the website is his brother... well they don't look alike

:p

兄弟子 = elder schoolmate, or elder apprentice

This is why I hate Babelfish. It's one of the worst translators I've ever had the pain of knowing when trying to make a coherent sentence.

so brera's a cyborg, huh? i guess that explains why the vf-27 has maneuverability that isn't possible for humans to withstand even with an ex-gear.. but if brera and ranka are related somehow, i hope that doesn't mean ranka's a cyborg too. maybe she's a robot powered by a purple diamond reactor.

Edited by cyde01

I'm absolutely certain that the mysterious agent that met with Leon is Grace. Besides being in the credits despite not appearing in the episode as Grace as we know her, if you listen to her voice it sounds very much like the deepness of Inoue Kikuko's performance of The Boss in Metal Gear Solid 3. I wouldn't be surprised if this agent crossdresses to become Grace. There's certainly enough of that with Alto-hime and his Sakurahime Azuma Bunsho thing. :lol:

Alternately I wonder how advanced Galaxy's technology is. Maybe this agent is Grace inhabiting another body, not unlike what can be done in Ghost in the Shell, swapping your brain between bodies.

Either way it's Inoue Kikuko's voice.

As for Mao's actress, maybe she was off shooting second-unit scenes on another part of the island and when they got into that accident they were coming back to shoot with the first-unit (or whatever the primary group is called).

Excite seems to be the least offensive translator, though it's still far from perfect.

http://www.excite.co.jp/world/english/

I use Rikai-chan and attempt to translate each word. Babelfish is just weird. I also noticed the "senior/elder apprentice" translation, but I thought that the "elder brother" traslation (sans the "ko" syllable) made more sense considering that the next phrase is about family. Can someone who knows how to read Japanese please translate the preview completely to end the guessing?

EDIT: a phrase was missing :p

Edited by mike_s_6

well maybe grace has a variable cyborg body that can switch between male and female at will. :ph34r:

as for the previews, i would translate but i really don't want to read previews as it's kinda like reading spoilers. oh, btw the kanji that you were referring to 兄弟子(あにでし)is in fact elder apprentice.

well maybe grace has a variable cyborg body that can switch between male and female at will. :ph34r:

Yeah, and she was sent from the future with order to assasinate Ranka whose son will led a guerrillas resistance against the Cyborgs. j/k :ph34r:

I re-watched the episode with spanish subtitles, and there the agent/Grace words when mentioning the Hydra to Leon were something like "Eventually you will know how terrible the Vajra really are...". Maybe the agent was refering to

1) The V-Type infection, which is perhaps what is causing the Vajra to attack the fleet...

Or

2) Maybe the agent's faction were controlling the Hydra and they wanted Ranka dead, since she seems to be stopping the Vajra from attacking Frontier with all their force...

:ph34r:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

After watching Episode 10 for the umpteenth time, I realized that there is a one very important question that must be asked!

How the heck can Sheryl wear heels while walking on the beach?!?

post-8290-1213103473_thumb.jpg

I heard from my friends who have gone to Japan and Korea that the women there just wear heels everywhere. Even in trekking sites, you'll see girls in stilettos. I'm absolutely... amazed.

I heard from my friends who have gone to Japan and Korea that the women there just wear heels everywhere. Even in trekking sites, you'll see girls in stilettos. I'm absolutely... amazed.

I was in Japan 2 winters ago. Ice on the sidewalk, girls in short skits and stilettos. I was amazed none of them ever slipped and fell.