Macross Frontier Episode 10 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 10 rating  

225 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Episode 10?

• Positive (Ranka looks so cute in Mao's dress)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (Why waste time watching this when I can watch M0?)

I love 0. Could it be that the reason that ASS-1 dropped on Earth because of Aphos? I started wondering how did it end on Earth of all places a while ago when I rewatched 0.

And one other thing, have they encountered more humanoid civilazations, well there are Zolans, but still, there must be more Miclone worlds, I mean Bodolza himself (or was it Breetai) said that they are ti keep away from such worlds and that their soldiers were affected by some strange things close to such worlds.

When I think about it, Macross Universe is large, I mean the Protodevlin were the only ones from another galaxy that humans encountered, and we only saw ASS-1 and that one wreck during last episodes of SDF from Supervision Army. They have a lot of things they can explore in future series.

And I find the whole music is the force of the universe (or would that be sound), or to be more precise music controls the workings of the universe really good concept (there are concepts of god equations from somewhere as well and other similar concepts).

One thing that was mentioned in 0 has me wondering, were the first Mayan people capable of drawing power from birdman's fold reactor for their flying and levitating things, or was that because they were more in workings of the universe as PC was at that time? One could say that the Ancients from SG-1 seem to be somewhat similar in their workings, but then again it seems that PC is not around anymore except for their various legacys, be they good or bad. And we've seen at least one of the PC in that underwater fortress in M7.

The only fault of M7 was that it had a small budget, nothing else.

Most interesting is Ozma

saying, "To think that you would end up playing the role of Doctor Mao..." as he looks at the flier for the movie. Now I'm pretty sure that Mao was part of the research fleet that got Vajurized, which also lends weight to Sheryl being related to her. If Mao was part of the research team and was related to Sheryl, it would explain how a memento from her mother ended up being made out of those purple stones. Then again, Sheryl's last name and the earings could just be a red herring and Ranka is actually the relative.

Edited by ackem

My God... This episode is BEAUTIFUL! 4.gif

Unlike a lot of folks here, I can't speak or understand a lick of Japanese. Nonetheless, this episode moved me. And I can't believe

that it never occurred to me what the episode might be about, despite having the title spelled out last week.

Man. This show is really something special!

Edited by wraith1701

Most interesting is Ozma

saying, "To think that you would end up playing the role of Doctor Mao..." as he looks at the flier for the movie. Now I'm pretty sure that Mao was part of the research fleet that got Vajurized, which also lends weight to Sheryl being related to her. If Mao was part of the research team and was related to Sheryl, it would explain how a memento from her mother ended up being made out of those purple stones. Then again, Sheryl's last name and the earings could just be a red herring and Ranka is actually the relative.

Assuming

that she (and perhaps Sheryl) are related to Mao Nome (and not Sara) then that would imply that she's got the blood of the Protoculture creature in Zero, more pure than Sara's. Then perhaps that, combined with her singing is part of what seems to attract the Vajra (they always seem to activate when Ranka sings). Perhaps that's why Leon's so paranoid about Ranka. Perhaps, if Mao was on that research vessel, something about her attracted the Vajra, and Leon's scared the same thing'll happen if Ranka is discovered, hence why he keeps doing whatever he can to ensure that she remains in obscurity. He failed this time because the Mao part was a spur-of-the moment thing and no one was keeping an eye on her (or Brera was, but didn't realize she had the part at the time when he saved her life).

That "Doctor Mao" statement is definitely very interesting regardless.

Spurs lots of theories.

For example, I don't think the Vajra and whatever viral contagions they may pass on are the same as the Protoculture thing we saw in Zero; I'd like to think that they're either off-shoots or rivals. Or perhaps, the living weapons of the Protoculture that are sent to wipe out hostile forces in the Universe (like they tried to do when Sara interfaced with the creature). Or maybe Sara made contact with more Protoculture creatures and now they're all on the look out for blood relatives (while wiping out hostile forces of the Universe).

In any case, I'm very interested in seeing where this is all leading up.

Oh, and did anyone notice

the UN Spacey kite logo on the VF-0? So it's not like they're ignoring it; something major definitely happened within the organization before 2050 or so.

Also, since my Japanese is kind of rusty,

did Luca say that they were using VF-20s in the movie, posing as VF-0s through the use of CG? Edit: Never mind. He said VF-25; missed the "go" at the end there. It's just that the plane without markings looked like a different Valkyrie.

Edited by sdf2501

Going by his arm after the fight, is Brera a cyborg? Someone said he might be from Galaxy in prev ep discussion IIRC

:ph34r:

Based on the fact that they keep mentioning that people on Galaxy are fond of implants, I'd hazard to say that Brera has some that, among other things, gives him super speed, agility, and strength.

Going by his arm after the fight, is Brera a cyborg? Someone said he might be from Galaxy in prev ep discussion IIRC

:ph34r:

That's what it looks like to me. I'm thinking that what I've seen speculated about on other threads is probably true-

The Vajra are some military bio-weapons project gone wrong, and Brera is part of a government sponsored 'clean-up' squad sent out to clean up the government's mess.

One other question: is the voice actor of the actor playing Shin the same as the voice actor that played Shin in Zero? It sounds like the same guy to me. If so, then that's pretty funny. Would be even better if the voices of Miranda and Ranka were played by the actresses of Sara and Mao, but I suppose that'd be too much to ask for.

I just hope the writers don't go over a line and bring in so much stuff from past episodes that casual viewers become confused and disinterested.

The bottom line is that all of these easter eggs they're throwing in has no impact whatsoever on the story. So it should still be accessible to new or casual viewers.

That said, if you've been following Macross for the last 25 years, there's so much here to enjoy. It is obviously a love letter to the fans as much as anything.

I don't know you, but this episode gave me shivers of pleasure. Beautiful.

Oh,

and my beloved UN kite is baaaaack

!

I just hope the writers don't go over a line and bring in so much stuff from past episodes that casual viewers become confused and disinterested.

The writers can do whatever they want. This series rock!

Edited by Nexx Stalker

FYI, the information on "Sakurahime azuma bunsho" that Cathy and the Bridge Bunnies (for lack of a better term) are looking at on their terminal on the Quarter is taken directly from this page here:

http://www2.ntj.jac.go.jp/unesco/kabuki/en/5/5_04_16.html

So you don't need access to the HD raw to read what's on the screen (although it helps; I doubt that you'd be able to make out the wording if it was on standard-def 420p).

The episode wasn't too bad. I cringed really bad at the middle sequence though.

As ackem points out above, the most interesting bit is

Ozma's reference to "Doctor Mao." Brela Sterne being a cyborg (which explains why he's able to survive the insane moves of his VF) comes in a close second.

heh... Or atleast have the decency to look him in the eye when you shoot him.

You do realize that in VF combat shooting someone in the back is unavoidable. :lol:

I think azrael should have shot sketchley while the sun was to his back. Like.......

macross1.jpg

ZOMG!!! azrael vs. sketchley :ph34r:

BTW, nice episode if the screen caps floating around are to be believed. ^_^

Edited by grss1982

I don't know you, but this episode gave me shivers of pleasure. Beautiful.

I completely agree with you. This episode was cool on multiple levels. For me, Macross Frontier is quickly evolving from an enjoyable diversion to possibly one of my all-time favorite anime series. ^_^

I just watched ep 10 and it seems like

the person commanding brera isnt grace afterall

She's(?; with anime, you never know if it's a girl, or a guy voiced by a girl) dressed in a suit and tie which either implies she's the stereotypical corporate type, or the stereotypical government agent. I don't think she's military, but who knows.

My money's on corporate and she represents General Galaxy.

Actually, I just realized I haven't seen the last episode. I should probably watch it. :D

Err... of Macross Zero that is.

I keep trying to finish it, but for some reason it keeps turning to Arjuna in the end. :ph34r:

Hehehe, kidding aside, I actually just saw eps. 4 & 5 yesterday, on youtube, at work while my boss was away on a meeting.