Macross Frontier Episode 10 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 10 rating  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 10?

• Positive (Ranka looks so cute in Mao's dress)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Why waste time watching this when I can watch M0?)

I wouldn't bet Shin had a biography so much as debriefing reports he and the other people probably filed during the course of Zero. Granted, he was a busy guy, but I'm sure after his initial rescue he would've been expected to give one massive report on what had happened on the island, and military regs probably would've dictated that he would have to give at least a brief rundown after every encounter.

Of course, Mao obviously witnessed a good portion of what the movie was about as well. The whole movie could have been based on her notes about it. We only saw bits of the movie where Mao was involved anyway, so there's no telling what other large changes could have been made to the story.

What I did find interesting were the changes to the final scene.. and not so much the lack of the VF-0 hitting the water (it actually made sense to remove that really, since it would've made a nasty break in the music at that point). Where was the carrier?? :blink: Mao and the villagers were singing from the deck, right after the Monster fired off the nukes. While it may have just been to simplify things, I still don't think they're telling the whole story. Without the carrier there, you can ignore Mao's transfusion (which may still be highly classified), the UN's plan for Op. Iconoclasm, plus any number of other things, and place the blame for the incident entirely on the Anti UN forces. We may never know for certain if the movie tells the truth or not.

One other thing... about Mao suriviving SWI. I know the Zentraedi essentially leveled Earth... but what's never been clear to me is if they targeted all of humanity, or just the populated areas. It's probably unlikely, but one episode of SDFM with Kamjin had him fixing up a cruiser that crashed in a rather lively rain-forest-ish area. I don't think there's any way that could've grown up on it's own in as short a timeframe as we see in the show. So, likelyhood is that big areas with no major human civilization might not have been specifically targeted. That could leave any number of regions of Earth relatively intact, possibly including Mayan island.

On the other hand, it does make sense that after Zero the entire population of the island would be moved for their own safety, or possibly study. Considering her family's background, I wouldn't be surprised if Mao and her father wound up advising the UN with what they knew about the Protoculture.

Btw, one other thought.. if we do wind up seeing Frontier in the US in the coming years, do you think they'll see fit to release Zero here as well? I don't know if Bandai was involved in that at all, but with the connections this show is forming, I think it would only make good sense to make them both available.

Edited by Chronocidal

Not really spoiling anything in the episode so I thought I would post it.

Nobody has said anything about this interesting outfit seen in the episode. I wonder if this is what he normally wears when he is out of uniform (it would explain a lot) or if he was trying to be incognito. Or is it another NUNS uniform being unveiled. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really funny though, enjoy......

To quote The Alchemist - "I'm in disguise as a ponchy gay guy that loves Warren Buffet." :lol:

But this scene makes me think we're getting a stolen-plot from House less durty. Leon - "Bring me the earring of Sheyl Nome!"

I just saw episode 10, and thought it was great. I'm glad to see that Ranka is not going to "roll over and play dead" for Sheryl. It seems as if she really wants Alto for herself, and is not going to allow here feelings about Sheryl to get in the way, although I still think she'll probably end up with Brera; I mean even if they do turn out to be brother and sister, Ranka will most likely end up leaving Alto and Sheryl together. Maybe it just me, but does anyone feel as if the opening song is

Ranka singing about Alto? It looks the lyrics to the sing is giving us some clues as to what is going to happen between them. I don't know but for some reason Macross 2 keeps coming to my mind when I think about these characters: Alto= Hibiki, Ranka=Ishtar, Sheryl=Sylvie, and Brera=Feff. Just speculation, that's all.

also I have a couple of questions:

1. Why was Sheryl at the movie shoot? It did not seem as if she had a part in the actual movie, only the soundtrack.

2. Didn't Shin die at the end of Macross Zero? I mean the VF-0 did crash into the ocean, although it did resurface, it then flies away and burst into feathers. I don't get it. :huh:

No mecha action but I loved this episode, what a nostalgia effect it had on me bringing in macross zero story lines! I don't know if anyone else thought of this but in the kiss scene between Alto and Sheryl the music they used reminded me of the old love scenes in the old james bond movies haha!

I wasn't sure if Alto was going to end up with Sheryl or Ranka but I think after watching this episode and seeing how things have progressed that Alto and Sheryl would be the better match. I think Sheryl made a good point when Alto said its just a kiss and he can handle it, and then getting kissed by sheryl and seeing his reaction. I think she goes into her mocking phase after the situation gets a little serious when they look at each other, but she proves a point a kiss isn't just a kiss as Alto says.

Can't wait for next week's episode.

P.S. Interesting theories some of you guys have.

1. Why was Sheryl at the movie shoot? It did not seem as if she had a part in the actual movie, only the soundtrack.

2. Didn't Shin die at the end of Macross Zero? I mean the VF-0 did crash into the ocean, although it did resurface, it then flies away and burst into feathers. I don't get it. :huh:

1. She was welcomed on the set and for the sound of it, the image song they had in mind wasn't going to work for the movie. She probably went there in person to discuss what kind of song they wanted. More for business than pleasure.

2. Shin Kudo's whereabouts is unknown. Whether he was listed as KIA or MIA after the incident is unknown.

(aerocombatpilot @ Jun 7 2008, 05:11 PM) *

2. Didn't Shin die at the end of Macross Zero? I mean the VF-0 did crash into the ocean, although it did resurface, it then flies away and burst into feathers. I don't get it. huh.gif

There was a strong possibility that both Shin and Sara died at the end of Macross Zero. We didn't see Shin after his unit hit the water ( an impact that would easily have killed him) and we didn't see Sara after the Monster blasted her. I remember at the time that people were trying to work out if she could have survived.

I think that this was definitely done by the makers in such a way that it was ambiguous, but most people like to think that they did both survive.

I personally think that they did and then Trancended in some way to "another place". I can't help but get the feeling that this is also how Macross Frontier may end too.

Taksraven

Also, did the green lizard evolve into that creature?

Nah, Ranka forgot to bring a poke-ball, luckily Sheryl brought hers and had let Alto loose. Too bad Brera got a bit overzealous and killed the thing.

I personally think that they did and then Trancended in some way to "another place". I can't help but get the feeling that this is also how Macross Frontier may end too.

Taksraven

No, please no Escaflowne/Arjuna ending for Macross Frontier <_<

Edited by Morpheus

There was a strong possibility that both Shin and Sara died at the end of Macross Zero. We didn't see Shin after his unit hit the water ( an impact that would easily have killed him) and we didn't see Sara after the Monster blasted her. I remember at the time that people were trying to work out if she could have survived.

I think that this was definitely done by the makers in such a way that it was ambiguous, but most people like to think that they did both survive.

Taksraven

I kinda hope Frontier DOESN'T answer what happened to them...I liked the ambiguity of the ending, which could be happy or sad, depending on what you think happened.

A thing just soared through my mind: do the time passes at all on Frontier? I'll explain.

In EP 4 we may assume that Alto's training did not require just two days, but at least some months. But that's not the case, since Sheryl is deemed to leave Frontier in a week. So, alto was able to pilot a VF25 in (let's say) six days, more or less.

Then there's episode 10. How long did the shooting of the movie take? Not just one day with a subsequent fisrt screening the night after they are finished, I imagine. Let's speculate that in 2059 it is very easy to assemble a movie, there should be at least 1 month of shootings and another one to edit the film. Instead, it just seems the whole product took only, let's say, six days from beginning to end.

Amazing.

well, we are talking about a civilization that could repair and rebuild an entire city -- inside a space vessel, mind you -- in a day or so. so i'm not at all surprised. :p

I don't know if anyone else thought of this but in the kiss scene between Alto and Sheryl the music they used reminded me of the old love scenes in the old james bond movies haha!

Also, Alto's VF-25 has "007" on it right shoulder. But he is more Sakura-hime than Sean Connery.

Back to Episode 10, I am wondering if Macross Zero OVA was actually a movie made on the Macross Frontier. Maybe that is why some of the screen shots they were doing was almost identical to the OVA. <_<

i started rewatching macross zero today, and while thinking about whats going on in frontier i'm thinking

the mention that it is only fitting that Ranka plays the part of "Dr. Mao" obviously implies some sort of relationship.

the artifacts described in Zero seem like biological "war machines"(for lack of a better definition)

i'm thinking the artifacts in Zero are the Vagri seen in Frontier, and Ranka, being related in some way with "Dr. Mao"(Mao having blood similar to that found in the artifact, and transfused with that blood,

ultimately leading me to the conclusion that the vagri are seeking out Ranka and/or others related to Mao, for commonality reasons

Edited by evirus

Also, Alto's VF-25 has "007" on it right shoulder. But he is more Sakura-hime than Sean Connery.

Back to Episode 10, I am wondering if Macross Zero OVA was actually a movie made on the Macross Frontier. Maybe that is why some of the screen shots they were doing was almost identical to the OVA. <_<

The Zero OVA can't be the "Bird Human" movie, since Mao looks nothing like Ranka, and Sara doesn't look even a little like ol' What's-'Er-Name-What-Won-the-Miss-Macross-Frontier-Contest.

Now, if Yuu-chan hadn't become Hydra-food*, we might wonder...since she was the spitting image of Mao.

* Yeah, I know she wasn't eaten. I just like pretending that she was.

Just saw the episode and I'd say it was pretty good, plenty of funny parts and a nice storyline (Mac 0 was only a movie, or was the movie based on actual events?). On another note, as I have been watching this series a little voice in the back of my head keeps sayin "Alto is definately going to die by the end of this series." I don't know why but its just a random thought that keeps popping up :lol: .

i started rewatching macross zero today, and while thinking about whats going on in frontier i'm thinking

the mention that it is only fitting that Ranka plays the part of "Dr. Mao" obviously implies some sort of relationship.

the artifacts described in Zero seem like biological "war machines"(for lack of a better definition)

i'm thinking the artifacts in Zero are the Vagri seen in Frontier, and Ranka, being related in some way with "Dr. Mao"(Mao having blood similar to that found in the artifact, and transfused with that blood,

ultimately leading me to the conclusion that the vagri are seeking out Ranka and/or others related to Mao, for commonality reasons

The need for spoiler tags expired a few days ago.

WHICH artifacts in Zero seemed like Biological Weapons? Just the Birdman? And the Vajra focussing on Ranka and/or Sheryl always runs into the same problem, whatever the reason given: why did they attack Galaxy?

The Zero OVA can't be the "Bird Human" movie, since Mao looks nothing like Ranka, and Sara doesn't look even a little like ol' What's-'Er-Name-What-Won-the-Miss-Macross-Frontier-Contest.

Now, if Yuu-chan hadn't become Hydra-food*, we might wonder...since she was the spitting image of Mao.

* Yeah, I know she wasn't eaten. I just like pretending that she was.

Ermm... she wasn't the spitting image of Mao :blink: What crack are you smokin'? :)

Just saw the episode and I'd say it was pretty good, plenty of funny parts and a nice storyline (Mac 0 was only a movie, or was the movie based on actual events?). On another note, as I have been watching this series a little voice in the back of my head keeps sayin "Alto is definately going to die by the end of this series." I don't know why but its just a random thought that keeps popping up :lol: .

If this were a Tomino series from the '80s, you'd probably be right. But Macross series have a pretty high survivability rating. It's possible, but I think not very likely...

If this were a Tomino series from the '80s, you'd probably be right. But Macross series have a pretty high survivability rating. It's possible, but I think not very likely...

How can you say Macross has a high survivability rating when in the first Macross 70-90% of the planets surface was charred? Although this doesn't really cover main characters, but it's not like there haven't been main characters that have died. In general: Roy, Kakizaki, Guld, I can't speak for anything in 7 really and I don't believe Shin and Sara really died. So ok there haven't been a lot of main character deaths so if you were referring to that then I'll agree. However on the whole, a lot of people die in Macross.... just not main characters.

I'll say this, if you find yourself in a Macross-esque situation, make sure your involved in a love triangle. Then you will be 90% more likely to survive (only 90 because Guld broke that rule).

How can you say Macross has a high survivability rating when in the first Macross 70-90% of the planets surface was charred? Although this doesn't really cover main characters, but it's not like there haven't been main characters that have died. In general: Roy, Kakizaki, Guld, I can't speak for anything in 7 really and I don't believe Shin and Sara really died. So ok there haven't been a lot of main character deaths so if you were referring to that then I'll agree. However on the whole, a lot of people die in Macross.... just not main characters.

I'll say this, if you find yourself in a Macross-esque situation, make sure your involved in a love triangle. Then you will be 90% more likely to survive (only 90 because Guld broke that rule).

Good point...I should've specified that Macross CHARACTERS have a high survival rate. Yes, a few will die (even in M7...but not, IIRC, MD7), but most will survive, even (usually) some of the villains. Of course, those villains have to turn good, though.

Unlike, say, Zambot 3, or Zeta Gundam, or the biggest body count in any story ever in the history of storytelling: Ideon. (MAN, what a great ending that was! :lol: )

Still, Froniter is probably the first Macross series where there is a somewhat large number of characters who I think could be bumped off. Leon's doomed, Brera's toast, Bilra's a goner, and any list of potential worm food would, I think, have to include Ozma, Michael, Luca, Grace, Kathy, Klan, Canaria, even (ulp!) Nanase...

EDIT: As you say, the "love traingle" path to survival is not completely foolproof. I would respectfully submit that if you find yourself in a Macross-style situation, you should take some singing lessons IMMEDIATELY. And just to be on the safe side, make sure you sing pop songs, not operatic Pacific Islander songs.

Edited by Gubaba

Ermm... she wasn't the spitting image of Mao :blink: What crack are you smokin'? :)

The Hydra meal "Yuu-chan" got the same hair style as Mao I think, while Ranka got a totally different hair style.

snapshot20080606232535ap1.jpg

a better (and last) look at Yuu-chan before she turned into lunch. :ph34r::p

The good kind! ^_^

Yeah, her hair's a little lighter, but (as Morpheus said) she looks a lot more like Mao than Ranka does.

The Hydra meal "Yuu-chan" got the same hair style as Mao I think, while Ranka got a totally different hair style.

...in which the people that started the 'BIRDHUMAN' film project can deny the movie being taken from real events altogether.

:ph34r:

If the Vajra are the result of a human attempt at backwards engineering the APHOS, they may also be a deliberate result/security measure instituted by the Protoculture. An "if you try to copy our tech to closely, it'll turn around & bite you" type deal.

On the same note, they'd react to a Protoculture descendent the same way the APHOS did to Sara, in that they'd look for firm order on whether to kill or not. I'm hoping there's a little more than that behind it though, as Zero's ending looks in itself like setup for a bigger test for humanity. Of course we're still fairly early in the series, so the Vajra may not turn out to be the big eventual threat.

I don't agree with those who believe Sara & Shin died at the end of Zero, they clearly folded somewhere. Unlike the wherabouts of Hikaru & Misa, I think Zero & Frontier were designed to actually answer the question this time.

If the Vajra are the result of a human attempt at backwards engineering the APHOS, they may also be a deliberate result/security measure instituted by the Protoculture. An "if you try to copy our tech to closely, it'll turn around & bite you" type deal.

On the same note, they'd react to a Protoculture descendent the same way the APHOS did to Sara, in that they'd look for firm order on whether to kill or not. I'm hoping there's a little more than that behind it though, as Zero's ending looks in itself like setup for a bigger test for humanity. Of course we're still fairly early in the series, so the Vajra may not turn out to be the big eventual threat.

I don't agree with those who believe Sara & Shin died at the end of Zero, they clearly folded somewhere. Unlike the wherabouts of Hikaru & Misa, I think Zero & Frontier were designed to actually answer the question this time.

Sort of like AFOS put humanity on trial and now the trial continues, as in it never ended? Kind of Q, but I like the idea.

I agree, I never thought they died, they just went 'somewhere.' Also I think it is possible we may learn something of what happened to them, Zero and Frontier are definitely related and I think that was planned from the start (start of Frontier more likely than start of Zero, but both are possible).

Episode 10 was pretty good. It actually made Zero watchable, even if it remained equally nonsensical. It injected emotion and reinterpreted/double meanings into characters that were previously bland. The flying wolf pokemon thing was just outright silly, but it's one of the episodes with stronger character writing.

Well, thus far I've been VERY impressed with Macross Frontier. There hasn't been a single episode I haven't liked. I'm sure Frontier will go down as one of the best in the Macross series. As someone else said earlier, that kiddie vibe Ranka was given seems to have dissipated. With Macross TV I was rooting for Misa, but in Frontier I can't decide to who to root for.... Maybe they could share Alto....? :ph34r: I was hoping they would have delved into how and why Zero plays a roll in Frontier but oh well. Maybe in the upcoming episodes they will do just that! Also, in what episode do they talk about the V-type virus again?

Yes... Totally possible. I bet the Large Red Vajra's Spirals are genetically coded in it... proof of a relation to the AFOS/Bird Human...

Since the AFOS/Bird Human blood was used for a transfusion on Dr. Mao during Macross Zero, the Vajra must have been developed from her blood!!!! :ph34r:

Edited by Kronnang Dunn

Yes... Totally possible. I bet the Large Red Vajra's Spirals are genetically coded in it... proof of a relation to the AFOS/Bird Human...

Since the AFOS/Bird Human blood was used for a transfusion on Dr. Mao during Macross Zero, the Vajra must have been developed from her blood!!!! :ph34r:

Possible, but taking such a long time to reverse engineer it? Possible but not likely.....

Taksraven

I kinda hope Frontier DOESN'T answer what happened to them...I liked the ambiguity of the ending, which could be happy or sad, depending on what you think happened.

IF they were to answer what happened to them, it would depend on how it was done. If some old guy just walked up and said "Hi, I'm Shin!" it would look pretty stupid.

I dunno, its all really weird at the moment and even spirals on the Vajra units and the fact that we have a "Legend of Zero" movie and mention of "Dr Mao", it does not mean for sure that this series will be tied that close to M0.

I think that Shin and Sara either appearing or their fate being revealed is about as likely as Hikaru and Misa appearing.

Maybe Shin and Sara were taken by the aliens and will return during Frontier merged into a unit called "Tigerhawk" that will be trashed in the next episode. Ha, Ha. :lol::wacko::blink:

Taksraven

I just realized how Nanase reacted when Ranka kissed Alto on screen. Any chances she thought of being with Alto just went out the door. :lol:

OR, maybe Nanase thought any chances of her being with Ranka went out the door. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Taksraven