Macross Frontier Episode 9 Talkback Thread *READ 1st Post*

azrael

Episode 9 Rating  

207 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate episode 9?

• Positive (Michael and Klan put an arrow my heart..awwwwww)
    • No Opinion/Neutral
    • Negative (I can shoot better than that womanizer)

Well than, maybe we'll get to see that Zentraedi plasma rifle Alto picked up adapted for variable fighter use.

More advanced maybe, but both planes were hitting the same performance benchmarks (in fact I recall seeing that the YF-19 was actually exceeding the YF-21).

Well, I'm curious. In Mac+, towards the end of the evaluation period, the YF-19 performed better than the YF-21. However, in their final fight over Earth, before Ghost came into the picture, it seems both pilots were on equal terms? <_<

Well, I'm curious. In Mac+, towards the end of the evaluation period, the YF-19 performed better than the YF-21. However, in their final fight over Earth, before Ghost came into the picture, it seems both pilots were on equal terms? <_<

Isamu was holding back, while Guld was all out to kill him. After all, Isamu did remember what really happened between Guld, Myung, and himself, while Guld didn't, so he wasn't going to kill someone he ultimately still cared about.

since the preview of episode 10 was still part of the ep9 broadcast....

correct me if i'm wrong, but the set up of that beach village in the preview is very similar to (or a downright replica of) the village in mac0, right? when ranka was looking out the window at the city lights, it was mao nome all over again. so the frontier fleet's recreational vessel just happened to have a duplicate of the maya village? (and if so, would mao be residing there?) ;)

Of course, as next ep's title indicates, it will be a reference to the events of macross 0, so what we'll be waiting to know is how much of a reference it will make to mac 0.

Brera got his @$$ kicked by Klan. She had him cold if it wasnt for his fighter able to repel that beam cannon of hers. He does not impress me. Gee, If you have invincible armor and carry a cannon that can wipe out Manhattan but your pilot skills are decent, you too can shoot up Klan. <_<:ph34r: Sounds like my opponents when I am on XBL playing rainbow 6 Vegas 2. :angry:

Anyways, what the hell kind of power supply does that VF-27 have to power that "hand cannon" Brera is carrying?

klan hit an asteroid, and his fighter did not repel that beam canon of hers.

please go back and look at it

if you cannot see well, please use VLC and do a slow motion

since the preview of episode 10 was still part of the ep9 broadcast....

correct me if i'm wrong, but the set up of that beach village in the preview is very similar to (or a downright replica of) the village in mac0, right? when ranka was looking out the window at the city lights, it was mao nome all over again. so the frontier fleet's recreational vessel just happened to have a duplicate of the maya village? (and if so, would mao be residing there?) ;)

Of course, as next ep's title indicates, it will be a reference to the events of macross 0, so what we'll be waiting to know is how much of a reference it will make to mac 0.

Well...they're making a movie based on the events of Zero, so I imagine the reference quotient will be pretty high...

And yes, the set looks like an EXACT replica...as I said before, I can't really see that pier without thinking of it blowing up, the screaming woman in the boat, the crying kid holding his dead parent's hand...

Man...I love Mac Zero, but it was kind of a downer...

klan hit an asteroid, and his fighter did not repel that beam canon of hers.

please go back and look at it

if you cannot see well, please use VLC and do a slow motion

For someone who couldn't see the Galaxy logos on the Vf-27 even after they were clearly pointed out, you sure seem to like to question other people's eyesight... <_<

For someone who couldn't see the Galaxy logos on the Vf-27 even after they were clearly pointed out, you sure seem to like to question other people's eyesight... <_<

Don't blame him lol, I also take a snapshot on that scene and found that Klan beam shot has somehow bend toward the VF-27. For the Galaxy logo, on an instant I swear I saw Pizza Hut logo there :ph34r:

Whadda mean illegal? Macross is know for its Big Guns: SDF-1, Battle 7, Klan Klan... ^_^

the gun on macross quarter, now that is illegal

it destroy a varja battleship which is like 10 times its size

weapon of mass destruction!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ban under UN and geneva convection

Well...they're making a movie based on the events of Zero, so I imagine the reference quotient will be pretty high...

And yes, the set looks like an EXACT replica...as I said before, I can't really see that pier without thinking of it blowing up, the screaming woman in the boat, the crying kid holding his dead parent's hand...

Man...I love Mac Zero, but it was kind of a downer...

Budgets for holomovies seem to be higher in Frontier than in City 7, considering they couldn't even bring in a VF-1 for Basara to act in and instead "converted" his VF-19kai into Hikaru's VF-1. :lol:

Budgets for holomovies seem to be higher in Frontier than in City 7, considering they couldn't even bring in a VF-1 for Basara to act in and instead "converted" his VF-19kai into Hikaru's VF-1. :lol:

And I thought that was just Basara being stubborn and refusing to fly something other than his valkyrie. :blink:

That, or the director insisted that the real stuffs are better than those CG and holograph. :p

I think this is how things were meant. After an initial surprise Brera got ahold of himself and started dodging again.

It didn't do him any good.

Alto scored on Brera with his gunpod during the fighter chase. Brera then flips to battroid mode and slips behind Alto (18:51), but Alto is apparently almost instantly able to get Brera back in front of him because a few seconds later Brera is running from Alto's drunken missile swarm. The missiles then generate the fireballs that Alto is able to use to pop out and surprise Brera and Alto is able to grapple Brera and drag him in front of Mikhail.

The primary information on the VF-27 comes from episode 7 and 9. Based on what I've seen so far, I suspect that the VF-25 is more responsive, whereas the VF-27 is more agile. It's somewhat hard to explain, but in episode 7 we see Alto dodge in great smooth sweeps and weaves that seemingly rely on recognizing the incoming fire patterns and avoiding them, whereas the VF-27 performs a series of sharp angles that allow it to move in an unusual fashion when it makes its run at the Vajra ship. So Brera can turn sharper than Alto can, but Alto is able to get his fighter to respond faster to changes in the situation (such as Brera changing course).

Or at least that's my theory.

For the Galaxy logo, on an instant I swear I saw Pizza Hut logo there :ph34r:

Been watching too much Code Geass?

:p

Edited by junior

Talks about Vajra-Galaxy conspiracy, guess what I found from Macross M3's page from Macross Compendium...

Features Regult, Glaug, Tomahawk, Defender, Phalanx, Gnerl, four new variable craft (VF-9, VF-14, VF-3000, Variable Graug) and entirely new concept mecha (U.N. insectoid bioweapons developed from Protoculture genetic technology and Zentradi final weapon with two different combining mecha modes depending on ending) (bold mine)

FYI, Dancing Skull squadron meet those things in 2022, and the earliest account of Vajra is on 2040.

Edited by Sulendil Ang

So as the talkback thread for Episode 9 flies off into the sunset, we bid it a fond farewell through teary eyes. It was a happy thread where people generally discussed what took place in the episode rather than debate the quality of the animation.......

.....or whatever. B))

Taksraven

who could not see vf-27 is from galaxy, even a fool will know it is from galaxy, i think you mix me up with somebody else.

i only speculate that grace/brera is working with varja, i never said brera is not from galaxy. dun mix things up. why i come out with this, is because of that bright big thing inside ranka.

So as the talkback thread for Episode 9 flies off into the sunset, we bid it a fond farewell through teary eyes. It was a happy thread where people generally discussed what took place in the episode rather than debate the quality of the animation.......

.....or whatever. B))

Taksraven

And you've done your part, my gentle friend. Thank you for teaching us to laugh about love...again.

Alto scored on Brera with his gunpod during the fighter chase. Brera then flips to battroid mode and slips behind Alto (18:51), but Alto is apparently almost instantly able to get Brera back in front of him because a few seconds later Brera is running from Alto's drunken missile swarm.

Nobody noticed that sequence contained some kind of blooper. There was no transition whatsoever in the two scenes, no loop or vector thrusting or whatelse. It can't be used as a real reference for VF abilities. Maybe the sequence was just projected to be extended in the DVD.

The way I see it, the comparison between the VF-25 and the VF-27 is more like VF-11 / VF-17 than YF-19 / YF-21.

The YF-19's advantage over the YF-21 was slightly more powerful powerplants (which should be a given since Shinnakasu was building them for both VF :rolleyes:), so it was faster while equally manouvrable (not taking into account aerodynamics, they just got the same class of vernier thrusters).

To give you data straight out of the Compendium:

YF-19

Two 42700 kg [x g] class (maximum instantaneous thrust in atmosphere; 67500 [64700] kg [x g] class in space) Shinnakasu Industry/P&W/Roice FF-2500E thermonuclear turbine engines replacing two 56500 kg [x g] class (maximum instantaneous thrust in space) Shinsei Industry/P&W/Roice FF-2200B engines in beginning specifications.

YF-21

Two 41200 kg [x g] class (maximum instantaneous thrust in atmosphere; 65200 kg [x g] class in space) Shinnakasu Industry/P&W/Roice FF-2450B thermonuclear engines.

We now can see why the YF-21 was initially superior in stats and then the YF-19 prevailed.

We still don't have enough data on the VF-25 and the VF-27, but having 4 built-in engines the VF-27 is likely to be stronger in Battroid. As for speed, if we watched ep. 07 again, we can notice Alto was trying to get in the carrier first, but when he arrived the VF-27 was already there.

One of the point of episode 08 is that Brera was simply toying with our heros. If he was to get serious things could have ended in a gleam.

FV

Edited by Final Vegeta

Did gattai ever release a .ass sub file for use with the raw for this episode I didnt see it anywhere but they did do one for episode 1-8.

EDIT: never mind just found they dropped the series :(

Edited by Sorata

We still don't have enough data on the VF-25 and the VF-27, but having 4 built-in engines the VF-27 is likely to be stronger in Battroid.

If true, then only marginally so. Alto blew off one of Brera's engines, and then was able to drag him over to where Mikhail could get a clear shot. If the VF-27 had been stronger in battroid, then it would have been Brera that was doing the dragging.

If true, then only marginally so. Alto blew off one of Brera's engines, and then was able to drag him over to where Mikhail could get a clear shot. If the VF-27 had been stronger in battroid, then it would have been Brera that was doing the dragging.

I would say maybe the Design of the 27 is not for brunt force combat but for speed and dextarity. It might be light faster and the engines perform better with the less mass that mecha might have.

Well as for the VF-27 being faster, there's the whole theory going on that Brera can withstand more Gs than normal pilots due to cybernetic implants. So it may not be that the VF-27 is overall faster than the VF-25, as much as the VF-25 might have a stricter limiter system in place so that the pilots won't get injuries if the VF-25 were to operate at full potential. Ozma was pulling off VF-27 like maneuvering in episode 7, he was all over the place!

Episode 9 side steps the main story of Macross Frontier to bring us a character piece on Michael Blanc, Valkyrie sniper extraordinaire. During a battle with the Vajra, Michael has a flashback of his sister Jessica's death and loses some of his nerve. Distracted, Michael's shot goes wide, inflicting a surface hit upon on Alto's VF-25 Battroid. After the mission is over, Alto is extremely angry and the two come to blows in the hangar.

This episode is mostly Michael's show. The story feeds us some small pieces to keep the carrot dangling, but overall episode 9 can't escape the fact it's mostly just treading water. Michael is an interesting character, but he's not Alto, Ranka or Sheryl and his character arch is not nearly as dramatic or interesting. This episode does include some interesting developments, such as Brera Sterne covert activities aboard the Macross Frontier fleet (his VF-27 somehow remaining undetected). Later in the episode, Brera's handler on the Frontier fleet orders him to destroy a UN Spacy ship that appears to be loaded with eggs of some sort, suggesting a Vajra connection. This action is ultimately what keeps episode 8 going strong and we are privy to some great mecha fights. There is also a character moment between Klan and Michael, suggesting that Klan is carrying a torch for Michael.

Episode 9 is mostly a side story with some throwaway drama and only a hint of the overall tale of the Vajra. Though there is nothing particularly wrong with the episode, the characters or the action, I find myself eager to move forward with the grander story rather than pausing to develop secondary characters. Nonetheless, I'm still in for more.

Next comes episode 10. Deculture.

Shinsen Sub is out...simultaneously with ep. 10! WOO-HOO! They''re all caught up!

...but for how long...? :ph34r:

I <3 Shinsen for playing off a thumb drive on my DVD player.

Somehow I think 9 was the most poorly translated across the board... Shinsen has an interesting choice of words but a few scenes I was still scratching my head over made alot more sense (especially the scene with Pixie Squadron).

Shinsen Sub is out...simultaneously with ep. 10! WOO-HOO! They''re all caught up!

...but for how long...? :ph34r:

GO SHINSEN!!!

Just as the show is about to start up again they catch up. Good work. As far as I am concerned their versions of the episode are my archive-quality ones. (doubt I will ever be able to get this on DVD)

Taksraven

Just watched 9 and 10 Shinsen.

Thoughts on 9:

A slow moving, dark piece about a very sad past.

This episode could well branch out into its' own mini-series - a wonderful cult noir detective flick about what really happened in the incident with Michel's sister? Perhaps it will be revealed later, or perhaps this arc will slowly but surely also gain speed - but if it is going to be a "stand alone" episode; a sad background painting to fill out Michel's character; that's fine -although indeed it is a big departure from the feeling and mood of the last episodes.

The exchange with Klan Klan is also somewhat - odd - I understand that the two are close and grew up together; but because we really don't know much about either one, and there has been no focus on either of them - their melodramatic quarrel/slap scene came across - well - extremely melodramatic.

It kind of reminded me of the scene in the new Sex and the City Movie, when Big has already driven away from the wedding, and passes Carries' limo -and the two get out - and she freaks and smashes flowers over his head while he looks like a puppy who just got castrated, and then that brunette screams "NO! JUST NO!" ---- which given the context: aka these rich people really have nothing better to get heart-attacks over?... actually makes the whole scene comedic.

That was my reaction; and quite a few people in the theater baulled with laughter at this scene too. Perhaps if the characters were more fleshed out (and I guess fans of the entire series might have seen it that way), it would have been moving - but as such it was two rich people having a hissy fit and ending like the sky is falling over nothing really...

In M:Frontier - it was just two background characters suddenly having a heated exchange...ok... that's a bit random.

On the other hand; I'm being overly critical. Since "little is known" about them; then it would make sense to give them more screen time and a back story- which is what this episode does. I guess it's just I get the feeling that the writers thought "ok! It's time for Michel to get some backstory and development which we haven't been giving him over the last 8 episodes - so let's throw it all into episode 9!" ...

I prefer if it's spread out more...

I also honestly don't undestand why in the world the "If I slept with you I would be arrested for having sex with a minor" line even made it in there.

The premise is just ridiculous. Young girls try to buy beer or smokes all the time and they get IDed - and lots of times a chick who looks 13 is 18 or 21...

With improvements in healthcare, fitness, aerobics, and a trend towards taking care of our bodies; lots of people really are "not looking their age" - fashion also helps...

Klan is not a minor. Klan is a grown woman. She looks like a minor in myclone mode - but nobody's going to arrest Mikhael...

I guess he was just making a joke - a cruel joke - to hurt Klan's feelings - since she probably myclonizes to socialize with the humans - and suddenly intsead of a beautiful woman she's a bit of a "freak" - so I guess Mikheal said that to be a jerk.

And Klan was right to slap...him...sort of...his VF's.."face" :)

What else?

Not much to say.

Film noir. Film noir. Get Sam Spade on the dead sister story pronto!

VFTF1

Sorry for the double post, but I just rewatched this and realized that the film director from Episode 10 is in this episode!

He is one of the random people that Ranka hands an mp3 of her song to!

So THAT'S where he heard it!

Cool :)

VFTF1

Sorry for the double post, but I just rewatched this and realized that the film director from Episode 10 is in this episode!

He is one of the random people that Ranka hands an mp3 of her song to!

So THAT'S where he heard it!

Cool :)

VFTF1

the mp3 song she handed out could have been the carrot song, or something else. i doubt it was aimo, otherwise the director/kawamori would have cast her as mao on the spot.

i think the first time he heard aimo was while fishing on the lake in ep 10.

as someone here pointed out, the mp3 she handed out was probably the reason she was cast in the movie as an extra.

I was probably free-associating too much. Brera's callsign is also Purple-1. Brera may have something to do with the Vajra. It's been theorized that Shin has something to do with the Vajra, therefore I'm speculating that Brera might have something to do with Shin and Sarah...

it's time to add to VFTV1's family tree:

Brera is the son of shin and sarah nome!! ^_^

but seeing as that the same family tree lists ranka as basara and mylene's lovechild, i'm kinda stumped on how to make ranka and brera related. :wacko: