About the Macross Chronicles

Back to the subject of gun pods from Macross Chronicle #22.... I'm surprised that no one has made a comment concerning the mislabeling of the VF-11B's 30mm Vulcan gun pod as "GU-15". The GU-15 is of course the YF-19/VF-19's gun pod. This isn't the first mistake I've noticed with the Chronicles. There are actually quite a few. Perhaps a separate pinned errata thread is needed.

-Nanashi's Information Group

Back to the subject of gun pods from Macross Chronicle #22.... I'm surprised that no one has made a comment concerning the mislabeling of the VF-11B's 30mm Vulcan gun pod as "GU-15". The GU-15 is of course the YF-19/VF-19's gun pod. This isn't the first mistake I've noticed with the Chronicles. There are actually quite a few. Perhaps a separate pinned errata thread is needed.

-Nanashi's Information Group

What can I say, the editors aren't paying attention. It's been like that since #1. I believe they labeled a VF-1S as a VF-1J, the VF-22's gunpod as a GV-17L, then a BP-14D. There are typos every couple of issues so I'm not surprised.

It says "8-engined all-wing giant['s] bomber" referring to the Northrop [Grumman] err, I mean Wingthrop SB-10/10 seen in Macross Plus and designated with the PlayStation video game Macross VF-X 2. The word 'giant' does not refer to the enormous size of the aerospace craft, but rather to its operators: giant Zjentohlauedy affiliated with the U.N. Spacy/UNAF/U.N.S. Air Force.

Somehow, that seems neither wise nor efficient... is there actually precedent for that thing having Zentradi pilots? That just doesn't sound right to me for some reason...

Yeah, I did a bit of a double-take when my copy first arrived, and then Mr. March, Talos, and let loose a collective "WTF!" while discussing Chronicle in a group chat. Still, Chronicle makes mistakes and omissions every now and again, like their sudden change in labeling of the VF-22's gunpod, and their misidentifying the armaments of the VF-2SS. So a typo here and there does not surprise me much anymore. They're rushing to meet a very tight production schedule, so one can hardly blame them for a few mistakes. I'm actually amazed there haven't been MORE problems.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Yeah, Seto told us about the GU-15 error a couple weeks ago. It just seems like a typo.

But speaking of which, what happened with the VF-22 gunpod? Is it GV-17L or is it BP-14D? Is there any way to make a call on it?

But speaking of which, what happened with the VF-22 gunpod? Is it GV-17L or is it BP-14D? Is there any way to make a call on it?

Well, Chronicle #13 uses GV-17L. Later issues use BP-14D (on the Gunpod sheet and the 2nd VF-22S sheet (Max/Millia colors). Although, who's to say Max and Millia weren't using a BP-14D while Gamlin was using a GV-17L when both are made by Hughes/GE, look the same and use caseless rounds..... :wacko:

Well, Chronicle #13 uses GV-17L. Later issues use BP-14D (on the Gunpod sheet and the 2nd VF-22S sheet (Max/Millia colors). Although, who's to say Max and Millia weren't using a BP-14D while Gamlin was using a GV-17L when both are made by Hughes/GE, look the same and use caseless rounds..... :wacko:

Who's to say there's are not two different gunpods?

I may be remembering wrongly, as it's a long time since I watched it, and possibly it's an animation error, but IIRC in Macross Dynamite 7, they had the Gunpod of Gamlin's VF-22S firing and sounding like a beam gun and the forearm guns sounding like rapid fire projectile cannon.

Graham

Macross Chronicle #27:

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-19 Excalibur

* Noputi Baganis 5631

* Macross 7 Fleet Aircraft

* CVS-101 Prometheus

Character Sheet

* Lynn Minmay

* Britai Kridanik

* Hikaru Ichijo / Misa Hayase

* Docker [DO-KAAAAAAAAAA!!! ^_^ ]

Timeline Sheet

* The Truth about 7 Years Previous

History Sheet

* The Vajra Battleships Attack

World Guide Sheet

* Macross City

Glossary Sheet

* Imulator~Space Destroyer

Song Sheet

* Riding in your Valkyrie / Now, a Friend

Goods Sheet

* CM's Corporation Macross Collection

* Macross Crusade (Start Up Sheet)

Edited by Gubaba

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-19 Excalibur

* Macross 7 Fleet Aircraft

* CVS-101 Prometheus

VF-19S!!! There's more? There's a B-sheet? (respectively)

Character Sheet

* Lynn Minmay

I lost track of what sheet were on for her....

Timeline Sheet

* The Truth about 7 Years Previous

Which 7 years?

Milkin' this OAV aren't they....

Well, they're not stretching it out NEARLY as much as they did the latter episodes of SDFM.

And hey! There hasn't been ANYTHING about the VF-1 in the Mechanic Sheets for quite a while now!

Could it be? A possible answer to the age old Macross fan debate: did Guld actually rape Myung or was it just an assault? :)

Nah, they'll leave it intentionally vague, just like they did last time...

I'm looking forward to the first (probably of two) Flashback 2012 character sheets... and hopefully soon we'll get a VF-4 Lightning III sheet.

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I am finding about Chronicle is that with a year under its belt they could already publish an artbook with all the paintings that have appeared in it thus far! :blink:

Edited by Zinjo

Can anyone shed some light on why this would be discontinued on HLJ? Are the contents of this particular issue something of a hot item that they are sold out? Note that it is not listed as "backordered" or "out of stock".

http://www.hlj.com/product/SHPMC23

It's the only issue on HLJ that is listed as "discontinued". I'm just hoping that my order went through in time to have a copy reserved for my order shipment.

I'd like to point out that it is listed as "In Stock" at HMV.

Edited by sharky

Can anyone shed some light on why this would be discontinued on HLJ? Are the contents of this particular issue something of a hot item that they are sold out? Note that it is not listed as "backordered" or "out of stock".

It's the only issue on HLJ that is listed as "discontinued". I'm just hoping that my order went through in time to have a copy reserved for my order shipment.

From the HLJ website:

Out-of-stock items are displayed with squares (in-stock items with circles). Black squares with a "jolly roger" skull and crossbones indicate items that we have no stock of, and can no longer acquire from our suppliers.

Because there is no chance of getting such items in the near future, we don't accept orders for them. Keep in mind, however, that other merchants could very well have stock of such items, particularly stores outside of Japan.

In addition, companies such as Tamiya, Bandai and others will frequently place older products on a long-term reissue cycle. Products like these may be issued only once every few years. Between these long reissues, the products will show as discontinued on our web site if we're out of stock, but they may very well be available again at some point in the (distant) future.

In layman's terms, HLJ doesn't know when they will get another shipment of that item. They do it sometimes to prevent people from ordering when they have no clue on when their next shipment from their distributor will come. You can always e-mail HLJ and ask when they may get it back in stock.

Who's to say there's are not two different gunpods?

I may be remembering wrongly, as it's a long time since I watched it, and possibly it's an animation error, but IIRC in Macross Dynamite 7, they had the Gunpod of Gamlin's VF-22S firing and sounding like a beam gun and the forearm guns sounding like rapid fire projectile cannon.

Graham

Okay, I think I've discovered a possible reason why Kawamori and Co. changed the designation for the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II gun pod from GV-17L to BP-14D. I believe they realized that the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II gun pod shares the same number as the VF-25 Messiah gun pod. They appear to have changed the GV-17L gun pod to the BP-14D gun pod designation in order to avoid confusing it with the GU-17A/V on the VF-25 Messiah. Maybe.

Alternatively, it could be as Graham said and the BP-14D gun pod could be a beam gun based on the brief appearance of Gamlin's VF-22 Sturmvogel II in the Macross Dynamite 7 OVA series. That would mean the GV-17L is still valid and meant to distinguish the projectile weapon from the beam-type BP-14D gun pod. Of course, this would require the Chronicle to make a distinction, but I don't think it does. However, the beam designation isn't without precedent, since there is the BGP-01β 55mm heavy quantum reaction beam gun pod / beam grenade of the VF-27 Lucifer in Macross Frontier, which some of us have assumed to mean BGP = Beam Gun Pod. If so, BP might = Beam Pod. Maybe.

Anyway, some stuff to consider :)

Okay, I think I've discovered a possible reason why Kawamori and Co. changed the designation for the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II gun pod from GV-17L to BP-14D. I believe they realized that the YF-21/VF-22 Sturmvogel II gun pod shares the same number as the VF-25 Messiah gun pod. They appear to have changed the GV-17L gun pod to the BP-14D gun pod designation in order to avoid confusing it with the GU-17A/V on the VF-25 Messiah. Maybe.

...blah blah blah...

Unfortunately, the BP-14D, is referred to as a "multipurpose gun pod" so I won't be so sure that it's a beam weapon. And as a slight correction since I didn't get the issue till recently, it's also made by Howard (i.e. Howard BP-14D multipurpose gun pod).

Just speculation; the book may not be re-printed (or, with no definite plan to), so it is discontinued to HLJ. Because it is not something they can restock, so it's not stated as out of stock either.

HMV just hasn't sold out the stocks yet so it is still in stock.

BTW, issue #23 is a HOT issue; I used to purchase my Macross Chronicle in a shop and their MC stocks usually last for a week or more. For this issue it was sold out in 2 days.

Unfortunately, the BP-14D, is referred to as a "multipurpose gun pod" so I won't be so sure that it's a beam weapon. And as a slight correction since I didn't get the issue till recently, it's also made by Howard (i.e. Howard BP-14D multipurpose gun pod).

I noticed that some of the gunpods and stuff on the YF-21 and VF-22 is made by "Howard" on one model, and "Hughes" on the other.

Hmm..

I noticed that some of the gunpods and stuff on the YF-21 and VF-22 is made by "Howard" on one model, and "Hughes" on the other.

Yep.

YF-21 - Howard/Zeneraru(?) GV-17L

VF-22S (Gamlin) - Hughes/GE GV-17L

VF-22S (Max/Milia) - Howard BP-14D

:wacko:

Well, they do name the VF-17 Nightmare gun pod the MC-17, which Seto Kaiba speculated might mean "Multipurpose Cannon", since the gun is both a projectile weapon and a beam gun (Beam Adaptor). So the BP-14D might mean "Beam/Projectile" gun pod. Perhaps.

Edited by Mr March

Oh, Az-ra-elllllll...it's baAAAAaaack... :p

Chronicles #28:

Mechanic Sheet

* VF-1S Strike Valkyrie

* VF-0A Phoenix

* Vehicles of Planet Zola

Character Sheet

* Hikaru Ichijo

* Roy Focker

* Sara Nome

* Elma Hoyley

Timeline Sheet

* The Macross Rises

History Sheet

* Operation Stargazer

Technology Sheet

* Zentradi Mobile Weapons

Glossary Sheet

* AIF-9V ~ SF-3A Lancer II

Song Sheet

* New Frontier / Feel Universe

Goods Sheet

* Takatoku Toys 1/55 VF-1 Series

* CM's Corporation Macross Collection

Was Phoenix ever declared the "official" name before this? I still like the idea that it's actually named "Zero" like the A6M... (and AFAIK, canonically, the VF-25 is still just *nicknamed* Messiah)

This is all one giant "A-10: Warthog vs Thunderbolt" question.

Oh, Az-ra-elllllll...it's baAAAAaaack... :p

What do you mean? You're the one who was yapping about it.

And hey! There hasn't been ANYTHING about the VF-1 in the Mechanic Sheets for quite a while now!

Now who's got the big mouth? <_<

great mechanics DX9 has 22 pages on VFs from 0 to 27 and looks like some info on the PPB punch and MDEs. quite a bit of line art but it seems nothing new.

issue also has mecha from Rideback.

back to MC, i'm up to #25 but contemplating whether i should continue. have any of the previous Chronicle-type publications ever been compiled into book form?

back to MC, i'm up to #25 but contemplating whether i should continue. have any of the previous Chronicle-type publications ever been compiled into book form?

Not a compilation, but I think there's an illustration book from the Evangelion Chronicles:

http://www.jpqueen.com/onlineshop/productinfo.asp?PID=91528

edit: changed link for a better one

Edited by GGemini

Not a compilation, but I think there's an illustration book from the Evangelion Chronicles:

http://www.jpqueen.com/onlineshop/productinfo.asp?PID=91528

edit: changed link for a better one

There are also two Eva Chronicles books (although the first one seem to have gone out of print): Essential Chronicles Side A and Essential Chronicles Side B. I have both of those, but I never got the magazine, so I don't know how much ended up in the books, and how much got left out.

Anyway, that indicates there's hope for Macross Chronicles book (or two. Or three).