About the Macross Chronicles

Don't get your hopes up...it seems to me that most of the character sheets don't go through the character's backstory much...and how many pages each character gets seems to depend less on how important they are and more on how many outfits they wear (I'm a-lookin' at YOU, Mylene!).

I know, I know... but hope springs eternal, even for this jaded Macross II fan.

Since I'm really not too enthused about the current offerings in #22-24, I'm probably gonna wait 'till #25 before I order again.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I know, I know... but hope springs eternal, even for this jaded Macross II fan.

Since I'm really not too enthused about the current offerings in #22-24, I'm probably gonna wait 'till #25 before I order again.

If you want to PM me about what to look for in the Hibiki sheet, I'll let you know if it's there or not.

I doubt they've been "de-canonized," if that's what you're getting at. They probably just deem them important enough to include.

In Chronicle, though, it seems like they should at least include an Extra Report in the Max and Millia pages about M3...

What I would've liked is some embellishment on those "missing" 30 years.

Anyhow, quickie review of MC #23

SV-51 - at first glance, Hidetaka Tenjin's painting looked like a CG model to me. Parts of it still do, under closer examination. Must be the texture that he's painted it with. It looks like there'll be at least a B sheet. We've only got DD's version. The girl? The super packs (yeah, yeah, I know they're not called that)? The tawny SV-51? Fingers crossed for a C sheet, too.

VF-11 MAXL Kai Mireena Specialized Fighter - some hard stats on the sound booster. Yay! (Not a lot. Length, width and weight).

Miria Warship AKA Meltrandi Gunboat - next to no new stats; neither weapons it's outfitted with nor Queadlunn-Rau it carries. Disappointed. <_<

Vehicles of Eden - aside from the main characters' vehicles, there's also lineart for the hospital bike and the limo. The city bus and vehicular traffic gets only passing mention in a pair of small paragraphs. I was hoping for a bit more on those. Ah well.

Mireena Furea Jiinasu - G sheet! I don't think we're finished with this character for another sheet or two...

Macross 7 gallery sheets - groovy

MII UN Spacy People - on the brass/senior base command staff. Looks like there *may* be some new info in the text. I'll leave it to Saito to clarify.

Timeline - YF-21 test flight/Guld taking out Isamu through to Maaji buying the self-aware data chip. Why couldn't we get more on the missing 30 years?!

Sheryl Nome Concert history sheet - hmmm... has a play list of the two major concerts, as well as other singing appearances in the series.

Tech Sheet Song Energy - begins with a kick-a$$ illo of Basara belting out red spiritia. Reverse has 3 different kinds of song energy effect by Basara (empower, sound weapon, and anti-protodevlin) with an extra report on Minmei. The second page goes into the rest of the Soundforce team, their mecha, equipment, and Jamming Birds. The reverse has sound energy used in the other series (M0, M7D, M+, MF). Intersting.

song sheet - "our satori are just floating in the core, where we can spiritially go through the door, we'll know how to get eternal life, while we catch the pulse from unknown satellites" and "Quele? Quele? Bouche encorner quele, non non petit personnage, passe pase heures, comme par le passe, non non petitioin naires rien". Anyone else have a French speaker tell you how butchered the singer pronounces the lyrics? <_<

VF100's - VF-25G? Whut? Oh yeah.

Macross Klan Klan - does she really need her own figure?! I can understand the Monster Girl... Reverse has "Macross Fortune (telling)". Not sure how 13 figures fits into 12 months (or 12 years, depending which one you use). Maybe Oosansouuo is supposed to go with Ranka. But how the heck does he fit into the triangle? He's a frikken mobile phone! I'm so confused. :wacko:

#24 - wait a second, I thought the VF-22 had two gun pods on the belly? Or is that only how Tenjin's rendered them in his picture?

I really find it hard to get worked up about this one... there's really not a lot worth saying about the ships, and what little worthwhile information there is, I already have.

What's got my attention is the Hibiki Kanzaki character sheet... which will hopefully confirm some of the details about how he got hired into SNN (reportedly he covered a BIG scandal, but they don't say what) and maybe even mention the 2082 Zentradi invasion that inspired him to become a reporter.

We could get some more dimensions, masses and weapons. That's really all we need. But you're right of course, there really isn't much to say about them. I just like having something to fill in the profiles :)

Extra odds and ends:

- the Vehicles of Eden is a Civilian 02a sheet. What could 01 be? The Stellar Whale?

- back cover: two new Macross CDs: Band Score Macross F Best Score, and Band Score Fire bomber best Score. The Fire Bomber one looks intruging (as I don't have any of their CDs), but the MF one??? Talk about trolling for money... the same frikken songs on 3 CDs now. (Not including singles) >.<

I figured out a good way to organize the binders:

1: Mechanic, Technology, Worldguide

2: Character, Timeline, History

3: the rest

We could get some more dimensions, masses and weapons. That's really all we need. But you're right of course, there really isn't much to say about them. I just like having something to fill in the profiles :)

Dimensions? I already got at least part of that. The only dimensions I've seen for them are their lengths, which are repeated over and over again in multiple publications. (There's something to be said for their consistency, I guess...) As far as weapons, we're gonna get "many x guided beam cannons", and for a few ships, converging beam cannons. I'd love to find out how many mecha those ships are carrying, but odds are we won't get that much. At least the Gigamesh article cleared up the vague statements about Feff's being one of a kind.

My guess would be the sheet will cram all four main classes of Mardook ship onto a single sheet, though I wouldn't be terribly surprised if Feff's scoutship and Ingues's mobile fortress got mecha sheets of their own.

MII UN Spacy People - on the brass/senior base command staff. Looks like there *may* be some new info in the text. I'll leave it to Saito to clarify.

<_< Are you EVER going to get my name right? Seriously, just call me "Mike" if it'll help you remember.

Edited by Seto Kaiba

I can't bring myself to break them apart! :(

Plus i like the hardcover, and the randomness... and the fact i don't need to buy more than one binder/folder! :lol:

am i aloneeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i got 1 binder, and the first 5 issues, the quality is divine and way up there with my Gold book and other favs.

Love the posters!!

I've got 6 - 10 issues ready to be sent, i plan on getting all of them of course. Love the chronicles!

Edited by ruskiiVFaussie

I can't bring myself to break them apart! :(

Plus i like the hardcover, and the randomness... and the fact i don't need to buy more than one binder/folder! :lol:

am i aloneeeeeeeeeeeeeee

i got 1 binder, and the first 5 issues, the quality is divine and way up there with my Gold book and other favs.

Love the posters!!

I've got 6 - 10 issues ready to be sent, i plan on getting all of them of course. Love the chronicles!

You are not alone!

I am still keeping them intact... I'll most probably keep it that way till all issues are out, and I'll think again what I will do.

You are not alone!

I am still keeping them intact... I'll most probably keep it that way till all issues are out, and I'll think again what I will do.

Come on, say it with me, I know you're dying to do it... "riiiiiiiiiiiippppppppppppp it appppppppppppaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttt".

Extra odds and ends:

- the Vehicles of Eden is a Civilian 02a sheet. What could 01 be? The Stellar Whale?

- back cover: two new Macross CDs: Band Score Macross F Best Score, and Band Score Fire bomber best Score. The Fire Bomber one looks intruging (as I don't have any of their CDs), but the MF one??? Talk about trolling for money... the same frikken songs on 3 CDs now. (Not including singles) >.<

Aren't those books, not CDs...? "band score" = sheet music, no? Ad CDs don't have ISBNs...

Having just picked up the issue today, I haven't had time to really sit down with it...but I'm rather shocked that it looks like we're STILL not done with Mylene yet...

Aren't those books, not CDs...? "band score" = sheet music, no? Ad CDs don't have ISBNs...

Having just picked up the issue today, I haven't had time to really sit down with it...but I'm rather shocked that it looks like we're STILL not done with Mylene yet...

Hmmm...

(performs google-fu)

Indeed. http://www.kmp.co.jp/Shinkan/shinkan0904.html#k

Come on, you know you want to b*tch about Mylene's million outfits just like I complain about the VF-1's many entries.

Come on, you know you want to b*tch about Mylene's million outfits just like I complain about the VF-1's many entries.

Erm, yes. Quite so.

I mean, I hate it when characters in cartoons wear the SAME DAMN CLOTHES episode in and episode out, but really...six or seven pages devoted to Mylene just because her parents are higher-ups and probably got a free wardrobe for their kid? Jeez...

Pity poor Misa...she only has a couple of different outfits, and thus only has a couple of pages covering her entire story... :(

The official Frontier blog has the preview of Chonicles issue 25 up.

Cover mecha is the VA-3C!!!!? WTF, I'd have much rather they have gone with the much nicer looking (IMO) VA-3M from VF-X2.

I wonder if this lends weight to the theory that the events of VF-X, VF-X2 and M3 are no longer canon, as they seem to be completely excluding them from Chronicles. :(

Looks like a free card from the upcoming card game is included as a gift.

Graham

post-11-1243570705_thumb.jpg

post-11-1243570721_thumb.jpg

post-11-1243570730_thumb.jpg

post-11-1243570741_thumb.jpg

post-11-1243570757_thumb.jpg

I wonder if this lends weight to the theory that the events of VF-X, VF-X2 and M3 are no longer canon, as they seem to be completely excluding them from Chronicles. :(

Maybe they just want to stick to the animated works and not the games. Not place them out of canon but just not cover them.

I wonder, did Gundam Files or whatever their "Chronicle" was called, avoid the games?

Maybe they just want to stick to the animated works and not the games. Not place them out of canon but just not cover them.

I wonder, did Gundam Files or whatever their "Chronicle" was called, avoid the games?

I don't know about the Gundam Files, but I have the two books of Evangelion Chronicle, and there isn't anything about the games in those.

That said, Macross Chronicle DOES have an (as yet unused) icon for "ä»–" and they specifically state that's for games and things like that.

I guess they're saving that for the end, along with "Glossary Sheet" and "Tribute Sheet."

Contrary to my expectations, Chronicle's been paying a lot of attention to Macross II lately. Color me surprised.

I figured that issue 21 was gonna be a one-shot, but they've had one or more Macross II pages in each issue since (except #22). Sylvie, the VF-2SS, the Mardook fleet, the U.N. Spacy officers, Hibiki, and now Ishtar...

Sweeet bejeezus, that's a sweet looking VA-3C Kai with aerospace boosters!

Hopefully we will get some nice Tenjin Hidetaka paintings of some of the VFs that showed up in the games. Hopefully.

Macross F blog: http://www.macrossf.com/blog/

I'm sure Sedou will be most impressed by the Mardooku pickle sheet. Especially as it looks like it'll be consistant with all of the other support ship sheets released to date: that's two ships per page.

Re: the giveaway card - scanlation from #23

"Bandai will start selling the "Macross Crusade" card game from June, 2009. In a special collaboration, in issue 25 a Macross Crusade card will be included. Have fun."

Dimensions? I already got at least part of that. The only dimensions I've seen for them are their lengths, which are repeated over and over again in multiple publications. (There's something to be said for their consistency, I guess...) As far as weapons, we're gonna get "many x guided beam cannons", and for a few ships, converging beam cannons. I'd love to find out how many mecha those ships are carrying, but odds are we won't get that much. At least the Gigamesh article cleared up the vague statements about Feff's being one of a kind.

Yeah, but I'm hoping for embellishment. Width, height, weapon count, mecha count, that sort of thing.

Awmaigawd, look at these illustrations!

products131_12.jpg

products131_10.jpg

Whoohoo! VF-1A Valkyrie U.N. Headquarters Guard. I like it when the Chronicle picks up on those little details. :)

I don't know about the Gundam Files, but I have the two books of Evangelion Chronicle, and there isn't anything about the games in those.

That said, Macross Chronicle DOES have an (as yet unused) icon for "ä»–" and they specifically state that's for games and things like that.

I guess they're saving that for the end, along with "Glossary Sheet" and "Tribute Sheet."

I suspect that the Chronicle will not cover the games and just stick to the animated works. The games will probably get mention in the merchandise sections, but I don't think they'll get recognition from the other sections. I'm digging around for info about the Gundam Fact Files, but I suspect it was the same. They only covered the animated works and left the games in merchandising sections.

• 2 weeks later...

Chronicles #25:

Machanic Sheet

* VA-3C Kai Invader

* SDF-1 Macross

* Zentradi Forces Pod [This had better be a "B" Sheet...I WANT A TEMJIN GLAUG, DAMMIT!]

* YF-19

Character Sheet

* Ishtar

* Galactic Whale Poachers

* The People of Macross Frontier N.U.N.S.

Timeline Sheet

* To the Edge of the Connection of Hate

History Sheet

* Riot on Gallia 4

Technology Sheet

* Reaction Weapons

Glossary Sheet [WOW! It FINALLY makes its debut!]

* "Armored Pack" to "Atlantis Dome"

World Guide Sheet

* The United Earth Government

Song Sheet

* SEVENTH MOON / MY FRIENDS

Goods Sheet

* Bandai Macross Crusade

* Bandai High-Metal Series

I'd kill for translations of that "Reaction Weapons" page. Yum! :)

If you ask nicely, I might add it to my to-do list. :p

Some of my translators are off on vacation, so I'm stalled for the time being. I'd love to get another VF from Macross II in Chronicle soon, but I guess I can content myself with character sheets for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...

Chronicle #26:

Mechanic Sheet

* Queadluun-Rea

* SV-51

* ARMD

* 8-Winged Giant Bomber [...the hell? :blink: ]

Character Sheet

* Klang Klan

* Graham Hoilie

Timeline Sheet

* Project Suspended

History Sheet

* The Battle to Prevent Returning to Earth [What's this? SDFM Episode 13?]

World Guide Sheet

* Macross Frontier Fleet

Technology Sheet

* Variable Fighter / History and Development (1)

Glossary Sheet

*Anata no oto ~ Ima wa Tomodachi

Goods Sheet

* Bandai Macross Crusade

* Yamato 1/60 Destroid Series

Finally, some good stuff about the Q-Rea. And I hope the SV-51 is more enlightening this time around. Give us more stats :)

The bomber is oddly described, but could it be the SB-10/10 Starwing Heavy Bomber from Macross Plus?

And speaking of Macross Plus, the battle to prevent returning to Earth could be Sharon's control over the orbital defense system. Maybe?

Finally, some good stuff about the Q-Rea. And I hope the SV-51 is more enlightening this time around. Give us more stats :)

The bomber is oddly described, but could it be the SB-10/10 Starwing Heavy Bomber from Macross Plus?

And speaking of Macross Plus, the battle to prevent returning to Earth could be Sharon's control over the orbital defense system. Maybe?

You're probably right about the bomber, but I really don't think the History Sheet can be Plus-related. Plus History Sheet 02 is "Sharon Apple Tour (Eden Concert)" and Sheet 03 is "The Sharon Apple Incident," leaving no room inbetween. (And I'm pretty sure 01 will have to be "Project Supernova." ^_^ )

The SV-51 is probably gonna be a B-sheet with the extra parts from episode 5 of M0.

"Project Suspended". So an entire sheet for that 1 episode.....

Q-Rea....It would be nice to get a confirmation of "Q-Rea" or "Q-Rare", first. I don't want to have to wait for the 1/72 model to get that answer.

Okay, so I'm not the only one who did a double-take and then couldn't figure that one out.

My first thought was the SB-10 Starwing, but that clearly doesn't have 8 wings... could this possibly be the first of the ETC sheets, featuring one of those wacky terrorist mecha from the Macross Digital Mission VF-X games? Like the Annabella Lasiodora mobile weapon?

Technology Sheet

* Variable Fighter / History and Development (1)

For one wild moment, I thought this might include a reprint of the VF History article from Macross II...

Edited by Seto Kaiba

Q-Rea....It would be nice to get a confirmation of "Q-Rea" or "Q-Rare", first. I don't want to have to wait for the 1/72 model to get that answer.

Heh, how would you like your 'Q', rare, medium or well done? It ain't a steak ya' know. :)

It says "8-engined all-wing giant['s] bomber" referring to the Northrop [Grumman] err, I mean Wingthrop SB-10/10 seen in Macross Plus and designated with the PlayStation video game Macross VF-X 2. The word 'giant' does not refer to the enormous size of the aerospace craft, but rather to its operators: giant Zjentohlauedy affiliated with the U.N. Spacy/UNAF/U.N.S. Air Force.

-Nanashi's Information Group

Chronicle #26:

Mechanic Sheet

The word 'giant' does not refer to the enormous size of the aerospace craft, but rather to its operators: giant Zjentohlauedy affiliated with the U.N. Spacy/UNAF/U.N.S. Air Force.

WAT? :blink: